Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Why is this Country obsessed with snooping!!

Search this Thread

Old 19 October 2010, 03:50 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Why is this Country obsessed with snooping!!

Driving from work today, off Team Valley. Got to the roundabout and noticed a camera, virtually looking into the windows of the car. I was tempted to give it the as a few others did. It didn't look like a speed camera, so no idea why it was there.
Further up on the A1, on the overhead bridge more cameras. One for each lane.
Cameras on the motorway services.
Virtually home and the preverbial "van" watching out.
Then gets home to find, *** neighbour has cameras all over his Travel Lodge of a barn conversion. One even looks as though it is taking in the back of my property. I might take advice on this one.
It seems everywhere you turn, you are being watched
Old 19 October 2010, 03:52 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

I think they are road tax revenue protection cameras.
Old 19 October 2010, 03:54 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Originally Posted by Trout
Are they??? Honestly, it was really creepy seeing one virtually level with the windscreen and peering in.
Old 19 October 2010, 04:55 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Trout
ANPR is a mass surveillance system, it is not specifically designed to catch untaxed cars.

Do you even have any evidence it is cost effective at catching untaxed cars?
Old 19 October 2010, 05:04 PM
Jamie
Super Muppet

I blame Charlie Brown/Gordon pain in the **** if you are legitimate.
Old 19 October 2010, 05:11 PM
r32
Scooby Regular

The one pointing to your property is not on is it?
Let me, us know what a brief says.
Old 19 October 2010, 05:16 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's probably pointed at your Shed ... there's been some rumblings going on in that area apparently ......
Old 19 October 2010, 05:20 PM
cster
Scooby Regular

Maybe English people like being watched - does seem a bit odd to me, but there you go.
Old 19 October 2010, 07:30 PM
PaulC72
Scooby Regular

Lee the one facing your garden is probably to catch your topless sun bathing antics...the others I have not got a clue ;-)
Old 19 October 2010, 08:44 PM
super_ted
Scooby Regular

I do also wonder why we need so many cameras everywhere but then i reasure myself that as long as i'm doing nowt wrong, then no need to worry really, is there??
Old 19 October 2010, 09:28 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lee247
Driving from work today, off Team Valley. Got to the roundabout and noticed a camera, virtually looking into the windows of the car. I was tempted to give it the as a few others did. It didn't look like a speed camera, so no idea why it was there.
Then gets home to find, *** neighbour has cameras all over his Travel Lodge of a barn conversion. One even looks as though it is taking in the back of my property. I might take advice on this one.
Nothing wrong with snooping.

I'm looking at you through your curtains now...........

Just move your leg to the side a bit..........

Bingo, there's my money shot.

Same time tomorrow?
Old 19 October 2010, 09:42 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

You're caught on camera 300 times per day on average

TX.
Old 20 October 2010, 12:25 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by tony de wonderful
ANPR is a mass surveillance system, it is not specifically designed to catch untaxed cars.

Do you even have any evidence it is cost effective at catching untaxed cars?
I'm all for ANPR cameras, with the lack of active policing these days, there are far too many ******* driving road untaxed/uninsured/no MOT.

Problem is, as you say, the cost of impounding, crushing and taking the driver to court costs far more money than what the average law abiding motorist's taxes can cover.

Plus it doesn't solve the issue of pikeys of no fixed abode. Although the local plod were rounding up the the transit pickups going to the local scrap metal dealers. Which is about time as they are being a right pain in the **** at the momet...driving 5mph everywhere with a tannoy/loud hailer playing a tape on a infinite loop shouting "Aye Urn, eny ol aye urrrn or aluminioorm or wat ya wunt tay coorn" whilst at the same time, some scoat in the passenger seat eyes up vulnerable property that may provide rich/easy pickings

There is no way they can make a legit earning as the cost of running the van alone would outweigh the amount of metal they collect. If I knew where they were locked up at night, I'd torch every single last one of them - that way it would be alot cheaper to the tax payer in the long run.

Last edited by ALi-B; 20 October 2010 at 12:27 AM.
Old 20 October 2010, 07:13 AM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by ALi-B
I'm all for ANPR cameras, with the lack of active policing these days, there are far too many ******* driving road untaxed/uninsured/no MOT.
The trouble is, without the ANPR being installing in an "active" traffic police car yer typical ******* will continue to roam free (in their un-registered, un-roadworthy "disposable" wrecks).

Meanwhile the (relatively) honest, law abiding citizen will be snooped on, monitored, recorded, measured, catalogued, have their vehicular movements archived and potentially prosecuted for up to two years after some alleged incident (thanks Staffs ).

mb
Old 20 October 2010, 08:52 AM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Well, I am off down the A19 today. Wonder how many I will spot on there.
They must know more about my comings and goings than I do
Old 20 October 2010, 09:00 AM
speye91
Scooby Regular

www.lee247.cam
Old 20 October 2010, 09:02 AM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Originally Posted by speye91

Shaddap, you
Old 20 October 2010, 09:52 AM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Problem is, as you say, the cost of impounding, crushing and taking the driver to court costs far more money than what the average law abiding motorist's taxes can cover.

Plus it doesn't solve the issue of pikeys of no fixed abode. Although the local plod were rounding up the the transit pickups going to the local scrap metal dealers. Which is about time as they are being a right pain in the **** at the momet...driving 5mph everywhere with a tannoy/loud hailer playing a tape on a infinite loop shouting "Aye Urn, eny ol aye urrrn or aluminioorm or wat ya wunt tay coorn" whilst at the same time, some scoat in the passenger seat eyes up vulnerable property that may provide rich/easy pickings

There is no way they can make a legit earning as the cost of running the van alone would outweigh the amount of metal they collect. If I knew where they were locked up at night, I'd torch every single last one of them - that way it would be alot cheaper to the tax payer in the long run.
Sure but it's the surveillance aspect which bother me, the data gets stored in a central database, so the police can in effect track you in real-time or map your historical movements, all this with no judicial oversight, and no need for due process. It's like the police tapping everyones phones.
Old 20 October 2010, 10:11 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

If your day to day activities are all above board and so long as the police use it to detect and track possible or suspected illegal activity, it doesn't bother me one iota.

What does bother me is if this data is passed or sold on to other government agencies, quangos or private companies to use for other means, like direct marketing, or to assess the feasibility of pay per mile road taxation etc.

For example; I've got mailshots from companies where I know the only way they have got my address details and know the type of accomodation I live is is via the local council selling my details. I dion't mind the council having such data, like knowing how much rates I pay etc, but selling that information on is a different ball game.
Old 20 October 2010, 10:09 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Exclamation

Ordering Pizza in the Future

mb
Old 21 October 2010, 08:58 AM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Originally Posted by boomer

I can well believe it. Deep Pan pepperoni, Madam. And what size knickers do you wear
Old 21 October 2010, 09:16 AM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

If your day to day activities are all above board and so long as the police use it to detect and track possible or suspected illegal activity, it doesn't bother me one iota.

What does bother me is if this data is passed or sold on to other government agencies, quangos or private companies to use for other means, like direct marketing, or to assess the feasibility of pay per mile road taxation etc.

For example; I've got mailshots from companies where I know the only way they have got my address details and know the type of accomodation I live is is via the local council selling my details. I dion't mind the council having such data, like knowing how much rates I pay etc, but selling that information on is a different ball game.
It's no necessarily above board though, they don't need to suspect you of anything, they don't need permission from a judge to surveil you.

This from wiki, an example of ANPR abuse:

John Catt, an 80 year old pensioner at the time and his daughter Linda (with no criminal record between them) - were stopped in 2005, had their vehicle searched under section 44 of the Terrorism Act 2000 by City of London Police and were threatened with arrest if they refused to answer police questions. After making formal police complaints, it was discovered they were stopped after their vehicle had been picked up by roadside ANPR CCTV cameras, after a marker had been placed against their vehicle in the Police National Computer database as a result of them being spotted near EDO MBM demonstrations in Brighton. Critics of police state policies highlight the fact that John and Linda Catt had been suspected of no crime, however using mass surveillance infrastructure they were targeted due to their associations.[9]
The idea is you restrain police powers not just based on how police may act when they are good men, but worse case scenarios when the police are corrupt or politically biased. If all police were good we could give them unlimited powers and it would be ok right? Unfortunately sometimes bad men get in power.

Last edited by tony de wonderful; 21 October 2010 at 09:28 AM.
Old 21 October 2010, 11:27 AM
cster
Scooby Regular

The idea is you restrain police powers not just based on how police may act when they are good men, but worse case scenarios when the police are corrupt or politically biased. If all police were good we could give them unlimited powers and it would be ok right? Unfortunately sometimes bad men get in power.
Well that is of course the whole point.
It is just a shame that people just seem too thick to understand this.
You would think that even the the most basic understanding of the goings on in Germany before and after WW2 would cause concern among those with a modicum of intelligence.
Maybe the teaching of Modern European History is not what it should be in schools these days.
Old 21 October 2010, 12:00 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lee247
All to do with the policies of the last lot of wassocks who were running the country.

It is part of a successful repressive government to have as much personal information on its people as possible. They want to know where you go and what you are doing at all times. They see that kind of knowledge as part of absolute power over the people. They, like the old Soviet government would eventually have laid great store on snooping by neighbours etc. to get even more information. Local councils have already tried this.

You are right to feel uneasy about it Lee.

Les
Old 21 October 2010, 12:21 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
All to do with the policies of the last lot of wassocks who were running the country.

It is part of a successful repressive government to have as much personal information on its people as possible. They want to know where you go and what you are doing at all times. They see that kind of knowledge as part of absolute power over the people. They, like the old Soviet government would eventually have laid great store on snooping by neighbours etc. to get even more information. Local councils have already tried this.

You are right to feel uneasy about it Lee.

Les
True but I don't believe the objective of the Police and Gov is to be oppressive in this country, just this is what happens to any organisation when unrestrained. It grows and seeks to empower itself...empire building...whatever, people make careers out of justifying the growth, of getting more money in etc. It's what any bureaucracy does; seeks to grow.

Then when bad people get power they have an instrument that is ready-made to oppress.
Old 21 October 2010, 12:38 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

It's no necessarily above board though, they don't need to suspect you of anything, they don't need permission from a judge to surveil you.

This from wiki, an example of ANPR abuse:

There is a slight problem with that quoted story; its source and wikipedia - if you look at where the article originated, its via an anarchist biased website, obviously the wiki contributor has interesting political idealogies OK, joking aside, I found the same article elsewhere, but knowing how the media copy and pastes everything to get a story, its hard to say where it originated and the accuracy of the circumstances.

But lets just assume it happened, we however can't analyse that story any further, other than the ANPR put a marker on their car, and consquentally it was stopped a period after by the Police.

Now there are a few points that should happen:

a) A police officer with common sense would quickly realise this is an error.

b) Police officers should use their own discretion and common sense when using data from the system - i.e to assess other indicators that would pose the vehicle to be dodgy. And not to fully rely on what the computer says. For example, insurance: in the knowledge of how incompeteant the insurance industry can be. In my case they entered my reg number wrong and I didn't know until they finally sent the policy documents and certificate (three weeks). The sysetm is only as good as those who enter data upon it. And officers should know due to that it is not accurate or to be relied upon without corroboratory evidence.

c) Any incorrect information, when found should be corrected immediately upon realisation.

In light of this, there are two outcomes: An officer with common sense would quickly realise the information on the ANPR is wrong, and then conduct/end his enquiry in the according manner with minimal harm or fuss.

Obviously, a failure of the system is a brainwashed imbecile police officer treating it as 100% accurate evidence and then treating unsuspecting innocent members of the public like terrorists, handcuffing a 80yr old with his face on the pavement whilst barking the terrorist act at the detainee like the officer was Judge Dredd.

You see. Its not the ANPR at fault, nor the database in which it is stored. Its the persons using it who interprets and maintains the information. And that is down to training and monitoring of standard.

Last edited by ALi-B; 21 October 2010 at 12:42 PM.
Old 21 October 2010, 12:43 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

You see. Its not the ANPR at fault, nor the database in which it is stored. Its the persons using it who interprets and maintains the information. And that is down to training and monitoring of standard.
Exactly and you can't rely upon Police officers all being unbiased and 'good'...a system which relies upon that IS flawed so the current implementation of ANPR IS flawed.

It may work with say judicial oversight. If the Cops want to track/surveille you they need a warrant for example.
Old 21 October 2010, 12:56 PM
Terminator X
Owner of SNet

ANPR is hardly used though is it ... funds don't allow it & I guess there will be less of it during reign of current Govt re dwindling funds. See, it's not all bad news

TX.
Old 21 October 2010, 01:25 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Terminator X
ANPR is hardly used though is it ... funds don't allow it & I guess there will be less of it during reign of current Govt re dwindling funds. See, it's not all bad news

TX.
See my earlier post about Staffordshire police!

The force's webpages on ANPR refer to it as a "fast growing technology" which the force uses to its "full potential... at local, regional and national levels together with other agencies".
mb
Old 21 October 2010, 03:09 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

True but I don't believe the objective of the Police and Gov is to be oppressive in this country, just this is what happens to any organisation when unrestrained. It grows and seeks to empower itself...empire building...whatever, people make careers out of justifying the growth, of getting more money in etc. It's what any bureaucracy does; seeks to grow.

Then when bad people get power they have an instrument that is ready-made to oppress.
Bit early to say that yet TDW. I sincerely hope that you are right, but I meant the previous government which I would not trust as far as I can spit where that question is concerned.

I believe that they were putting into place all the items that they needed to run an oppressive government against the day when they had sufficient power to do just that. I just hope that our present leaders don't fall into that way of thinking. Politicians love the thought of absolute power!

Les

Quick Reply: Why is this Country obsessed with snooping!!