Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

How not to wash your car.

Search this Thread

Old 17 December 2010, 10:56 AM
scunnered
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default How not to wash your car.

Yesterday, I noticed my black car was a gray colour with all the road salt. It was far too thick to wash by hand. So I took it to Tesco’s jet wash. This was just shortly after 6pm, so by this time, the temperature had dropped well below freezing. I just knew what was likely about to happen, but I thought it might not be as cold as I first thought.
So, firstly I used the pressure lance to soak the car and loosen the grime. This worked fine. Well, as fine as it could be considering how slippery it was under foot. The ground slopes down towards the drain, and soapy ice is far more slippery than normal ice. I struggled to keep my balance, but kept sliding towards the car.
Next, I used the foam brush and gave the car a good wash. Again, no problem apart from my feet sliding around and not being where I wanted them to be. When it came time to rinse, the soap had frozen onto the car. Rinsing was just putting an even thicker layer of ice over the frozen soap. I gave up on the rinsing.
When I eventually managed to get in the car after struggling with the frozen door for a few minutes (only falling down twice as my feet gave way on the ice), I couldn’t see out, as the windows were covered in a thick layer of soapy ice. Luckily I keep my ice scraper in the car or I’d have been going nowhere.

Never again will I attempt a jet wash in a Scottish winter. I have multiple bruises on my legs and arms to remind me.
Old 17 December 2010, 11:07 AM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ha ha, bet the staff had a good laugh anyway. Surprised the water came out of the hose, I went to put some wind in my tyres the other day and it was out of order. The petrol station staff said they'd only got it fixed that day and someone snapped the tube again. The cold weather had made the rubber brittle, so was useless.
Old 17 December 2010, 11:30 AM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

You need to use a heated one, mine goes upto about 110c (i.e steam) but use it on about 70c at this time of year. Dont wash my P&J with it though as I dont like using the hot temp on the paint but my daily driver gets washed a couple of times a week like that.
Old 17 December 2010, 12:56 PM
legb4rsk
Scooby Regular

Location: If you're not braking or accelerating you're wasting time.

It rained here yesterday afternoon.Then later in the evening it snowed a little & this caused a big freeze.The car this morning was covered with that rough lumpy ice.

Both front doors were frozen solid. I had to climb in the back door & over the seats to get in. At my age & physical condition that was some feat.

Wish we had videos of your car-wash antics & my geriactic contorsionist efforts!!

I also once thought I would park my car on a small road opposite my house one winters night. I had a steep drive & thought I would be clever & not to try & drive it up the drive in the ice in the morning.

The next morning I could not walk up the ice-covered road to get to my car!! After about 10 mins & numerous attempts to negotiate this ice sheet I had to walk up through the woods next to the road & slide back down & managed to grab the car as I slid down the slope.
Old 17 December 2010, 01:05 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

N00bs

You want to try doing it as a profession (actually don't its a pile of ****) its a bloody nightmare

Did 30 so far this morning while everybody else is still frozen or suffering from burst pipes, not managed to fall over yet, but i have a had a few complaints because people are wingy ******* and dont understand that spraying water onto a icy car can make it more icy
Old 17 December 2010, 01:20 PM
Rescue Dude
Scooby Regular

The local Tesco's has a lovely warm soap setting so no problem with freezing. Handy for 99 octane too.
Old 17 December 2010, 02:04 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by legb4rsk
slide back down & managed to grab the car as I slid down the slope.

Now that I would have paid money to see
Old 17 December 2010, 03:01 PM
Mifo
Scooby Regular

pitty you didnt get any pics
Old 17 December 2010, 06:21 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scunnered
Yesterday, I noticed my black car was a gray colour with all the road salt. It was far too thick to wash by hand. So I took it to Tesco’s jet wash. This was just shortly after 6pm, so by this time, the temperature had dropped well below freezing. I just knew what was likely about to happen, but I thought it might not be as cold as I first thought.
So, firstly I used the pressure lance to soak the car and loosen the grime. This worked fine. Well, as fine as it could be considering how slippery it was under foot. The ground slopes down towards the drain, and soapy ice is far more slippery than normal ice. I struggled to keep my balance, but kept sliding towards the car.
Next, I used the foam brush and gave the car a good wash. Again, no problem apart from my feet sliding around and not being where I wanted them to be. When it came time to rinse, the soap had frozen onto the car. Rinsing was just putting an even thicker layer of ice over the frozen soap. I gave up on the rinsing.
When I eventually managed to get in the car after struggling with the frozen door for a few minutes (only falling down twice as my feet gave way on the ice), I couldn’t see out, as the windows were covered in a thick layer of soapy ice. Luckily I keep my ice scraper in the car or I’d have been going nowhere.

Never again will I attempt a jet wash in a Scottish winter. I have multiple bruises on my legs and arms to remind me.
The CCTV video will be featuring on a youtube near you soon I imagine lol.
Old 18 December 2010, 12:08 PM
scooblee
Scooby Regular

funny as mate, just take it to the local polish hand wash, they do a good job on mine for a fiver