Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

British Airways Fleet average age

Search this Thread

Old 10 September 2010, 10:07 AM
Turbo2
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation British Airways Fleet average age

I know we consider our Flag Carrier to be at the forefront of civil aviation, but, according to this website, we're flying around in the airliner equivalent of a rusty old MY99 UK Turbo 2000! In fact the long-haul 747-400 workhorses are on average over 15 years old!

http://www.airfleets.net/ageflotte/B...%20Airways.htm
Old 10 September 2010, 10:21 AM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

And maintained to a better standard than the MY2010 car was built to.

Last edited by FlightMan; 10 September 2010 at 10:31 AM.
Old 10 September 2010, 10:26 AM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

I didn't realise that aircraft were also made out of tin-foil. I thought that was a Subaru only construction method.
Old 10 September 2010, 11:09 AM
boxst
Scooby Regular

They are quite well maintained and nothing has really changed significantly.

Which is a shame as I would have expected us to fly across the Atlantic at concorde speeds in a standard 'plane by now ...

Steve
Old 10 September 2010, 11:33 AM
Turbo2
Scooby Regular

You can imagine their Pistonheads ad:

1995 Boeing 747-400 for sale.
Full Main Dealer Service History.
1 careful owner.
VGC. Rust free with slight smell of sick from Economy cabin.
HPI clear with no mods or accident damage.
12 months Tax & MOT
Genuine 30 million miles from new.

Any serious offer accepted. May P/X A380 with cash your way

Last edited by Turbo2; 10 September 2010 at 11:35 AM.
Old 10 September 2010, 11:57 AM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quite a young fleet by some airlines standards, generally I find that after watching a lot of programmes about crashes, its rarely the age of the aircraft that is the problem, previous repairs done badly, pilot error, weather, ATC errors etc etc, never just the plane was so knakered, full of Isopon with a Dodgy MOT, it fell from the sky.

Typically, dependant on use an airliner built today can expect to be flying for 30 or so years, there are a lot of aircraft in use with Cargo outfits, the millitary and third world airlines for passenger work that are much, much older, remember even a lowly 737 is like 30 million quid plus so they have to keep them working all the time until such time as they are uneconomic to keep flying.

Doesnt worry me for I have flown on a Dan Air 1-11, now that was an old dustbin with wings.
Old 10 September 2010, 12:17 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

age isn't an issue with planes, its air hours you need to worry about
Old 10 September 2010, 12:21 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I flew on a Garuda Airlines plane quite a while ago......even made "Dan Air / Dan Dare" BAC 1-11 look good !!

Surely Garuda must have been shut down by now....

Shaun
Old 10 September 2010, 12:47 PM
JamieMiller
Scooby Regular

15 years old is pretty young if you ask me. That's probably a good age as all the little snags will be ironed out and the thing will have been through at least one major check and will be pretty spot on. Air hours isn't really an issue either, as long as the fatigue life isn't reached then all will be fine.
I'm an engineer on large helicopters and when we carry out a 'D' check at 9000hrs the average manhours required for this check is about 13500hrs, sometimes more.
I hope that this gives you a small idea of the amount of preventative maintenance that goes into aircraft.
Old 10 September 2010, 12:53 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

There was a Romanian version of the 1-11 as well, even less appealing than the original, nowadays that is, back then they were par for the course, noisy, smoky and rattly.

I think flying back then had more class, more romance and mystique, men in suits with roll necks sat chatting with exotic women in kaftans smoking as if their lives depended on it, sat on the top deck of a Jumbo, having a Martini on the Orange and Brown crushed velour seats then having had a very satisfactory **** in the toilets, Alan Whicker sat three rows in front, Joan Collins and David Frost debating the Veitnam War, the Captain nips out for a chat with them , greets them like old friends, looking like he is off a "Pantene for men" ad you see in the barbers, a glint in his eye, a bit tired though from the long flight and the 4 stewardesses he entertained last night, jumpers for goalposts, isnt it, marvellous.
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

There was a Romanian version of the 1-11 as well, even less appealing than the original, nowadays that is, back then they were par for the course, noisy, smoky and rattly.

I think flying back then had more class, more romance and mystique, men in suits with roll necks sat chatting with exotic women in kaftans smoking as if their lives depended on it, sat on the top deck of a Jumbo, having a Martini on the Orange and Brown crushed velour seats then having had a very satisfactory **** in the toilets, Alan Whicker sat three rows in front, Joan Collins and David Frost debating the Veitnam War, the Captain nips out for a chat with them , greets them like old friends, looking like he is off a "Pantene for men" ad you see in the barbers, a glint in his eye, a bit tired though from the long flight and the 4 stewardesses he entertained last night, jumpers for goalposts, isnt it, marvellous.
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

13500 man hours per 9000 flight hours? Bloody hell that's impressive!!
Old 10 September 2010, 12:58 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO

Old 10 September 2010, 01:00 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

The thing that dictates the ability of an aircraft to continue flying is its fatigue life, assuming that an adequate supply of spares still exists.

Transport aircraft flying at the higher levels do not experience very much rough air compared with those which are operated at lower levels. This means that with low numbers of G reversals due to air turbulence the fatigue life of a transport aircraft can go ion for many years.

The RAF VC10's have been in operational use for many years now both as transport or in the flight refuelling modes. They are still perfectly fit for use even though they will shortly be retired after 50 years! The VC10 was a particularly well built aircraft. Those airlines which bought the 707 because it was cheaper and lighter in weight got a nasty shock when they had to pay for re-skinning the airframe after a comparatively short period of time. The VC10 never needed that to be done! In this case, British was certainly best!

Les
Old 10 September 2010, 01:03 PM
JamieMiller
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by FlightMan
That's helicopters for you!!
Old 10 September 2010, 01:11 PM
Jaybird-UK
Scooby Regular

Age doesnt concern me at all, its the condition and level of maintainance that matters to me!

Here are some airlines you should never travel on....

List of airlines banned within the EU (PDF Document)
Old 10 September 2010, 01:12 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jaybird-UK
Age doesnt concern me at all, its the condition and level of maintainance that matters to me!

Are Air France on there?
Old 10 September 2010, 01:32 PM
boxst
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO

With interesting adverts that basically said fly with us because we have pretty stewardesses: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8q9zOUMdtg
Old 10 September 2010, 02:11 PM
Turbo2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jaybird-UK

Seems to be a bit selective that list: they seem to have picked out about 20 3rd World countries and black-listed every operator in there, rather than actually audit them. Most of these aircraft/operators would never come to the EU anyway, so it's all rather hypothetical to ban them from our airspace.
Old 10 September 2010, 02:22 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Wink

Originally Posted by FlightMan
I wanna see the kettle!
Old 10 September 2010, 02:26 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Midlife......
I flew on a Garuda Airlines plane quite a while ago......even made "Dan Air / Dan Dare" BAC 1-11 look good !!

Surely Garuda must have been shut down by now....

Shaun
I used to work for them..... 'interesting' planes.

Weren't Indonesian airlines barred from EU airspace a few years back?