Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

WikiLeaks US embassy cables

Search this Thread

Old 28 November 2010, 06:57 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WikiLeaks US embassy cables

The tip of an almighty nightmarish iceberg, for the US..

The US is engaged in a spying campaign against the leadership of the United Nations. A directive issued under Hillary Clinton's name last year ordered American diplomats to seek details about both UN communication systems and personal details for top officials.
Saudi Arabia's King Abdullah has "frequently" urged the US to launch an attack against Iran in order to scupper Tehran's nuclear ambition.
The US has relentlessly pressured other countries, including close allies such as Italy and France, to distance themselves from Iran and assist American efforts to isolate Tehran
There's plenty more to come, including "claims of inappropriate behaviour" by a British royal and allegations of links between Russia's government and organised crime.
Live updates..

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/blog/...bles-live-blog
Old 28 November 2010, 07:31 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Lol I'm scared to go to sleep tonight in case I miss the end of the world. Once the leaders start to throw their toys out their prams this could get messy lol
Old 28 November 2010, 07:44 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by **************
lol at the DOS attack on wikileaks today. The US Government illegally attacking a website.
Lol, I know. Might have been a good idea if it wasn't so obvious.
Old 28 November 2010, 07:52 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

they must be praying the webservers run Microsoft's IIS
Old 28 November 2010, 07:59 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

Recent revelations to be published in papers this week..

¶ A dangerous standoff with Pakistan over nuclear fuel: Since 2007, the United States has mounted a highly secret effort, so far unsuccessful, to remove from a Pakistani research reactor highly enriched uranium that American officials fear could be diverted for use in an illicit nuclear device. In May 2009, Ambassador Anne W. Patterson reported that Pakistan was refusing to schedule a visit by American technical experts because, as a Pakistani official said, “if the local media got word of the fuel removal, ‘they certainly would portray it as the United States taking Pakistan’s nuclear weapons,’ he argued.”

¶ Gaming out an eventual collapse of North Korea: American and South Korean officials have discussed the prospects for a unified Korea, should the North’s economic troubles and political transition lead the state to implode. The South Koreans even considered commercial inducements to China, according to the American ambassador to Seoul. She told Washington in February that South Korean officials believe that the right business deals would “help salve” China’s “concerns about living with a reunified Korea” that is in a “benign alliance” with the United States.

¶ Bargaining to empty the Guantánamo Bay prison: When American diplomats pressed other countries to resettle detainees, they became reluctant players in a State Department version of “Let’s Make a Deal.” Slovenia was told to take a prisoner if it wanted to meet with President Obama, while the island nation of Kiribati was offered incentives worth millions of dollars to take in Chinese Muslim detainees, cables from diplomats recounted. The Americans, meanwhile, suggested that accepting more prisoners would be “a low-cost way for Belgium to attain prominence in Europe.”

¶ Suspicions of corruption in the Afghan government: When Afghanistan’s vice president visited the United Arab Emirates last year, local authorities working with the Drug Enforcement Administration discovered that he was carrying $52 million in cash. With wry understatement, a cable from the American Embassy in Kabul called the money “a significant amount” that the official, Ahmed Zia Massoud, “was ultimately allowed to keep without revealing the money’s origin or destination.” (Mr. Massoud denies taking any money out of Afghanistan.)

¶ A global computer hacking effort: China’s Politburo directed the intrusion into Google’s computer systems in that country, a Chinese contact told the American Embassy in Beijing in January, one cable reported. The Google hacking was part of a coordinated campaign of computer sabotage carried out by government operatives, private security experts and Internet outlaws recruited by the Chinese government. They have broken into American government computers and those of Western allies, the Dalai Lama and American businesses since 2002, cables said.
Old 28 November 2010, 08:26 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

So, it seems that bashing the US for every last little misdeed may never go out of fashion, hardly Earth-shattering news. What would be far more entertaining IMO is for Julian Assange to publish the same amount of classified documents from the Russian or Chinese government or military, and then see how long it is before he has a mysterious 'accident' in a tube-station or a dark alley one night, or gets bundled into the back of a van and isn't seen again until they fish his mutilated corpse out of a river somewhere.

Of course, he'll almost certainly never do what I'm suggesting, because he knows exactly what he'd have coming if he pulled the same sort of stunt with less respectable countries than the US, and he's in all likelihood a gutless sniveling coward (the guy is Australian, let's not forget ). The world is sadly full of them (gutless cowards, not Australians ), and that isn't really news either.
Old 28 November 2010, 08:32 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

Why is he a gutless coward?
Old 28 November 2010, 08:36 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

They also said that the labour party were ****s to the man..

.. so rest must be true also

Last edited by Puff The Magic Wagon!; 29 November 2010 at 10:44 AM.
Old 28 November 2010, 08:44 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Could be a bumpy ride.
Old 28 November 2010, 08:44 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dedrater
Why is he a gutless coward?
My previous post consisted of just two short paragraphs, and you couldn't be bothered to read it all the way through? That really isn't very good manners.
Old 28 November 2010, 08:54 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

Yes I did read them, but they made no sense, have you ever even been on WikiLeaks before and know to the extent what material exists relating to Governments all over the World? It appears not.
Old 28 November 2010, 09:13 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dedrater
Yes I did read them, but they made no sense, have you ever even been on WikiLeaks before and know to the extent what material exists relating to Governments all over the World? It appears not.

Nonsense, there's nothing on there about the Russians or Chinese that comes even close to the scale of the stuff they've posted about the US.
Old 28 November 2010, 09:33 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

Thats about to change I reckon..

In an interview published on Tuesday, Oct. 26, in Russia's leading daily newspaper, Kommersant, WikiLeaks spokesman Kristinn Hrafnsson said that "Russian readers will learn a lot about their country" after one of the site's upcoming document dumps. "We want to tell people the truth about the actions of their governments."
So far Russia has had no official response. But on Wednesday, an official at the Center for Information Security of the FSB, Russia's secret police, gave a warning to WikiLeaks that showed none of the tact of the U.S. reply to the Iraq revelations. "It's essential to remember that given the will and the relevant orders, [WikiLeaks] can be made inaccessible forever," the anonymous official told the independent Russian news website LifeNews
Old 29 November 2010, 12:52 AM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by markjmd
So, it seems that bashing the US for every last little misdeed may never go out of fashion
Basically no. It's the sport of every hypocrite going.
Old 29 November 2010, 11:05 AM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hutton_d
But what's been leaked that people didn't already at least suspect was going on anyway? It's life. You're nice as pie to your neighbours but slag them off behind closed doors. Same thing in international *diplomacy*.

Dave
Quiet! You'll ruin his Guardian reading illusions and sense of righteousness!
Old 29 November 2010, 11:18 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Very unwise to publish all those things,it will cause far more world troubles and could also lead to some very unpleasant situations or violence.

Wiki could find themselves out on a limb too with their over ambitious conduct.

Les
Old 29 November 2010, 11:32 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Frankly ,boring ! the only persons getting anything out of this are wiki leaks advertisers , presumably
Old 29 November 2010, 11:35 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Possibly

But how are the ragheads going to get out of this one though?
Old 29 November 2010, 11:53 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
Wiki could find themselves out on a limb too with their over ambitious conduct.

Les
The owner of Wikileaks is both in trouble and very protected. In that I am sure America is going to great lengths to ensure that nothing happens to him for the moment as it really would be bad publicity.

I wouldn't take bets on his future though ...

Steve
Old 29 November 2010, 12:21 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

We have so much on our plate at the moment as individuals, i don't really think anyone cares that much.

I'm quite sure these leaks Vs Will and whatserface getting married, the leaks come a very distant 3rd.

Seems to me its a case of the people behind wikileaks showing off how clever they are rather than "telling it, like it is". Its all very well them taking pot shots at the US but lets see how far they get with the Russians.
Old 29 November 2010, 12:26 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hutton_d
To be honest Les, IMHO the only people who are *troubled* by this, and the ones making the most noise, are the politicians *caught out* making less than complimentary comments about others. Just another indicator of how wrapped up in themselves politicians of today really are! (And have been always I guess).

Dave
Yes I think you are right Dave, since they were creating the secrets in the first place. I just hope the consequences are not too serious.

Les
Old 29 November 2010, 12:48 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sometimes things being secret is a good thing, this is like all your emails to your mates being read by your missus....
Old 29 November 2010, 11:37 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

I think the only one laughing is Silvio Berlusconi.
Old 02 December 2010, 11:40 AM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Noticed on the news that government officials of various countries are even condoning assassination now when talking about this guy. If they're willing to hint at it in public then that doesn't paint a good picture of what's going to happen to this guy.

Will be a real shame, as I'd love to see some of these official figures have their careers ruined if there's any proof of corruption etc.

Quick Reply: WikiLeaks US embassy cables