Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anyone done webuyanycar.com lately?

Search this Thread

Old 05 December 2010, 11:51 AM
kz-scoob
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone done webuyanycar.com lately?

Thought I'd just have a look for the lulz, for my Punto GT Turbo I used to own they offered me £17

For my 2003 STI (just paid £7,000) they offered me... £3,480 I've seriously never seen a good quote on there, I mean, does anyone actually use it!? That was putting every single option as absolutely mint btw, which it is!
Old 05 December 2010, 11:56 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I think the only people who use it are druggies selling their parent's car to get their next "fix".

You have to be rock bottom desperate to use it IMO.

OTOH, if you have the bailiffs coming round, WBAC may give you more for the car than they would.

Last edited by ALi-B; 05 December 2010 at 11:58 AM.
Old 05 December 2010, 11:57 AM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

I dont know how they are still in business. Who would use them? I had a quote of £995 for my old Ford Cougar V6. Sold it in a 5 day auction on ebay for £1750. If I could be bothered and done the Autotrader route and had time I could have got £2000. Why use them when Ebay is almost as easy, you know where you stand and you get so much more.
Old 05 December 2010, 01:12 PM
rabbos
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SRSport
I dont know how they are still in business. Who would use them? I had a quote of £995 for my old Ford Cougar V6. Sold it in a 5 day auction on ebay for £1750. If I could be bothered and done the Autotrader route and had time I could have got £2000. Why use them when Ebay is almost as easy, you know where you stand and you get so much more.
I think they exploit those who absolutely must sell this instant.
Old 05 December 2010, 02:12 PM
Flaps
Scooby Regular

A lad at work was telling me what they quote you isn't always what they will give you either. They always try and knock you down even more when you get there!
Old 05 December 2010, 02:21 PM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

I used wewillbuyyourcar.com and they gave me £2k more than the nearest offer, including the dealer.
Old 05 December 2010, 02:27 PM
Pedroturbo
Scooby Regular

Red cavilier sri mint condition cost me £1550. We buy any car offered me £70 for the car and stated in their small print you are then charged £49.99 administration charges.
£20.01 for a 12 month mot and 9 month taxed car with just 78k miles!
Old 05 December 2010, 04:56 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Posted a few weeks ago as a mate of mine got a great quote from them, but it seems they knock it down when they see the car in the flesh. They seem a bit dubious business practice wise to me.
Old 05 December 2010, 05:02 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

As said before, how are they still in business. Yes I agree that there are desperate people but come on theres not that many surely?
Old 05 December 2010, 05:09 PM
David_Dickson
Scooby Regular

Obviously there are!
Whilst they may buy any car, they make their money by selling them on for profit. Frankly, they want either top-end stuff or decent newer family cars. Old stuff has no resale value to them, that's why they will offer a pittance for a cavalier etc - they just don't want to try to sell it on.

I believe they charge an admin/inspection fee, then go over the car very closely and knock down their offer even further with every defect or mark they find. However, there are obviously plenty people out there who want a quick sale, who don't want ebay timewasters or whatever other reason they have as We Buy Any Car branches seem to be opening in loads of places and their adverts are everywhere.

I also reckon they are of the same mindset as Ryanair regarding publicity - ie any publicity is good publicity. The low very offers on many cars get plenty of people talking about them on the internet.
Old 05 December 2010, 05:20 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Some good points there.

Is there a 'ibuyanycar.com'? I might go on autotrader and see if anyone wants to sell me their Hawkeye RB320 for £6000.
Old 05 December 2010, 05:21 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David_Dickson
Obviously there are!
Whilst they may buy any car, they make their money by selling them on for profit. Frankly, they want either top-end stuff or decent newer family cars. Old stuff has no resale value to them, that's why they will offer a pittance for a cavalier etc - they just don't want to try to sell it on.

I believe they charge an admin/inspection fee, then go over the car very closely and knock down their offer even further with every defect or mark they find. However, there are obviously plenty people out there who want a quick sale, who don't want ebay timewasters or whatever other reason they have as We Buy Any Car branches seem to be opening in loads of places and their adverts are everywhere.

I also reckon they are of the same mindset as Ryanair regarding publicity - ie any publicity is good publicity. The low very offers on many cars get plenty of people talking about them on the internet.
Totally agree, they are after all a car dealer with the added benefit of you not having to buy a car in return which you do with most dealers (and that is where your negotiating powers come in)

TBH I cannot see any problem with what they do as a business as they are probably not too far off what a dealer would offer if you just wanted them to buy your car without selling you one.
Old 05 December 2010, 05:46 PM
nick172sport
Scooby Regular

carcraft simples they buy them and then sell hem on with a massive apr rip off
Old 05 December 2010, 06:39 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

In-laws used them recently (needed quick sale as were emigrating and wanted to keep car until the last minute for their own use)

Anyway, few quid under book for an 04 plate punto, they were happy with the amount and the process in general.....sounds like they are in the minority though
Old 05 December 2010, 06:56 PM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

Location: MSOCs tyre and ROTA wheel dealer .Ruisliptyres@gmail.com

my mate had an o6 passat diesel 44k fully loaded , leather ac satnav, emergrtaing to auz they offered him 4k which he took as he was desperate after it being on autotrader for ages with lots of timewasters .

they are selling for 7k with over 100k still on autotrader . madness
Old 05 December 2010, 11:00 PM
scoobyvirgin
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by M444GY
they are selling for 7k with over 100k still on autotrader . madness
No, they are advertised at 7K, it doesn't mean they are selling at that price.
Old 06 December 2010, 02:13 AM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

My work shifted an 07 plate Citroen C5 through them last year, the company secretary was happy with the process and the amount they paid out for it, and he's Yorkshire born

The MD wanted to keep it as an extra pool car, but we all refused to drive it because it was such a piece of ****
Old 06 December 2010, 10:29 AM
DonNedly
Scooby Regular

They offered me £5k for my van which i went on to sell privately for £6700. Advert in autotrader - sold 2 days later. I'd of been mad to give up £1700 to sell my van 1 day sooner!
Plus as others have said, when they view it they knock money off for every tiny stone chip etc. You never get what they quote.
Old 06 December 2010, 12:00 PM
TheVoices
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

They are buying cars at the TRADE price not retail or private sale !

They will also devalue the car if it needs any recon, cosmetic or mechanical.

The service is run by 'Carcraft', the main reason is a chance to sell you another car !

ie. when you get there to sell your car, 'why are you selling this one ?, Oh ! you are replacing it with a..........., would it be worth me checking our group stock for a suitable vehicle ?'

If the answer is 'no' they can then make a low offer to buy your car based on any small defects they find !