Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Squatters

Search this Thread

Old 20 October 2010, 11:06 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Squatters

How come squatters seem to have more rights than the owner of the property? And the police cannot do anything to help? These squatter must have broken in before changing the locks. I mean who in their right mind would leave their home unlocked, breaking and entering is an offence and effectively they're stealing your home. In the mean time, whilst you're going through the legal system to get an eviction order, which can takes weeks and even months, they're using your electricity/gas, water furniture, electrical items etc and trashing your home. The owner can be subject to prosecution if they forcibly remove them, how wrong is this?!!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...dents-out.html
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standa...er-my-house.do
Old 20 October 2010, 11:23 PM
SteveScooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Breaking and entering" isn't an offence
Burglary is an offence, which in order to convict someone of you need to prove that they intend to or have stolen something while in there.

However I can't see any reason why the police can't enter and arrest on suspicion of burglary or criminal damage, even if no charges are brought at least it gets them out of the property.

Last edited by SteveScooby; 20 October 2010 at 11:30 PM.
Old 20 October 2010, 11:27 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

Question

Originally Posted by SteveScooby
B0ll0cks - surely?
Old 20 October 2010, 11:29 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Burglary
Old 20 October 2010, 11:29 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

b and e is an offence
Old 20 October 2010, 11:30 PM
SteveScooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jods
B0ll0cks - surely?
Breaking and entering is an American offence
Old 20 October 2010, 11:30 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

So - To steal a dog crap would be turd burglary?
Old 20 October 2010, 11:38 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

Actually - This reminds me of an American case (Possibly Urban Myth) where a ne'er do well gained entry into a property with the purpose of stealing. The family returned home and the burglar jumped out of an upstairs window onto a tree at the back of the property. Apparently the branch swung back a few times and his body passed through the open window back into the bedroom. He got X Years for the initial crime and then 3 times X - one for each swing back into the property. I HOPE it's true!!!
Old 20 October 2010, 11:39 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

that would be so funny if it were but i doubt it
Old 21 October 2010, 12:40 AM
BULLITT
Scooby Regular

I had heard of a similar urban myth from the states that a guy had broken into a house into and elderly woman's house the early hours to find that more occupants than he was expecting - the elderly woman's 3 sons, who were in fact still awake. I'm not sure on this but I had been told that in America they can legally shoot anyone that enters their home without their consent if it is self defence*. The would-be burglar escaped the house but was chased and caught by the 3 brothers who dragged him back into the house, shot him then rang the Police to report a burglary.

*I have a feeling there is more to it than that.
Old 21 October 2010, 12:43 AM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jonc
How come squatters seem to have more rights than the owner of the property? And the police cannot do anything to help? These squatter must have broken in before changing the locks. I mean who in their right mind would leave their home unlocked, breaking and entering is an offence and effectively they're stealing your home. In the mean time, whilst you're going through the legal system to get an eviction order, which can takes weeks and even months, they're using your electricity/gas, water furniture, electrical items etc and trashing your home. The owner can be subject to prosecution if they forcibly remove them, how wrong is this?!!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...dents-out.html
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/standa...er-my-house.do

Cricket bats, it's the only way.
Old 21 October 2010, 12:46 AM
BULLITT
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cookstar
Aye, I wouldn't even ring the Police, just get a load of mates round and smash my way in, cart em all off in a van and dump em in the middle of no where.
Old 21 October 2010, 09:20 AM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

The Police would certainly get involved if you mashed a cricket bat into the squatter's head and you'd be on the wrong end of the law. I can't begin to imagine what it would be like to come back from a holiday to find that your house is occupied by eastern block gypsies or other scumbags.
Old 21 October 2010, 11:03 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SteveScooby
Burglary is an offence, which in order to convict someone of you need to prove that they intend to or have stolen something while in there.

However I can't see any reason why the police can't enter and arrest on suspicion of burglary or criminal damage, even if no charges are brought at least it gets them out of the property.
Have you not noticed that the PC Plonkers hide behind the semantics and nasty little get out clauses to support such people in their criminal activities?

They will regard squatters as people who because of their poor status deserve to be allowed to break into peoples' homes, change the locks and sell off or use the owner's equipment and to trash the place completely because none of it is really their fault and therefore they should be supported entirely in their endeavour!

When it comes to the real owner who has worked and paid taxes thus supporting the economy, then he deserves what he gets because it is not fair they say that he should enjoy the fruits of his labours while the squatter class who do nothing to help the country or themselves in an honest manner must be aided in their efforts to steal it all from the rightful owner!

If there are any PC Plonkers reading this, I would be really grateful if you could justify your way of thinking and your actions or non actions. I include the "forces of law" when I ask that question!

Les
Old 21 October 2010, 11:28 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PC rights nonsense.

Seems you've gotta deal with it yourself, so surprise attack is the only answer.

A friend of mine had an "incident" a year or so ago
Someone was breaking into his garage (car maintenance/repair business) and stealing things

So, one night he got his mate to lock up the place with him still inside and low and behold they turned up

Basically he knocked the shyte out of the two of them pretty badly.
Dragged them out, opened the gates and left them on the street
He did hwoever ring the police and said about a fight and that two guys seemed to be hurt.

He has never been broken into since
Old 21 October 2010, 11:30 AM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hutton_d
Just make trespass a criminal offence and it would sort it out. No invite to your property, then out on your ear (obviously exceptions for the postman/visitors/etc would exist as far as walking up the drive and knocking on the door!). Even if you'd left your door wide open if a *visitor* walks through without permission then they're commiting an offence. Simples.

Dave
Which is how the 'travelling community' get away with it. Needs to be criminal immediately.

I do remember seeing something about reporting them for theft if there is power on because they are not paying for the electricity. While the cops take them away to 'investigate' you have about an hour to get in, change locks etc.

5t.
Old 21 October 2010, 11:47 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

I don't quite understand the lock thing. Most locks are insecure at best.

So if I come home, find the key doesn't work, break in then find people in my house arn't they in fact on my property? Or in this twisted world have I commited an offence to break into my own house?

Steve
Old 21 October 2010, 12:05 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Yes of course!

Les
Old 21 October 2010, 12:13 PM
Puff The Magic Wagon!
Support Scoobynet!

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Some people I knew "started" a new squat in a house they had been looking at empty for months.

(To do this they broke the lock, left it for a couple of days, then came back and entered/occupied - this was in order that they could "claim" the house was already open and that they then "legally" squatted it)

The night following their moving in, they were awoken by a group of large men wearing hoods and given 5 minutes to vacate the premises. This was in Holland Park, one of London's more affluent areas...
Old 21 October 2010, 12:23 PM
Jamie
Super Muppet

http://www.virginmedia.com/homefamil...-squatters.php

Not a bad place
Old 21 October 2010, 04:06 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Think of the Council Tax though!

Les
Old 21 October 2010, 09:07 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

I don't know how many times I've posted this now, but wait for the squatters to be using electricity to boil a kettle/watch Jeremy Kyle etc and the old bill can nick them for abstracting electricity. Once the squatters are on the way to the cells, re-occupy the place. Easy.
Old 21 October 2010, 09:14 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Is it illigal to block of the central heating flue on a house you own?
Old 21 October 2010, 09:20 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Criminal damage to your own property? Nope. You can damage/destroy your own property legally (if shared property make sure the others agree).

Although if you want to bock it to harm someone you could find yourself looking at other charges.
Old 22 October 2010, 01:49 PM
SteveScooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hutton_d
Just make trespass a criminal offence and it would sort it out. Simples.

Dave
So everytime you park on private land without permission, or use someone's drive to turn around on you get arrested?
Old 22 October 2010, 04:19 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

The whole business is quite contrary to natural law. Can't believe the thinking from the coppers and the judiciary.

Les
Old 22 October 2010, 04:30 PM
Ian
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cookstar

as above, this is the only way these people know, they hade behind all the paper work and get away with it.

re enter your home any way you chose, then use said item above to repay justice on those who should not be there.

the uk is getting year by year toooo soft and needs a good kick in the butt to sort things out imho
Old 22 October 2010, 04:37 PM
Dunk
Scooby Regular

I'd send my kids in through the cat flap and seal it, give the squatters 48 hours and they'll be as eager to leave as the Chilean miners.

D

Quick Reply: Squatters