Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

The "Cash" Economy

Search this Thread

Old 05 October 2010, 12:21 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The "Cash" Economy

Is it me or is there an entirely spearate economy for certain areas of business, you know Some Builders (Tarmac drives ?), Nightclubs, Chinese Takeaways, Hairdressing as it struck me that half the problems with the country are down to a lack of money coming in the coffers, cash is great but also untraceable, if you get your drive tarmaced will any of that ever go through HMRC.

Can you imagine if Cash was removed from the equation and everyone had to declare every penny like us PAYE slaves ?
Old 05 October 2010, 12:24 PM
mamoon2
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats the benefit of not being a PAYE slave
Old 05 October 2010, 12:33 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Even PAYE slaves can make use of the cash economy occasionally

Old 05 October 2010, 12:34 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Not had a letter of the revenue yet with my refund yet

I was contracting at the time so hopefully will be ok.
Old 05 October 2010, 12:42 PM
GC8WRX
Scooby Regular

Location: Wanting the English to come first in England for a change!

The less money that goes to government coffers the better, theres only a finite amount of duck pond ornaments left!
Old 05 October 2010, 12:50 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I was reading that the Tax office now wants to have everyones pay sent to them so that they can personally extract their estimate of our tax and dole out what is left to us.

With their history it would be a long time before we got paid at all if they screw it up in their favour!

Les
Old 05 October 2010, 12:53 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Leslie
I was reading that the Tax office now wants to have everyones pay sent to them so that they can personally extract their estimate of our tax and dole out what is left to us.

With their history it would be a long time before we got paid at all if they screw it up in their favour!

Les

I have been waiting nearly 3 months now for the money they owe me
Old 05 October 2010, 12:53 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Les ..... it's your heroes in control now - I very much doubt that they will do anything annoying to you
Old 05 October 2010, 01:03 PM
GlesgaKiss
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kingofturds
I have been waiting nearly 3 months now for the money they owe me
Same here. You need to pay on time, but it's not so important actually getting the money back to you.
Old 05 October 2010, 03:38 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

Everyone is guilty to some extent, I know I am. I don't declare when I do electrical/network installations in domestic properties on the side, or for cutting grass/hedges for a few old dears on my estate. I don't advertise in the yellow pages or anything like that, people just know I do it.

A bit a lot of people have some sort of trade/hobby which they make cash on the side.

I know if I was self employed I would be earning 12k a year
Old 05 October 2010, 04:03 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

Yeah, but people who know and trust you, would rather give you the work I bet. My missus hems curtains and because wimmins don't buy clothes that fit them, cuts and stitches things up. There are a fair few people who do advertise locally, people that know her seem to prefer to take stuff to her. Neither of his could give up our day jobs, but there is always something to spend the cash on, shoes and makeup normally.

Last edited by Dedrater; 05 October 2010 at 04:05 PM.
Old 05 October 2010, 04:13 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

People that defraud the tax system in this country are no better than common benefit thieves, IMO.
Old 05 October 2010, 04:21 PM
ChefDude
Scooby Regular

you should really get all your money and just be taxed on what you personally consume.
Old 05 October 2010, 04:23 PM
Butkus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cookstar
People that defraud the tax system in this country are no better than common benefit thieves, IMO.
Does that also apply to people who have a 'day job' but through their own hard work and initiative go and get work that they do in the evenings or weekends for which they are paid in cash? I am not one of them by the way, but I wish those people all the luck in the world. They're paying their fair share of tax, but have decided to take matters into their own hands and get a bit more to provide for THEMSELVES and THEIR families. Why shouldn't they keep it for themselves if they are doing it in their 'own time'?

How can you compare those people with benefit thieves?
Old 05 October 2010, 04:26 PM
ChefDude
Scooby Regular

if people are going to be taxed on income, why should anyone get away with it? cash or otherwise.
Old 05 October 2010, 04:37 PM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Butkus
Does that also apply to people who have a 'day job' but through their own hard work and initiative go and get work that they do in the evenings or weekends for which they are paid in cash? I am not one of them by the way, but I wish those people all the luck in the world. They're paying their fair share of tax, but have decided to take matters into their own hands and get a bit more to provide for THEMSELVES and THEIR families. Why shouldn't they keep it for themselves if they are doing it in their 'own time'?

How can you compare those people with benefit thieves?
Not declaring income, is stealing. Who decides how much is an acceptable amount to steal?
Old 05 October 2010, 04:38 PM
pwhittle
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GlesgaKiss
Same here. You need to pay on time, but it's not so important actually getting the money back to you.
I've had mine back in 1-2 weeks when I've submitted my self-assessment. I guess they're pretty busy now though

It does annoy me how many people don't pay tax - ie are subsidised by those of us that do. It's no different to benefit fraud, which is socially unacceptable. Most of the models I work with aren't registered ("what do you need a receipt for?"), nor are any of the Avon/Virgin etc sellers I know.
Old 05 October 2010, 04:47 PM
Miniman
Scooby Regular

Whatever my feelings about declaring income, they are quickly evaporated when I am told "I can do it for £80 for cash or £100 for a cheque/card".

Where's the nearest cash point - is usually my reply.
Old 05 October 2010, 05:00 PM
Butkus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by cookstar
Not declaring income, is stealing. Who decides how much is an acceptable amount to steal?
Yes, of course in literal terms it can be classed as stealing, just as in the same way driving 31mph in a 30 zone is speeding. The point I am making is that I don't have a problem with someone doing a bit on the side for cash when they've paid their dues on their 40 or 50 hours of 'proper' work for that week. They're giving up their social/family life to get on. Perhaps they're saving for something special or for a treat for their family. That's looking out for your own and to a certain extent life is still about survival of the fittest. And just look at how freely the government will fritter away your hard earned tax money without a second thought.

Whatever you may say (and I see your point, I really do) I still can't put the person in the above situation in the same category as some scumbag sitting at home having everything paid for by the state.
Old 05 October 2010, 05:07 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Not declaring taxable income is EXACTLY the same as benefit fraud, or theft.

When you are not paying what is due to the State it is exactly the same as fraudulently claiming from the State.
Old 05 October 2010, 05:09 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

You guys ought to be a bit more careful about what you say on a public forum. You only need one guy who you have rubbed up the wrong way to send a quick message to taxman who could easily find out your real details. And the whatsit can really hit the fan.

I knew of one guy who lived locally and ran a drinks vending machine business. He made an off the cuff remark in a pub about always having a bit of extra cash which was overheard by some tax guys and they went for him big time. He lost his business and they all but bankrupted him.

Remember what they used to say "Careless Talk Costs Lives"

dk
Old 05 October 2010, 05:10 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

look at the football clubs that get put into recievership by the HMRC due to non payment of TAX and NI

it seems to me the honest Tax payer is subsidisng footballers wages
Old 05 October 2010, 05:21 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

The guys that I really object to are the ones on benefit - "me back's killing me" - types who also play the cash economy, window cleaning, garden work etc.

dl
Old 05 October 2010, 05:22 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

So they are stealing twice!
Old 05 October 2010, 05:25 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Angry

Originally Posted by Butkus
Yes, of course in literal terms it can be classed as stealing, just as in the same way driving 31mph in a 30 zone is speeding. The point I am making is that I don't have a problem with someone doing a bit on the side for cash when they've paid their dues on their 40 or 50 hours of 'proper' work for that week. They're giving up their social/family life to get on. Perhaps they're saving for something special or for a treat for their family. That's looking out for your own and to a certain extent life is still about survival of the fittest.
Why should my tax pounds subsidise someone who wants to do a bit on the side to give his family a treat. Shall I call up HMRC and let them know I am going to hold back a bit of tax so I can take my wife and kids out for the weekend?

If they are getting more income then they have dues on that too and are still getting more money.
Old 05 October 2010, 05:26 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Isn't there a sneaky way around it being classed as taxable income? As in "donations" not payment for services.
Old 05 October 2010, 05:31 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

You can donate to a charity!

Even working for free can give rise to tax due.
Old 05 October 2010, 05:41 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Trout
You can donate to a charity!

Even working for free can give rise to tax due.
Maybe this is why so many are quite on this front then.

Maybe the frame of mind for some is that of rebellion against the powers that be for taking so much in the first place and wasting it.

I am not admitting anything with the above, just adding to the debate
Old 05 October 2010, 05:41 PM
Butkus
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Trout
Why should my tax pounds subsidise someone who wants to do a bit on the side to give his family a treat. Shall I call up HMRC and let them know I am going to hold back a bit of tax so I can take my wife and kids out for the weekend?

If they are getting more income then they have dues on that too and are still getting more money.
OK, I am starting to see the point that is being made a bit more. I suppose when I hear of stories about people doing small jobs for cash it doesn't bother me anywhere near as much as reading stories about people getting loads in social security. Perhaps as a PAYE slave it should...

Quick Reply: The "Cash" Economy