Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

UK bank bonuses 'to top £7bn this year'

Search this Thread

Old 05 October 2010, 01:03 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry UK bank bonuses 'to top £7bn this year'

Nearly £7bn is expected to be paid out to bankers in City bonuses this year.

The Centre for Economics and Business Research (CEBR) said the level of bonus payments was now similar to pre-financial crisis levels.

Well, that's OK then isn't it?

Of course, the Bankers are also Tories and Tory supporters .... so, instead of dragging their noses out of the trough - the Tories will be stealing from the poor and elderly.

This is what you voted for!! Don't say I didn't warn you!!
Old 05 October 2010, 01:07 PM
GC8WRX
Scooby Regular

Location: Wanting the English to come first in England for a change!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not much to do today?
Old 05 October 2010, 01:40 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Pete, sometimes you really do fail at trolling
Old 05 October 2010, 01:47 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by pslewis

The Centre for Economics and Business Research (CEBR) said the level of bonus payments was now similar to pre-financial crisis levels.

Of course, the Bankers are also Tories and Tory supporters .... so, instead of dragging their noses out of the trough - the Tories will be stealing from the poor and elderly.

It's amusing, keep it up

The tories have always done this because they are our betters and really are entitled to do as they wish.

Those union grease monkeys known as Labour just copied them and made a ***** up of it.
Old 05 October 2010, 01:50 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pete has a point though, the bankers (aka those who dropped us all in the sh1te) are still raking it in even though it was "our" money that got them out of it, and they are back to earning stupid ammounts again whilst the rest of us have to tighten our belts
Time for a BIG tax on bonuses and "gifts"

Tony
Old 05 October 2010, 01:54 PM
GC8WRX
Scooby Regular

i kmnow he has but its on the news, in the papers, a conversation piece at work, its everywhere ffs.

I come on here to escape the monotony of the working week and its on here too

aaarrgghhh!
Old 05 October 2010, 01:55 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

£3bn or so of that will go on income tax anyway
Old 05 October 2010, 01:57 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Red face

Originally Posted by SJ_Skyline
£3bn or so of that will go on income tax anyway
Do you think so? remember these are bankers the money will be put into bonds or the likes, off shored, anything to reduce the ammount of tax, I'd be looking at 500million or less in tax rather than 3bn.

Tony
Old 05 October 2010, 01:58 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

However don't forget the UK treasury now own a large percentage of some of those banks so if they're suddenly do well again and making a profit then it's more cash to help bail us out of the mess the previous lot got us into.

If it is necessary to provide incentives to those individuals who are going to turn the banks around successfully then so be it. Although not quite on the same scale as the city bankers our company provides performance related bonuses and we'll work out ***** off to try to achieve those goals. Good to have something to keep you on your toes.
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

You didn't warn us! It's all your fault!
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

However don't forget the UK treasury now own a large percentage of some of those banks so if they're suddenly do well again and making a profit then it's more cash to help bail us out of the mess the previous lot got us into.

If it is necessary to provide incentives to those individuals who are going to turn the banks around successfully then so be it. Although not quite on the same scale as the city bankers our company provides performance related bonuses and we'll work out ***** off to try to achieve those goals. Good to have something to keep you on your toes.
Old 05 October 2010, 02:04 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
Do you think so? remember these are bankers the money will be put into bonds or the likes, off shored, anything to reduce the ammount of tax, I'd be looking at 500million or less in tax rather than 3bn.

Tony
[Trout Mode]
Some senior bankers were speaking with me earlier that suggested the tax take would be in excess of 50% of the bonus awarded if the likes of income tax and various sales taxes were taken into account.
[/Trout Mode]

OK, they were on the telly (Sorry Trout)
Old 05 October 2010, 02:21 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

I do know of companies which give out nice cars (lambo's etc) as bonuses as they dont get taxed on them, you just cant sell them for 2 years

Tony
Old 05 October 2010, 05:34 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns

Tony
It is much harder to offshore money nowadays and not get it taxed. All the tax havens are being forced to cough up and 'fess to the Feds or HMRC.

If the money is put into bonds or stocks, when they vest it will be taxable at normal rates.

Originally Posted by SJ_Skyline
[Trout Mode]
Some senior bankers were speaking with me earlier that suggested the tax take would be in excess of 50% of the bonus awarded if the likes of income tax and various sales taxes were taken into account.
[/Trout Mode]

OK, they were on the telly (Sorry Trout)
Sorry, my ****

Anyway, I have not spoken with, or seen any senior bankers speak for a couple of weeks now.
Old 05 October 2010, 06:13 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Coffin Dodger
The government may as well just print the money it 'makes' from the Banks.

Banks don't actually 'make' anything except debt money.

It not really part of the real economy which the government appropriates through the medium of tax money.

For example if the whole of the private sector in this country was banking, who we be rich? No we would starve.
Old 05 October 2010, 06:37 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

So someone (in this instance bankers) has a good job and earn a bonus.
Big deal.

If we really really wanted to be in the same situation then we could work hard and get it.

Too much green eyed monster in too many people!
Old 05 October 2010, 06:41 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Are these a different set of bankers that did this under 13 years of New Labia or the same people.

Chip
Old 05 October 2010, 06:50 PM
GC8WRX
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by zip106
So someone (in this instance bankers) has a good job and earn a bonus.
Big deal.

If we really really wanted to be in the same situation then we could work hard and get it.

Too much green eyed monster in too many people!

when the bank wont lend my mate 50k to keep his business afloat but the **** that runs the bank it is due MILLIONS in bonuses, thats ******* wrong, END OF!
Old 05 October 2010, 06:55 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Why?

Banks run a business not a charity.

Also the people who run the commercial banks, i.e. lending to small businesses, do not typically make MILLIONS on bonuses. That is usually the investment bankers.
Old 05 October 2010, 07:26 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Ok, so I've never needed £50k from a bank, but in the last 15 years I've never been denied any borrowing - be it loan or overdraft facility - for my business.

Obviously if a business NEEDS £50k to stay afloat, then it's quite possibly not doing too well anyway.

Much the same as selling shares when they start on a continuos downward trend - you may want to stay in on the off-chance they rise, but in all probability it'll just fizzle out to nothing and you lose all your money.

Like a bank giving a failing business...etc...
Old 05 October 2010, 07:30 PM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

I love the fact that people get excited about bank bonuses.

a) The banks employee an awful lot of people, so these big numbers are headline grabbing, but in reality are nothing to do with what people perceive caused the problems

b) governments (and ours more than many) spent more than their income for many years - a crash was inevitvable, it just needed a catalyst

c) the problems in banking were mostly caused by investment banks - not the high street banks that people focus on

d) all this talk of tax avoidance is largely nonsense - it's impossible to avoid tax on the bonuses as it will be being paid to employees by large institutions (i.e. subject to PAYE and NI). clever investments in bonds etc are largely done using net pay - and what's wrong with that?

e) the bonuses are great in that people will spend them - we can't on one hand moan about the lack of liquidity in the system and then on the other moan about liquidity being created.

Move along now The next troll will be along in a minute (or the same boring old fart who either doesn't work or should be fired as he's always on here!)

Gordo
Old 05 October 2010, 07:31 PM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

DP
Old 05 October 2010, 07:36 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gordo

a) The banks employee an awful lot of people, so these big numbers are headline grabbing, but in reality are nothing to do with what people perceive caused the problems

b) governments (and ours more than many) spent more than their income for many years - a crash was inevitvable, it just needed a catalyst

c) the problems in banking were mostly caused by investment banks - not the high street banks that people focus on

d) all this talk of tax avoidance is largely nonsense - it's impossible to avoid tax on the bonuses as it will be being paid to employees by large institutions (i.e. subject to PAYE and NI). clever investments in bonds etc are largely done using net pay - and what's wrong with that?

e) the bonuses are great in that people will spend them - we can't on one hand moan about the lack of liquidity in the system and then on the other moan about liquidity being created.

Move along now The next troll will be along in a minute (or the same boring old fart who either doesn't work or should be fired as he's always on here!)

Gordo

Good post
especially d) - my wife gets a fairly big bonus each year and there's no way that tax and NI could ever be evaded (she isn't a banker, incidentally)
Old 05 October 2010, 07:36 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

the chairman of RBS does not seem to think they earn it

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-worth-it.html
Old 05 October 2010, 07:40 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Yet the high street banks needed a bail out.

So why not print money and give it to pensioners then?
Old 05 October 2010, 07:45 PM
tony de wonderful
Scooby Regular

Yet the high street banks needed a bail out.

So why not print money and give it to pensioners then?
Old 05 October 2010, 07:46 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

b) governments (and ours more than many) and the majority of consumers spent far more than their income for many years - a crash was inevitvable, it just needed a catalyst

Gordo
(b) EFA
Old 05 October 2010, 08:45 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

I'm glad we all agree that these Bonuses should be taxed so heavily that they render them worthless to the greedy receipiant.

90% Tax should do it nicely ... the NI would take care of the rest - sorted!