Search this Thread

Old 16 August 2010, 06:02 PM
Ant
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motorola has antennagate issues

takes the light off apple for a while

http://www.redmondpie.com/motorola-d...ing-the-phone/

Unless you have been living under a rock or something, you already know what Antennagate is all about. The problem came into light when iPhone 4 was launched in June of this year. It occurs when you hold your phone in a way which covers the antenna, resulting in signal loss, poor reception and dropped calls. And now the latest Android sensation of Verizon, the newly released Motorola Droid 2 falls victim to it.

According to MobileCrunch, Droid 2 users are facing the Antennagate problem and the weird part is that it happens without even touching the phone. Users are constantly noticing fluctuating bars from time to time during normal usage, and it’s not happening because of phone being held wrong, it happens even when it’s just lying around on a table. But the problem is not common among all Droid 2 users, some have reported that their device is working fine for them.

iPhone 4 problem was fixed (or partially fixed) by either holding the phone in a different position, using a case or a bumper which was given by Apple for free, and by updating to new iOS 4.0.1 / 4.0.2 software update, but since Droid 2 is dropping signals even without touching the phone, the problem seems more complicated and technical here for Motorola and Verizon. So what are they going to do to resolve it? Send out a software update to fix the algorithm which calculates the signal bars like Apple did? Or replace the handsets with brand new ones? [via MobileCrunch]
Old 17 August 2010, 10:48 AM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

I didn't know people even bought Motorola phones anymore, well except basic PAYG phones
Old 17 August 2010, 12:55 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I think alot of phones suffer from it. I know my Samsung does. One minute its 4 bars, then a second later it drops to 1 or no signal without moving the phone. I assumed it was a dodgy contact between the PCBs (if anyone has disassembled a phone, they'll know what I mean ), but maybe its an actual design fault with the way its held?

I also think the software on many phones give a optimistic false or inaccurate signal readings (i.e giving 4 out of 5 bars when signal is really only 25%), so that it gets good review ratings. Much like many quoting upto 400hours standby which most smart phones alledge to be capeable of...tell me one modern smartphone that comes close to 400hours (thats 16 days) standby?

TBH I think the industry needs shaking up with the measurments of each phone's technical ability regarding signal and battery life. Because manufacturers (and network providers) are just bullsh**ting us. Standardised DIN or EN test methods should be made to sort it out.

(although I know in other areas its been proven to be just as easy to bulls**t with false figures....Hi-Fi ouput ratings and vehicle MPG being two classic examples).

Last edited by ALi-B; 17 August 2010 at 01:02 PM.
Old 17 August 2010, 03:32 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

It would have been a funnier story if it was HTC
Old 17 August 2010, 04:46 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

HTC phones have the same problem, but they're not Apple so don't matter.
Old 17 August 2010, 04:50 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

I can honestly say i have never noticed the phenomenon on my HTC, but i do hold the phone a pretty unorthadox type of way.

Phone in right hand and held up to the right ear
Old 17 August 2010, 04:54 PM
MMT WRX
Scooby Regular

I haven't either with my HTC.
Old 17 August 2010, 06:18 PM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JackClark
HTC phones have the same problem, but they're not Apple so don't matter.
Apple bring these things on themselves to an extent though with all the Hype/ Media frenzy they try to create, no other phone company puts as much effort into this as Apple
Old 18 August 2010, 01:35 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Jamescsti
Apple bring these things on themselves to an extent though with all the Hype/ Media frenzy they try to create, no other phone company puts as much effort into this as Apple
I agree, but the good news is that Apple live up to the hype. RIM hyped the bejeesus out of the Torch and it's a bit poo.

If you can't make your HTC phone lose signal, try holding it differently, works with iPhones.
Old 18 August 2010, 06:18 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Jamescsti
Don't forget the fan base, as huge as it is. Some of their followers just can't be reasoned with. Bit like Sony fanboys some really are very blinkered to other brands and what they have to offer.

I think it all dates back the computer/console era of the 80 and 90s. My Amiga is better than your ST, and my C64 is better than your Speccy and anyone with a BBC Micro at home was deemed to be the IT teacher's **se kisser. These people are now all in their 30s, and just as **** (me included however, I try to keep an open mind). The ones who are in their 20's are just brainwashed IMO.

Last edited by ALi-B; 18 August 2010 at 06:20 PM.
Old 18 August 2010, 07:14 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Love them or hate them, everyone hypes Apple.
Old 18 August 2010, 07:27 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Don't forget the fan base, as huge as it is. Some of their followers just can't be reasoned with. Bit like Sony fanboys some really are very blinkered to other brands and what they have to offer.

I think it all dates back the computer/console era of the 80 and 90s. My Amiga is better than your ST, and my C64 is better than your Speccy and anyone with a BBC Micro at home was deemed to be the IT teacher's **se kisser. These people are now all in their 30s, and just as **** (me included however, I try to keep an open mind). The ones who are in their 20's are just brainwashed IMO.
Hey! My ST was better than your Amiga
Old 18 August 2010, 07:52 PM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

But niether where a patch on my ZX81
Old 18 August 2010, 07:53 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by b13bat
But niether where a patch on my ZX81
nice one
Old 19 August 2010, 06:53 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

What people dont really realise, is that they get "branded" by manufacturers, by various means, to brand a customer is like marketing gold, a branded punter will overlook any flaws, and will enthusiastically tell others about the plus points, the flaws do not exist, if they somehow manage to do, they dont effect normal use at all.

Going to try and hold the phone different as a test.
Left hand, held up to left ear

Thoughts, it feels a little weird, i feel like i am in the danger zone still works though
Will give my body time to rest and maybe try the right hand, held up to the left ear
Old 19 August 2010, 09:25 AM
Glowplug
Scooby Regular

Seems a little worse than the IP4 The Motorola drops both wifi and 3g signal as and when it feels like it. No official word fron either Motorola or Verizon but some users seem to be having success by using an available app called 'wifi keep alive' which could point to the problem being s/w rather than h/w and could be fixed by a s/w update
Old 19 August 2010, 10:19 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Probably some sort of power management to save the battery, a common fault that is as old as the hills

I've lost count of the number of phones that have no signal in my house whilst in standby (won't even recieve calls), but after attempting to make a call or send a text, it suddenly regains a signal.
Old 19 August 2010, 12:31 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

The aerial system is a bit of a compromise with all of them by virtue of the basic design of the 'phone. The better type of aerial is probably a vertical one but that probably wont fit in with modern 'phone design so I imagine they use a dipole design around the edge of the casing. The electrical capacity of the hand can easily detune the aerial, especially if the hand is covering the two dipole ends. I can detune one of my ham radio aerials just by putting my hand close to it.

If the signal strength varies while the phone is sitting on the table not being touched it is very likely due to blanking of the signal maybe even by passing traffic. I notice a similar effect on my FM radio when a bus goes past. I only use the inbuilt radio aerial so the signal reception can easily be affected.

You have to expect such variation if the design of the phone dictates an inferior aerial.

Les