MOT's going to change ...

Search this Thread

Old 23 September 2010, 09:06 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up MOT's going to change ...

Intervals of the Test, that is.

First test at 4 years and then every 2 years after that - to fall into line with the rest of the EU.

Excellent news I reckon!

The 'trade' say that it is dangerous ... as 37% of cars fail each year.

Absolute BOLLOX!! In most cases they fail .... because the garage wants some work!

The MOT is a rip-off ..... making it every two years will slice the rogue traders income in half and they will have to find 'proper' honest jobs!

Bring it on Cameron ... the EU has it right!
Old 23 September 2010, 09:09 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

I thought i read somewhere on here that it also means a new MOT whenever you modify the car (that'll cause problems), and VOSA can MOT your car at the side of the road (which is a good idea IMO)
Old 23 September 2010, 09:15 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

I guess if you De-CAT you should re-MOT incase the emissions have become illegal?
Old 23 September 2010, 09:20 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Here is the link.... https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...pond-here.html

I heard the other day that lots of Civic Type R's and Focus ST's are failing MOT's, as their emissions are higher than the manufactures claimed, and now can't pass the MOT
Old 23 September 2010, 09:20 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

What percentage of people check their lights or condition of tyres and tread depth of their car(s)?

That alone warrants a yearly inspection IMO.

2yr/4yr MOTs are fine...so long as we can ban any driver found with a defective light or illegal tyres and crush their car. And I can sue the pants off anyone with a car in such condition that is in an accident involving myself.

6 points for no washer fluid, and 10points for a broken wiper/knackered blade, wouldn't be too draconian...would it?

Its simple crap like this that the average woman can't do (sorry girls, but face it, your girly mates let the side down) is the whole reason why we need MOTs in the first place. Otherwise they'd be doing school runs on tyres worn down to the carcass with one brake lamp, one headlamp and wipers that smears like it was wiping the worktop of a greasy spoon cafe. So long as baby is strapped into the ISOfix four point harness, you couldn't give a stuff on the car's safety.

And if I see a car with incorrectly aimed headlamps, I'm going to take a baseball bat to them (the headlamps, that is).

Last edited by ALi-B; 23 September 2010 at 09:24 PM.
Old 23 September 2010, 09:21 PM
scooby2010
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

every 2years will be dangerous!!!!!
u should see the scrap that comes through our door for mot every year never mind every 2.......
Old 23 September 2010, 09:22 PM
scooby2010
Scooby Regular

u should see the scrap that comes through our door for mot every year never mind every 2.......
Old 23 September 2010, 09:24 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
What percentage of people check their lights or condition of tyres and tread depth of their car(s)?

2yr/4yr MOTs are fine...so long as we can ban any driver found with a defective light or illegal tyre and crush thier car. And I can sue the pants of anyone with a car in such condition that is in an accident involving myself.

6 points for no washer fluid, and 10points for a broken wiper/knackered blade, wouldn't be too draconian...would it?

Its simple crap like this that the average woman can't do (sorry girls, but face it, your girly mates let the side down) is the whole reason why we need MOTs in the first place. Otherwise they'd be doing school runs on tyres worn down to the carcass with one brake lamp, one headlamp and wipers that smears like it was wiping the worktop of a greasy spoon cafe. So long as baby is strapped into the ISOfix four point harness, you couldn't give a stuff on the car's safety.

And if I see a car with incorrectly aimed headlamps, I'm going to take a baseball bat to them (the headlamps, that is).
That is so true.

There's a lot of cars around as it is that one wonders how the hell they pass an MOT.

(perhaps they don't - who knows?)
Old 23 September 2010, 09:25 PM
scooby2010
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B

2yr/4yr MOTs are fine...so long as we can ban any driver found with a defective light or illegal tyres and crush their car. And I can sue the pants off anyone with a car in such condition that is in an accident involving myself.

well said
Old 23 September 2010, 09:26 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

It is the drivers that need to be tested / inspected more often..
Old 23 September 2010, 09:33 PM
Mrfastbaz
Scooby Regular

3 years and every year after that should stay i had a 106 as a run around bought it last october with 10 months mot was a little dubious needed a bit of welding in the wheel arches but used it daily to the tip etc sold it on a a runner/spares or repair a month or so ago its mot is now up and believe me i would not like to see that car still on the road for another 12 months without major cash investment keep 3 years and every year after that
Old 23 September 2010, 09:37 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by pslewis

First test at 4 years and then every 2 years after that - to fall into line with the rest of the EU.

Excellent news I reckon!

Absolute BOLLOX!! In most cases they fail .... because the garage wants some work!

The MOT is a rip-off ..... making it every two years will slice the rogue traders income in half and they will have to find 'proper' honest jobs!

Pete, you really think its going to improve cars on the road? not everyone does 10k a year, that 4 year old car thats bought with 30k on the clock, by the time its 6 years old with 100k on the clock and all the servicing is "done at home", the emissions are through the roof, tyres are well worn etc, nah, if your car was inspected and well maintained (lots get to the stage where they wont be), then there are going to be lots more death traps on the road.
Stick with 12 monthly intervals or less tbh.

Tony
Old 23 September 2010, 09:45 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Works in the other EU countries ......
Old 23 September 2010, 09:49 PM
c_maguire
Scooby Regular

If so many people in this country were not mentally challenged, two years between tests would be an all round improvement. The idea that a once yearly test is justified on the basis that it prevents idiots running their tyres through to the canvas is ridiculous, that is an attitude problem.
The last time I had my car tested it had only done 2000 miles since the last test, I regularly check tyre condition/pressures, fluid levels, lights etc. The test was a pointless inconvenience.

The logical approach is a two yearly test, and random roadside checks by the police followed by suitable punishments for stupidity or blatant lawbreaking.

Kevin
Old 23 September 2010, 10:01 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Eh? Why? Oh yeah, it's only speed that kills isn't it?

I don't think there's a week goes by where I don't see a tyre that's 'punctured', but only because it's just worn right through the carcass. I pointed out to a lady that she had no tread on her tyres...when I say no tread I mean slick, I was quite impressed they'd worn so evenly! I might as well have explained particle physics to her, she had no idea how dangerous her tyres were! These people can only come up with 'well it passed its MOT'.

Extending MOT intervals imo, as someone who has worked in the motor trade for 17 years, will cause no end of problems and is a massive mistake! (I don't work in a garage any more so don't benefit from MOT repairs before you start!)

I'd say a full test every 12 months and a basic check, tyres lights etc, every 6. I've never really understood the whole three year / no MOT thing. My van for example did over 100k miles before it had an MOT...
Old 23 September 2010, 10:01 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

My pal passed 100,000 miles just before the first MOT, so the company auctioned it off... can you imagine what state it would be in after a further two years ?

Mental, some people need their "sheds" failing on an annual basis.

dunx
Old 23 September 2010, 10:02 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Excellent news I reckon!

More nonsense. Keep quiet.
Old 23 September 2010, 10:06 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

I know I shouldn't bite but... I think you'll find there's a hell of a lot of cars that 'pass' because the paperwork involved in failing it isn't worth the hassle, ie headlamp adjustment often just gets corrected and never mentioned (unless there are other fails).
Old 23 September 2010, 10:06 PM
classicgc8
Scooby Regular

Default mots going to change

Originally Posted by scooby2010
+1 to that ,me too and to thing that when i test a car and advise a metal brake pipe is slightly corroded and it might not be reinspected for two years.cars will be failing as testers including myself will be thinking of the what ifs
Old 23 September 2010, 10:09 PM
zip106
Scooby Regular

Have you seen the state of cars in Spain, Portugal.....
richgreenscooby1
Scooby Regular

i totaly agree with tony ,im not being funny , the things you see in a garage is shocking , if it wasnt for the mot i bet there would be a few more crashes and deaths in this country.

kev you make a good point that if you only do 200 miles a year then there is a good chance there will be nothing wrong with your car however could there not be a sticky caliper or bulb failure in this time with standing ?????

On the other side i had a row with a guy the other day , coz i said his tyre was knackard and i wouldnt road test it ..""i said there is cords showing and its dangerous""

His answer be ok untill the mot !!!!! 12 month or 24 month mot ??? what do you think ...

You have to remember a lot of people bairly pop the bonnet between services never mind check a tyre or change a bulb..
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

I will still be getting mine done yearly regardless and I am sure people who ferry loved ones around will do also.

I don't buy new, never have, so all my cars are well used in and I normally run the work car into the ground. So for £40 a year, it's a no brainer, I want them to find faults with it, so they can be sorted and not lead to more damage and/or my ending up in a ditch.
Old 23 September 2010, 10:10 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

I will still be getting mine done yearly regardless and I am sure people who ferry loved ones around will do also.

I don't buy new, never have, so all my cars are well used in and I normally run the work car into the ground. So for £40 a year, it's a no brainer, I want them to find faults with it, so they can be sorted and not lead to more damage and/or my ending up in a ditch.
Old 23 September 2010, 10:13 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dedrater

It's a very good point as many run a £400 banger for work etc. I currently do and do most service work myself so can check for faults etc. Mr or Mrs 'use a car as means of transport only' won't give 2 hoots about anything on said bangers because "it has an MOT".

I would expect a sudden increase in accidents should this come into force
Old 23 September 2010, 10:17 PM
LeeMac
Scooby Regular

Been doing it in France for years and most of the cars there have done 200,000 miles +

Thing is, in France the MOT places are purely for that purpose, no repairs, just MOTs
I had a 98 fiat over there for 5 years, hardly used it, when I did it got battered, never had a problem with mots there, came back to England in it and it failed on all sorts of little things, tiny bit of welding that I didnt even look to see if they had done it
failed on what they said were dangerous brake lines at the back
on my reciept it said, brake pipes cleaned!

My last 2 MOTs I have had done at council MOT stations (not after work) and passed without any issues

MOT blokes to me seem to have blagged people so many times they believe it themselves now

Last edited by LeeMac; 23 September 2010 at 10:18 PM.
Old 23 September 2010, 10:17 PM
LeeMac
Scooby Regular

Last edited by LeeMac; 23 September 2010 at 10:18 PM. Reason: double post
Old 23 September 2010, 10:24 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Petrol stations in Spain also check your tyres, check your oil, water, washer fluid and clean your windscreen whilst filling the car with fuel....And despite this attended service on every fill-up, the fuel is STILL cheaper than the UK!

ITV tests maybe every four years for a new car and then two years thereafter, but they are fairly strict...moreso than the UK - you can't get pally with the tester and give him a bung for ignoreing your decat and he won't re-aim your headlamp or change a defective bulb as a freebie.

Despite this, once the car is 10yrs old, tests are yearly again. This is partly the reason why you rarely see old cars on the road there (barring the odd 80yr old olive farmer in a Renault 4 van who never goes above 30km/h). I belive most modern cars are scrapped on emissions issues, as daft as it sounds.

Most cars in Spain appear to run quality mainstream branded tyres; there are laws that dictate the car must run the same brand and model on each axle. And I'm yet to see a car running Kumhos, Nankangs or some other teflon coated crap. Unlike the UK, where its mix and match and tyres using the same rubber as a Vietnamese boatman's shoes is the acceptable norm dished out by the likes of kwik fit and budget tyre retailers.

Most peope in the EU have to carry spare bulbs....tell that to the "cyclops" drivers in the UK. They also have to have reflective jackets for the driver and all occupants. And a warning triangle. People who wear glasses to drive must by law also have a spare pair in the vehicle...You'd be lucky if my mum remembers her normal glasses, let alone her spare pair.

And ever watched Cops with Cameras or Road Wars? Ever seen how much mouth our coppers get from drivers of dodgy/illegal cars? If they tried that with a Guardia, they'd have their faces in the dirt before they even finish their sentence.
Old 23 September 2010, 10:27 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

I agree, if the MOT's were ONLY done by the Council Approved garages then we would have 'honest' MOT's and I would agree the annual test should remain.

But, as long as every single day people get stitched up by MOT garages drumming work up for themselves, I think every 2 years would be a great tool to put these outfits out of business.

I'm absolutely sure that my regular MOT passes are less to do with the fact that all my cars are extremely well maintained, but more to do with the fact that I know what I'm talking about and haven't got MUG tattooed across my forehead!
Old 23 September 2010, 10:35 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Any idiot worth his salt will know something of whats wrong with his car , and therefore complian when/if 'extra' work is carried out

People have to make a living

Carry on, nothing to see here

Last edited by dpb; 23 September 2010 at 10:37 PM.
Old 23 September 2010, 10:43 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I agree, if the MOT's were ONLY done by the Council Approved garages then we would have 'honest' MOT's and I would agree the annual test should remain.

But, as long as every single day people get stitched up by MOT garages drumming work up for themselves, I think every 2 years would be a great tool to put these outfits out of business.

I'm absolutely sure that my regular MOT passes are less to do with the fact that all my cars are extremely well maintained, but more to do with the fact that I know what I'm talking about and haven't got MUG tattooed across my forehead!

Although not this idiot obviously

Quick Reply: MOT's going to change ...