Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Bribing addicts to get the snip

Search this Thread

Old 18 October 2010, 08:46 AM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bribing addicts to get the snip

Drug addicts across the UK are being offered money to be sterilised by an American charity.

Project Prevention is offering to pay £200 to any drug user in London, Glasgow, Bristol, Leicester and parts of Wales who agrees to be operated on.

The first person in the UK to accept the cash is drug addict "John" from Leicester who says he "should never be a father".

The move has been criticised by some drug charities who work with addicts.

Project Prevention founder Barbara Harris admitted her methods amounted to "bribery", but said it was the only way to stop babies being physically and mentally damaged by drugs during pregnancy.

Drug treatment charity Addaction estimates one million children in the UK are living with parents who abuse drugs.

Pregnant addicts can pass on the dependency to the unborn child, leading to organ and brain damage.

Mrs Harris set up her charity in North Carolina after adopting the children of a crack addict.

Damage to children

Speaking to the BBC's Inside Out programme, she said: "The birth mother of my children obviously dabbled in all drugs and alcohol - she literally had a baby every year for eight years.

"I get very angry about the damage that drugs do to these children."

After paying 3,500 addicts across the United States not to have children, she is now visiting parts of the UK blighted by drugs to encourage users to undergo "long-term birth control" for cash.

John, a 38-year-old addict from Leicester, is the first person in the UK to accept money to have a vasectomy after being involved in drugs since he was 12.

He said: "It was something that I'd been thinking about for a long time.

"I won't be able to support a kid; I can just about manage to support myself."

Simon Antrobus, chief executive of Addaction, said while no-one wanted to see children brought up in a drug-using environment, there was no place for Project Prevention in the UK.

"It exploits very vulnerable people who are addicted to drugs and alcohol at probably the lowest point in their lives," he said.

The Reverend Robert Black, of Victory Outreach, which works with former addicts in east London, said he thought Project Prevention's aims were "very devious".

Reversible contraception

Maria Cripps, project manager at the Hackney Dovetail Centre which works with drug users and their carers, said: "I think Barbara uses some very extreme examples to get her point across. It might work in America but Great Britain is a very different country."

But Reverend Martin Blakebrough, director of Camden's Kaleidoscope Project in north London, said sterilisation was "worth considering" if it was right for the individual.

A spokesperson at the British Medical Association said: "The BMA's ethics committee does not have a view on the charity Project Prevention.

"As with all requests for treatment, doctors need to be confident that the individual has the capacity to make the specific decision at the time the decision is required.

"The BMA's ethics committee also believes that doctors should inform patients of the benefits of reversible contraception so that the patients have more reproductive choices in the future."

Its a win /lose scenario, great they not produce kids and sponge the benefits. But they're given £200 to buy more crack
Old 18 October 2010, 09:00 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

£200 won't buy much crack.

I think it's a great idea .... roll it out on the Council estates too - offer them a free visit to Jeremy Kyle and snip them there.
Old 18 October 2010, 10:23 AM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Just seen them talk about this on the Wright Stuff, and they seemed to be worried about the exploitation of vulnerable people.

I'd have to agree with the woman offering the money. Its a cracking idea (pun intended). These people are drug addicts who take all sorts of crap, might as well give them some cash and ensure they don't bring life into their world.

If they get themselves cleaned up, and get a job, then they can pay to have the treatment reversed.

I'm not against these people, they are adults and can make a choice. Its the kids they produce who have had no choice, and hardly get a good start to life. Arriving into the world addicted to drugs is a horrible way to start a life.
Old 18 October 2010, 10:24 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

^^^^^^^^^^^^Agree with the two comments above^^^^^^^
Old 18 October 2010, 10:30 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Pity it is so difficult to cure them though.

Les
Old 18 October 2010, 10:33 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
Pity it is so difficult to cure them though.

Les
Nit difficult to cure them Les, they choose to stay on drugs, they choose this lifestyle in 99% of cases. It is a lifestyle choice. They get benefits and housing and are able to maintain the life and drug abuse at a cost to everybody.

It is not an illness it is not a sickness. It is a choice!
Old 18 October 2010, 10:35 AM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Sounds a bit like a **** selective breeding program to me
Old 18 October 2010, 10:36 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

am i the only one who has no sympthay at all for them? vulnerable people? there the ones who starting shoving the crap in there arms or up there noses in the first place.
Old 18 October 2010, 10:40 AM
ReallyReallyGoodMeat
Scooby Regular

Next stop, ugly people!
Old 18 October 2010, 10:48 AM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by ReallyReallyGoodMeat
Next stop, ugly people!
...via smokers, people who drink alcohol, take one aspirin too many

People who don't know the difference between their and there

christian charity that's promoting this by the way

Last edited by what would scooby do; 18 October 2010 at 10:49 AM.
Old 18 October 2010, 11:04 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Next stop... dole scroungers?
Old 18 October 2010, 11:12 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood
Nit difficult to cure them Les, they choose to stay on drugs, they choose this lifestyle in 99% of cases. It is a lifestyle choice. They get benefits and housing and are able to maintain the life and drug abuse at a cost to everybody.

It is not an illness it is not a sickness. It is a choice!
Yes I know Paul, that was more or less what I meant. All sense of responsibility seems to be disappearing fast. The state will do it all for you now!

Les
Old 18 October 2010, 12:33 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Cool

Originally Posted by Andy Tang

Old 18 October 2010, 12:53 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hitler would approve. Seems like a half baked idea to me.

Old 18 October 2010, 01:27 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

Dunno what the problem is? Its all voluntary....
Old 18 October 2010, 01:31 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ReallyReallyGoodMeat
Next stop, ugly people!
Nope - obese fat *******

Give them £200 to eat less
Old 18 October 2010, 01:35 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy Tang

Why not go whole hog? Anyone claiming benefits must be sterilised to qualify.
Old 18 October 2010, 01:53 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Bring back the gas chambers, anyone that smokes a bit of weed or drinks over 14 units of alcohol a week dies.
Old 18 October 2010, 01:56 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Think of the child benefit savings.
Old 18 October 2010, 02:16 PM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

A friend of mine is a recovering heroin addict. I knew him as a kid and lost contact 20 years ago only to make contact again last year. His story is harrowing - being abused as a kid and by a school teacher at that, to having problems with his mother (mental health issues) threatening him with a knife. He's lived his life to the full, working as a chef (Michelin starred at that) and being an adreninin junkie on the piste then sliding the slope through hash, coke to heroin. He's been clean for two years now and is slowly getting his life back on track, so I disagree with most of what's written here as my mate would/will make an excellent father.
Old 18 October 2010, 02:26 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gpssti4
A friend of mine is a recovering heroin addict. I knew him as a kid and lost contact 20 years ago only to make contact again last year. His story is harrowing - being abused as a kid and by a school teacher at that, to having problems with his mother (mental health issues) threatening him with a knife. He's lived his life to the full, working as a chef (Michelin starred at that) and being an adreninin junkie on the piste then sliding the slope through hash, coke to heroin. He's been clean for two years now and is slowly getting his life back on track, so I disagree with most of what's written here as my mate would/will make an excellent father.
Well done to him. But majority of addicts don't want to recover and when they try they fail
Old 18 October 2010, 02:35 PM
mamoon2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by antc
Its a win /lose scenario, great they not produce kids and sponge the benefits. But they're given £200 to buy more crack
Thats £200 that they don't have a steal
Old 18 October 2010, 02:45 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mamoon2
Thats £200 that they don't have a steal
Or ***** themselves for
Old 18 October 2010, 02:46 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by antc
Well done to him. But majority of addicts don't want to recover and when they try they fail
This.

A friend and his wife were both on smack. They discovered she was pregnant and stopped there and then - they were split up from each other for 6 months by the parents and got clean. They now have 3 altogether and are delightful parents.

However, they are in the minority. If this stops addicts getting each other pregnant and causing untold damage to themselves and their children then its nothing but a good idea.

And this business about where will it end - don't be so silly. You'll be wanting to snip ginger haired kids next!
Old 18 October 2010, 02:53 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nothing wrong with it in my opinion. Free choice, personal responsibility and all that...
Old 18 October 2010, 04:31 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Originally Posted by GlesgaKiss
Nothing wrong with it in my opinion. Free choice, personal responsibility and all that...
I'm not sure about it. At the time, when they are most needy, £200 will sound like a lot.
What happens if they clean up their act,and some do, and then they realise they would have loved to have children.
I think they need loads of counselling before they make any hasty decisions.
Old 18 October 2010, 04:37 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Lee247
I'm not sure about it. At the time, when they are most needy, £200 will sound like a lot.
What happens if they clean up their act,and some do, and then they realise they would have loved to have children.
I think they need loads of counselling before they make any hasty decisions.
Without meaning to be mean to these people - tough ****.

If they are really clean enough to survive on their own and be able to deal with a child then look into having it reversed - if possible.

My wife has a cousin thats on smack, has been for years. All 3 of her kids are looked after by her mother - she can't deal with them. All 3 kids are very weird - the two boys in particular are almost ferral in their behaviour.

Its not as if you can't have it done anyway - I think for a man you have to be over 30 to have it done on the NHS so its not like its new - just the bribe to save some children years of misery.
Old 18 October 2010, 05:17 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Get rid of fat, ugly people????
That's a bit unfair!
For me, anyway!
Old 18 October 2010, 06:47 PM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Does this also apply to all those middle-class women addicted to benzodiazapines? Far more of them than heroin addicts. What about the hundreds, if not thousands, of doctors addicted to various prescription and otherwise drugs, up to and including diamorphine? Or, as I suspect, is it only aimed at plebs?

M
Old 18 October 2010, 08:46 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

I'd offer them the greatest hit of their lives followed by a bullet to the back of the head. The only good druggy is a dead one imo.

Quick Reply: Bribing addicts to get the snip