Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anyone flown with BA to Hong Kong recently?

Search this Thread

Old 27 August 2010, 12:40 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Anyone flown with BA to Hong Kong recently?

"We're about to crash," BA passengers told in error.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/22/20100827...y-fa6b408.html

I'm sure there must have been a boom of underwear sales on the in-flight sales trolley after that!
Old 27 August 2010, 02:28 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

If we had made a mistake like that on the VC10 we would have been hung out to dry!

Les
Old 27 August 2010, 03:16 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

I had similar on Cathay Pacific, Hong Kong to London. We hit really bad turbulence (worst I have ever experienced in many flights) the engines started making funny noises and the captain announced in a panic stricken voice all air hostesses to sit down immediately in any available seat. One of the trolly dollies ended up grabbing the phone and screaming "OH MY GOD" plane was completely silent for 10 minutes why we rocked all over the place, shook me up for the rest of the flight!
Old 27 August 2010, 04:20 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby Soon!
I had similar on Cathay Pacific, Hong Kong to London. We hit really bad turbulence (worst I have ever experienced in many flights) the engines started making funny noises and the captain announced in a panic stricken voice all air hostesses to sit down immediately in any available seat. One of the trolly dollies ended up grabbing the phone and screaming "OH MY GOD" plane was completely silent for 10 minutes why we rocked all over the place, shook me up for the rest of the flight!
I can understand why he was worried. Really bad clear air turbulence can be very destructive and if you get caught in it, it can be very difficult to get away from it. You have no indication how long it is going to continue and also it is will get any more violent. I think it is very likely that the aircraft which crashed into the South Atlantic on return from Brazil went into a towering Cumulo Nimbus storm cloud which caused catastrophic airframe damage. We shall find out should they ever recover the black box. I do know there was an unusually concentrated group of enormous Cu Nimbus clouds on his flight path shown on the satellite weather pictures. That is an area where there are usually Cu Nimbus cloud up to 50 odd thousand feet or even higher. The up and downdrafts inside those storms are wing breakers! That is without the effects of the enormous hailstones as well. Feels as though someone is hitting the aircraft with an enormous lump hammer!

You can also get bad clear air turbulence on the outer edges of a jetstream as well.

Plenty there to frighten the captain and make him earn his flying pay!

Les
Old 28 August 2010, 12:10 AM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Flew back from Germany once on a very turbulent flight.

there was only about 10 of us on board a full sized jet lol

the cabin crew sat with us,for most of the flight due to the turbulence.

went from full left bank to full right bank coming over London, due to the

conditions.

The guy next to me washed the overhead lockers with his in flight drink lol

Mart