Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Dublin Riots....

Search this Thread

Old 28 November 2010, 10:08 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dublin Riots....

You will have heard/read about the riots in Dublin and one can quite understand why its good citizens are pretty pissed off at present.

OK if one accepts that the present govt made a pig's ear of the economy - particularly regarding allowing their bank's reckless lending policies - what else can they do now aside from put taxes up and go cap in hand to EC?

So would a change of govt there be a good or bad thing?

dl

Last edited by David Lock; 28 November 2010 at 10:56 AM.
Old 28 November 2010, 10:26 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Being 'part of europe' has so skewed what is otherwise just plain capitalism , it must be almost impossible for the average joe to know whats what -
Old 28 November 2010, 12:25 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Aye, a bit stupid to moan now. What do they think they'd get if they were not in EU? (barring more UK handouts). And also think of who pays alot more into the EU that Ireland has ever done? Someone is getting a raw deal from teh EU, and its not the Irish either.

Bit like borrowing vast sums of money that far out weighs your income to buy a new-build house thinking there would be no global repercussions. OK, banks shouldn't have lent it, but the borrowers should have thought twice before applying or accepting the loan/mortgage. Feejits.

Last edited by ALi-B; 28 November 2010 at 12:29 PM.
Old 28 November 2010, 12:45 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

They had their chance to bin the Eu, and didn't in the end.

At least they were given that chance, which our lying politicians won't do for us, apart from promising a referendum before the election and then cancelling the idea afterwards. Truly shameful behaviour.

Les
Old 28 November 2010, 01:03 PM
David_Dickson
Scooby Regular

I don't think that the average man in the street (especially considering how many knuckle-dragging tabloid readers there are) is really qualified to vote on something as complex as EU membership. The financial repercussions of such a decision are so far reaching that they are beyond the comprehension of many. Any political party could spin the arguments whichever way they pleased by baffling the population with snappy sound-bites and graphs in the papers, but is what one party wishes really the best for all?
Old 28 November 2010, 01:27 PM
dannyf 555
Scooby Newbie

The Irish public voted no the first the time for the lisbon treaty and the gov pushed for a second refurendum using scare tactics, which they got and the stupid bostards voted yes the second time. "The only solution is a peoples revolution."
Old 28 November 2010, 01:36 PM
David_Dickson
Scooby Regular

Yes, but could we trust a politician to give a simple and TRUTHFULL explanation, without them putting any kind of bias on it that suits their own agenda/bank balance?

The implications of trading partnerships, currencies, free movement and hundreds of other factors are just too far reaching for many to comprehend especially when all they are worried about is forrins coming here and taking their jobs/wives/benefits.
Old 28 November 2010, 01:58 PM
dannyf 555
Scooby Newbie

True. And on the taking our "jobs/wives/benefits". PMSL
Old 28 November 2010, 02:10 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by David_Dickson
Yes, but could we trust a politician to give a simple and TRUTHFULL explanation, without them putting any kind of bias on it that suits their own agenda/bank balance?
No.
Old 28 November 2010, 02:23 PM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

It's always amazed me the whole Ireland thing from the very beginning.No one gave two hoots about Ireland 15 years ago then it all went mental and now its broken

Liked the Chris Evans quip about Steve Jobs wanting to buy it and rename it i-Land
Old 28 November 2010, 06:46 PM
Jamie
Super Muppet

lozgti1, I think you might need to scrub up on politics
Old 28 November 2010, 06:55 PM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

Stopped reading papers and watching the news

As you can tell.....
Old 28 November 2010, 07:02 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

anyone who thinks that the EU and the single currency is the sole reason they are fvcked is deluded
Old 28 November 2010, 07:04 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by hutton_d
Herein lies the problem. IMHO if a politician cannot explain something so that even the *knuckle-dragging tabloid reader* can understand it then he/she/it should vote against it. There is absolutely NO reason why these treaties/arrangements/etc need to be so complex that no-one can understand them apart from trying to hoodwink the electorate.

So, simplify them so we all understand, or don't sign. Simples!

Dave
+1
Old 28 November 2010, 07:52 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hutton_d
Herein lies the problem. IMHO if a politician cannot explain something so that even the *knuckle-dragging tabloid reader* can understand it then he/she/it should vote against it. There is absolutely NO reason why these treaties/arrangements/etc need to be so complex that no-one can understand them apart from trying to hoodwink the electorate.

So, simplify them so we all understand, or don't sign. Simples!

Dave
What about the people that can't read? The people that believe in sky fairies? The people that can read but choose never to excerise the skill save for the Argos catalogue and a McDonalds menu? The people that post in SN general ()? The people that use Ocean Finance? Bristolians (apart from Brunel and Derren Brown) and people that post the utter bunkum like that which is written in the quoted post?

How, in the name of goodness, would it be possible to reduce the complexity of global politics comprehensibly enough for 'all' to understand?

Base, provincial dullards aren't developed enough to decide the future of this country.

Last edited by JTaylor; 28 November 2010 at 11:50 PM.
Old 28 November 2010, 08:03 PM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

Clearly those well versed in the complexities of global politics still haven't mastered it.

Tower of Babel and all that....

Last 20 years of politics and economics has been pure comedy
Old 28 November 2010, 09:01 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

US Leaks threatening world peace: 55 views. XFactor leaks threatening erm, I dunno.....Wagner? 120 views. Let the 'people' decide Britain's future in the World? Don't be silly.
Old 28 November 2010, 09:05 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

https://www.scoobynet.com/showpost.p...26&postcount=8

See.
Old 28 November 2010, 10:45 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Lazy.
Old 28 November 2010, 10:49 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
You will have heard/read about the riots in Dublin and one can quite understand why its good citizens are pretty pissed off at present.

OK if one accepts that the present govt made a pig's ear of the economy - particularly regarding allowing their bank's reckless lending policies - what else can they do now aside from put taxes up and go cap in hand to EC?

dl
A key part of the problem was a government that became very reliant on property taxes - as this property bubble can never burst! Can it?!
Old 28 November 2010, 10:50 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by lozgti1
Clearly those well versed in the complexities of global politics still haven't mastered it.

Tower of Babel and all that....

Last 20 years of politics and economics has been pure comedy
Knowing how to please people a baying mob with rhetoric in order to leech their wealth and control them... bloody tricky work that. F*ck, even the 16 year school leaver sweeping the floor at your local Tesco could do it with ease. JTaylor seems to be under the impression they are of a different breed to the rest of us. They do mean well I suppose, that's some consolation for the extent with which they interfere with every aspect of our lives.
Old 28 November 2010, 11:07 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

dl
Is there any chance that someone could answer the poor OP's question?

(My view that it would probably make no difference whatsoever or even make matters worse if they start a retrospective argument with EC)
Old 28 November 2010, 11:25 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GlesgaKiss
Knowing how to please people a baying mob with rhetoric in order to leech their wealth and control them... bloody tricky work that. F*ck, even the 16 year school leaver sweeping the floor at your local Tesco could do it with ease. JTaylor seems to be under the impression they are of a different breed to the rest of us. They do mean well I suppose, that's some consolation for the extent with which they interfere with every aspect of our lives.
Cameron, Hague, Duncan-Smith and others are all broadly libertarian and actively working against a federal Europe. That doesn't mean they're 'anti' Europe, because they also know that's not in this country's best interests long-term.

Fashionable or not, I'm saying the dolts can barely string a sentence together, let alone understand the grey, murky, nuanced world of European politics.

Can you imagine it?

Europe: Yes [ ] No [ ]

We'd get a 'no' through ignorance; not considered, well reasoned analysis. I was at the Wales v All Blacks game yesterday and the sense of national pride and idendity was overwhelming amongst the Welsh, despite having been annexed by my lot 500 years ago. We're not going to be annexed. We'll maintain our identity (when we regain the confidence to express it). We'll be a key player in Europe.

Much of the anti-Europe rhetoric is ill-considered, chauvinistic, reactionary nonsense.

Read Cameron's background. Do you really believe a man so firmly rooted in the history of Great Britain would send it down the river?
Old 28 November 2010, 11:56 PM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Is there any chance that someone could answer the poor OP's question?

(My view that it would probably make no difference whatsoever or even make matters worse if they start a retrospective argument with EC)
I'll answer if you can tell me who and what the proposed new government will consist of.

Last edited by JTaylor; 28 November 2010 at 11:58 PM.
Old 28 November 2010, 11:56 PM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

As the politician's who say the EU is the only option are the same ones how got us in this mess i would their know less than the average person!

Anyway there is no where in the world where different countries have been pushed into a unified country where it hasn't exploded at a later date you only have to look at Yugoslavia or Soviet Russia for two examples.
Old 29 November 2010, 12:08 AM
JTaylor
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Adrian F
As the politician's who say the EU is the only option are the same ones how got us in this mess i would their know less than the average person!

Anyway there is no where in the world where different countries have been pushed into a unified country where it hasn't exploded at a later date you only have to look at Yugoslavia or Soviet Russia for two examples.
Old 29 November 2010, 07:41 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

United Kingdom
Old 29 November 2010, 08:06 AM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JTaylor
Cameron, Hague, Duncan-Smith and others are all broadly libertarian and actively working against a federal Europe. That doesn't mean they're 'anti' Europe, because they also know that's not in this country's best interests long-term.

Fashionable or not, I'm saying the dolts can barely string a sentence together, let alone understand the grey, murky, nuanced world of European politics.

Can you imagine it?

Europe: Yes [ ] No [ ]

We'd get a 'no' through ignorance; not considered, well reasoned analysis. I was at the Wales v All Blacks game yesterday and the sense of national pride and idendity was overwhelming amongst the Welsh, despite having been annexed by my lot 500 years ago. We're not going to be annexed. We'll maintain our identity (when we regain the confidence to express it). We'll be a key player in Europe.

Much of the anti-Europe rhetoric is ill-considered, chauvinistic, reactionary nonsense.

Read Cameron's background. Do you really believe a man so firmly rooted in the history of Great Britain would send it down the river?
You take far too much at face value! You talk about Europe - as do these politicians - as if it is essential 'going forward' (as they say), suggesting that we'll be left out of the action. But what you don't say is exactly why we need it? The above is just rhetoric. It's a nice speech and really I have nothing against you, but it doesn't tell me why I would want to go down an even more bureaucratic route in politics, as if what's been done already isn't bad enough. What benefits could we possibly get from being part of Europe?

Quick Reply: Dublin Riots....