Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Pay Pal

Search this Thread

Old 14 September 2010, 10:00 PM
Neilg7777
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pay Pal

Hi if someone pays you money through pay pal is there any chance they can cancel the payment or is it like a bank transfer once its done its not reversable. Dont want to post something and then get done with the payment(not on here)
Thanks Neil
Old 14 September 2010, 10:02 PM
neil1980
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Neilg7777
Hi if someone pays you money through pay pal is there any chance they can cancel the payment or is it like a bank transfer once its done its not reversable. Dont want to post something and then get done with the payment(not on here)
Thanks Neil
transfer payment in to your bank account once funds are in send item out .
Old 14 September 2010, 10:04 PM
Tazz Kill Er
Scooby Regular

The Buyer can issue a chargeback if they pay with a creditcard through paypal and you end out of pocket. The only protection against that is to have tracked & signed for delivery with the correct amount of insurance to cover the value of the item.
Old 14 September 2010, 10:09 PM
porky_wrx
Scooby Regular

think they have 40 days to claim money back if something goes wrong make sure you pay extra and send item recorded maybe worth insured so u got proof its got there
Old 14 September 2010, 10:11 PM
peter zippy reid
Scooby Regular

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Tazz Kill Er
The Buyer can issue a chargeback if they pay with a creditcard through paypal and you end out of pocket. The only protection against that is to have tracked & signed for delivery with the correct amount of insurance to cover the value of the item.
as tazz said i let the guy who bought my i-phone come to my house to collect then he did a charge back saying somebody had used his card and paypal wouldnt help because i didnt post to the address recorded so i lost £330
Old 14 September 2010, 10:35 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

I always send either special delivery or 1st class signed for and never never allow anyone to collect. I've never had a problem of this nature in 6 years
Old 14 September 2010, 11:23 PM
Neilg7777
Scooby Regular

Yes told him it was going to be recorded and insured so should be ok
Thanks Neil

Trending Topics

Old 15 September 2010, 09:26 AM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

www.paypalsucks.com

Remember you are better protected with PayPal and other lies.

5t.
Old 15 September 2010, 10:23 AM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fivetide
www.paypalsucks.com

Remember you are better protected with PayPal and other lies.

5t.
But until everyone becomes 100% honest and satisfied (i wont hold my breath), it's the best you've got.
Old 15 September 2010, 10:28 AM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

common misconception with paypal, you can ALWAYS lose your money up to six months after the payment was sent to you regardless of if you sent tracked, signed for etc etc
Old 15 September 2010, 11:52 AM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by b13bat
But until everyone becomes 100% honest and satisfied (i wont hold my breath), it's the best you've got.
Actually, no it isn't. Your bank does credit card transactions without the need for a 3rd party. Google does checkout/WorldPay.

Its all you've got on eBay because eBay own it and force you to use their system while pretending they are doing you a favour.

5t.
Old 15 September 2010, 12:48 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fivetide
It's all you've got on eBay because eBay own it and force you to use their system while pretending they are doing you a favour.

5t.
Actually, no it isn't. You are able to use Google, PO's, cheques ect on ebay, or even direct bank tranfer.

For the convenience and added peace of mind, i'll stand a couple of quid. In 6 years of messing about on ebay i've only lost out once. I've made much more
Old 15 September 2010, 01:18 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always send either special delivery or 1st class signed for and never never allow anyone to collect. I've never had a problem of this nature in 6 years
Why don't allow collection?

Surely collection with payment of cash is the best of all worlds?
Old 15 September 2010, 01:30 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
Why don't allow collection?

Surely collection with payment of cash is the best of all worlds?
Yeah, if it's 'cash on collection' it's not so bad. If they pay by pp then they can just file a 'item not recieved' and you haven't got a leg to stand on, no proof of postage.

I should of been clearer in my earlier post.

Last edited by Glowplug; 15 September 2010 at 01:31 PM.
Old 15 September 2010, 01:33 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Scooby Soon!
common misconception with paypal, you can ALWAYS lose your money up to six months after the payment was sent to you regardless of if you sent tracked, signed for etc etc
Was going to post this. Doesn't matter how the item is sent, if the buyer used a CC they can request a chargeback up to 6 months after.

Only ever had one person really try it on - eventually they posted the items to me but didn't use any proof of postage. I could have escalated to claim and kept my £300 as well as the items but I'm not like that.
Old 15 September 2010, 01:39 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EddScott
Was going to post this. Doesn't matter how the item is sent, if the buyer used a CC they can request a chargeback up to 6 months after.
Yeah, but if you've got proof of postage and delivery, and it's insured, your in pretty good position to defend yourself.

Only ever had one person really try it on - eventually they posted the items to me but didn't use any proof of postage. I could have escalated to claim and kept my £300 as well as the items but I'm not like that.
Like i said Edd, it's down to honesty in the end, the buyers, the sellers and the couriers.
Old 15 September 2010, 01:58 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Actually, no it isn't. You are able to use Google, PO's, cheques ect on ebay, or even direct bank tranfer.

For the convenience and added peace of mind, i'll stand a couple of quid. In 6 years of messing about on ebay i've only lost out once. I've made much more
Pretty sure you HAVE to offer PayPal or they won't let you sell.

Also, is it not the case that you aren't allowed to specifically put in your advert "don't use PayPal as a payment option" i f you do they'll pull your ad. That means you don't have a choice really. You just have to hope the buyer gets in touch and asks about it.

5t.
Old 15 September 2010, 02:00 PM
Mitchy260
Scooby Regular

Another question about paypal.

I sold something on ebay last night that requires pick up instead of postage. The buyer wants to pay by paypal rather than cash on collection.

I am a little bit suspicious as I will then not be able to prove he has taken delivery of the item and he can therefore then dispute through paypal to get his money back. Again, the same should there be anything wrong and he sends the item back to me.

Does anyone know where paypal stands with collections/pick ups?

I think i'll just demand cash, otherwise he is not getting the goods.
Old 15 September 2010, 02:00 PM
Mitchy260
Scooby Regular

I sold something on ebay last night that requires pick up instead of postage. The buyer wants to pay by paypal rather than cash on collection.

I am a little bit suspicious as I will then not be able to prove he has taken delivery of the item and he can therefore then dispute through paypal to get his money back. Again, the same should there be anything wrong and he sends the item back to me.

I think i'll just demand cash, otherwise he will not be getting the goods, but isn't this breaking ebay rules which states paypal must be offered?

Last edited by Mitchy260; 15 September 2010 at 02:08 PM.
Old 15 September 2010, 02:14 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Mitchy260

I think i'll just demand cash, otherwise he is not getting the goods.
Defo get cash on collection, as i said earlier.

How big/what is it? If it's not postable there must be something in the t&c's.

One way i suppose, would be to photograph the buyer with the item, stood outside your front door, and if you can geo tag and time and date stamp it. Don't know how admissible this would be but it may make them think twice before making a faulse claim.
Old 15 September 2010, 09:34 PM
Neilg7777
Scooby Regular

He may have the cash in his paypal acount because he sold something on ebay. Normaly takes 2-3 working days to get the cash. I found out last night you can pay for a quicker service 1-2 working days (£5) so could be a option if you are willing to wait for the cash. I am going to send it recorded, insured and ask him over text if he received it and then keep the text.
Neil
Old 16 September 2010, 01:09 AM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mitchy260

I think i'll just demand cash, otherwise he will not be getting the goods, but isn't this breaking ebay rules which states paypal must be offered?
When the buyer turns up, get them to inspect the item and leave you feedback via your PC before they leave with the item. It's a little more difficult to say that they've never received it then.
Old 16 September 2010, 07:31 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

- eventually they posted the items to me but didn't use any proof of postage.
how do you prove postage

surely all you actually have is a slip from the post office saying you posted something

couldn't you just post a load of rubbish (literally) and keep the slip, but as I said what does that actually prove