Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

IT career change and MCSE books?

Search this Thread

Old 18 October 2010, 03:46 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default IT career change and MCSE books?

I'm looking at changing my career to I.T been advised to get a MCSE before applying for any job?

Or is there a different/better route to take?

But my main question is can i get hold of the MCSE books in ebook form? Prefer free
Old 18 October 2010, 03:50 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

LLoyds TSB are making 4500 IT staff redundant. Back of the queue is that way ---->
Old 18 October 2010, 04:01 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

I don't know if it has changed, but to be able to get that cert, you need a few years in the industry anyway.
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by what would scooby do
LLoyds TSB are making 4500 IT staff redundant. Back of the queue is that way ---->

That'll be through attrition, a recruitment moratorium and TUPE into services providers.

antc - best of luck with your choice but consider that you're trying to break into a highly competitive market which has an abundance of skilled, qualified and experienced people both onshore and offshore (at a snip of the price) I said on another thread - see if you can find an employer that is willing to pay for your training. Look around, MSCE is just one family of qualifications - there are an abundance of different IT qualifications available so consider which area you want to break into. I would say something generic would be of more use than a Microsoft specific qualification.
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

yep youre too late, by about 10 years....
Old 18 October 2010, 04:02 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

What sector of IT are you looking at, the range is vast.
Old 18 October 2010, 04:03 PM
ScoobLou
Scooby Regular

Do your A+ Certification.
Old 18 October 2010, 04:12 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by warrenm2
yep youre too late, by about 10 years....
I was only 14 so might of been difficult.
Old 18 October 2010, 04:15 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

I was looking into the network/server side of things
Old 18 October 2010, 06:26 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

Thats what I do and I would say wages have been cut by about 40%, and they all want people with loads of experience or an IT degree
Old 18 October 2010, 06:43 PM
dazdavies
Scooby Regular

Received 82 Likes on 46 Posts

The bubble has burst IT wise. All this **** you see on TV about starting salary of £30k is complete bollocks. As said before it was ok ten years ago but these days tis crap.

I got made redundant in Feb and still havent found work despite having 12 years solid experience some of that in senior tech positions with a couple of the worlds biggest companies.

The problem with the IT sector is the ar*eholes in the recruitment agencies as the only way into the jobs is via those clowns.

Take a recent application I made for a job I could do with my eyes closed. I was doing the job 10 years ago and have since gone on to have bigger and better experience with larger companies. The idiot recruiting emailed me back saying I didnt have the relavent experience and I wasnr what they were looking for. You're lucky if you get a response to your application never mind an interview. Most replies you get are the generic sorry but because of the high demand in our vacancies we are unable to respond to every appilaction if you havent heard from us in two weeks consider your application unsucccesful.

The one interview I did secure was against 194 applicants for the same job. I got down to the final 2 only to be knocked back because of the distance i'd of had to travel.

Every interview apart from that one i'be had in the last 5 years I've got the job. Like I said the problem is getting past the numpty up themselves recruitment consultants.
Old 18 October 2010, 06:47 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dazdavies
The bubble has burst IT wise. All this **** you see on TV about starting salary of £30k is complete bollocks. As said before it was ok ten years ago but these days tis crap.

I got made redundant in Feb and still havent found work despite having 12 years solid experience some of that in senior tech positions with a couple of the worlds biggest companies.

The problem with the IT sector is the ar*eholes in the recruitment agencies as the only way into the jobs is via those clowns.

Take a recent application I made for a job I could do with my eyes closed. I was doing the job 10 years ago and have since gone on to have bigger and better experience with larger companies. The idiot recruiting emailed me back saying I didnt have the relavent experience and I wasnr what they were looking for. You're lucky if you get a response to your application never mind an interview. Most replies you get are the generic sorry but because of the high demand in our vacancies we are unable to respond to every appilaction if you havent heard from us in two weeks consider your application unsucccesful.

The one interview I did secure was against 194 applicants for the same job. I got down to the final 2 only to be knocked back because of the distance i'd of had to travel.

Every interview apart from that one i'be had in the last 5 years I've got the job. Like I said the problem is getting past the numpty up themselves recruitment consultants.
Yep, totally agree, hence I went into IT sales instead
Old 18 October 2010, 06:51 PM
KAS35RSTI
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

If you want a career in IT i would advice you to do the A+ before next year as it wont ever expire if you do it before the deadline. This certification is like the entry level. Also what sort of field do you want to get into? as the IT industry has many fields! CCNA is also a good certification if you have a interest in netowrking & it is highly recognised.

I myself done the MCDST after finishing my computing degree & to be honest the degree was a waste of time.

P.S beware of many scammers who say you can do MCSE in 1 week & take your money.
Old 18 October 2010, 07:53 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Aladdin
CCNA is also a good certification if you have a interest in netowrking & it is highly recognised.
Again, 5 years ago this would've helped a lot, but not anymore. I work in networking (mainly Cisco, but also HP and others) and there's a hell of a lot of people out there if you're new to the industry. Bizarrely at my firm we also seem to take on a lot of people from pakistan when employing for junior roles too which won't help UK applicants either.

I would suggest if you do want to break into IT then experience will be the key, so rather than applying for half decent roles for a year and getting nowhere, take something pretty sh1te (maybe low paid, shift hours, field based etc) just to rack up some experience, then after a year or so start aiming a bit higher. But IT is not the gold-mine it used to be and the vast majority of jobs are fairly low paid for very boring work.
Old 18 October 2010, 08:11 PM
KAS35RSTI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Petem95
Again, 5 years ago this would've helped a lot, but not anymore. I work in networking (mainly Cisco, but also HP and others) and there's a hell of a lot of people out there if you're new to the industry. Bizarrely at my firm we also seem to take on a lot of people from pakistan when employing for junior roles too which won't help UK applicants either.

I would suggest if you do want to break into IT then experience will be the key, so rather than applying for half decent roles for a year and getting nowhere, take something pretty sh1te (maybe low paid, shift hours, field based etc) just to rack up some experience, then after a year or so start aiming a bit higher. But IT is not the gold-mine it used to be and the vast majority of jobs are fairly low paid for very boring work.
Thats true aswell but its always a different story for each individual. I got into IT 2 years ago with no previous experience at all & thats working for the NHS. However it does also depend in what area you are in for example London has more oppurtunities compared to up north etc. But ye IT is not the gold mine it use to be. The more people i speak to about getting jobs in IT the more i hear about people finding it difficult in regards to finding a job.

I still think the OP has chosen the right field compared to others. Minimum pay in a 1st line support job which would be considered ok would be no less than £17k depending on the area.

The other option would be to join a forum regarding certifications & see what feedback you get & what direction they point you in.

Last edited by KAS35RSTI; 18 October 2010 at 08:12 PM.
Old 18 October 2010, 08:42 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all your advice
Old 18 October 2010, 08:50 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

if you want ebooks etc get use bit torrents -- lots of resources online

also whatever you do -- get the basics right, i.e. politeness, enthusiasm, punctuality, attendance

because 85% can’t get those right -- if you do you can earn a pretty good living in IT
Old 18 October 2010, 09:16 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

is this what i need?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/CompTIA-Cert...7432914&sr=8-1
Old 18 October 2010, 09:28 PM
KAS35RSTI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by antc
If your doing self learning then yes that is good. You have to arrange your own exams. Cant remember the name but there is a very useful forum, let me see if i can look it up.
Old 18 October 2010, 09:31 PM
KAS35RSTI
Scooby Regular

Here you go: http://www.certforums.co.uk/

Very useful & some friendly people on there. Hope this helps
Old 18 October 2010, 09:31 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Aladdin
If your doing self learning then yes that is good. You have to arrange your own exams. Cant remember the name but there is a very useful forum, let me see if i can look it up.
Thanks
Old 19 October 2010, 07:43 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by antc
Thanks
if you are serious create an account at www.prometric.com or http://www.vue.com/ -- you need it so that they can schedule your tests

also you can find out where your nearest testing centre is

but in essence you tell these guys (either one really I have always used prometric) what exam you want to do and where you want to do it - then pay them, they will schedule the test at your designated test centre

then you turn up - do the test, and in most cases get the result immediately

Last edited by hodgy0_2; 19 October 2010 at 07:51 AM.
Old 19 October 2010, 08:33 AM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Thanks I'll check them sites out later
Old 19 October 2010, 11:43 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by **************
Check out Test King
Now you see - this is exacly why all the microsoft's exam qualifications are a complete load of old shyte.

Experience foremost is what counts for me when someone's applying for a job.
Not the fact that they've got a dozen microsoft qualifications through cheating.
Old 19 October 2010, 01:39 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I fully agree. We've have rejected many candidates where the their CV's are littered with MCP's, MCSE's especially but have little or no experience. A simple verbal or written technical tests shows this clearly where you can see the candidates thought process are completely different to someone who has experience. The plethora of bootcamps and brain dump "training" material as totally devalued the status of these qualifcations as these sort of courses only shows you how to pass an exam. You can have all the qualifications in the world but it counts for squat if you don't have the experience. Don't assume you'll automatically get a highly skilled and paid job once you get these qualifications, those days are long gone. No employer in their right mind would let you loose on an enterprise network/server environment without experience.

My advice is, that if you want to get into IT, the easiest route would be through a IT call center, there at least you'll get basic training, stick with it for a year or so and if an opening come up for a back office role take it or move on to another company, perhaps an IT outsourcing company. There you'll be placed in environments where you might never get into if you tried to apply directly. We, for example, have outsourced some parts of our IT doing basic PC builds and swapouts, and whilst their experience is a bit lacking, they are exposed to technology in an enterprise environment. It's not a quick process, but it is a chance for easy progression into IT.
Old 19 October 2010, 01:41 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Thanks great advice
Old 19 October 2010, 02:26 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jonc
I fully agree. We've have rejected many candidates where the their CV's are littered with MCP's, MCSE's especially but have little or no experience. A simple verbal or written technical tests shows this clearly where you can see the candidates thought process are completely different to someone who has experience. The plethora of bootcamps and brain dump "training" material as totally devalued the status of these qualifcations as these sort of courses only shows you how to pass an exam. You can have all the qualifications in the world but it counts for squat if you don't have the experience. Don't assume you'll automatically get a highly skilled and paid job once you get these qualifications, those days are long gone. No employer in their right mind would let you loose on an enterprise network/server environment without experience.

My advice is, that if you want to get into IT, the easiest route would be through a IT call center, there at least you'll get basic training, stick with it for a year or so and if an opening come up for a back office role take it or move on to another company, perhaps an IT outsourcing company. There you'll be placed in environments where you might never get into if you tried to apply directly. We, for example, have outsourced some parts of our IT doing basic PC builds and swapouts, and whilst their experience is a bit lacking, they are exposed to technology in an enterprise environment. It's not a quick process, but it is a chance for easy progression into IT.

But its worse than that.
You don't even need to attend the course - you just buy a copy of the questions and answers and cheat
At least on a boot camp you'd be learning something
Microsoft know this too, yet they continue with this farcical accreditation scheme
Stupid ******* yanks!
Old 19 October 2010, 02:34 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
if you are serious create an account at www.prometric.com or http://www.vue.com/ -- you need it so that they can schedule your tests

also you can find out where your nearest testing centre is

but in essence you tell these guys (either one really I have always used prometric) what exam you want to do and where you want to do it - then pay them, they will schedule the test at your designated test centre

then you turn up - do the test, and in most cases get the result immediately

thanks I'm going to go through the PearsonVue one , the test center is only 30min drive away
going to order my ,self-learn book tonight.

I did a practice test earlier and got 65/80 so hopefully once i get the book i should nail it.

Quick Reply: IT career change and MCSE books?