Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Lorries in the snow.

Search this Thread

Old 04 December 2010, 10:01 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Lorries in the snow.

Down this way almost every road closure we had (and there were a few) were caused by jack-knifed lorries.
Maybe they shouldn't be on the road in the snow if they can't stay in a straight line, but there again we still need supplies to get to their destinations.... so not an easy one.

I'm not saying for a second that lots are cars haven't caused hold-ups after skidding in the conditions, but a car is easier to get out the way than a truck.
Old 04 December 2010, 10:02 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are there winter tyres for lorries?
Old 04 December 2010, 10:17 PM
Jamz_
Scooby Regular

Most jack-knifed lorries are caused by car drivers that cannot drive... jam their brakes on for no reason, lorry has to jam their breaks on and the trailer wheels lockup and overtake the cab = jack knife
Old 04 December 2010, 10:20 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Jamz_
Most jack-knifed lorries are caused by car drivers that cannot drive... jam their brakes on for no reason, lorry has to jam their breaks on and the trailer wheels lockup and overtake the cab = jack knife

Keeping distance partly solves this
Old 04 December 2010, 10:51 PM
ronjeramy
Scooby Regular

I was on the m62 on Wednesday and there was a 40mph limit and was passed by 2 lorries, I only went down one junction. The snow was settling on the road and it was a blizard. Idiots is all I can say
Old 04 December 2010, 11:03 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ronjeramy
I was on the m62 on Wednesday and there was a 40mph limit and was passed by 2 lorries, I only went down one junction. The snow was settling on the road and it was a blizard. Idiots is all I can say
+1 seen this alot this past week
Old 04 December 2010, 11:06 PM
Richy P1984
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Was driving up the A3 in a Prius (shudder) with overly active traction control - as in will barely move off in snow conditions. Its way of dealing with loss in traction is to just simply cut all power, leaving you in the middle of a junction with no power - very safe, thanks very much Toyota you bunch of feckless *******. It even does it in the summer, leaving you half way in the middle of a manouver pulling out of a road with a blind conrer on either side.

Any way back to the point, a few HGVs stuck in laybys, some half pulled out, and others looking like they only just managed to stop!

Also saw a car do a 360 on the nearside lane (lane 1) at 50mph without hitting anyone or rolling it. He ended up nicely planted against the road side verge - car didnt look too bad considering what hed been through.
Old 04 December 2010, 11:15 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

It's a fine art driving 55ft of 44 ton bendy bastrd in these conditions i can tell you. Those numpty fcukwit tw@t eyed car drivers don't bastrdin' help matters. This is my first winter at home in 10 years. Missing it?? Nah.
Old 04 December 2010, 11:16 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

Bollocks, HGV drivers are much better drivers than any of us, obviously not track etc but road awareness, distance braking etc, they are king
Old 04 December 2010, 11:24 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1. Any driver can be a fcukwit, doesnt matter if they drive a car or hgv.
2. HGV drivers can see further than a car driver due to the fact they are higher up
3. Having a HGV sit 3 inches off your rear bumper in heavy snow conditions because he wants to fly past everything normally causes accidents, hence you see said hgv jack knifed across the motorway.

Tony
Old 04 December 2010, 11:25 PM
chung
Scooby Regular

Some nutters on the m25 drving right up my backside
Old 04 December 2010, 11:34 PM
maydew
Scooby Regular

its the f..k wit car drivers that cause problems thursday night just getting on the m6 near junction 4 snowing pretty heavy -3 outside temp, when this red focus on my drivers side decided he needed the turn off i had virtually passed ,me doing 25 mph ish gross about 34 ton he cut me up leaving me locking my trailer up while trying to avoid hitting him,crazy.

everyone moans about wagons this wagons that but same time in the news in this week there moaning they got no bread and milk
Old 04 December 2010, 11:36 PM
maydew
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chung
while some nutter is on the m25 using his iphone posting on sn while driving and looking how close the wagon is behind
Old 04 December 2010, 11:39 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
1. Any driver can be a fcukwit, doesnt matter if they drive a car or hgv.
2. HGV drivers can see further than a car driver due to the fact they are higher up
3. Having a HGV sit 3 inches off your rear bumper in heavy snow conditions because he wants to fly past everything normally causes accidents, hence you see said hgv jack knifed across the motorway.

Tony
Originally Posted by chung

FFS, just get out of their way then, and don't be a numpty fcukwit tw@t eyed car driver.
Old 04 December 2010, 11:42 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Originally Posted by maydew
while some nutter is on the m25 using his iphone posting on sn while driving and looking how close the wagon is behind
Wow.... you were so close to his **** you could even see what he was looking at on his iphone

We're all in the same position.... we all get cut up when driving, but most of us don't bin it and close motorways for 3-4 hours.

I know it isn't an easy job, but 6-7 jack-knifed lorries in 2 days (within a 5 miles radius) seems a bit much, and would hint at a problem.
If a lorry can't break in the snow without causing a crash then something seems wrong.
Old 04 December 2010, 11:44 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by **************
Deffo.

Old 04 December 2010, 11:44 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Originally Posted by b13bat
FFS, just get out of their way then, and don't be a numpty fcukwit tw@t eyed car driver.
So very poor weather conditions (ie snow) going 40mph in the slow lane, and a lorry sits on your ****, where do you suggest the car goes to?
Old 04 December 2010, 11:45 PM
maydew
Scooby Regular

if every car done 60mph when traffic allows to ,wagons would never catch you up,all are limited to 56 and most supermarket ones only do 52,yet i hate it when you get a clear motorway and some idiot doing 45 mph .......
Old 04 December 2010, 11:49 PM
Moley
Sponsor

if every car done 60mph when traffic allows to ,wagons would never catch you up,all are limited to 56 and most supermarket ones only do 52,yet i hate it when you get a clear motorway and some idiot doing 45 mph .......
We're talking about in the snow.

Jack-knifed lorries in normal conditions are pretty rare (IMO)
Old 04 December 2010, 11:50 PM
maydew
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Moley_WRX
Wow.... you were so close to his **** you could even see what he was looking at on his iphone

We're all in the same position.... we all get cut up when driving, but most of us don't bin it and close motorways for 3-4 hours.

I know it isn't an easy job, but 6-7 jack-knifed lorries in 2 days (within a 5 miles radius) seems a bit much, and would hint at a problem.
If a lorry can't break in the snow without causing a crash then something seems wrong.
lol i sitting at home but merely guessing

the brakes on wagons are fantastic been driving them 6 years now and from my point its the sheer weight tranfer upon breaking thats the issue upon no one can predict how a load will behave every load is different.
Old 04 December 2010, 11:52 PM
maydew
Scooby Regular

We're talking about in the snow.

Jack-knifed lorries in normal conditions are pretty rare (IMO)
your pretty wrong there mate they can jack knife in any conditions sun/rain/snow. just made worse by the snow
Old 04 December 2010, 11:53 PM
Moley
Sponsor

your pretty wrong there mate they can jack knife in any conditions sun/rain/snow. just made worse by the snow
6-7 in a 5 mile radius in 2 days (that i know of) isn't common though
Old 05 December 2010, 12:00 AM
maydew
Scooby Regular

no not ,down to the high way agency /local council not preparing the road knowing very well its a main trunk road,in the right weather conditions as your clearly having with the right weight/load these will jack knife at even the slowest off speeds,these wagons have 400-500 bhp with enough torque to pull a house down,hardly any weight over the front axle
over the drive wheels and these will spin and slid with ease.

due to axle weight limits believe or not you cannot have that much up front over the drive axle ,you see most containers placed towards the back axle.

now go and sit back behind your desk in your nice warm office and keep answering those calls lol lol lol

Last edited by maydew; 05 December 2010 at 12:03 AM.
Old 05 December 2010, 12:04 AM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Moley. It is one thing to get cut up and loose control of your 1.5 ton ridgid car and bounce off the kerb. It's a whole new ball game when you are 55ft and 44ton, you don't even feel that kerb that stopped you car.

It has very little to do with lorries caperbilities in the snow. If a lorry and it's driver are left to there own devices, in most cases they would at worse get stuck. And as for 7 lorries, 5 miles and 2 days, that speaks more of the condition of the local enviroment and maintainance, ie hilly or cambered etc.

So very poor weather conditions (ie snow) going 40mph in the slow lane, and a lorry sits on your ****, where do you suggest the car goes to?

When i'm behind the wheel? Anywhere.

Seriously Moley, if you where not holding up traffic by driving like Miss Daisy then the HGV was bang out of order.
Old 05 December 2010, 12:11 AM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

now go and sit back behind your desk in your nice warm office and keep answering those calls lol lol lol
Well he wasn't there testerday when i rang re my renewal *coff coff*
Old 05 December 2010, 12:15 AM
Moley
Sponsor

Seriously Moley, if you where not holding up traffic by driving like Miss Daisy then the HGV was bang out of order.
I wasn't driving.... i had to use a train, due to the 20+ mile gridlock (that took 8 hours+ to clear) due to a jack-knifed lorry

I'll be sitting behind my nice warm desk thanks.... not driving a lorry, as i know i couldn't drive one. If only the drivers the other day realised they couldn't drive one either!!!

I didn't start the thread to slag off lorry drivers, i appreciate it's a hard job (with us car drivers on the road), i just wondered if there is a genuine reason that so many have caused so much problems recently.

I guess that's been answered above, that the local council didn't prepare the roads properly

Old 05 December 2010, 12:18 AM
maydew
Scooby Regular

Well he wasn't there testerday when i rang re my renewal *coff coff*
must of been some idiot in a hgv stuck in snow on the m25 holding him up lol
Old 05 December 2010, 12:21 AM
maydew
Scooby Regular

I wasn't driving.... i had to use a train, due to the 20+ mile gridlock (that took 8 hours+ to clear) due to a jack-knifed lorry

I'll be sitting behind my nice warm desk thanks.... not driving a lorry, as i know i couldn't drive one. If only the drivers the other day realised they couldn't drive one either!!!

I didn't start the thread to slag off lorry drivers, i appreciate it's a hard job (with us car drivers on the road), i just wondered if there is a genuine reason that so many have caused so much problems recently.

I guess that's been answered above, that the local council didn't prepare the roads properly

we cannot host a bit of snow so how was we ment to host a world cup lol
Old 05 December 2010, 12:22 AM
Moley
Sponsor

must of been some idiot in a hgv stuck in snow on the m25 holding him up lol
You don't know how close to the truth that is, lol

Quick Reply: Lorries in the snow.