Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Parking vs Neighbours

Search this Thread

Old 30 November 2010, 06:18 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parking vs Neighbours

I call them neighbours loosely but they don't live on our estate.

We live on a relatively new but small housing estate with limited parking. Although we have a garage and parking at rear it's very tight and genuinely a pain to get in and out of.

I usually park outside the house where there is room for 3 cars.

Over the last couple of weeks a couple of new cars from the main road have been taking up the spare space or two we normally use, right outside the front door.

I know this isn't illegal but there are spaces a few yards further up where no houses are. I just find it really annoying not being able to park outside your own home.

Would I be out of order to politely as them to park further up?

How would you feel if asked to park a bit further away?

Or would you try to park away from someone elses house anyway?
Old 30 November 2010, 06:19 PM
The Dogs B******s
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Boro
I call them neighbours loosely but they don't live on our estate.

We live on a relatively new but small housing estate with limited parking. Although we have a garage and parking at rear it's very tight and genuinely a pain to get in and out of.

I usually park outside the house where there is room for 3 cars.

Over the last couple of weeks a couple of new cars from the main road have been taking up the spare space or two we normally use, right outside the front door.

I know this isn't illegal but there are spaces a few yards further up where no houses are. I just find it really annoying not being able to park outside your own home.

Would I be out of order to politely as them to park further up?

How would you feel if asked to park a bit further away?

Or would you try to park away from someone elses house anyway?
You want to try living with my kneighbours,they own the street,,,,,,,,,well they think they do
Old 30 November 2010, 06:25 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Dogs B******s
You want to try living with my kneighbours,they own the street,,,,,,,,,well they think they do

Yeah mine too. But they moved back to Leeds at the weekend. Just waiting for the next load of numb nuts to move in.
Old 30 November 2010, 08:16 PM
Lisawrx

I personally wouldn't park outside someone elses house (that use the space to park), unless I didn't have a choice. If they didn't park outside, then I would if necessary.

If there are other spaces they can use which means you both get parked, then I can't see the problem with politely asking them if they could use them. The worst they can say is no, but it's worth a try.

It's a nightmare on our street as it's a main road and you can only park on the one side. Most of the houses further up have driveways so obviously you can't block them, and what little space is left, now seems to be getting taken over by people who don't live on our part of the road (who have parking to the back of where they live).

Parking seems to be a pretty big cause of conflict between neighbours.
Old 30 November 2010, 08:20 PM
gallois
Scooby Regular

we also have parking problems in our street, the next street across will not park in their immediate neighbours places, so park outside our houses, which means we park outside theirs........quite silly really, but there is quiet irritation, but polite smiles.
Old 30 November 2010, 09:02 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Hit them from a different angle, ask them would it be ok to keep the space infront of your house free as you've noticed a few scallies checking out your car and your concerned they are eyeing it up to steal it so you'd prefer to keep it infront of your house so you can keep a close watch on it.

This way no one needs to be offended
Old 30 November 2010, 09:08 PM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

We accept it as part of life, drive way has space for 1 car which is mine, the wife parks on the roadside outside our house, there is room for two cars on the roadside outside our house, just annoys me when someone parks badly and takes up both spaces with 1 car
Old 30 November 2010, 09:09 PM
DeeH
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jamz3k
Hit them from a different angle, ask them would it be ok to keep the space infront of your house free as you've noticed a few scallies checking out your car and your concerned they are eyeing it up to steal it so you'd prefer to keep it infront of your house so you can keep a close watch on it.

This way no one needs to be offended
I was just about to suggest that too! It will also let you suss them out as well. I imagine genuine folk could see your point of view as they wouldn't like the thought of their car being damaged or stollen.
Old 30 November 2010, 10:52 PM
Boro
Scooby Regular

Great idea! If I dont get chance to speak to them I might just put a nicely worded letter on their windscreen.

I might say my car was broken into parked at the rear and I'd like to be able to park outside my house as it's safer and well lit.

Any decent person would accept that wouldn't they?

Thanks for the suggestion :-D
Old 30 November 2010, 11:24 PM
Scooby Jo
Scooby Regular

DeeH - is that an NC30 on your avartar?

As for parking, no off street in our road - apart from the t*ssers who I unfortunately live next door to, everyone else tries to park outside their own house and not cause any disruption. It's always emotive and I always worry about repercussions - I may be biased but there arent any nicer cars in my road I'd definitely go for option mentioned by Jamz3k
Old 01 December 2010, 10:01 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

You have no personal rights to park in front of your house of course, but it is just good manners not to park in spaces in front of someone else's house when there is space available somewhere else.

That sort of attitude is disappearing fast of course but it would do no harm to ask them politely if they could park elsewhere. You might be lucky.

Les
Old 01 December 2010, 03:00 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

Most tossers would give a sh*t about YOUR car being stolen/vandalised or torched.
So long as they aren't directly affected.

Think yourself lucky you don't have a shared private drive and tossers for neighbours as I do... dem Oirish don't gi a shet about blocking anyone in.

Grrrr !

dunx

P.S. A trolley jack and two burly mates... wheel away and watch their faces as they can't find said car...
Old 01 December 2010, 03:05 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Trolley jack used to leave it on bricks. Might take a couple of sets of wheels before they get the message though.
Old 01 December 2010, 06:32 PM
WRXBOB
Scooby Regular

It would be a real pain for them to have a flat tyre everytime they got to their car!

You know what I mean
Old 01 December 2010, 06:44 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

The only problem is things like that spiral out of control. Starts tit-for-tat, ends up people getting hurt or serious damage.
Old 02 December 2010, 12:27 AM
Scooby Jo
Scooby Regular

Absolutely - then you get a call at 2.30am from the Police to tell you that your car is 50 miles away trashed in a field No proof of who did it of course........
Old 02 December 2010, 10:41 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

There is no justification whatsoever for vandalising someone's car because it was legally parked outside your house.

Les