Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Just had a bump. Advise required

Search this Thread

Old 26 August 2010, 07:46 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just had a bump. Advise required

Don't fcking believe it Just had a minor bump with another car at the Petrol station. Woman in front of where I was, was fannying on with figuring out how to work the "pay at the pump" device. Must have fcuked on with it for 5 mins. A space cleared on another pump, so I tried to quickly reverse back to get to the free pump. Only I didn't see the BMW Z3 behind me.

Reverse into his rear quarter panel, causing damage to the rear quarter panel and bumper.

Now..........

I said at the time, if it's just a few hundred quid, I'd pay cash and avoid the insurance companies. Is it really worth it these days though?

I'm fully comp with protected bonus. Would this small accident, If I do claim on insurance, have any effect on my insurance quotes in the future?

My concern is my other car, a Nissan 370Z. I pay a lot more money for insurance on this. As its bonus mirrors my VW's will claiming on the VW effect the renewal quote on the Nissan. I'll have to tell them of the claim on the VW obviously.

Just debating which way will be cheaper in the long run.

Cheers

Last edited by stilover; 26 August 2010 at 07:48 PM.
Old 26 August 2010, 07:49 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stilover
Don't fcking believe it Just had a minor bump with another car at the Petrol station. Woman in front of where I was, was fannying on with figuring out how to work the "pay at the pump" device. Must have fcuked on with it for 5 mins. A space cleared on another pump, so I tried to quickly reverse back to get to the free pump. Only I didn't see the BMW Z3 behind me.

Reverse into his rear quarter panel, causing damage to the rear quarter panel and bumper.

Now..........

I said at the time, if it's just a few hundred quid, I'd pay cash and avoid the insurance companies. Is it really worth it these days though?

I'm fully comp with protected bonus. Would this small accident, If I do claim on insurance, have any effect on my insurance quotes in the future?

My concern is my other car, a Nissan 370Z. I pay a lot more money for insurance on this. As its bonus mirrors my VW's will claiming on the VW effect the renewal quote on the Nissan. I'll have to tell them of the claim on the VW obviously.

Cheers
I'd pm Moley on this one Mr Lover. Hazard a guess he'll know more than most on here
Old 26 August 2010, 07:51 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

They'll still load you next year with a listed fault claim, but your NCD will be OK as long as you don't have any other mishaps. Each policy differs with how many claims over how many years you're allowed before losing the protection. I wouldn't think repairing any BMW would be a cheap job, and if the owner insists on OE parts and a top quality job it could prove prohibitively expensive. See what their quote comes in at before deciding whether to use your insurance, but maybe someone like Moley would be able to advise better and more accurately how much they might hammer you for next year.
Old 26 August 2010, 07:57 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corradoboy
They'll still load you next year with a listed fault claim, but your NCD will be OK as long as you don't have any other mishaps. Each policy differs with how many claims over how many years you're allowed before losing the protection. I wouldn't think repairing any BMW would be a cheap job, and if the owner insists on OE parts and a top quality job it could prove prohibitively expensive. See what their quote comes in at before deciding whether to use your insurance, but maybe someone like Moley would be able to advise better and more accurately how much they might hammer you for next year.
Yeah, will probably wait for the quote. Plus, there is damage to mine too. So I'll try to get a quote on that this weekend.
Old 26 August 2010, 08:00 PM
nick172sport
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stilover

Now..........

Cheers
insurance mate my next door neighbour had to have his front bumper relaced on his bmw 1200 pounds from bmw garage
Old 26 August 2010, 08:06 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by nick schofield
insurance mate my next door neighbour had to have his front bumper relaced on his bmw 1200 pounds from bmw garage
Christ !!!
Old 26 August 2010, 08:10 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

My BMW 530d was scraped by another car parking. The rear bumper and rear quarter needed paint.

Third party claim turned out to be over £2,000 once the brand new 530d Sport courtesy car was covered for the five days they needed to paint up the car.

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear!
Old 26 August 2010, 08:16 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

I'm not looking forward to his repair bill now.

It was a T reg Z3, but if new parts are required rather than filler and sprayed (which to be honest if it was my car I'd insist on new parts) then I think it's going to be an insurance job. Bother.

Think I might have a couple beers tonight now.
Old 26 August 2010, 09:32 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

Hope you factor in his whip lash claim too!
Old 26 August 2010, 09:46 PM
neil1980
Scooby Regular

M8 wont affect you next year wot so ever 1 claim like that is sweet fa to a insurance co been through it my self.
Old 26 August 2010, 09:56 PM
fatscoobfella1
Scooby Regular

A rear 1/4 panel,rear bumper,paint and labout might even write off a 11 yr old Z3..
Old 26 August 2010, 10:05 PM
Aaron1978
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by fatscoobfella1
A rear 1/4 panel,rear bumper,paint and labout might even write off a 11 yr old Z3..
Id agree, £2.5k to £3k on trader dependant on model.
Old 26 August 2010, 10:06 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Oh dear - you have written off some poor sod's pride and joy!
Old 26 August 2010, 10:34 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

it is a **** and I do sympathise (moment of madness 'n' all that - and we have all been there)

but on the bright side at least their is a p in your post -- otherwise it could have been very painful

Last edited by hodgy0_2; 26 August 2010 at 10:35 PM.
Old 26 August 2010, 10:52 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

This could be time to find a good independent in the area to do the repairs. That will save you a lot of cash, and may well give you a better overall outcome.
Old 26 August 2010, 11:43 PM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Location: It's like finding a cocktail sausage, when what you really wanted was a rather large saveloy.

I just hope he has some sense and takes it to an independent, as other have said. BMW are outrageous. I erm had a slight mishap in my fiances 320.. it was literally a small ding just under the indicater light no bigger than say a bourbon bisquit. They wanted nearly £2000 to repair it.. little garage down the road said they would do it for £500..

Hope you get it sorted easily, and without spending too much!
Old 27 August 2010, 07:48 AM
fatscoobfella1
Scooby Regular

Guess it depends on whether the Z3 owner wants to go through insurance or is happy having it repaired at a indy bodyshop...

If it was me,and i wasnt at fault i would want my car done in the best bodyshop i could..

I cant see why anyone wouldnt
Old 27 August 2010, 08:09 AM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by little-ginge
I erm had a slight mishap in my fiances 320.. it was literally a small ding just under the indicater light no bigger than say a bourbon bisquit. They wanted nearly £2000 to repair it..

LG's little ding

Old 27 August 2010, 08:39 AM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Guess it depends on whether the Z3 owner wants to go through insurance or is happy having it repaired at a indy bodyshop...

If it was me,and i wasnt at fault i would want my car done in the best bodyshop i could..

I cant see why anyone wouldnt
Yeah, I'd be the same. Why would I have my rear panel fillered and sprayed? I'd want a new rear panel as it wasn't my fault.

I did mention a good body shop I know, but if he wants new parts, then I'll have to go through insurance. I'm not too bothered about any little extra monies come renewal on my VW.
It's the 370Z I'm concerned about. I don't have any no claims on that yet (First year of a second car) so the premium was based on mirroring my existing policy discount. Just concerned that this bill push the renewal quote (Due December) through the roof. Already paying approx £1100 a year on the Nissan.
Old 27 August 2010, 08:58 AM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

This happened to a chap at work. His fault and a very small ping.
The stuff the "injured party" tried to claim for is no ones business. He even tried to get whiplash and all sorts of injuries.
My work mate was not even doing more than 5 miles an hour

Good luck
Old 27 August 2010, 09:22 AM
fatscoobfella1
Scooby Regular

Yea..... People do see little bumps as a cash cow nowadays..

We have an old astra estate for the dog and my missus was going to work in it a few months ago.
She was sat in standing traffic and her foot slipped off the clutch,bumped into the 4x4 in front of her,im guessing 5mph bump.
The guy was ok about it and they swapped details for us to call him at the night time,as the only damage to the 4x4 was the spare wheel cover was scraped where the astra bonnet had touched it..

I called hima nd went round to his house at the night time.He wanted it to go through insurance although i had already priced an OEM cover at £80,and i offered to pay for his "inconvenience"...
Week later he called me and said that his lowest insurance quote was £2000 and he wanted to get it fixed at an appoved bodyshop.. Fair enough,all the insurance companies were informed and that was the end of it.......

UNTIL...........we renewed our insurance on the BMW a month later.My missus is a named driver on my policy.I have max no claims and protected. But because she had a pending claim the insurance went up by £80.. Not a massive amount but considering that the policy cost £320,but £400 after the bump its a fair increase..

Not good
Old 27 August 2010, 09:23 AM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

Expect £2-2.5k easy, as he will more than likely insist it's fixed by BMW, (as I would).

If you have PNCB how much will your insurance really go up, £100 maybe?
Old 27 August 2010, 10:33 AM
mamoon2
Scooby Regular

A bodyshop will fix this for around £60 a panel if you tell them you are trade. I pay £50 per panel for repair and paint.

I can't see there being much damage, bit of filler and a spray should have it sorted

You shouldn't be looking at more than £150
Old 27 August 2010, 10:43 AM
jasey
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by neil1980
M8 wont affect you next year wot so ever 1 claim like that is sweet fa to a insurance co been through it my self.
Indeed.

Once "nudged" a Korean POS - There was a tiny scratch on my bumper which I left - gave the car character .

Wifey's POS car was £1,500 to repair (through insurance).

My insurance went up a little but not too much.
Old 27 August 2010, 10:44 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should have put him in touch with NSR: After first ridiculing a fella for driving a poofta's car we could have then advised him that there was no need for a claim as any damage will polish out.

Hope you get sorted
Old 27 August 2010, 12:46 PM
fatscoobfella1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mamoon2
A bodyshop will fix this for around £60 a panel if you tell them you are trade. I pay £50 per panel for repair and paint.

I can't see there being much damage, bit of filler and a spray should have it sorted

You shouldn't be looking at more than £150
Are you serious ?
Old 27 August 2010, 01:23 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

He is - they use Polyfilla and Dulux

What people might be forgetting is that third party claims are usually handled by Accident Exchange. If a car needs paint then you will need to provide a courtesy car of the same car type for at least two if not three days. There's £300-500 gone already!

If it was my car I would use AE (as I did with my wife's car) and I would insist on as new.

As for the insurance - std is correct - the real impact will be on the 370 insurance as it will effectively have no no-claims bonus.
Old 27 August 2010, 01:48 PM
fatscoobfella1
Scooby Regular

As a rule prep and paint is £200-£250 a panel.

Thats without any repairs or replacements....

We liase with 2 bodyshops daily and this seems to be the going rate for a good job.

If you take VAT,income tax and materials etc out of a £50 a panel repair,then profit must be approx £0.80p
Old 27 August 2010, 01:48 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

They certainly don't sell thmselves short these days when it comes to charging for repair.

I would always try to avoid claiming on the insurance it I could because once they have got something on you they never forget it. Obviously depends on the actual cost involved but I would certainly consider paying for it personally if there is not that much in it.

Les
Old 27 August 2010, 02:51 PM
mamoon2
Scooby Regular

As a rule prep and paint is £200-£250 a panel.

Thats without any repairs or replacements....

We liase with 2 bodyshops daily and this seems to be the going rate for a good job.

If you take VAT,income tax and materials etc out of a £50 a panel repair,then profit must be approx £0.80p
£200-£250

Well I use two different spray shops for my cars (part time trader) and going rate is indeed £50/60 per panel. Cost is slightly more if repair is not a simple one. These are independent bodyshops btw. Oh and it's Manchester so probably cheaper than down south.

As an example, i've just had a Seat Leon tailgate and wing repaired and sprayed. They needed extra time spent on them due to the large dents that needed repairing. Total cost £180 no VAT

Quick Reply: Just had a bump. Advise required