Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Kitchen Appliances

Search this Thread

Old 11 October 2010, 12:06 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kitchen Appliances

Designing the new kitchen, kind of settled on Bosch appliances but would be interested in other opinions...

Not really interested in the budget brands (Hotpoint, Candy, Whirlpool, etc.). Looked at Miele stuff, nice and I'm sure it's worth it but twice the price of anyone else

Who else should I be considering - Siemens, Neff, etc.?

So what have you got, are you happy with it, recommend it etc.

In the market for a 90cm gas hob, extractor fan, a big electric oven, a compact electric oven, plate warmer, integrated dishwasher & American style fridge / freezer. So not a small spend

Also the small oven may be a combination with microwave function, anyone any experience of those good or bad?

Thanks
Old 11 October 2010, 01:10 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by hutton_d
Why the h3ll did I click on a thread entitled 'Kitchen Appliances' ...

Dave
Because there may be pictures of women ?

*runs for the hills*
Old 11 October 2010, 01:21 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Our Neff oven is OK, as is the hob.

Extractor is by Zanussi, VERY powerful compared to others which were dearer.

Dishwasher is AEG and pretty good, Washer, Bosch, just bought it and it seems pretty good.

Fridges are built in. By Electrolux, I think.
Old 11 October 2010, 02:09 PM
ChefDude
Scooby Regular

we have miele dishwasher, washing machine and tumble dryer. seems a little odd spending a grand on a tumble dryer, but it works really well.

bosch gas hob (with a wok ring in the middle) and electric oven

neff american fridge freezer - didn't really want to spend over £1500 for this, otherwise we'd have got a 4K maytag.

miele rules though!
Old 11 October 2010, 04:17 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All Siemens stuff. Miele stuff was just too expensive for out budget. Had it all fitted about 4 years ago and still very happy with it.

I would suggest get two full sized ovens and a separate microwave. At times like Christmas and parties it's a life saver.

We also got an American style fridge freezer which was Siemens and cost about £1800 at the time. Works well and must say makes the kitchen look really nice.

Where are you going to buy the cabinets from?
Old 11 October 2010, 04:44 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dingdongler
All Siemens stuff. Miele stuff was just too expensive for out budget. Had it all fitted about 4 years ago and still very happy with it.

I would suggest get two full sized ovens and a separate microwave. At times like Christmas and parties it's a life saver.

We also got an American style fridge freezer which was Siemens and cost about £1800 at the time. Works well and must say makes the kitchen look really nice.

Where are you going to buy the cabinets from?
Thanks for that, need to look at the Siemens stuff in a bit more detail. Two full sized ovens could be an option. Likewise with the fridge freezer, the best looking / feature filled ones seem to be Samsung but then you read a lot of stuff on the 'net about how unreliable they are.

The cabinets are coming from Magnet as our builder deals with their trade side and speaks highly of their stuff. Hence we want to get this kitchen to be spot on as we've had a room purpose built to house it! Unfortunately on the appliance side of things Magnet seem a bit limited. That said the cabinets seem to have a number of limitations too
Old 11 October 2010, 04:46 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Something else to add, quite keen on the ovens to have pyrolytic cleaning. Is this worth it / does what it says on the tin?
Old 11 October 2010, 05:10 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

As mentioned I would defo recommend two full ovens. Everybody who comes around always says they wish they had done that.

When we looked at Samsung's at the time the Siemens were much better put together and they looked better too.

Our ovens have the pyrolytic function but I've never used it. Wifey probably has though!

I'm not sure what sort of deal you are getting with the Magnet stuff but when I looked at them they weren't cheap. For about the same price as they were charging we got a German kitchen made by a company called Hacker/Systemat. The quality of these units was head and shoulders above the Magnet stuff.

http://www.haecker-kuechen.com/

(Go to modern designs under products and ours is the high gloss magnolia 4010)

Ours was a part high gloss, but it's covered in layers and layers of the stuff. Not like the cheap gloss rubbish you see at Ikea where you can see the imperfections. The doors are so heavy/solid it's difficult to even pick a small one up. The mechanisms are also very heavy duty, industrial almost in nature.

It only cost about 10% more than the Magnet would have but is 100% better imho. However if you are getting some sort of cheap deal on the Magnet then that might change the situation for you.

Last edited by Dingdongler; 11 October 2010 at 05:14 PM.
Old 11 October 2010, 06:43 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Bosch = Siemens = Neff - they are all one of the same, just with a different facia and price tag; Bosch usually can be found cheaper (use google shopping and enter the model number)

Meile fridge/freezers are made Liebherr, both are pricey.

Whirpool are OK imo; our last dishwasher was a Whirlpool. Sold it on when we had a new kitchen (replaced it with a posh Bosch built in).

Samsung; dubious. Looks good, quality not so sure. Our new Samsung fridge freezer is the noisiest fridge we've ever had, and its not a base model. On the other hand Our Samsung combi microwave is fine, but it is huge, so looking to swap it for a normal smaller microwave.

Certainly look at ovens with at the very least catalytic liners; our old oven was catalytic, And the next one had to be catalytic as there is much less to clean. Pyrolytic maybe worth looking at but I've yet to try one.
Old 11 October 2010, 08:32 PM
MMT WRX
Scooby Regular

We did our kitchen a couple of years ago and had all Rangemaster stuff.
Rangemaster Elan dual fuel cooker, hood, American fridge freezer all in black, sink, taps and pans.
We've been very pleased with it, no problems and looks really good. My Mrs loves cooking and doing dinner party's so she picked it all.

Last edited by MMT WRX; 11 October 2010 at 08:34 PM.
Old 11 October 2010, 11:54 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

We've got an Elan; one of the only ranges you can get that has catalytic liners and a proper multi-function main oven. You wouldn't belive how many range cookers I had to look at until I found one with them fitted - seeing it was a mandatory stipulation. We're never going back to plain enamal unless its pyrolytic.

Their cooker hoods are made by Luxair. Was pretty noisy until I knocked a bigger hole through the wall and fitted a 150mm rigid tube duct (the kicthen fitter put in a 125mm flexi-tube duct).

Not sure who makes their fridges though.

We've had a problem with the cooker; the outer pan supports don't match the colour of the inner one; one always seems to be a a slightly greyer shade of black. We're on our third attempt now, will pick them up tomorrow, so fingers crossed they've actually checked the colour match of all the pan supports before posting them this time. Not what you'd expect of a £1600 cooker. But at least the customer supoort is pretty good, albeit colour blind

Last edited by ALi-B; 12 October 2010 at 12:07 AM.
Old 12 October 2010, 12:11 AM
scoobyschef
Scooby Regular

http://www.rangemaster.co.uk/range-cooking.aspx
Old 12 October 2010, 12:09 PM
RAJ27
Scooby Regular

We have Smeg applicances apart from the fridge/freezer and all good so far.

Personally a fan of Bosch.....probably not as solid as a Miele, but very very reliable.
Old 12 October 2010, 08:13 PM
michaelro
Scooby Regular

Bosch or Siemens

Bosch come with 2yr Guarantee as standard, Siemens usually 5yrs (John Lewis)

No issues with any of mine in 5 years

Miele are very good but I'd rather buy one at half the price which is almost as good.
Old 12 October 2010, 08:21 PM
The Trooper 1815
18 June 1815 - Waterloo

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Coffin Dodger
Designing the new kitchen, kind of settled on Bosch appliances but would be interested in other opinions...

Not really interested in the budget brands (Hotpoint, Candy, Whirlpool, etc.). Looked at Miele stuff, nice and I'm sure it's worth it but twice the price of anyone else

Who else should I be considering - Siemens, Neff, etc.?

So what have you got, are you happy with it, recommend it etc.

In the market for a 90cm gas hob, extractor fan, a big electric oven, a compact electric oven, plate warmer, integrated dishwasher & American style fridge / freezer. So not a small spend

Also the small oven may be a combination with microwave function, anyone any experience of those good or bad?

Thanks
Try a website called Kitchen Science. They do some good deals. Get the prices then go to a discount code site for the same web site and get even more knocked off
Old 12 October 2010, 11:29 PM
daddyscoob
Scooby Regular

We did a self build and this xmas will be our 2nd year in. I went for Neff ovens a Neff induction hob - love it big time - Bosh dishwasher and Whirlpool yankee style fridge freezer.

No problems to report with any of the stuff.

PS did run a self build thread in DIY..... long ago though.....
Old 13 October 2010, 09:28 AM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Best value has got to be Siemens/Bosch. I've had them for years and they keep on ticking.