Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Android On Windows Mobile Phone - Anyone tried it?

Search this Thread

Old 17 December 2010, 01:48 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Android On Windows Mobile Phone - Anyone tried it?

I've got a HTC Touch HD running Windows Mobile 6.1, haven't bothered to flash it with a new ROM so far as I'm worried about trashing it. Due an upgrade sometime next year so make start messing around more with it then.

I now see on the XDA-Developers site that there is a port of Android for it, better still it seems like you just install on an SD card, reboot from Windows and away you go, no flashing.

Sounds like it is still pretty flaky, wondered if anyone had tried it and if so was it worth the effort?
Old 17 December 2010, 03:27 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

If it's like flashing roms for a droid itll be a piece of ****.

Xda guides are pretty good to follow Aslong as you follow it by the letter you'll be fine!
Old 17 December 2010, 04:04 PM
MDS_WRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Coffin Dodger
I've got a HTC Touch HD running Windows Mobile 6.1, haven't bothered to flash it with a new ROM so far as I'm worried about trashing it. Due an upgrade sometime next year so make start messing around more with it then.

I now see on the XDA-Developers site that there is a port of Android for it, better still it seems like you just install on an SD card, reboot from Windows and away you go, no flashing.

Sounds like it is still pretty flaky, wondered if anyone had tried it and if so was it worth the effort?
I did it a few months ago on exactly the same phone as you have (and the process was easy). It was more proof of concept than anything really as processes crashed quite often, the battery life was about 2 hours in total and some things didn't work at all (I think it was the camera if I remember correctly).

You have to run the application which hard reboots it into a unix looking environment and then it boots up (and turning it off will boot back to the standard windows environment) so it's worth having to be able to play around with, but not for a replacement OS.
Old 17 December 2010, 06:31 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Just upgrade to a Desire HD
Old 20 December 2010, 10:25 AM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MDS_WRX
I did it a few months ago on exactly the same phone as you have (and the process was easy). It was more proof of concept than anything really as processes crashed quite often, the battery life was about 2 hours in total and some things didn't work at all (I think it was the camera if I remember correctly).

You have to run the application which hard reboots it into a unix looking environment and then it boots up (and turning it off will boot back to the standard windows environment) so it's worth having to be able to play around with, but not for a replacement OS.
Thought as much. Might give it a go anyway just for a laugh. Would be good if they do develop it, dual boot phone would be quite cool