Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Should we not post for 2.min at 11.30am as a sign of respect to the Queen Mother??

Search this Thread

Old 09 April 2002, 08:04 AM
Luke
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Open question, for or against.
Old 09 April 2002, 09:21 AM
Nowucme
Scooby Regular

for
Old 09 April 2002, 09:28 AM
Toerag
Scooby Regular

For
Treat it as a 'writing' silence
Old 09 April 2002, 09:29 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

against
Old 09 April 2002, 09:35 AM
gregh
Scooby Regular

for in principle, but in practise it won't work unless simon unilaterally closes the board for 2 mins.
Old 09 April 2002, 09:37 AM
Jolly Green Monster 2
Scooby Regular

Wink

For
Old 09 April 2002, 09:42 AM
ChrisB

Two minute by which clock though???
Old 09 April 2002, 09:54 AM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

Previous posts have suggested there if far from a common view on Scoobynet around the respect due to the Queen Mother. Personally I think its a matter for individuals. I wont be doing very much at all let alone posting.

Deano
Old 09 April 2002, 10:26 AM
ADP
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
does anyone know if I can get a web cast of the event?? would like to see it but stuck in the orrifice ofcourse.
Old 09 April 2002, 10:48 AM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Against. Isnt it enough that I had to miss neigbours yesterday?
Old 09 April 2002, 11:00 AM
SCOTTSCOOBY
Scooby Regular

GOOD IDEA I WONT BE POSTING.

SCOTTSCOOBY
Old 09 April 2002, 11:01 AM
ADP
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/uk/newsid_1910000/1910748.stm

full online video coverage for anyone interested
Old 09 April 2002, 11:33 AM
jetskidia
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

very very very AGAINST !!!!!
an old woman who had a very very priveleged life has died, sad for her family, thats about it !
Old 09 April 2002, 11:43 AM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Very against. What's it gotta do with us?

I just popped out to Boots to get some photos. They were shut. It was 11am.

I banged on the door, and when they opened it to tell me to go away, I pointed out that I wanted to pick up my photos, and didn't give a rat's **** about the old dear.

They let me in, and I picked up my photos.

Oh, and my company's clock is 2 minutes fast, so they did the silence at the wrong time. Duh.
Old 09 April 2002, 11:45 AM
SCOTTSCOOBY
Scooby Regular

FAIR ENOUGH IF YOU DONT CARE ABOUT SOMEONE DEAD! WE ALL OUR OWN PEOPLE AINT WE. I PREFER TO SHOW A BIT OF RESPECT, WOULD WANT IT IF SOMEONE IN MY FAMILY DIED.
Old 09 April 2002, 12:06 PM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Angry

I think you're missing the point.

People die. Every day. Hundreds of people.

When my great Uncle died, I showed respect, as did everyone who knew him. But there were plenty of people (most in the world, in fact) who didn't - quite rightly so.

Frankly, I did't know the Queen mum any more than I know half the people on this BBS. In fact, I knew here less well than that. The only connection I have with her is that I've seen her on the telly a few times, and my tax paid for her lifestyle.

If the Queen, and any members of public, want to mourn, grieve, hold a silence or whatever, that's great - and their choice. But I am sick and tired of reading about all this, and don't like having such 'mourning' imposed on me.

I could even understand if the Queen mum'd been our monarch. That might make more sense. But she wasn't. Will this level of media hysteria accompany Prince Phillip when he passes on? I doubt it.

I find your patronising tone fairly insulting - if you want to keep the silence, go ahead - but don't call me disrespectful if I choose not to....
Old 09 April 2002, 12:13 PM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

*sigh* it not just about how YOU feel. its about showing respect for how others may feel. surprisingly we all have different feelings about what it means to us ranging from those who felt the need to camp out for 36 hours before hand to those to whom it didnt matter one jot.

The shop was closed. You were not respecting their feelings by demanding they serve you. You have every right to carry on as you wanted - and you should allow others to have done what they wanted.

It never ceases to amaze how many people refuse to accept that other people may have a different point of view which should be respected as being just as valid as your own, however much it may differ.
Old 09 April 2002, 12:24 PM
Beef
Scooby Regular

Nonsense. Had it been 11:30 that Mark wanted to get his pics then you might have a point, but 30 minutes beforehand? Nope, that's just not being sensible.

If people want to waste days queuing to see a boring box that probably doesn't even contain the stiff that's their lookout, as long as they don't expect me to give a monkeys about the whole thing they can do what they like. Personally I couldn't care less that the old bat is dead - that's my point of view and you should respect it.
Old 09 April 2002, 12:27 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

And do you think that all these people working in shops, offices etc were all thinking about the Queen Mum in the 2 min silence? Most welcomed the excuse to take 5 mins or so off work. Its just a press frenzy - if it wasnt all over the tv or in the papers etc would there even be a 2 min silence?

I have no problem with people showing their respect but to criticise those who dont is wrong.
Old 09 April 2002, 12:34 PM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Angry

Can I just clarify a point here.

All of the employees in Boots were working. They'd been instructed to take the time to do some stock-checking and other stuff. They weren't watching the service, thinking silently or showing respect. When I spoke to them they said it was daft - none of them gave a ****, either - it just meant they'd be busier this afternoon.

The store - like all the others - jumped on the bandwagon for fear of looking disrespectful. You can guarantee that the person who made the decision was somebody in PR near the top of the company, who thought it would look good, not actually considering that it would be unreflective of the vast majority of the population.

The same goes for the tabloid banners proclaiming 'a nation in mourning'. Total cobblers.

And if you want me to comment on those who felt a morbid need to camp out all night to see the coffin of somebody they'd never met or spoken to, I will - but I guarantee I'll offend a fair few people when I do...
Old 09 April 2002, 12:34 PM
Markk
Scooby Newbie

Considering mutual respect is the basis of any law abiding civilised society then I think criticising those that don't show respect is fair comment.

However, whether the actions described above could be described as lack of respect is another question. Using derogotary terms in connection with the deceased (any deceased regardless of status) is certainly showing a lack of respect in my opinion.
Old 09 April 2002, 12:37 PM
Simon
Scooby Regular

Beef,

Based on your profile, I presume you're British. Thus the Royals are still your Royals, they are your heads of state, and whether you like them or not, you owe them respect at the very least. In theory you should owe them loyalty as well, but I guess that's too much to ask.
Old 09 April 2002, 12:50 PM
Beef
Scooby Regular

Show repect for the dead? Who doesn't? I feel sad for the family that they've lost someone, the same way I would any family that loses someone. To have thet person's death constantly being shoved down my throat isn't they way to increase my repect for them though. Take TV for example - all but one of the terrestrial channels were showing the funeral. Now BBC I can understand, but the other channels were just jumping on the bandwagon.

It's all this 'bandwagon-jumping' that's turned it from being a sad event for the family into something that appears a farce.

As for respecting the royals just because they are royal - no, I won't do that. I respect the flag of our country, and what it represents. If the call to arms was made, I would go forth and defend that flag, but I will not automatically honour someone just because they live in a palace - they, like everyone else, have to earn my respect.

I'll admit, the Queen Mother did earn my respect - what she did to help out during the World Wars would make anyone worthy of respect, but in the same way that I haven't been to the funuerals of every veteran that's died since being in battle, I'm not going to show any increased interest in this funeral. She's dead, it's sad, lets get on with things.
Old 09 April 2002, 12:53 PM
Markk
Scooby Newbie

Beef,

Calling her an 'old bag' doesn't sound like you're being respectful.

M
Old 09 April 2002, 12:58 PM
Beef
Scooby Regular

Wink

I didn't call her an old bag, I called her an old bat. Besides, what's disrespectful about that? She's old - that's a statement of fact, and to call her a bat, an intelligent creature well adapted to its environment, again seems complimentary, not insulting.
Old 09 April 2002, 12:59 PM
Markk
Scooby Newbie

bag, bat, no matter - disrespectful in my eyes.
Old 09 April 2002, 01:01 PM
Simon
Scooby Regular

Beef, people deserve respect, the very basic level of respect that includes not trampling all over their grief and not having an insult-fest behind their recently-deceased backs ( using phrases such as 'old bat'). They deserve this respect by being people - by belonging to the same species as you do, by being as human as you. Of course, people can get more respect than that. Some people can get respect for the persons they are, for their deeds, their words, their personalities. _That_ kind of respect certainly is earned. But it isn't the only kind of respect there is.
Old 09 April 2002, 01:10 PM
Markk
Scooby Newbie

So, basically, you're one notch above a murderer
Old 09 April 2002, 01:21 PM
Jerry*
Scooby Regular

Angry

Wow - there really are some ignorant people on this BBS.

They may not like the media coverage (and lets face it - most of it is way over the top !) but some people really should read into history a bit more before shooting their mouths off about her 'cushty' lifestyle and how she did nowt and we paid for it etc... Educated opinions please !!

I wouldn't have posted !

How can you not respect someone who's been through all she has - she deserves anyone's respect.

P1Fanatic,

How did you know that the Boots staff were working though the two min silence if you never got through the door ? Are photies that urgent ?

Old 09 April 2002, 01:31 PM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

Didnt twig it was @ 11.00 not 11.30. If they were still working then fair enough. I agree companies should not dicate that their staff should/shouldn't do in this respect, and it was undoubtly a corporate decision.

It should have been left to the individuals. both customers and staff.

Quick Reply: Should we not post for 2.min at 11.30am as a sign of respect to the Queen Mother??