Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Should I get a Plasma or Led Please help going mad

Search this Thread

Old 05 November 2010, 08:38 PM
vallumlj
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I get a Plasma or Led Please help going mad

I wanted to go and buy a lg pk590 tv today and the sales assistant in Richer Sounds said he would go for led as the technolghy was better and in his opinion they give a better picture.

When I looked at them side by side I did actually prefer the led.

I then went to a second shop and he advised me to go for a plasma. I then went to the sony centre and they told me they only stock led now.

This has really confused me. I have a max budget of £1000.

Should i still go for the lg plasma for £630 or is there a good led in my price range.
I have seen the samsung 3d lcd and plasma packages that are 1k.

Is the samsung 46" c750 a good buy or the samsung ps50c9000

I will be using it mainly for sd programs with a few blueray films. I want a tv which is a min of 46".

Thanks for the help.
Old 05 November 2010, 08:45 PM
r32
Scooby Regular

Have you tried AV FORUMS?
Would probably be the best place for advice.
Old 05 November 2010, 08:53 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by r32
Have you tried AV FORUMS?
Would probably be the best place for advice.
+1
Old 05 November 2010, 09:00 PM
hpoolsteve
Scooby Regular

Plasma is brilliant for watching fast motion stuff like football etc.
They still have a reputation of image burning into the screen which can be a pain.

I went to buy an LED and was advised against it because the features that you get on them compared to a an LCD is not as great yet.
LED are brilliant if you are wall mounting.

I ended up with an LG LCD 42" full HD 200hz. It brilliant. To be honest i researched for ages and had my heart set an a LED but the lady i was speaking to about it convinced me to go LCD (and she new what she was talking about, quite scary really).

As for 3D it will evenyually get there but as it stands at the minute Sky only have 1 channel dedicated to it and the few movies and games on PS3. Like everything they will come down in price and technology will improve, In my opion in a years time 3D will be awesome.
Old 05 November 2010, 10:50 PM
Richie856
Scooby Regular

Another vote for AV Forums
If you're getting a plasma, go for something like a Panasonic where image burn/retention isn't so much of an issue these days.
Also if you have a John Lewis near you, check their prices with Richer Sounds as they do price matching.
Old 05 November 2010, 11:23 PM
TheVoices
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Panasonic 50" plasma on offer at Richer Sounds for £499 at the moment !
Old 05 November 2010, 11:35 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Don't buy LG. Average performace and terrible support and customer service. The Samsung LED's are awesome, both in quality and price. I have always been a Sony fan, but if was just spanking cash, Sony's efforts on LED are just Conference league. If you want something affordable with quality, go for Panny plasma. If you don't care what it costs, get a Samsung 3D LED
Old 05 November 2010, 11:41 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Richie856
Another vote for AV Forums
If you're getting a plasma, go for something like a Panasonic where image burn/retention isn't so much of an issue these days.
Also if you have a John Lewis near you, check their prices with Richer Sounds as they do price matching.
Plus John Lewis provide a 5 year warranty
Old 05 November 2010, 11:56 PM
ScoobLou
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fast bloke
Don't buy LG. Average performace and terrible support and customer service. The Samsung LED's are awesome, both in quality and price. I have always been a Sony fan, but if was just spanking cash, Sony's efforts on LED are just Conference league. If you want something affordable with quality, go for Panny plasma. If you don't care what it costs, get a Samsung 3D LED

I disagree LG have been by far the best value and their customer service is second to none.

No I don't work for them but they did replace a tv we had and the replacement has been faultless since. I think for the money they great!
Old 05 November 2010, 11:57 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Image burn isn't an issue with plasmas (Viera ones anyway) - Beer and mates caused my to leave Call of Duty paused for 10 hours. When I turned off the PS3, you could still see the scores, but it disappeared after about 2 minutes
Old 06 November 2010, 12:05 AM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

We've got a 42" LG LED, absolutly spot on. Colours are exellent, picture is crisp and sharp and the HD is well... It is frame-less only 3cm thick so looks the nuts on the wall.

My mate has a 50" Panasonic Plasma and he would tell you the same. Niether of us would swap each other as our tastes/views differ and we like what we see.

It is too easy to get bogged down with it all and end up with someone elses TV on your wall.

Honestly, goto Currys and have a look at them all side by side, pick the one that YOU like best, then shop around for a good price.
Old 06 November 2010, 12:23 AM
JeffSTI2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dingdongler
+1
+2 Mate

Put the same question on AV forums.

Buying the new telly these days is a bloody minefield. I was in the same boat earlier this year and I ended up narrowing it down to the Samsung LED's and Panny Plasmas.

I bought a Panasonic TX-P42G15B from John Lewis in the end as it had the most features for the money compared to the LED Samsungs and the reviews for it were all good. Having said that the Samsungs HD picture was a mile better when you put them next to each other

Also be aware that TV's these days have a muiltitude of extras, for example, DNLA capability, Internet connectivity, Freesat tuners, freeview+ tuners etc etc.

Don't just base your eventual choice on the price or you could end up with a load of features you won't use. You wouldn't spend all your money on a 300bhp Scooby and drive it around a 30mph all the time would you?

Take your time and eventually it all starts to make sense.

Good luck
Old 06 November 2010, 01:28 AM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Avforums isn't great for looking advice on LCD/Plasma/LED imo, its a bit like asking JackClark what phone you should buy. Most and I do mean most of the information at hand on that forum is opinion dressed in a fact suit which is why I just don't bother with it unless i'm really stuck.

The LG 50pk590 is a nice TV by the way, very good value for money and the styling is lush.
Old 06 November 2010, 01:59 AM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jamz3k
Avforums isn't great for looking advice on LCD/Plasma/LED imo, its a bit like asking JackClark what phone you should buy. Most and I do mean most of the information at hand on that forum is opinion dressed in a fact suit which is why I just don't bother with it unless i'm really stuck.

The LG 50pk590 is a nice TV by the way, very good value for money and the styling is lush.
But it's an LG - When it breaks it will be your fault. You broke it by looking at it too hard
Old 06 November 2010, 02:27 AM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

I bother with AVforums a lot. By far the best advice I have ever received for all things AV. I have saved a fortune since going on there and have got some pretty decent stuff as a result. I ended up with a Panasonic Plasma, I bought it a year ago after doing a complete u turn. Initially I was convinced that a specific Sony LCD 1080p 24fps TV was what I was after. Ended up with a the 720p Panny saved £200 and it was by far the best TV for my needs, i.e. 80% TV/20%Bluray.

With TVs I would do a lot of searching on their forums first as comparing sets in stores like currys is a total waste of time. Usually the lighting levels are completely different to your home and they will all be showing 1080p to show it off at its best. This is where LCD and LEDs can look really good but take half of them home and they will look naff when hooked up to your freeview box. This time last year the Pana Plasmas where brilliant at everything but the market changes so fast its best to get opinions more up to date (although they probably still are the best its just Ive not had need to research).

Work out what environment you'll be watching you tv in most of the time, do you need a high contrast ratio, better blacks, higher refresh rate for sports, brighter screen, what is the processing like? All things that have a far bigger impact on picture quality than 760p vs 1080p. Richersounds do offer some good sets, try getting the model numbers, look at some reviews and go from there. Settle on 2or3 and see them in store just to check they are as expected.
Old 06 November 2010, 10:12 AM
vallumlj
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the help. I posted on avforums before here. I just wanted some more views.

Thanks for the help
Old 06 November 2010, 10:21 AM
skoobidude
Scooby Regular

You'll never get a one-sided answer, only peoples opinions..

"Shall I buy an Evo or Impreza?"

I've got a 42" LED on my kitchen wall and it's awesome with Blu-ray. Didn't have much choice though as it was all free
Old 06 November 2010, 11:33 AM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Impreza
Old 06 November 2010, 11:40 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

The response rate of a Plasma is about the same as a CRT whereas that of an LCD has not yet reached that kind of speed.

That effectively means that moving picture content as in sport will alway appear sharper on a Plasma.

The colour range of a Plasma is also better so that you can get better and more natural colours in the picture.

Plasma's used to have a reputation for failing in earlier days but they are very reliable now.

Sony no longer prduce Plasma sets, the one I used to have was very good.

I am very pleased with my Panasonic Plasma and the 1080P is worth getting too. It seems to be sharper on non HD pictures probably due to extra pixels and is future proof for better HD in the future.

I would always get a Plasma now anyway.

Les
Old 06 November 2010, 11:45 AM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went through this a few weeks ago and eventually went for a Panasonic plasma because I thought the picture was better..........as long as the room isn't too bright.

In sunlight the picture looks a bit washed out, not a problem this time of year as it's dark when I get home. I might have to draw one of the curtains in the middle of summer though.LOL

Shaun
Old 06 November 2010, 12:00 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Agree with everything Leslie is saying. Like I said my set is excellent and that was a year ago. For the same price I paid £500 (from Richersound) you can get a higher spec with 1080p, or 760p for a £100 less! and I have no problems with sunlight although plasmas slightly glossier appearance could in theory make it more susceptible to reflection but personally I havent had any problems there either.

How much does higher HD matter to you? i.e. what screen size are you looking for and how far away are you sitting? Mines 37" and completely undetectable from 1080p watching it 3.5 meters away. Take the 2 richersounds models they have now for example. £100 is 20%of the cost and for a 42" you're not loosing 20%picture quality by any means, in fact if your watching normal or HD TV quite a bit then 760p is a closer resolution match to what is broadcasted and in theory should provide a better picture anyway, allowing you to buy a very decent HDMI cable with the change.
that last bit was a joke. Please dont spend much on HDMI cables.
Old 06 November 2010, 12:59 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Panny do 3D plasma sets now

thats the route i'd go

Mart
Old 06 November 2010, 01:01 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Do you have one?
Old 06 November 2010, 02:06 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

My advice: If you are on a budget (£600-£1000ish) Plasma.

Have alook at some of the waffle I posted here as its still pretty current: https://www.scoobynet.com/computer-r...room-help.html

To sum up

LG 50PK350 upwards (avoid the LG PJ series (pj350 pj650etc) etc as these are 720p and not that much cheaper for a vastly inferior TV). The PK series (pk350, pk590 etc.) are all pretty similar quality panel but the higher-end ones have more features and connectivity.

Panasonic TX-P42S20 is a good alternative - same prices, but smaller screen so better for a smaller room. TX-P46S20 is the same screen but 46"

A far Superior TV to both is the panasonic TX-P42G20 or TX-P46G20. Which provides far better contrast and image motion interpolation, But its much more expensive. EDIT - the TX-P42G20 is now the same price as the TX-P42S20!!!

Above this it will be a matrix LED backlit LCD. These are still fetching well over £1K

I wouldn't bother considering an edge lit LED panel (which is still a conventional LCD but with different lighting method), as this IMO is a budget/"fashion" screen that only offers the same issues a conventional lit LCD, albeit with better contrast and being much thinner.

Currently most sub £1K "LED" panels are edge-lit. So tread carefully if you want to get the "best" picture quality for your money. As many manufacturers are very vague/coy when it comes to confirming what type of LED panel their TVs actually are.

If in doubt on which model LED panel is edge-lit or matrix lit, its worth popping the question on a forum somewhere with the exact moedel number (the whole model number, as one letter difference/omitted can mean a totally different panel - especially LG and Samsung and Panasonic). This is where camera phones come in use; when in the shop I take a picture of the price/spec tag of TVs I'm interested in, so I can go home and use it for reference when checking it on the 'net.

Last edited by ALi-B; 07 November 2010 at 01:51 AM. Reason: prices have changed since I last looked
Old 06 November 2010, 03:20 PM
Rob_Impreza99
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by b13bat
Honestly, goto Currys
Pixel Pete will back you up on that, from what i read on here his aftercare from Currys was second to none.

Ive had a 42 inch Panasonic Viera plasma for a couple of years now, the colours are stunning. They are great for watching sport and films especially in HD, you won't go wrong with a Panasonic Viera, make sure you buy from John Lewis as they will price match against any other reputable dealer with a high street store (not the internet) plus they give a 5 year warranty an all TV's.

The only down side with the Viera in my opinion is the speakers could be a lot better, i have a home cinema setup so thats not an issue for me. Thats just a minor thing, the most important thing with any TV is the picture quality as you can improve the sound later via your own speakers and home cinema setup.
Old 06 November 2010, 03:36 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rob_Impreza99
Ive had a 42 inch Panasonic Viera plasma for a couple of years now, the colours are stunning. They are great for watching sport and films especially in HD, you won't go wrong with a Panasonic Viera, make sure you buy from John Lewis as they will price match against any other reputable dealer with a high street store (not the internet) plus they give a 5 year warranty an all TV's.
+1,
although Richersounds came out at the same as they were £50 less but £50 for a 5 year warranty. Whether its worth it is up to you. How soon will you upgrade? Do you feel confident persuing warranty claims under the sales of goods act for those 4-5 years?

There seems to be a lot of support for the vieras, observe the braking in time and it will be fantastic with non of the associated plasma drawbacks.

The only down side with the Viera in my opinion is the speakers could be a lot better, i have a home cinema setup so thats not an issue for me. Thats just a minor thing, the most important thing with any TV is the picture quality as you can improve the sound later via your own speakers and home cinema setup.
+1
Old 06 November 2010, 05:15 PM
Rapid17
Scooby Regular

I bought one of the first HD ready 42" Panasonic Viera plamas in July 2005 and it han't missed a beat. SD picture quality is very good, HD is excellent.

Geoff.
Old 06 November 2010, 05:17 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Geoff, do you go shooting by any chance?
Old 06 November 2010, 09:51 PM
vallumlj
Scooby Regular

We when looking today and I thought we would be going the down the plasma route until we saw a samsung led and the picture did look stunning.

We really want a big tv but they only offer the samsung led in 47 or 55 and 47 is to small and the 55 is to much money.

I still think the samsung 3d 50" plasma package for £999 is hard to beat.

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/sams...y-playe/793565

should i go for the 3d or the samsung 47" for £900

Thanks for your views.
Old 06 November 2010, 10:00 PM
dannyboygti
Scooby Regular

led all the way such a noticeable differance

Quick Reply: Should I get a Plasma or Led Please help going mad