Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Banking Doommongers - We're Doomed, We're Doomed!

Search this Thread

Old 06 October 2010, 09:19 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Banking Doommongers - We're Doomed, We're Doomed!

The International Monetary Fund has just released an analysis that global banks need to refinance $4,000,000,000,000 over the next two years with many national economies (Ireland, Spain, Greece, etc) having no hope of being able to withstand such additional financial pressure.

The UK banks alone need to raise around a third of this.

Mind you this is the same IMF that gave mortgage securitisation its gold seal of approval in 2006 - mortgage securitisation being one of the single biggest drivers of the financial crisis.

Have they learned their lesson or is this just wild doomongering!!

They comment that with Basel III there is increased capital requirements for all banks - they talk about this bringing increased pressure - but omit to state that UK banks capital holdings already exceed the new limits by some margin!!

We're doomed I say
Old 06 October 2010, 10:16 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Should i take all my money out ,straight away ?
Old 06 October 2010, 10:21 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

I would - I would put it in a shoe box (several if you are rich) and bury it in the garden!

The one thing the IMF do not point out is the level of refinancing that is the norm.
Old 06 October 2010, 10:22 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hutton_d
The banks are raking it in. Borrowing from central banks at 0.5% (max - less in the US) and buying government bonds which give many times that figure in return. For just being able to ....... And still they complain ....

Dave
Where are the banks complaining?
Old 06 October 2010, 10:23 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Also - borrowing from the Central Bank is a VERY BAD THING for a bank. Even the suggestion that Northern Rock wanted support from the BoE led to the collapse of that bank.
Old 06 October 2010, 10:50 AM
r32
Scooby Regular

My question is do the banks have this money to loan? Or is it all paper figures? Which could end in disaster.
Old 06 October 2010, 10:52 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Trout
Also - borrowing from the Central Bank is a VERY BAD THING for a bank. Even the suggestion that Northern Rock wanted support from the BoE led to the collapse of that bank.
but you accept hutton_d's point

the banks are "shooting fish in a barrel"
Old 06 October 2010, 10:53 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

It has been paper figures for the last two hundred years!

The vast majority of 'money' in the economy has been a number in a ledger (or database nowadays) for a very long time!
Old 06 October 2010, 10:53 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Trout
I would put it in a shoe box
Its how the fair ground gypsies used to do it. A mate used to work for a firm building fair ground rides and the rides were always paid for in cash - absolutely sh1tloads of cash in shoe boxes.

I knew the banks were still fragile but didn't realise they'd need more funding. Investments have done really well over the last 18 months so I assumed that the banks would also be benefiting from this. Also, with the difference between base rate and what the banks lend to us I would have thought this would also help them - I assumed it was a driving force forthe BoE to keep rates low so the banks can rake it on the difference.

If they dish out bonuses then need more funding i truly hope we brits finally call time and stop rolling over.
Old 06 October 2010, 10:54 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
but you accept hutton_d's point

the banks are "shooting fish in a barrel"
I don't understand the complaining point which he was emphasising!

And I am not sure I really agree about shooting fish in a barrel either!
Old 06 October 2010, 11:02 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EddScott
Its how the fair ground gypsies used to do it. A mate used to work for a firm building fair ground rides and the rides were always paid for in cash - absolutely sh1tloads of cash in shoe boxes.

I knew the banks were still fragile but didn't realise they'd need more funding. Investments have done really well over the last 18 months so I assumed that the banks would also be benefiting from this. Also, with the difference between base rate and what the banks lend to us I would have thought this would also help them - I assumed it was a driving force forthe BoE to keep rates low so the banks can rake it on the difference.

If they dish out bonuses then need more funding i truly hope we brits finally call time and stop rolling over.
Banks always finance with each other - it is partly how the market works, a bit like bookies spreading their bets around.

What the IMF does not really pick up is how much of the refinancing is at normal levels and how much is abnormal.

The credit crunch happened because banks got nervous and stopped lending to each other - a bit like musical chairs - and when the music stopped there were quite a few less chairs!

The question they are really asking is whether there are enough chairs in place - the market recovery would seem to point in that direction. Current market conditions are controlled to enable banks to rebuild capital positions but this is a fraction of the level of refinancing in the interbank credit markets.
Old 06 October 2010, 11:33 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

this is a true story re bankers

The parents of a very good friend mine were having a dinner party – amongst the guest were the parents of Chris Martin (from coldplay)

Soon the conversation reached offspring and what the various couple’s children did for a living

Chris Martin parents, when their turn came, said that they have 3 children, a daughter in PR and son in investment banking and the middle son was an international pop star

A short pause – and one old duffer leaned forward and asked – “what bank does you son work for again”
Old 06 October 2010, 02:54 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Old 06 October 2010, 04:56 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hutton_d
The banks are raking it in. Borrowing from central banks at 0.5% (max - less in the US) and buying government bonds which give many times that figure in return. For just being able to ....... And still they complain ....

Dave
Doesn't that depend on the government remaining able to pay back the interest?

Les
Old 07 October 2010, 04:29 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

It will be from Peter I imagine!

Les