Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Aaaaarrgh! Good Samaritan drivers!

Search this Thread

Old 14 October 2010, 04:16 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Aaaaarrgh! Good Samaritan drivers!

Are they the most dangerous drivers out there? You know the ones. They stop in flowing trafic to let someone out of a side road? Yep, those ones.

Well today, I reckon I've seen it all.

A woman, (it WOULD be wouldn't it, being as THEY are usually the ones that DON'T let you out of a junction in queueing traffic), driving a people carrier, (of course, what else?), suddenlt decides to stop ON A ROUNDABOUT, to let her mate out in front of her.

I was within a gnat's of being into the back of her.

The only thing that stopped me was that I'm NOT a woman, so wasn't following too close Or putting on lipstick. Or eating an apple. Or phoning the kids. Etc, etc, etc.
Old 14 October 2010, 04:20 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by alcazar
Are they the most dangerous drivers out there? You know the ones. They stop in flowing trafic to let someone out of a side road? Yep, those ones.

Well today, I reckon I've seen it all.

A woman, (it WOULD be wouldn't it, being as THEY are usually the ones that DON'T let you out of a junction in queueing traffic), driving a people carrier, (of course, what else?), suddenlt decides to stop ON A ROUNDABOUT, to let her mate out in front of her.

I was within a gnat's of being into the back of her.

The only thing that stopped me was that I'm NOT a woman, so wasn't following too close Or putting on lipstick. Or eating an apple. Or phoning the kids. Etc, etc, etc.

Amen to that brother

I mentioned on another thread that women drivers are as bad as male drivers in the sense that they always drive too close, seem to be carrying out other chores ignoring the quite important thing of actually driving, have no awareness of their surroundings and always drive far far to hesitantly, especially on roundabouts, going around corners and other junctions.
Old 14 October 2010, 05:22 PM
Lydia72
Scooby Regular

I'm with you on the Good Samaritan drivers but what bugs me more is if they stop to let someone out and there isn't a flow of traffic.
ie I'm the only car behind them so it doesn't make much difference to the person being let out if they had to wait another two seconds for us to pass.
Not that I notice that sort of thing when choosing to be courteous to other drivers, being a woman and all....
Old 14 October 2010, 05:24 PM
Anger
Scooby Regular

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts

When people are in a rush and all over my back bumper... i slow and let everyone out
Old 14 October 2010, 05:25 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

Nothing like a bit of generalisation to skew an argument.

I've seen some terrible driving over the last couple of days, including today a bloke who was so old he probably shouldn't have been driving.

So I guess we're about even. Bad driving of any sex, any age, anywhere. It's actually getting worse and it's the slow drivers which cause more problems IMO.
Old 14 October 2010, 05:25 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

Nothing like a bit of generalisation to skew an argument.

I've seen some terrible driving over the last couple of days, including today a bloke who was so old he probably shouldn't have been driving.

So I guess we're about even. Bad driving of any sex, any age, anywhere. It's actually getting worse and it's the slow drivers which cause more problems IMO.
Old 14 October 2010, 05:31 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Anger
When people are in a rush and all over my back bumper... i slow and let everyone out
And me
Old 14 October 2010, 05:31 PM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think it's generally accepted that in regards of bad driving, it's men who are worst when it comes speed and women are worst in everything else.
Old 14 October 2010, 05:33 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

Bloke I saw today had a speed problem - too fecking slow! Indicated way too long before crawling along almost to a stop before turning.
Old 14 October 2010, 05:43 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Acknowledge every other driver is a half wit is my advice
Old 14 October 2010, 06:48 PM
bish667
Scooby Regular

just try telling the slow drivers that their causing problems and they will be completely oblivious to the dangers and start raving about people driving too fast etc
I've given up on being nice and just give slow/non signalling people the finger on the way past, male or female
Old 14 October 2010, 07:19 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Clarebabes
Bloke I saw today had a speed problem - too fecking slow! Indicated way too long before crawling along almost to a stop before turning.
Old peeps are on another level altogether. I once watched a guy trying to drive the wrong way round a roundabout, towards a police car, didn't matter what the coppers did, the old codger still tried to get past them

I'm also a fan of the "**** you very much" approach that bish667 has
Old 14 October 2010, 08:30 PM
Fabioso
Scooby Regular

I witnessed someone today causing mayhem and havoc driving on the 1st lane of the motorway at 20 mph in the rush hour with their hazards on.

**** knows why he had the hazards on becos I couldn't see anything wrong with his car. The driver was old and had that vacant stare in his face *you know the type"....... anyway he managed to cause a problem for about 3 miles, as people had to move out to avoid him as we were averaging about 60 at the time........................and were braking to look at why he was behaving in this way

Last edited by Fabioso; 14 October 2010 at 08:31 PM.
Old 14 October 2010, 08:39 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hutton_d
Oh yes. The 'lets get in the right hand lane two miles before the roundabout' brigade. When there's nowt else on the road - except me wanting to overtake at well below the legal limit. Another aarrggghhhhhhhhh ..........

Dave
People do this all the time now on the A45 round Northampton. Does my head in! I just undertake them
Old 14 October 2010, 08:49 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by hutton_d
Oh yes. The 'lets get in the right hand lane two miles before the roundabout' brigade. When there's nowt else on the road - except me wanting to overtake at well below the legal limit. Another aarrggghhhhhhhhh ..........

Dave
Yup, get that every night on the home commute. Except its 60 or less in a 70 for 3 miles. Quick check of the mirror for suspicious looking vehicles behind and then pass them carefully on the left. I dont GAF if its wrong, I have to put up with this every single night aaaaarrrggghhh!
Old 15 October 2010, 05:33 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

If the traffic is moving fairly normally on the main road I would agree with the view that it is unnecessarily dangerous.

If there is slow traffic on the main road, stop/start sort of thing then I think it is only fair to let the traffic on the side road out on a "one for one" basis.

Les