Embossing onto Leather?

Search this Thread

Old 28 December 2010, 12:09 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Embossing onto Leather?

Anyone know anything about this?

I want to print/emboss some white or silver lettering onto a black leather guitar strap.

Now I have done some research and it seems the standard "imprint" stuff is fine if you have a 1000 items to do but a one-off is not feasible. It's too thick to sew on letters so I think embossing is the answer although I am not entirely sure what that entails.

Now I have found a company that can do this but not cheap and so if anyone here has any comments or "knows a man that can help" please post

Many thanks, David
Old 28 December 2010, 12:28 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

Have a look here http://www.britishblades.com/forums/forum.php and the sheaths and leatherwork section

Richard
Old 28 December 2010, 12:41 PM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Thats a link I thought I'd never see on here!!

Embossing a pattern is easy enough, you can do it with a set of mole grips or clamps (thats how I did it). Personally I'd create an embossed pattern and stain the area you wanted carefully. On there there are a couple of leather meastro's but I can't remember their usernames (yes, I'm BB as well!)
Old 28 December 2010, 12:53 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys. That site certainly didn't come up in my research

I'll have a look through but I haven't seen embossing yet.

Cheers, David
Old 28 December 2010, 01:41 PM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

Hi David

Effectively you have two options, you can have artwork turned into a blocking die or you can rely on the blocker or whoever has a suitable machine to use their standard type fonts, whereby you spell out the wording you require.

Where are you based, and do you get near Hertfordshire at any stage as funnily enough its a big part of our family business (www.thehouseofpatric.com), and the blocking department was my area of expertise before swapping into sales / management.

Ideally to give you a better idea of what would be possible, I'd need to see an example of what you want embossed and a couple of pictures of the area you want this embossed. You have to be aware that the area you are embossing should be perfectly flat. If you have lumps or folds underneath the position you want to emboss this will cause issues in your finished image.

Also, as this is going on a strap, if the foiled area flexes too much, it can cause the foiling to come out.

If you have any more questions, or would like some advice, please feel free to drop me a pm or ask away on here
Old 28 December 2010, 01:43 PM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

Just out of interest, who have you approached to do the job and if you want to, give me an idea on what they quoted you and I'll tell you if I think they're taking the pee.
Old 28 December 2010, 02:01 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fitzscoob
Hi David

Effectively you have two options, you can have artwork turned into a blocking die or you can rely on the blocker or whoever has a suitable machine to use their standard type fonts, whereby you spell out the wording you require.

Where are you based, and do you get near Hertfordshire at any stage as funnily enough its a big part of our family business (www.thehouseofpatric.com), and the blocking department was my area of expertise before swapping into sales / management.

Ideally to give you a better idea of what would be possible, I'd need to see an example of what you want embossed and a couple of pictures of the area you want this embossed. You have to be aware that the area you are embossing should be perfectly flat. If you have lumps or folds underneath the position you want to emboss this will cause issues in your finished image.

Also, as this is going on a strap, if the foiled area flexes too much, it can cause the foiling to come out.

If you have any more questions, or would like some advice, please feel free to drop me a pm or ask away on here
Amazing the expertise on SN

What I need is the words I'm Bold as Love (Hendrix song title) in Axix Bold found here http://new.myfonts.com/fonts/letraset/axis-bold/ which is alleged to be similar to Hendrix's handwriting.

I have printed off the words in above font and size we want and stuck this strip onto the strap for size and location. But I haven't a clue if this is sufficient to get the job done?

The strap is smooth black good quality leather but it may be rolled up sometimes and I don't know if this will harm lettering?

Brought up in Rickmansworth (where are you?) but now in Sussex btw. The chap I have found is actually in Croxley Green but this was just from the Internet so I have no idea if he is any good. To be fair he seemed to know his stuff but I'd prefer not to take a chance.

Does above help?

David
Old 28 December 2010, 02:15 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fitzscoob
Just out of interest, who have you approached to do the job and if you want to, give me an idea on what they quoted you and I'll tell you if I think they're taking the pee.
pm sent. d
Old 28 December 2010, 02:18 PM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
Amazing the expertise on SN

What I need is the words I'm Bold as Love (Hendrix song title) in Axix Bold found here http://new.myfonts.com/fonts/letraset/axis-bold/ which is alleged to be similar to Hendrix's handwriting.

I have printed off the words in above font and size we want and stuck this strip onto the strap for size and location. But I haven't a clue if this is sufficient to get the job done?

The strap is smooth black good quality leather but it may be rolled up sometimes and I don't know if this will harm lettering?

Brought up in Rickmansworth (where are you?) but now in Sussex btw. The chap I have found is actually in Croxley Green but this was just from the Internet so I have no idea if he is any good. To be fair he seemed to know his stuff but I'd prefer not to take a chance.

Does above help?

David
Hi David,

It may be best to send me a few pics of the strap, front and back where you want it embossed, and I'll give you my honest opinion

If you can set the artwork as a high resolution black and white image, I can find out what the cost of making the die would be. If you want it in that type font you would have to go down the die route rather than using type.

The cheapest option would be for you to get the die made (deep cut mag would be the cheapest / best option) I'll give you the details of the company I use so that you get it at cost, and if its possible from looking at the pictures, I'll emboss it for you.

The only thing to be aware of, is that as its not a produce I manufacture - if anything was to go wrong, I wouldnt be able to replace it for you. Whist its rare for anything to go wrong, its only fair to let you know before hand!