Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Anyone in the RAF?

... what jobs do you do?
Old 15 November 2010, 10:44 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was for a good many years as aircrew. Really enjoyed it.

Les
Old 15 November 2010, 10:57 AM
M4RKG
Scooby Regular

So what do you do now?

How old were you when you joined if you dont mind me asking, and what was your situation regarding family, were you married, any kids etc?

Sorry for the personal questions, I'm applying and wanting to get some honest answers regarding family life
Old 15 November 2010, 11:05 AM
Ant
Scooby Regular

When les joined your mum and dad was teenagers .

I have close family that are/been in the forces. It's all down to how you both cope with it. Some people can and some can't.

I was in the navy for a shortwhile as a aircraft mechanic but when weighing up the time I'd spend away I left. But the navy is completely different.

Brother in law is in the army has Been for about 13 years but now he's has two little ones and two black tours of afghan he's looking at getting out.
Old 15 November 2010, 11:22 AM
M4RKG
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by antc

I have close family that are/been in the forces. It's all down to how you both cope with it. Some people can and some can't.

I was in the navy for a shortwhile as a aircraft mechanic but when weighing up the time I'd spend away I left. But the navy is completely different.

Brother in law is in the army has Been for about 13 years but now he's has two little ones and two black tours of afghan he's looking at getting out.
Yea, both navy and army i'm not considering as with Navy i get that i'd be away for long stints at a time, and similar with the army
Old 15 November 2010, 03:37 PM
Richie856
Scooby Regular

Depending on your job, you could still be away mate. I was in the army and worked alongside RAF personnel. Some of them did 6mth tours in the Falklands.
Old 15 November 2010, 03:41 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by M4RKG
So what do you do now?

How old were you when you joined if you dont mind me asking, and what was your situation regarding family, were you married, any kids etc?

Sorry for the personal questions, I'm applying and wanting to get some honest answers regarding family life
What trade are you trying for? Time away varies between trades, I for example am away every 4-5 years but Raf Regiment are, by virtue of their job, away all the time! Once Im home Ill PM you with more details, and my mobile number so you can ask questions
Old 15 November 2010, 03:49 PM
M4RKG
Scooby Regular

I'm looking at NCO Aircrew.

I do understand that I would be away sometimes months on end, i'm talking on a more general scale, are you normally able to make it home most weekends (or when you have time off) albeit having to travel the length of the country to do so, or is this not normally possible?
Old 15 November 2010, 04:04 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

I do understand that I would be away sometimes months on end, i'm talking on a more general scale, are you normally able to make it home most weekends (or when you have time off) albeit having to travel the length of the country to do so, or is this not normally possible?
Would you not be living in marriage quarters?
Old 15 November 2010, 05:26 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Squadrons are pretty static, some deployments but mostly home in time for Emmerdale, by wanting to be Aircrew I take it you weren't intelligent enough to grab a trade?
Old 15 November 2010, 06:57 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt
by wanting to be Aircrew I take it you weren't intelligent enough to grab a trade?

I was accepted for 'Airframes' ...and then promptly failed the medical
Old 15 November 2010, 07:15 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by BOB.T
I was accepted for 'Airframes' ...and then promptly failed the medical
That is because you are a genius ..... but you eat too many pies
Old 15 November 2010, 07:31 PM
M4RKG
Scooby Regular

Squadrons are pretty static, some deployments but mostly home in time for Emmerdale, by wanting to be Aircrew I take it you weren't intelligent enough to grab a trade?
Intelligence isn't the issue... Just too old to be a pilot or in navigation (I'm 26) and air crew is one of the only ways I'm going to get into the air.

I'm not married nor do I have children... But I plan to do both, so no, wouldn't be in married quarters, yet anyways.

When you says 'trades' what do you mean exactly?
Old 15 November 2010, 08:02 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Good career path. Would you live in Married Quarters, ie. are you married, because chances are youd stay at the same station for a long time, with the same squadron.

Sorry, saw the above! Keep your options open, my trade is ICT Tech, ie. IT, satcomms, airfield equipment, radars, tactical (ie deployable) comms wing, Ive done a bit of it all, except IT thank God!

Last edited by Myles; 15 November 2010 at 08:05 PM.
Old 15 November 2010, 08:06 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

That is because you are a genius ..... but you eat too many pies
Airframes doesnt suggest genius to me! Still, it takes all sorts in the RAF!
Old 15 November 2010, 08:12 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Myles
Airframes doesnt suggest genius to me! Still, it takes all sorts in the RAF!
Could have done any of the trades actually!

mmmmmm pie
Old 15 November 2010, 08:25 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BOB.T
Could have done any of the trades actually!

mmmmmm pie
Judging by the standard these days, you could have been the Air Vice Marshal.
Old 16 November 2010, 05:24 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

So what do you do now?

I play with motor bikes and cars, bit of fishing eyc

I was 19 when i joined, after the boot camp bit I was sent to Canada for my training. Was not married until I had settled on my first squadron in Germany and then had children.

Lived in married quarters for a while until I was able to buy my first house.

I did not mind the discipline, it was all logical coupled with the job anyway. it is still a pretty individual kind of job, you had to make your own decisions and get them right. Above all I enjoyed having my own crew and coordinating them to get the job done in the best way. I was always lucky enough to have crew members of top ability so we all took a pride in aiming for the best results.

I was lucky enough to get a very wide experience in the aircraft I flew and the type of role as well. I think that these days that would be much more difficult to do with the smaller numbers of different aircraft now.

If you like controlling machinery and also working with others as a team, you cannot fail to enjoy it.

Les
Old 16 November 2010, 05:26 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

What else could I expect from a rude b*gger like you!

Les
Old 17 November 2010, 06:18 AM
Pink_Floyd
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did 10 years on Sqns as a techie and I would say in recent years everyone is spending more and more time away from home. It's not a bad life all things considered. My only warning to people would be promotion and time away. We used to work on a rotation of 12 weeks in the Gulf, home for a month or two, 3 weeks in Canada, home a month, two weeks on TLP in Belgium and then maybe a big glitzy detachment to North America. It all depended on operational requirements. I think on my time on Tonkas (Tornados) I probably spent 5 months a year on detachment.

The RAF is very small in comparison to the other services and depending on your branch / trade you could be waiting a long time for promotion and certainly much longer than the charlatans at the careers office tell you I remember having Army mates in Germany I met though sport and one had made S/Sgt in 4.5 years another was a CPL in 3. In the RAF in my trade you'd be lucky to have made those ranks in 12-15!

The other consideration is your life not being yours. At the drop of a hat you could be asked to do something or go somewhere you'd rather not, at Christmas, or when you've finally got into some young things knickers you've been chasing for months! No matter what you'll always be making cups of tea for someone, no matter how high you progress

Would I do it again? Probably not but it gave me some great life skills (I joined at 17) and I travelled loads. I managed to go to;

Canada, Norway, Denmark, Germany, Saudi, Kuwait, Las Vegas, Belgium, Spain, France among others.

As I say not a bad life, just go into the process with your eyes and ears open

Last edited by Pink_Floyd; 17 November 2010 at 06:23 AM.
Old 17 November 2010, 06:44 AM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Hello Sailor!
Old 17 November 2010, 09:16 AM
M4RKG
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Pink_Floyd
I did 10 years on Sqns as a techie and I would say in recent years everyone is spending more and more time away from home. It's not a bad life all things considered. My only warning to people would be promotion and time away. We used to work on a rotation of 12 weeks in the Gulf, home for a month or two, 3 weeks in Canada, home a month, two weeks on TLP in Belgium and then maybe a big glitzy detachment to North America. It all depended on operational requirements. I think on my time on Tonkas (Tornados) I probably spent 5 months a year on detachment.

The RAF is very small in comparison to the other services and depending on your branch / trade you could be waiting a long time for promotion and certainly much longer than the charlatans at the careers office tell you I remember having Army mates in Germany I met though sport and one had made S/Sgt in 4.5 years another was a CPL in 3. In the RAF in my trade you'd be lucky to have made those ranks in 12-15!

The other consideration is your life not being yours. At the drop of a hat you could be asked to do something or go somewhere you'd rather not, at Christmas, or when you've finally got into some young things knickers you've been chasing for months! No matter what you'll always be making cups of tea for someone, no matter how high you progress

Would I do it again? Probably not but it gave me some great life skills (I joined at 17) and I travelled loads. I managed to go to;

Canada, Norway, Denmark, Germany, Saudi, Kuwait, Las Vegas, Belgium, Spain, France among others.

Thanks for that, i've got a pretty good picture now of what to expect... to be honest, the main thing for me is to gain a career, as at the minute i'm 26 and stuck in a call centre with qualifications i'm not going to use.

I've already travelled the world, so that side of thing would be nice, but not essential.

Does seem that alot of people in the know say its a great career, but on the other hand advise against it, espesh as times as they are at the minute.
Old 17 November 2010, 09:52 AM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful
Hello Sailor!
Sorry You're not my type
Old 17 November 2010, 09:59 AM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

RAF and Army promotion are two very different kettles of fish. The RAF have Terms of Service to 55. The Army is normally 22 years, officially in at 18 and out at 40. There are exceptions but the cut backs are now putting pressure on this.

My mate is an Air Eng on the Tristars and hates the RAF discipline, it's pretty slack compared to the Army.

And before the RAF softies get their hackles up, he did time with the Army before his RAF service. Having now done 30 years in green I think I have the insight to reply.
Old 17 November 2010, 10:48 AM
Myles
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by The Trooper 1815
RAF and Army promotion are two very different kettles of fish. The RAF have Terms of Service to 55. The Army is normally 22 years, officially in at 18 and out at 40. There are exceptions but the cut backs are now putting pressure on this.

My mate is an Air Eng on the Tristars and hates the RAF discipline, it's pretty slack compared to the Army.

And before the RAF softies get their hackles up, he did time with the Army before his RAF service. Having now done 30 years in green I think I have the insight to reply.
I can comment on the discipline differences between RAF and Army, using my trade and the Army equivalent as an example.

The standard of Airman has gone down, just as I was told when I joined up. Discipline varies unit to unit, wing to wing etc. My trade equivalent, the Royal Signals are not exactly disciplined. Having worked with them in the field and back in the UK, there are good and bad, much the same as my trade. Ive seen some right bags of sh1te in the Sigs, and I have worked with some RIGHT bags of sh1te in my time in.

Fitness is a major issue in the RAF, but the Signals surely cant all be passing their fit tests. There are some right pie eaters in the Sigs. Their tech knowledge wasnt as good in the lower ranks as our trade a few years ago.

Anyway, to the OP. Go for it, you are not married and have no kids. I joined up at 26 and as long as you toe the line youll be left alone, because they concentrate on the 18yo ******* who show a penchant for being a cvnt!
Aircrew is a good career path due to quick promotion, to start with anyway. I cant promise it wont slow daown after Sgt Aircrew.
Old 17 November 2010, 10:54 AM
Pink_Floyd
Scooby Regular

You are right mate, it's not a direct fair comparison for me to make. I think on the whole though it's something that works in Army lads favour. It's not unknown for techies in the RAF to spend 15 years as what is effectively a Private and unless they get promoted to CPL they won't get their 22 year engagement. It's effectively a wasted career.

As for the RAF discipline, well......

I can comment on the discipline differences between RAF and Army, using my trade and the Army equivalent as an example.

The standard of Airman has gone down, just as I was told when I joined up. Discipline varies unit to unit, wing to wing etc. My trade equivalent, the Royal Signals are not exactly disciplined. Having worked with them in the field and back in the UK, there are good and bad, much the same as my trade. Ive seen some right bags of sh1te in the Sigs, and I have worked with some RIGHT bags of sh1te in my time in.

Fitness is a major issue in the RAF, but the Signals surely cant all be passing their fit tests. There are some right pie eaters in the Sigs. Their tech knowledge wasnt as good in the lower ranks as our trade a few years ago.

Anyway, to the OP. Go for it, you are not married and have no kids. I joined up at 26 and as long as you toe the line youll be left alone, because they concentrate on the 18yo ******* who show a penchant for being a cvnt!
Aircrew is a good career path due to quick promotion, to start with anyway. I cant promise it wont slow daown after Sgt Aircrew.
After spending a bit of time seconded to the Army I can honestly say I was happy to go back to my blue suit
Old 17 November 2010, 11:03 AM
Myles
Scooby Regular

You are right mate, it's not a direct fair comparison for me to make. I think on the whole though it's something that works in Army lads favour. It's not unknown for techies in the RAF to spend 15 years as what is effectively a Private and unless they get promoted to CPL they won't get their 22 year engagement. It's effectively a wasted career.

As for the RAF discipline, well......

After spending a bit of time seconded to the Army I can honestly say I was happy to go back to my blue suit
The Army save the 'special treatment' for RAF doing training or detached to them. We do a lot of training at Blandford and they do give it both barrels to the blue suits. What they cant stand is all the variations of dress that we can turn up in. We do it to p1ss them off and it works!
Old 17 November 2010, 11:06 AM
Pink_Floyd
Scooby Regular

The Army save the 'special treatment' for RAF doing training or detached to them. We do a lot of training at Blandford and they do give it both barrels to the blue suits. What they cant stand is all the variations of dress that we can turn up in. We do it to p1ss them off and it works!
I have met a few lads who tell a similar story.
Old 17 November 2010, 12:02 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I laugh in your face at dress variations. Try being in the Cavalry
Old 17 November 2010, 12:29 PM
Myles
Scooby Regular

I laugh in your face at dress variations. Try being in the Cavalry
I dont know about the Cavalry, but we can have the following:

Airman 1. Short sleeve shirt, jumper, GP Jacket (cotton). Shoes. Beret.
Airman 2. Long sleeve shirt, tie, no jumper, Geltex Jacket (blue, formerly the crisp packet). Boots. Forage cap
Airman 3. Long sleeve shirt, tie, v neck jumper, Fluorescent Geltex Jacket. Trainers (a biff). No1 SD Hat (lost beret, biff)
Airman 4. Long sleeve shirt, jumper (no tie), GP Jacket. Shoes. Beret.

Note. The Geltex jacket is the destroyer of good drill, it will mask the sound of digging the heels in to avoid tick tocking or loss of good marching. That is why it was called the crisp packet because of the noise it made, and it is an unwritten law that when being drilled/paraded/marched by the Army or on an Army unit, at least 10% of marching troops must wear the crisp packet.

Quick Reply: Anyone in the RAF?