Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Opinions on this customer service response (ODEON)

Search this Thread

Old 21 October 2010, 12:37 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Opinions on this customer service response (ODEON)

Is it just me, or does this email come across as a very "she is my mate, and she would never do that, so you are lying" ?

I made a complaint a few days back about the way I was spoken to by a member of staff, and after 4 days received this as a response to my concerns.

Thank you for your concern, which was received by myself, the duty manager on Saturday quite promptly following your arrival at, I assume the Gallery. Please accept my apologies for the delay in response. It has taken quite a considerable number of days to make clear the events of that evening.

Sarha, the lady you describe in your concern is in fact our Gallery supervisor. I immediately following receipt of your concern approached her, quite I must say surprised myself. Sarha is one of our longest serving employees and has always demonstrated a high level of guest service standard. She is responsible as well for training within our site. I thus investigated further as It always sits within the managerial team to look into any possible issues of discourtesy to our valued guests. At the moment of approach, Sarha had along her side the floor Team Leader and the Technical Manager, both from whom I have testimonies of a sober attitude, contrary to the description you gave. I did however give consideration to your concern and acknowledge the inconvenience of having to email us at that hour.

This altogether with my knowledge of business activity that night (business being relatively mild ) would lead me to the assumption that perhaps, as also suggested by my team there was a communication barrier. I am aware that the Team Member at the Guest Service point at the time was one of our newly appointed staff. Perhaps Sarha's firmness was directed at the Team Member who should have been checking all tickets at that stage, be they Gallery or Standard. This to which Sarha extends her apology as it quite evidently upset you. It was not her intention.

As an HR Manager myself, your concern does not merely rest here. With no intention to leave any room for poor guest service standards, I already have after thoroughly investigating the matter extended counselling and a refresher on our values at Odeon. We shall continue to raise our standards so that such occurrences do not happen again. We will endeavour to make your next visit a magical one.

Please accept my sincere apologies and be assured that your concern was received and dealt with courtesy and empathy.

Yours sincerely
To me, its a little badly written, and somewhat patronising.

My original email to them was a little hot headed but I felt fair (written and sent while waiting for the film to start lol)

I have tonight arrived at Greenwich to see a film at the Gallery, Mr Despicable at the 20.30 show.
Having been a patron of this establishment for a good few years now, I am quite familiar with the procedure of getting to the 4th floor etc.

Tonight on arrival, and seeing a long queue for the regular seating, but a number of staff towards the lift for the Gallery we walked past the ticket check-in (unchallenged) and offered the tickets to the staff towards the lift.
On arriving there we were greeted very rudely by the female member if staff who barked instruction that we should never pass the ticket check-in, and a whole load of other information. A simple "can you present your tickets over there" would have sufficed.
Had they not been standing there, we would of course have checked in with the other young lady.
I am left sitting in the waiting area for our film to be called now, in a foul mood, and disgusted at this behaviour.
I am pleased however say the girl working in the Gallery was delightful.
If this is how staff expect to be able to treat customers, I for one will certainly not be returning, and certainly not to pay such a premium, only to be treated so cheaply.

Regards
A very irate and £45 worse off for the pleasure of it... Michael Snasdell
Old 21 October 2010, 12:53 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

You jumped the queue, got caught then sent a badly written email to the management. No wonder you need medication if you're crying about that.
Old 21 October 2010, 12:56 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

If she was rude I'd grumble to myself and get on with , I wouldn't email a complaint
Old 21 October 2010, 12:57 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by antc
If she was rude I'd grumble to myself and get on with , I wouldn't email a complaint
lol then thats another difference between you and me
Old 21 October 2010, 12:58 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JackClark
You jumped the queue, got caught then sent a badly written email to the management. No wonder you need medication if you're crying about that.
lol for the first time in ages I clicked on "view post" as I was curious to see what crap you had spouted this time.
Same old Jack

medication? lol freak.
Old 21 October 2010, 01:06 PM
Herbie.
Scooby Regular

Kinda agree, looks like you tried to jump a queue.
Old 21 October 2010, 01:07 PM
+Doc+
Scooby Senior

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

So you didnt get the free tickets then?
Personally I found the reply to be well written.
Old 21 October 2010, 01:07 PM
+Doc+
Scooby Senior

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

So you didnt get the free tickets then?
Personally I found the reply to be well written.
Old 21 October 2010, 01:11 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

lol fair play, I will leave it there
Wrong again the story of my like
Old 21 October 2010, 01:12 PM
stef_2010
Scooby Regular

I used to work in customer service and I would have NEVER written a letter like that and then sent it out

I'd imagine I would have been in trouble
Ant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Snazy
lol then thats another difference between you and me
Not really I just don't write a complaint everytime someone is rude
stef_2010
Scooby Regular

thats the 1st time thats happened to me

Last edited by stef_2010; 21 October 2010 at 01:13 PM. Reason: double post
Old 21 October 2010, 01:17 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Not really I just don't write a complaint everytime someone is rude
What can I say, I had 10 mins to kill while munching popcorn
I dont complain every time, just when they get on my nerves, like she did.
I did email Kelly a complaint about you too, and got a much more polite reply

Originally Posted by stef_2010
I used to work in customer service and I would have NEVER written a letter like that and then sent it out

I'd imagine I would have been in trouble

I work in a customer service enviroment too, and guess I would get in trouble for it too.
Its nothing to do with freebies or anything, purely the "my mate" approach to the reply email.

Annnyway, as has been said, I clearly jumped the queue or something So its my own fault
Old 21 October 2010, 01:19 PM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

Another one for attempted queue jumper - poor show sending an email complaint about the staff, if you were that upset you shouldn't spoke to her there and then, skulking off and then emailing a complaint to her manager from the gallery doesn't seem right.
Old 21 October 2010, 01:24 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt
Another one for attempted queue jumper - poor show sending an email complaint about the staff, if you were that upset you shouldn't spoke to her there and then, skulking off and then emailing a complaint to her manager from the gallery doesn't seem right.
Just to clarify, the whole queue jumping thing. Its a confusing layout at the place, and Gallery customers usually have someone further up (where these people were standing) to check tickets, hence me approaching them in the first place

As for speaking to her there and then, yup I guess that would have been a better idea with hindsight, a lesson learned on my half. That said, I probably still sent an email anyway, thats just me
Old 21 October 2010, 01:28 PM
Fulmentaljack3t
Scooby Regular

I would forward it onto ODEON's head office.
Old 21 October 2010, 01:34 PM
Herbie.
Scooby Regular

Just to clarify, the whole queue jumping thing. Its a confusing layout at the place,
earlier you said...

Having been a patron of this establishment for a good few years now, I am quite familiar with the procedure of getting to the 4th floor etc
Old 21 October 2010, 01:43 PM
classic Subaru Si
Scooby Regular

So this girls had a roasting because you thought you could waltz in to the place waving your posh tickets about thinking you own the place - nice!
Old 21 October 2010, 01:46 PM
Camoscooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Herbie.
earlier you said...

I too was just about to comment on this

The reply Snazy recieved, to me, appears to be well written although perhaps slightly patronising. This is of course, my own opinion
Old 21 October 2010, 01:54 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

lol for the first time in ages I clicked on "view post" as I was curious to see what crap you had spouted this time.
Same old Jack

medication? lol freak.
More claptrap, there's no option to 'view post'. If you're not on medication, you need it.
Old 21 October 2010, 01:58 PM
Lisawrx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Out of curiosity, what sort of reply would you have preferred?

Regardless of what has actually happened behind closed doors, the letter leads you to believe the member of staff has been spoken to re your complaint. To be honest, if I was complaining about somebody, I'd prefer a response like the above than something that reads like an automated standard letter. It doesn't seem unreasonable for a manager to say they are shocked that a member of staff has acted out of character. However, if I was attempting to appease a customer I probably wouldn't have included the part about speaking to other staff and that they had a different account to you.
Old 21 October 2010, 01:59 PM
stef_2010
Scooby Regular

I dont know what form of English you all studied, but what part of this is well written ?

'Thank you for your concern, which was received by myself, the duty manager on Saturday quite promptly following your arrival at, I assume the Gallery. Please accept my apologies for the delay in response.'

It should read:

Thank you for contacting us

Please accept my apologies for the delay in response. I was very concerned to hear about the dissapointing level of customer service you recieved at the Gallery on Saturday evening.

I could do the rest but cant be bothered, also she really shouldnt mention about being a manager, you sign it as a manager at the bottom
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Herbie.
earlier you said...

Two different contexts mate. Its hard to explain why I was not jumping the queue, as the layout is hard to detail in words and make sense of.

However if you go somewhere regularly its not hard to get to grips with it.

In short, I was not saying I was lost and accidently jumped the queue, I was simply saying, its not as simple as walking up to a single person and one single queue

Originally Posted by classic Subaru Si
So this girls had a roasting because you thought you could waltz in to the place waving your posh tickets about thinking you own the place - nice!
lol @ thinking I own the place, far from it mate.
If you pay for a for premium check-in at the airport, would you queue with everyone flying economy if there was a dedicated premium check-in?
As for her having a roasting, clearly not, as the email says, she knows her well and she would not have done anything like that, aka, I didnt really ask much about it.
stef_2010
Scooby Regular

I dont know what form of English you all studied, but what part of this is well written ?

'Thank you for your concern, which was received by myself, the duty manager on Saturday quite promptly following your arrival at, I assume the Gallery. Please accept my apologies for the delay in response.'

It should read:

Please accept my apologies for the delay in response. I was very concerned to hear about the dissapointing level of customer service you recieved at the Gallery on Saturday evening.

I could do the rest but cant be bothered, also she really shouldnt mention about being a manager, you sign it as a manager at the bottom
Old 21 October 2010, 02:06 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lisawrx
Out of curiosity, what sort of reply would you have preferred?

Regardless of what has actually happened behind closed doors, the letter leads you to believe the member of staff has been spoken to re your complaint. To be honest, if I was complaining about somebody, I'd prefer a response like the above than something that reads like an automated standard letter. It doesn't seem unreasonable for a manager to say they are shocked that a member of staff has acted out of character. However, if I was attempting to appease a customer I probably wouldn't have included the part about speaking to other staff and that they had a different account to you.
To be honest Lisa, just a simple email to say my comments had been noted, the members of staff spoken to about it, and they would look into how to improve things to avoid any confusion in future. A few short lines, not an email telling me that what I say cant be true, because her mates said so.

I welcome comments that suggest such actions would have been out of character for her, but not ones that go on to call me a liar.

As for the reinforcement of the point that the others gave testimonies to support her.... wtf lol. Not needed, and unprofessional.

It should read:

Obviously someone understands the angle I am coming from on this one. There is a right and a wrong way to approach all situations, and on this occasion, regardless of the initial complaint, the format and attitude of the reply is unprofessional to say the least.

As some have said, there may be some indications that it is believed I was in the wrong. If that is the case, and their opinion, I accept that. However, from a customer service point of view, the tone of the email sucks
Old 21 October 2010, 02:11 PM
stef_2010
Scooby Regular

Obviously someone understands the angle I am coming from on this one. There is a right and a wrong way to approach all situations, and on this occasion, regardless of the initial complaint, the format and attitude of the reply is unprofessional to say the least.

As some have said, there may be some indications that it is believed I was in the wrong. If that is the case, and their opinion, I accept that. However, from a customer service point of view, the tone of the email sucks
Exactly,

Even if it didnt really happen and you made it all up, your the customer, you should be kept happy, therefore you are right !

TBH I would be more annoyed about the reply rather than any complaint made in the first place

I think the Odeon should look into template responses if that the level of grammer they expect from a customer service employee
Old 21 October 2010, 02:15 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Exactly,

Even if it didnt really happen and you made it all up, your the customer, you should be kept happy, therefore you are right !

TBH I would be more annoyed about the reply rather than any complaint made in the first place

I think the Odeon should look into template responses if that the level of grammer they expect from a customer service employee
correcting grammer . It's you're
Old 21 October 2010, 02:29 PM
markr1963
Scooby Regular

correcting grammer . It's you're
That'd be grammar, then
Old 21 October 2010, 02:36 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

The important question here is - was the film good?
Old 21 October 2010, 02:46 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by markr1963
That'd be grammar, then
didn't know that. It was clearly lost on you

Quick Reply: Opinions on this customer service response (ODEON)