Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Final Salary Pensions-any IFA here?

Search this Thread

Old 08 October 2010, 10:11 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Final Salary Pensions-any IFA here?

Not sure if anyone here knows about these things .....

ASDA has just announced the closing of its Final salary Scheme. They are moving their staff to another (cheaper) scheme [clearly a worse scheme than the old scheme] and paying them a quarter of their annual salary as a lump sum .... I assume as some way of compensation - which, to my mind, is a pathetic amount.

Anyway - my pension is one of the last Final Salary Schemes still running ... it stands a good chance of closing.

Now, my thinking is that what I have accrued as of the date of closure should be safe - and be paid out as the terms were when the contributions were built up - and starting the alternative scheme is just that 'starting a new scheme' the old being fixed in stone?

The ASDA thing is now concerning me ..... would I lose what I have built up by moving to another (worse) scheme? Taking on the terms of the new scheme - even for my current built up sum?

Not sure if I have made myself clear .... any IFA's on the site?
Old 08 October 2010, 10:16 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
Not sure if anyone here knows about these things .....

ASDA has just announced the closing of its Final salary Scheme. They are moving their staff to another (cheaper) scheme [clearly a worse scheme than the old scheme] and paying them a quarter of their annual salary as a lump sum .... I assume as some way of compensation - which, to my mind, is a pathetic amount.

Anyway - my pension is one of the last Final Salary Schemes still running ... it stands a good chance of closing.

Now, my thinking is that what I have accrued as of the date of closure should be safe - and be paid out as the terms were when the contributions were built up - and starting the alternative scheme is just that 'starting a new scheme' the old being fixed in stone?

The ASDA thing is now concerning me ..... would I lose what I have built up by moving to another (worse) scheme? Taking on the terms of the new scheme - even for my current built up sum?

Not sure if I have made myself clear .... any IFA's on the site?

Crystal clear. You fecking work for Asda!
Old 08 October 2010, 10:23 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dingdongler
Crystal clear. You fecking work for Asda!
On the checkouts..
Old 08 October 2010, 10:31 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Another epic pedro fail

according to ramblings of lewis circa 2006, you state your allready retired,

and acting as a consultant.

so if your allready retired pedro, and drawing your pension, what are you rambling on about..

onset of dementia is it?

Mart
Old 08 October 2010, 11:07 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ah !!

The Public sector (some jobs) are having a Pensions "choice" at the moment.........I missed out by not being 50 in October 2009.

This puts Pissy at 51-53 ish years of age and working for someone like the UKAEA / AWE at Aldermasten....or an NHS cleaner

Shaun
Old 08 October 2010, 11:13 PM
thesyn
Scooby Regular

You might be correct, perhaps PSL occasionally gives out more information than he intends to.
Old 08 October 2010, 11:39 PM
Dunk
Scooby Regular

Normal practice is to ring fence existing entitlements and for any changes to not be retrospective, unless the scheme isn't fully funded.
The historic contributions will be under the ownership of the pension trustees with the fund (hopefully) sufficient to meet its obligations. The employer can then change future entitlements and flex contributions to the scheme based on any changes, hence what's been paid into the scheme isn't under the employers control.
(Unless you're in the public sector, in which case your part of the biggest ponzi scheme going )

D
Old 09 October 2010, 12:17 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

We have not got an ASDA near us. Did not know that they dealt in nuclear missiles!

Les
Old 09 October 2010, 12:20 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
We have not got an ASDA near us. Did not know that they dealt in nuclear missiles!

Les
They're in aisle 10 Les by the Liquorice torpedoes.

Chip
Old 09 October 2010, 12:25 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Pete,

You will keep any benefits accrued before a new scheme starts as far as I know.

chip
Old 09 October 2010, 12:28 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dunk
Normal practice is to ring fence existing entitlements and for any changes to not be retrospective, unless the scheme isn't fully funded.
The historic contributions will be under the ownership of the pension trustees with the fund (hopefully) sufficient to meet its obligations. The employer can then change future entitlements and flex contributions to the scheme based on any changes, hence what's been paid into the scheme isn't under the employers control.
(Unless you're in the public sector, in which case your part of the biggest ponzi scheme going )

D
Not in the Public Sector and don't work for ASDA either

For the benefit of Mart360 above - you do not have to collect your pension when entitled to ..... not collecting a Pension gives no indication of age whatsoever.

ASDA is paying its existing staff 1/4 a years salary - in compensation I guess ... I was concerned that compensation may have been for rights accrued to be given up. But, thinking about it now, it may just be compensation for what they are about to lose in the future?

I need to know if I should collect my Pension now, thus grabbing it while it's good ... or leave it still longer to grow bigger?
Old 09 October 2010, 12:41 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Pete,

Its 3800 managers whose pension will be affected and not those on the shop floor.

Asda closed their final salary scheme to most employees 5 years ago.

Chip
Old 09 October 2010, 12:42 PM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

Old 09 October 2010, 01:28 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chip
They're in aisle 10 Les by the Liquorice torpedoes.

Chip
I must have missed them Chip, did not expect to see them in the sweets department!

Its almost amusing to see PSL trying his best to be serious

Les
Old 09 October 2010, 02:03 PM
ScoobySteve69
Scooby Regular

I work for Cadburys....well, Kraft now and they`ve just tried to blackmail us out of the Final Salary Pension. Basically if we stay in (which I did) then we don`t get a rise for 3 years...or so ! If we opt out, our contribution increases 1% a year for the next 4 years, increasing the pension contribution to 9%!! BTW, I didn`t stay in cos I`m a financial genius, I stayed in cos I couldn`t decide what to do and missed the deadline.......................................... ..........TWICE
Old 09 October 2010, 05:27 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chip
Pete,

Its 3800 managers whose pension will be affected and not those on the shop floor.

Asda closed their final salary scheme to most employees 5 years ago.

Chip
Cheers mate, appreciate your input
Old 09 October 2010, 05:31 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobySteve69
I work for Cadburys....well, Kraft now and they`ve just tried to blackmail us out of the Final Salary Pension. Basically if we stay in (which I did) then we don`t get a rise for 3 years...or so ! If we opt out, our contribution increases 1% a year for the next 4 years, increasing the pension contribution to 9%!! BTW, I didn`t stay in cos I`m a financial genius, I stayed in cos I couldn`t decide what to do and missed the deadline.......................................... ..........TWICE
We went through this about 5 years ago .... the Pension pot was in dire straits.

The agreement then was to try to save the Pension ... the Employees would rack up their contributions each year for 4 years until we are paying 7.5% into it (it was previously a non-contributory scheme [which was what I signed up for many decades previously]).

It would seem that the money the Employees have paid in may have only staved off the end .... it's the greedy Investment Bankers who wreck it - charging £millions to Invest and lose money!!!!!
Old 09 October 2010, 05:33 PM
chris84
Scooby Regular

pension what's one of them
Old 09 October 2010, 06:38 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
Cheers mate, appreciate your input
Hey no problem old boy , always willing to help a fellow Tory out

Chip
Old 09 October 2010, 07:15 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chris84
pension what's one of them
Old 09 October 2010, 07:50 PM
Disco Boy 2
Scooby Regular

There is an intrinsic problem with final salary schemes in that following the tax changes in the late 90's pension returns are not what they used to be, and we are all living longer. The long and the short of it is that the schemes are just too risky and expensive for most employers to run.