Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

The Government Wants More Money

Search this Thread

Old 29 December 2010, 10:04 AM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default The Government Wants More Money

As if we are not pressed enough with increased inflation, rising taxes and in general an increased cost of living (without commensurate pay rises in the public sector) the government is hatching another plan to help us part with our cash.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-12085506

I have no problem with giving to charity, but my suspicion is that the charities promoted will be all the ones that let the government off the hook because the public services they provide aren't up to the job.

For example, Help for Heroes does a superb job of rehabilitating soldiers who have lost limbs in the line of duty - surely this is the responsibility of the government that sent them and keeps them there and should not be left to a charity because the Government is not fulfilling its duty
Old 29 December 2010, 10:08 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes saw this myself this morning and winced.

They really are taking the **** and yet they don't seem to realise it.
Old 29 December 2010, 10:11 AM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

It won't bother me saying no, the annoying thing will be if you are prompted everytime you take cash out. I would go into the branchs and complain.
Old 29 December 2010, 10:21 AM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Saying no is not an issue, I do charity in my time and space - it's the 'in-yer-face' part of it every time you turn a corner - cash-withdrawals, driver's licence renewal etc, where does it stop...

Here Lies Jon McMahon
RiP
www.helpforheroes.org.uk

_
Old 29 December 2010, 10:38 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JonMc
As if we are not pressed enough with increased inflation, rising taxes and in general an increased cost of living (without commensurate pay rises in the public sector) the government is hatching another plan to help us part with our cash.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-12085506

I have no problem with giving to charity, but my suspicion is that the charities promoted will be all the ones that let the government off the hook because the public services they provide aren't up to the job.

For example, Help for Heroes does a superb job of rehabilitating soldiers who have lost limbs in the line of duty - surely this is the responsibility of the government that sent them and keeps them there and should not be left to a charity because the Government is not fulfilling its duty
I agree but of course it's still our money that is spent admirably by Help the Heroes whether it is extracted by taxes or given to charities.

But there is something that sticks in the craw about this new idea

dl
Old 29 December 2010, 11:21 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I think firstly before anyone even considers going for this scheme the government needs to clean up the charity industry.

I have a huge distaste for charities ran like a for-profit business that is putting cash in teh bank or the pockets of its managers instead of using it for the needy. For example managers taking home excessive lavish saleries yet depending on volunteers at lower levels. Another example using chairties as an excuse to host private events...the famed "charity dinner", a chance for all the luvvies to get together and have a natter. Yet once the expenses have been accounted for, there is little left going to the actual charity.

Also the bogus charities. I must get 2 charity bin bags a week for charities that I haven't even heard of. Some have charity numbers , but that is no guarantee that what you give actually is of worthwhile benefit and getting to those to those who really are in need, and instead just being used as a means for someone to gain a income as veiled form of business and using the "charity" as means of tax-avoidance.

I also abhore charities that excessively harrass those that have donated; One reason why I have asked for my details to be removed from the BHF's records because of the bombardment I recieved. Their disgusting tatics are almost as bad as the TVLA for those who don't need a TV license.

I have to point out I have no problem with someone that works for a charity taking home a wage, but when it is excessive to the extent that it marginalises what goes to the people its supposed to help there is something wrong. Same with charities that hold back large funds in the bank (often with weak excuses justifying it) and use aggressive marketing/mail shot campaigns.
Old 29 December 2010, 11:35 AM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by ALi-B
For example managers taking home excessive lavish saleries yet depending on volunteers at lower levels.
Exactly!

I heard a story about a friend of my mum who worked in one of those high street charity shops (the ones that pay massively reduced rent and rates thus seem to be the only ones who can afford to open in town centres). She was a volunteer and questioned something with her manager who said something on the lines of "we are not a charity, we are a business that happens to give some of its profit to charity".

mb
Old 29 December 2010, 11:42 AM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Surely, giving to charity is a matter of choice. This comes across as a form of control.
What next. Hand over our pay to the government and they will give us pocket money back !!
Old 29 December 2010, 11:55 AM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Lee247
Surely, giving to charity is a matter of choice. This comes across as a form of control.
What next. Hand over our pay to the government and they will give us pocket money back !!
Shush, maybe they haven't though of that yet

Think about it though, what do you actually get - by time I've paid tax and NI I work for less than half of my salary
Old 29 December 2010, 12:04 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Think about it though, what do you actually get - by time I've paid tax and NI I work for less than half of my salary
I know, sickening isn't it. If you look at your yearly gross compared to your actual take home pay, it's enough to make you ill

This is a bit worrying too. Instead of gathering information on everyone, once a year. They now want it monthly. And they say it will reduce the burden on employers. How???

Real time information for PAYE
HMRC plan to introduce radical changes to the PAYE system. HMRC have published a consultation document "Improving the operation of Pay As You Earn: Collecting Real Time Information".
PAYE real time information means employers will send HMRC information about tax and other deductions from employees' pay when the employee is paid, rather than at the end of the year as at present.
The Exchequer Secretary to the Treasury, David Gauke MP, said:
'We are determined to improve the way the PAYE system works and real time information has the potential to reduce burdens on employers'.
HMRC's Stephen Banyard, Acting Director General Personal Tax, said:
'We are working closely with customers to develop the real time information system. We will pilot the system from April 2012 and begin to move employers onto the new system in stages over the following 18 months. We expect all employers to be using the new system by October 2013.'
The government welcomes responses to the issues and questions raised in this discussion paper by 28 February 2011.
Old 29 December 2010, 12:07 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

It's still your choice albeit they're making it easier to donate by the looks of things ... nowt wrong with that?

TX.
Old 29 December 2010, 02:17 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by f1_fan
Yes saw this myself this morning and winced.

They really are taking the **** and yet they don't seem to realise it.
+1
Old 29 December 2010, 03:14 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I think it is absolutely wrong of the goverment to try to put pressure on us in such a manner.

Giving to charity is, as has been mentioned , a personal choice and I object to Authority trying to force me into donating in such a forceful manner.

Mrs Leslie and I do not need that kind of approach from them to donate as we see fit within our personal capabilites.

Any sign of that sort of thing deserves a very rude answer!

Les
Old 29 December 2010, 03:18 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

And they wonder why there's a cash economy?

I'll give to charities when I want to and I'll not feel a jot of guilt if I don't do it every time I'm asked.

Last edited by zip106; 29 December 2010 at 03:19 PM.
Old 29 December 2010, 03:27 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Factor in the 65% tax on your petrol, then see how much you're giving these tossers.
Old 31 December 2010, 01:16 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

If they get more out of us they will give it all away anyway in an effort to become popular with other world leaders.

Les
Old 31 December 2010, 10:28 PM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

The Government already forces us to pay them our money by taxes and spends it on things that should be fund through voluntary donations via charities to the tune of 8 billion a year it is called overseas aid budget.