Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Flamer Kit

Search this Thread

Old 28 August 2010, 08:06 PM
Jimbob
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flamer Kit

Right yes they are chavvy and a waste of time etc etc etc.

BUT I had one in the boot of my car when I bought it, but not wired up just a jumble of stuff in a carrier bag.

So just after how to wire it up so I can either fit it, or get rid of it as a working kit. As I`ve no idea if that thingamabob is supposed to be with the kit, or if its off something else

Basically this coil.

With this thingamabob.

And 6ft of red cable and 2ft of black cable.
Old 28 August 2010, 08:34 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do yourself a big favour, and throw it in the bin!!

What on earth were you doing buying a car from someone who has a flamer kit in the boot!!
Old 28 August 2010, 09:37 PM
Jimbob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
Do yourself a big favour, and throw it in the bin!!

What on earth were you doing buying a car from someone who has a flamer kit in the boot!!
Better than buying it from an owner with it fitted. But the car was a shed when I got it, dead engine, etc etc etc.
So fancied a challenge again.
Anyone can buy a new car and drive it to a garage to get fixed, not everyone can totally rebuild a car and engine and do their own servicing and DIY everything. Which I`ve done on every car/boat/van/lorry I`ve had, and now learning on my scoob lol.

But I couldn`t give a monkeys what other people think of what I do, stopped that in Primary School. lol.

So anyone know how to get this working??

Last edited by Jimbob; 28 August 2010 at 09:38 PM.
Old 28 August 2010, 09:59 PM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

If you could post up a bigger close up of the writing on the back of the silver electronic thing or type out what it says, I might be able to take an educated guess at the wiring.
Old 29 August 2010, 03:37 AM
Jimbob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by markjmd
If you could post up a bigger close up of the writing on the back of the silver electronic thing or type out what it says, I might be able to take an educated guess at the wiring.
Here you go.

And inside.
Old 29 August 2010, 08:42 AM
fatscoobfella1
Scooby Regular

Think the wiring is 12V permanent feed(switched and fused),an Earth and an ignition feed.

Switch feed turns the kit on and off,the ig feed makes the control unit pulse the coil..

It must be 10 years since i wired one though,so dont take this info as gospel..
Old 29 August 2010, 10:58 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

What does it do exactly. does it cause a flame out of the exhaust? Does it have to pump a bit of fuel into the exhaust so that the coil can ignite it?

Les
Old 29 August 2010, 11:03 AM
DCI Gene Hunt
Scooby Senior

+1 Bin it.... or sell it to a Barry Boy in General
Old 29 August 2010, 12:17 PM
Fantom
Scooby Regular

This is one of my brothers kits. Although its an older version.

The flamer kit is simply a spark plug inserted into the tail pipe about 2-4 inches back from the end of the system (it should be installed after the last filter box). The H-T lead from the plug is fed through into the boot floor where it is connected to the ignition coil, the ignition module mounts on to the coil. The kit simply connects to + positive supply (battery/ignition etc), via a red lead with fuse and on/off switch, and a black lead that connects to - negative (chassis). The spark plug will be in contact with the metal exhaust for earth and just needs the H-T lead from the coil output connected. When the kit is switched on the ignition module makes the coil discharge to the plug at an extremely fast rate, it causes a near constant spark at the plug. The kit makes flames at the exhaust exit by igniting unburned fuel vapour with the spark plug in the exhaust gases, it will work on most cars that are of a reasonable engine size or turbocharged etc. It works best on turbo cars and it is very important that the catalytic converter is removed on cars that have them fitted (because they absorb any excess fuel vapour in the exhaust gas which the kit relies on for igniting).
Old 29 August 2010, 05:22 PM
Jimbob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Fantom

The flamer kit is simply a spark plug inserted into the tail pipe about 2-4 inches back from the end of the system (it should be installed after the last filter box). The H-T lead from the plug is fed through into the boot floor where it is connected to the ignition coil, the ignition module mounts on to the coil. The kit simply connects to + positive supply (battery/ignition etc), via a red lead with fuse and on/off switch, and a black lead that connects to - negative (chassis). The spark plug will be in contact with the metal exhaust for earth and just needs the H-T lead from the coil output connected. When the kit is switched on the ignition module makes the coil discharge to the plug at an extremely fast rate, it causes a near constant spark at the plug. The kit makes flames at the exhaust exit by igniting unburned fuel vapour with the spark plug in the exhaust gases, it will work on most cars that are of a reasonable engine size or turbocharged etc. It works best on turbo cars and it is very important that the catalytic converter is removed on cars that have them fitted (because they absorb any excess fuel vapour in the exhaust gas which the kit relies on for igniting).
Sweet, any chance you could ask him for a wiring diagram so I can plug it together properly??
Old 29 August 2010, 05:29 PM
CarlXLNT
Scooby Newbie

you will also need a switch on the dash somewhere as these are supposed to be for show use only and could get you nicked if used on the public highway
Old 29 August 2010, 05:43 PM
Jimbob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CarlXLNT
you will also need a switch on the dash somewhere as these are supposed to be for show use only and could get you nicked if used on the public highway
Yeah I know. Its something to pi$$ off the Chavs, as they love their Chicken Paxo`s, and they melt well lol.

Plus I have one of these.
So no visible switch as it can be anywhere within 10m lol.
Bought it years ago as a cheap way of doing parking lights.

Last edited by Jimbob; 29 August 2010 at 05:45 PM.
Old 29 August 2010, 06:44 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Remember to label the switch clearly on the dash ...... something like '******** Device' should suffice

I'm sure the 14 year olds at MacDonalds will think you are reaeaeaealllllllly Kooooool

To be honest, considering you can strip down cars, vans, lorries, boats and spaceships - I'm shocked you cannot connect to 12Volts via a switch (and fuse for safety) Earth and the Ignition Coil to a Spark Plug ......................................

Just messing with ya' ...... you enjoy it
Old 29 August 2010, 06:55 PM
Jimbob
Scooby Regular

Remember to label the switch clearly on the dash ...... something like '******** Device' should suffice

I'm sure the 14 year olds at MacDonalds will think you are reaeaeaealllllllly Kooooool

To be honest, considering you can strip down cars, vans, lorries, boats and spaceships - I'm shocked you cannot connect to 12Volts via a switch (and fuse for safety) Earth and the Ignition Coil to a Spark Plug ......................................

Just messing with ya' ...... you enjoy it
Yeah I can its just I`m unsure of the "control box" and better to be safe than sorry.
Don`t want a flamer kit to make the flames by setting the wiring on fire lol.

But I should go buy a BMW or Audi I can be an individual, just like everyone else. Anyways if people didn`t do dull things how would you cope??

Last edited by Jimbob; 29 August 2010 at 06:59 PM.
Old 29 August 2010, 09:15 PM
DYK
Scooby Regular

Could be useful if ever you get stuck in 2 inches of snow on the motorway overnight and you want to cook a burger or something..
Old 29 August 2010, 09:36 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

Hey each to their own and if someone wants to fit a flamer kit to their car then let them.
To the OP, has your car got a full decat? I believe it needs it for the kit to work properly.
Old 30 August 2010, 12:47 AM
Jimbob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DYK
Could be useful if ever you get stuck in 2 inches of snow on the motorway overnight and you want to cook a burger or something..
Lol just one of those things for a laugh, esp if a Paxo tries parking on my bumper lol.

Originally Posted by Neanderthal
Hey each to their own and if someone wants to fit a flamer kit to their car then let them.
To the OP, has your car got a full decat? I believe it needs it for the kit to work properly.
Yeah will be decatted prior to fitting.

Still not 100% if its gonna be fitted though, just wanna get it ready so I can either fit it or sell it on lol.
Old 30 August 2010, 01:18 AM
Martin 2010
Scooby Regular

ive got one fitted to my car but then again im 24 i dont really use it that often as when its hot it naturally flames any way, they can have a use in a way they stop u puttin un burnt fuel on the taramac and causing slippery surfaces lol ( im not being serious ) its marmite some people like it some people dont i personally like flamer kits on the right cars ( Jap turbos and things like cossies etc ) if u need a hand with the fitting side of things let me know they are not hard at all ( well mine wasnt on my classic )
Old 30 August 2010, 01:38 AM
Jimbob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Martin 2010
ive got one fitted to my car but then again im 24 i dont really use it that often as when its hot it naturally flames any way, they can have a use in a way they stop u puttin un burnt fuel on the taramac and causing slippery surfaces lol ( im not being serious ) its marmite some people like it some people dont i personally like flamer kits on the right cars ( Jap turbos and things like cossies etc ) if u need a hand with the fitting side of things let me know they are not hard at all ( well mine wasnt on my classic )
Well I`m only 28 lol, so hardly one of the grey cruisers lol.
And not as if it would be used 24/7 lol.
Old 30 August 2010, 02:33 AM
Martin 2010
Scooby Regular

yeh mate well if u wanna know how to fit just pm me, also what are you fitting it to?
Old 30 August 2010, 02:41 AM
Jimbob
Scooby Regular

yeh mate well if u wanna know how to fit just pm me, also what are you fitting it to?
Classic 1996 WRX which will be fully decatted, the only thing thats of issue is where that control box goes. As the rest is like fitting a set of spotlights.
Old 30 August 2010, 02:46 AM
Martin 2010
Scooby Regular

orite, well for the button i use the one already on the dash the ( bright ) button for the clock as i thought it would be a better use lol, the enhancement pack goes with the coil in the Sparewheel bay. you need to run the power to that box and earth that box out then run wires from that box to the coil. hope that helps. also theres a large bung in the spare wheel area to insert a hole for HT lead to go through tightly to stop leaks etc.
Old 30 August 2010, 02:58 AM
Jimbob
Scooby Regular

orite, well for the button i use the one already on the dash the ( bright ) button for the clock as i thought it would be a better use lol, the enhancement pack goes with the coil in the Sparewheel bay. you need to run the power to that box and earth that box out then run wires from that box to the coil. hope that helps. also theres a large bung in the spare wheel area to insert a hole for HT lead to go through tightly to stop leaks etc.
Yeah problem I have is that there are 3 cables on the box lol.
So where does the yellow and green go?? lol.
Old 30 August 2010, 09:23 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Fantom

Thanks for the explanation.

Les
Old 30 August 2010, 10:12 AM
markjmd
Scooby Regular

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

jimbob
This should be pretty straightforward. Normally, the silver thing has 3 connections known as 'base', 'emitter', and 'collector', as it's in fact a high-power NPN transistor. In layman's terms, base is for power-in, emitter is earth, and collector is power-out. The only slight issue with yours is the extra circuitry under the white case, which isn't exactly clear from the photo. In all likelihood that's just a protector circuit to stop the transistor from burning itself out though, and as the position of the three connections on the transistor is an industry-standard spec in any case, it should be safe to assume:
red=power from switched and fused feed
blue=earth
green/yellow=power to coil

For safety, I'd rig the whole thing up to an old battery or other independent 12v power supply nowhere near a car and try it out there first. Also, keep the three main components (coil, spark-plug and circuit-box) a decent distance apart from each other, on a non-metallic and non-flammable surface. A big old sheet of thick ply-board should do fine, or a cement floor.

If you ever get round to fitting this to a car, or sell it on to someone else, I'd also advise you use a 'momentary' on-switch, that you have to hold down for it to stay on, rather than a 'latching' switch that'll stay on until you press it again to release it.

cheers
Mark

Edit:
I got my collector and emitter mixed up there, wiring colours amended accordingly. Just goes to show you should never try to do these things from memory alone, always use a datasheet.

Last edited by markjmd; 30 August 2010 at 10:49 AM.
Old 30 August 2010, 10:38 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Love the breadboard circuit

Not seen that stuff since school!

Seriously though, i don't agree with the "it will **** off the chavs in saxos" part because if you fit the kit, you are "one of them" anyway ?
Old 30 August 2010, 10:41 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Ps. will the heatsink not just melt the plastic box ?

Its a large heatsink, which i am assuming needs to deal with a good amount of heat.
Old 30 August 2010, 08:58 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

You're 28 years old??

At that age I had a girlfriend (wife, actually) and didn't need a Flamer Kit to feel like a man.

I honestly thought you must be 17 or 18
Old 30 August 2010, 09:08 PM
Jimbob
Scooby Regular

You're 28 years old??

At that age I had a girlfriend (wife, actually) and didn't need a Flamer Kit to feel like a man.

I honestly thought you must be 17 or 18
Yeah and??

If you think I need a flamer kit to feel like a man, then your barking up the wrong tree totally.

It`s more like "cos I can".
Old 30 August 2010, 10:22 PM
Martin 2010
Scooby Regular

every ones entitled to there opinion some ppl like it some ppl dont i dont seee the need to insult some one because they like something that you dont, with regards to the above post all i will say is im 24 live with my girlfriend in our own house with a westy puppy ( dog ) incase you wasnt sure and i still am some one that likes the flamer kits along with many others, if you dont like it fair enough post something like " i dont like em personally if you really feel the need to no need to insult him " esp when the thread isnt weather you like them or not its about helpin him to fit, you say you've grown up with girlfriend etc, how ever you still have the erge for boys toys so you feel like a man hence why you have a scooby and not a mondeo rant over.