Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Am I disabled?

Search this Thread

Old 23 October 2010, 07:55 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Am I disabled?

I was at a local shopping outlet and waiting in the car for my wife opposite the disabled bays I noticed a couple returning to their car, a 20 something year old woman and, presumably her Mum, a late 40s woman, perfectly able carrying their shopping.

Then drove in a people carrier, out got 5 greasy, slicked backed haired 'birds' with diadora grey tracksuits (you know the ones I mean), all very able and nothing obviously disabled about them. They clocked me watching them and started to twitch. I got out and pretended to text to see if they would react, that got them shuffling all over the place, however, they soon moved off but kept looking over their shoulder. They gave me the impression that they thought I may be an undercover security person or something so I thought Id have a bit off fun and make them sweat as I get annoyed by people parking in areas they shouldnt so I walked over to the front of the car. Before I got to the front one of them shouted "would you like to see my photo ID, it matches"! What the...??! What is going on? There is obviously something dodgy going on here and its making me think how easy is it to get a permit?

Could I get one? Am I disabled, I mean my knee aches occasionally and I have asthma.
Old 23 October 2010, 08:01 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Blue badges are issued for a multitude of reasons so it's hard to look and judge at times.
That said it is very common for family members of the disabled person to use and abuse too.

Very wrong IMO
Old 23 October 2010, 08:08 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I park in the disabled bays in my van and it makes me laugh the stares it gets when I walk on and there is nothing wrong with me The disabled badge is for my missus and she is perfectly able to walk and it would appear there is nothing wrong with her but thats where it ends. Just caused people aren't crawling out of their cars it doesn't mean they don't have a disability. Its so funny people staring at the dash looking for a badge! The idea of you looking for thier badge and trying to wind them up makes no difference to them but shows alot of you.
Old 23 October 2010, 08:10 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Usually the preserve of middle aged blokes in X5's, wearing designer tat and giving you a don't say anything look, feeling sheepish and a bit agressive, more trouble than its worth but the Alpha Male genes and laziness make it worth it, I park even closer than the disabled bay as I usually go on my push bike and chain it up, about ten feet away from the entrance.
Old 23 October 2010, 08:13 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

These places are reserved for failures and the genuinely disabled
Old 23 October 2010, 09:52 PM
DARB
Scooby Regular

If there are a few disabled spaces left then I'll use one, because I'm f**cking sick and tired of the bumps and knocks that you get from all the arsholes that think your car is a doorstop for them, I have tried parking on the other side of the car park but no matter how empty the car park is someone always parks next to me ggrrrrr, I have drove around for ages waiting for a good space but if I can't get one I'll put it in a disabled bay ( if there are a few empty ) if ya think I'm outta order, then never mind I'll get over it
Old 23 October 2010, 10:08 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

I very rarely venture into the disabled bays. I once did and had this ol' granny tap my window, I thought that was me getting a lecture but she just wanted me to keep dick on her car because she hadn't a blue-badge either.

Family bays annoy me, why should they get bigger spaces as their cars are already riddled with dents scrapes plus they have interiors that no decent thief would risk their life venturing into.

I like the use the Pick-Up point at my Local Tescos though, its the closest to the door!
Old 23 October 2010, 10:41 PM
badboyz666
Scooby Regular

[quote=Jamz3k;9672484 family bays annoy me, why should they get bigger spaces as their cars are already riddled with dents scrapes plus they have interiors that no decent thief would risk their life venturing into.

I like the use the Pick-Up point at my Local Tescos though, its the closest to the door![/quote]

because if they didnt have bigger spaces which 1 of us would be crying like a baby when our 5 year olds open the door full whack into your prized scooby ..you or me???
Old 23 October 2010, 10:49 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

I don't drive a scoob, so i wouldn't know.

I just don't understand why you parents just don't leave the sprogs at home. Lock them in the house for an hour or two with some farleys rusks. Whats the worst that could happen?

Last edited by Jamz3k; 23 October 2010 at 10:50 PM.
Old 23 October 2010, 11:08 PM
Mooburu
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jamz3k
I don't drive a scoob, so i wouldn't know.

I just don't understand why you parents just don't leave the sprogs at home. Lock them in the house for an hour or two with some farleys rusks. Whats the worst that could happen?
That is going to provoke an argument.

I remember a few years back, I had a Vecta GSI and was on VVOC (Vauxhall Vectra Owners Club) and some member on there parks on the line separating two bays (so taking up two spaces) to protect his pride and joy from the people that use cars as door stops.

He made a thread explaining this and went on to say he’d done it earlier in the day and someone obviously thought he was a selfish **** so they kicked his doors in.
Old 23 October 2010, 11:13 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Its a good idea keeping them all together and spaced out, means that my car is safe from dings when Im with my baby and safe...ish when Im not.

Stevebt maybe you can tell me what is so attractive about diadora gear in grey?
Old 23 October 2010, 11:14 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by badboyz666
because if they didnt have bigger spaces which 1 of us would be crying like a baby when our 5 year olds open the door full whack into your prized scooby ..you or me???
Since my car is off the road its impossible getting my van parked in a normal bay so the disabled is perfect, when I get my car back I will get more disgusted looks pulling into a disabled bay in the impreza than I do in the van
Old 23 October 2010, 11:14 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mooburu
That is going to provoke an argument.

Anything that can survive 9months in the confinement of some ladies gash shows the sort of resourcefulness needed to join the SAS, being left to their own devices for a bit shouldn't be a worry.
Old 23 October 2010, 11:16 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

****** disabled bays.

If your proper disabled so that you can't see, can't carry a couple of carriers, can't walk more than 20yrds, then what the fukk are you doing driving!

Family bays, well, what the fukk do you want to drag under stroppy under 7 year olds and screaming babies around Tescos for any way!

Just think what a more pleasent experience the weekly shop would be with out all the electric buggys, wheel chairs and push chairs in the ****** way. Not to mention the kids!

They should ban Muslims to.
Old 23 October 2010, 11:17 PM
Lady Luck
Scooby Regular

I'm all for disable bays for genuine blue badge holders, but before the days of parent and child spaces and modern sliding doors / better ergonomics for getting kids out that back....

How did our parents manage 20yr ago getting kids out? They didnt need special nanny state spaces then, why do we need them now?
Old 23 October 2010, 11:24 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by b13bat

**** thats all we need suicide Ford Galaxy drivers.
Old 23 October 2010, 11:29 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

As two above, if there is a genuine need and the blue badge is used as it should there is no problem. Unfortunately I know too many people who abuse the system. One guy I know of is suppose to be so disabled he cant walk without a cane so he gets a free car with blue ticket and a very handsome benefit package. There is nothing wrong with him other than bone idolness and having a target to be overweight to aim for and maintain. He has since got married and his wife has 'become' disabled and so has his brother, all hobbling around with canes one minute, perfectly fine the next. Its a joke and hopefully something that will get sorted out soon.
Old 23 October 2010, 11:41 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Can't beat 'em, join 'em SRS.
Old 23 October 2010, 11:52 PM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SRSport
Could I get one? Am I disabled, I mean my knee aches occasionally and I have asthma.
Yeah, unfortunately moral integrity etc meant I was only joking and making a point rather than being serious.
Old 23 October 2010, 11:58 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

moral integrity? meh, i'll sell you mine for a tank of petrol.
Old 24 October 2010, 12:01 AM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

Deal!..what do I get exactly?
Old 24 October 2010, 12:12 AM
slipstream_uk
Scooby Regular

On the flip side, my father suffered a stroke nearly 2 months ago.
His left side of the body has been affected, trouble walking, holding things and speech.
Lost his job cause of it, HGV driver.

He was refused a blue badge and any help from the DWP,
it winds him up to no end that he has to watch a load of fat lazy ***** park in the disable bays.

Heres another one, a guy I used to work with had his blue badge taken off him.
They told him he wasnt disabled enough, the guy had only one leg.

When I done my back in way back at the start of the year, I was offered a blue badge.
I turned it down as I feel its an insult to the people that really need them.

It seems to me its a complete farse who gets these blue badges, lie and get everything.
Truly have disabilities and get shafted.

Last edited by slipstream_uk; 24 October 2010 at 12:30 AM.
Old 24 October 2010, 12:34 AM
SRSport
Scooby Regular

the laws in this country...
and Im sure made all the worse when oafs come on here with no shame thinking they're clever by spouting about how they abuse blue badges meant for their wives.
Old 24 October 2010, 12:36 AM
Lisawrx

Slipstream, that doesn't shock me sadly, as like benefits you find at times that certain people can play the system whilst the genuine needy get ****ed over. However, that doesn't make it right either to assume because someone is larger that they too don't have a genuine disability. Of course in some cases it will be as you say, but not all and it's unfair to generalise that much.

Also, more generally, disabilities come in various forms, it's not always a case of being (almost) unable to walk. Of course some people abuse this priviledge/lie and people may use the badges (if the disabled person isn't the driver) when they shouldn't and all that frustrates me as much as anyone else (as does claiming benefits unfairly), but it isn't right to judge, assuming someone is taking the proverbial when you simply don't know what the situation is.

Yet another SN judgemental thread.
Old 24 October 2010, 12:45 AM
Lisawrx

Originally Posted by SRSport
the laws in this country...
and Im sure made all the worse when oafs come on here with no shame thinking they're clever by spouting about how they abuse blue badges meant for their wives.
Woah, I know Steve pretty well and his good lady and I will put myself out by saying I think the point he is making is people judge based on him (the driver) getting out and all looking well (which it is in his case). People often jump on it being the driver that is disabled. Nowhere does he say he's using the van or car alone.

It's not my place to go into detail, but they are not **** taking people.
Old 24 October 2010, 12:49 AM
ScoobySteve69
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by b13bat
****** disabled bays.

If your proper disabled so that you can't see, can't carry a couple of carriers, can't walk more than 20yrds, then what the fukk are you doing driving!

Family bays, well, what the fukk do you want to drag under stroppy under 7 year olds and screaming babies around Tescos for any way!

Just think what a more pleasent experience the weekly shop would be with out all the electric buggys, wheel chairs and push chairs in the ****** way. Not to mention the kids!

+1
Old 24 October 2010, 12:56 AM
belliott69
Scooby Regular

we've got a neighbour who has a blue badge because he's asthmatic, apparently its severe. strange he goes out jogging twice a day and works on his car every weekend without getting too out of breath. it annoys me more as i've seen my brother when he was younger have to cope with severe asthma, ie nebulisar most days as he could hardly breathe but he manages to cope nowadays without the need for a badge.
Old 24 October 2010, 12:59 AM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

I've heard they have Muslim only bays in some parts of the UK now? They are extra wide so they can pray by the side of their car when needed. GC8 WRX told me so I'm presuming it's true. This country is going to the dogs....
Old 24 October 2010, 01:07 AM
Lisawrx

Originally Posted by ScoobySteve69
+1
FFS, to you and B13bat.

Firstly, that assumes the driver is the disabled person. But even if that is the case, cars can and are kitted out so disabled people can drive them (i.e. those missing limbs or the use of them) but whilst being perfectly capable of driving, they will struggle to get about 'on foot'. Struggling to walk a great distance doesn't really influence ones ability to drive.

I can't really comment on the sight thing as I'd assume if someone was blind they wouldn't be allowed to drive, but this goes back to the disability doesn't always belong to the driver.
Old 24 October 2010, 01:08 AM
DoZZa
Scooby Regular

What I dont understand is disabled people are always asking not to be treated different to those without a disability.

Yet they have disabled parking spaces, disabled toilets etc.

Contradictions, I think so!

I would of course not like to be disabled, but I think sometimes this is used to gain.

Quick Reply: Am I disabled?