Government Response - Fuel Duty

Search this Thread

Old 15 November 2010, 05:07 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Government Response - Fuel Duty

Petition to:

Fuel duty reduction, now VAT has increased to 17.5%, please deduct the duty which was levied when vat was reduced to 15%.

This petition is now closed, as its deadline has passed.
We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to Fuel duty reduction, now VAT has increased to 17.5%, please deduct the duty which was levied when vat was reduced to 15%. More details
Submitted by David Powell – Deadline to sign up by: 12 March 2010 – Signatures: 170,377

More details from petition creator

When vat was reduced to 15% in January '09 your chancellor levied an extra 2p per litre of fuel, to compensate for the loss of revenue from the vat reduction, now that vat has now gone back to 17.5% we think it only fair that you reduce the the duty again by the same amount, ie 2p per litre.

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/DutyReduction/

Government response

Your petition relates to the policy of the former Chancellor of the Exchequer. In his 2008 Pre-Budget Report the former Chancellor said “I will offset the VAT reduction, by increasing all these duties by an amount which should keep the overall cost to consumers the same this year.”
The coalition Government’s first changes to taxation were announced in the June Budget. The Budget sets out the action the Government is taking to rebalance the economy and provide the conditions for sustainable growth and deficit reduction. This involves difficult choices.
The existing rates of fuel duty and the rates applicable through to January 2011 were set and legislated for by the previous Government. Under plans the coalition Government has inherited fuel duty is scheduled to rise by one pence per litre above indexation each year thereafter until April 2014.
It is necessary to implement these increases as dealing with the budget deficit is the single greatest economic challenge this Government faces. Unavoidably, tough decisions are required, but underpinning the Government’s approach is a commitment to fairness. The Government has been clear that the burden of deficit reduction will have to be shared, but the most vulnerable in our society will be protected.
Dodgy *******
Old 15 November 2010, 05:34 PM
ScoobySteve69
Scooby Regular

It`s not even worth bothering about. They do what they want, always have, always will.
Old 15 November 2010, 05:45 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

"commitment to fairness"

Ahh, well if it's fair that makes it OK then.
Old 15 November 2010, 05:51 PM
mamoon2
Scooby Regular

The country is fecked and we've gotta pay off the debt somehow.

We can't really moan about a couple of pence and blame the new government can we
Old 16 November 2010, 05:36 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Can't expect much else really, got to reduce the National Debt somehow, or at least try to prevent it from increasing or the country will go down the tubes. The utter waste of money during NL's rule was criminal to put it mildly!

Les
Old 16 November 2010, 05:40 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Hmm, fairness....just how is it fair to impose a blanket taxation on the cost of fuel?? Blanket levels of taxation irrespective of someone's income is exactly what is unfair!
Old 16 November 2010, 05:44 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Luminous
Hmm, fairness....just how is it fair to impose a blanket taxation on the cost of fuel?? Blanket levels of taxation irrespective of someone's income is exactly what is unfair!

Maybe it will keep more of the great unwashed off the road
Old 16 November 2010, 06:16 PM
chrispy200+
Scooby Regular

Surely the increase in the price of fuel plus the increase due to the rise on vat is going to have a knock on effect to the cost of everything else and help screw the country even more
Old 16 November 2010, 06:20 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Next thing to get "cut" will be that stupid petition site.

Can anyone lay claim to one petition on there that has been fully actioned and not fobbed off?
Old 16 November 2010, 06:21 PM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

But it will mean that the politicians can claim a larger fuel expense - so every cloud......
Old 16 November 2010, 06:32 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Funny isn't it how they apprently "can't do anything about the previous government's budgetary tax levels"?

So any outgoing government could effectively fek the incoming lot by fixing tax levels for the foreseeable future in it's last budget? I DON'T think so
Old 16 November 2010, 06:36 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

I suppose that means my heating oil is going to go through the roof again.
It has already gone up by about 400% in the last 10 years
Old 16 November 2010, 07:36 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

They don't want to cut spending substantially so taxes have to be put up to try to make a dent in the deficit. Trying to turn this country around without substantially cutting spending is like trying to stop a tank with a pea shooter. They're a bunch of self-serving bawbags anyway, nothing should surprise you.
Old 16 November 2010, 07:45 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm shocked, amazed and flabbergasted ..... we have had a change of Government, surely it's going to get better??

Oooooops, just realised that we now have a TORY Government ... so that's why we are faced with lies, lies and more lies

Who voted for these chumps?
Old 16 November 2010, 07:53 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Whereas Labour politicians never lie. Lol, get real!
Old 16 November 2010, 08:31 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Labour aren't in power ... the Tories are!!

It's them we need to discuss .... and it seems that they are shafting all but the rich .....
Old 16 November 2010, 08:33 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by pslewis

It's them we need to discuss .... and it seems that they are shafting all but the rich .....
Unlike Lying Labour, who shafted everyone but their mates.
Old 17 November 2010, 01:40 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Just for once, have you got the bottle to tell us how you would deal with the crippling national dept left by your hero's who also sucked up to the banks thus not regulating them and thus contributing to the recession.

Would you advocate that the Government continues to **** our money against the wall as your hero's did, borrowing even more cash so that they can continue with that. How do you regard the £140 million interest that we have to find every day?

Go on PSL, tell us how we have got into this mindbending debt and how should the Gov't should counter it.

If you are going to denigrate the present actions by the present Gov't, then you should surely be able to give the definitive advice how to overcome this huge problem

If you can't, then what does that tell us about you?

Les
Old 17 November 2010, 02:10 PM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie

Les
FOS

Full Of $hit
Old 17 November 2010, 02:22 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by alcazar
Funny isn't it how they apprently "can't do anything about the previous government's budgetary tax levels"?

So any outgoing government could effectively fek the incoming lot by fixing tax levels for the foreseeable future in it's last budget? I DON'T think so
They can certainly make things more difficult for the incoming government.
http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/...-a-7bn-burden-
Old 17 November 2010, 02:31 PM
Frosticles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Can anyone lay claim to one petition on there that has been fully actioned and not fobbed off?
Nope, never seen one yet.
Old 17 November 2010, 09:00 PM
DEEDEE
Scooby Regular

Yes I signed as did a few others, (FEW being the word) How many people live in this Country, how many are affected by Fuel prices. I guess by the response not many. It only gathered (Signatures: 170,377) No wonder the Goverment never take any notice. Good Old Brits we know how to complain.
Old 17 November 2010, 09:14 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Just for once, have you got the bottle to tell us how you would deal with the crippling national dept left by your hero's who also sucked up to the banks thus not regulating them and thus contributing to the recession.

Would you advocate that the Government continues to **** our money against the wall as your hero's did, borrowing even more cash so that they can continue with that. How do you regard the £140 million interest that we have to find every day?

Go on PSL, tell us how we have got into this mindbending debt and how should the Gov't should counter it.

If you are going to denigrate the present actions by the present Gov't, then you should surely be able to give the definitive advice how to overcome this huge problem

Les
I would get rid of the TAX Havens where your heroes hide their money to avoid UK Tax! OR, at the very least, get them to declare it for UK Tax.

I would stop all benefits - and see what falls out the bottom.

I would make everyone re-apply for benefits ... and I would make them clean the streets instead of walk them!

I would remove State Pension from those who have their own personal pension income.

I would end the winter fuel payment for those not spending winter in the UK.

AND ...... I would introduce a Fishing Boat Tax
Old 18 November 2010, 12:30 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I would get rid of the TAX Havens where your heroes hide their money to avoid UK Tax! OR, at the very least, get them to declare it for UK Tax.

I would make everyone re-apply for benefits ... and I would make them clean the streets instead of walk them!

I would remove State Pension from those who have their own personal pension income.

Thank you for the illuminating reply.

I think you have failed to notice that I do not have any heroes as far as poiticians are concerned.

I think that some of the benefits are essential for those who are really unable to work any more.

Those who have paid their NI tickets for their working lives have contributed to their state pensions which are therefore a right.

I agree that it is wrong to send winter fuel payment to those living in another and warmer country.

I agree with the boat tax of course, since mine is now as the Yachties say..."lying on the hard"

I have to say that your proposals seem very Conservative in their style!

Les
Old 18 November 2010, 01:08 PM
baz995
Scooby Regular

all they need to do to make real money real quick is put 1p tax on every text message that gets sent, over 1 billion get sent per week in the UK times that by 52 weeks in the year=lots of readies for the pot, i would rather do that than get raped at the pumps
Old 18 November 2010, 01:16 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

Why does anyone waste their life with these petitions they never lead to anything changing

TX.
Old 18 November 2010, 03:12 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Near enough what Osborne is doing, you're in danger of showing your true colour Tory boy!
Old 18 November 2010, 05:43 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Those who have paid their NI tickets for their working lives have contributed to their state pensions which are therefore a right.

Les
That's cobblers Les .... when you were paying your NI you were paying for the Pensioners THEN - you were never, ever, building up a nestegg for your benefit.

And, as we all need to share the pain (as your Tory heroes say) then, I'm afraid Les, your state pension gets removed as you have a handsome RAF Pension ....... now, I'm sure you will agree thats fair!?
Old 18 November 2010, 10:38 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

RAF pension was earned through hard graft and he has paid into the state all his life?

Don't understand.
Old 19 November 2010, 03:20 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

That's cobblers Les .... when you were paying your NI you were paying for the Pensioners THEN - you were never, ever, building up a nestegg for your benefit.

And, as we all need to share the pain (as your Tory heroes say) then, I'm afraid Les, your state pension gets removed as you have a handsome RAF Pension ....... now, I'm sure you will agree thats fair!?
I am sure you really can't be so thick as not to realise that is how the pension scheme works. We pay for those pensioners while we are working, and when we become pensioners the money comes from those paying their NI and so it goes on. Nothing unfair in that and as I said, those who paid their NI all their working life have a right to the state pension, that is how it should be.

As was mentioned, I paid my contributions to my Service pension all the time I was working as well and also have full rights to that pension as well. I earned the right to that just as much to the State pension. Incidentally the RAF pension I am entitled to would not keep you in hot dinners!

How about telling us about your heroes with their pensions which are gold plated final salary ones which others are not allowed to have any more. Have not even mentioned expenses yet!

Are you classed as a public service worker? You did work for the Government and spent so much time telling us how much you got paid and how rich you are, and how much you were being paid as a retired consultant. I remember you asking how anyone can live on less than £90K PA!

I think you should look to your own position before you start shooting your mouth off about other peoples' financial affairs.

Les

Quick Reply: Government Response - Fuel Duty