Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Apple: The cracks are starting to appear...

Search this Thread

Old 09 August 2010, 04:59 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Apple: The cracks are starting to appear...

The Apple executive who oversaw development of the troubled iPhone 4 is leaving the company.

Mark Papermaster has been head of Apple's iPhone and iPod hardware engineering department since 2009 when he joined the company from IBM.

His departure is widely believed to be linked to the problems with the antenna on the iPhone 4.....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-10912268

[PissFlapsLewis Mode On]Oh dear! [Off]
Old 09 August 2010, 05:15 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Low news day.

Nokia closed another factory I hear.
Old 09 August 2010, 05:31 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JackClark
Low news day.

Nokia closed another factory I hear.
Well done, you have passed the test
Old 09 August 2010, 05:32 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

So did you, no such thing as bad publicity.

http://techcrunch.com/2010/08/08/iphone-4-antennagate/
Old 09 August 2010, 05:36 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Old 09 August 2010, 06:07 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Coffee/monitor moment.
Old 09 August 2010, 06:10 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

I like the satellite, could have used that last week. And before you all start I was in the middle of nowhere not the middle of a large town

Trending Topics

Old 09 August 2010, 06:12 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Actually, Apple should be selling those accessories - NEVER give them away with the item

Could make a fortune

Mind you, it could be VERY painful if you've got it in your front pocket OUCH!
Old 09 August 2010, 09:57 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

There are some interesting albeit unconfirmed rumors from some reliable

sources re apple doing the rounds at the mo.

One is that they will release the iphone 5 in Jan/Feb next year due to the

current furore with the antenna issue.

Mart
Old 09 August 2010, 11:30 PM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

I reckon the reason for the delays with the white one is because they will fix the issue before it is released.
Old 10 August 2010, 12:29 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

< fanboy mode on >
The iPhone 4 was actually being tested about 6 to 12 months prior to this chappy coming to Apple, so he's not directly responsible for the initial stages and foul ups. It is said one of the reasons for him going is that he could not adapt to the Apple culture, eg; severe micro-management of even the smallest of issues, things that at other companies you would delegate, but at Apple you as manager have to deal with.
< fanboy mode off >
Old 10 August 2010, 07:22 AM
SteveShort
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Coffin Dodger

His departure is widely believed to be linked to the problems with the antenna on the iPhone 4.....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-10912268

[PissFlapsLewis Mode On]Oh dear! [Off]

This is the kind of cut and paste journalism I was mentioning a while back. In accurate as well. Look at Markus's comments to see the real truth.

Originally Posted by mart360
There are some interesting albeit unconfirmed rumors from some reliable

sources re apple doing the rounds at the mo.

One is that they will release the iphone 5 in Jan/Feb next year due to the

current furore with the antenna issue.

Mart
That will not happen, it is not in their iphone release schedule. The one that might be released is one for the chinese and verizon market as it uses the CDMA technology

Originally Posted by subaruturbo_18
I reckon the reason for the delays with the white one is because they will fix the issue before it is released.
The problem seems to be light leaking from the case which is more apparent in the white case
Old 10 August 2010, 07:53 AM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Markus
< fanboy mode on >
The iPhone 4 was actually being tested about 6 to 12 months prior to this chappy coming to Apple, so he's not directly responsible for the initial stages and foul ups. It is said one of the reasons for him going is that he could not adapt to the Apple culture, eg; severe micro-management of even the smallest of issues, things that at other companies you would delegate, but at Apple you as manager have to deal with.
< fanboy mode off >
Took him a long time to find out he couldnt cope lol
Old 10 August 2010, 11:49 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Seems a bit like sacking a foot ball club manager to me. Its never anyone else's fault when it all goes wrong.

Les
Old 10 August 2010, 12:22 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

From the other things I have read, he was out of the loop for quite some time before leaving. My guess is that after the whole antenna thing came about they did not want to fire him right away as it would cause the media to assume it was because of the iPhone 4, and he was responsible for the failure, Apple knew about it, blah, blah, blah.

If you look at the press info for near and on launch iPhone 4 stuff from Apple, I don't think he's mentioned at all, and if so, only in a very small measure. If you're head of the iPhone devision then you would usually be right there spouting it's praises, very odd that he wasn't.

I'm not saying there isn't a problem, clearly there is, but I think it is blown out of proportion, which is what the media tends to do, cliched I know, but you always hear about the bad far more than the good. Anyone defending the "good" is instantly a fanboy or clouded, etc...

I seem to remember reading something that pointed to the majority of antenna problems being in the US, which has a single carrier for the iPhone, AT&T, and it's known their network isn't as good as it could/should be, dropped calls, etc, so it would not aid any problem.

As for the iPhone 5 rumours, I think it more likely to be a CDMA version for Verizon and perhaps other countries who want CDMA. One hopes it's not just a CDMA phone, it'd be nice to have GSM and CDMA, but I'm not sure if there is space in there for it. I'd find it very confusing on a consumer level to have two phones, especially if unlocked, as people would not "get" why they cannot use their verizon phone on AT&T, it's unlocked for use on any network.

As said by others, it does not hit the usual release schedule and Apple would have to provide the phone for free, or at a seriously silly discount to any iPhone 4 users if it were simply to address the antenna issue. They would also have to force the carriers to give free hardware upgrades and that would seriously nark of the greedy carriers. It just won't happen. If it's not free then there will be a serious uproar and Apple's image will be severely tarnished. Steve isn't totally stupid and would avoid that. He could have not held the press conference and stuck out a letter about the issue.
Old 10 August 2010, 12:23 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

From the other things I have read, he was out of the loop for quite some time before leaving. My guess is that after the whole antenna thing came about they did not want to fire him right away as it would cause the media to assume it was because of the iPhone 4, and he was responsible for the failure, Apple knew about it, blah, blah, blah.

If you look at the press info for near and on launch iPhone 4 stuff from Apple, I don't think he's mentioned at all, and if so, only in a very small measure. If you're head of the iPhone devision then you would usually be right there spouting it's praises, very odd that he wasn't.

I'm not saying there isn't a problem, clearly there is, but I think it is blown out of proportion, which is what the media tends to do, cliched I know, but you always hear about the bad far more than the good. Anyone defending the "good" is instantly a fanboy or clouded, etc...

I seem to remember reading something that pointed to the majority of antenna problems being in the US, which has a single carrier for the iPhone, AT&T, and it's known their network isn't as good as it could/should be, dropped calls, etc, so it would not aid any problem.

As for the iPhone 5 rumours, I think it more likely to be a CDMA version for Verizon and perhaps other countries who want CDMA. One hopes it's not just a CDMA phone, it'd be nice to have GSM and CDMA, but I'm not sure if there is space in there for it. I'd find it very confusing on a consumer level to have two phones, especially if unlocked, as people would not "get" why they cannot use their verizon phone on AT&T, it's unlocked for use on any network.

As said by others, it does not hit the usual release schedule and Apple would have to provide the phone for free, or at a seriously silly discount to any iPhone 4 users if it were simply to address the antenna issue. They would also have to force the carriers to give free hardware upgrades and that would seriously nark of the greedy carriers. It just won't happen. If it's not free then there will be a serious uproar and Apple's image will be severely tarnished. Steve isn't totally stupid and would avoid that. He could have not held the press conference and stuck out a letter about the issue.
Old 10 August 2010, 02:24 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

As said by others, it does not hit the usual release schedule
And whats that got to do with anything?, there the supplier, they can and do what they want.

Apple would have to provide the phone for free
They didn't last time they did an early release, iphone to iphone 3G

or at a seriously silly discount to any iPhone 4 users if it were simply to address the antenna issue.
Aint life a bitch,

They would also have to force the carriers to give free hardware upgrades and that would seriously nark of the greedy carriers.
This comes from the company who negotiated a cut of all data download revenue from the carriers lol

It just won't happen.
Your the head honcho at apple then are you

If it's not free then there will be a serious uproar and Apple's image will be severely tarnished.
And it isn't now???

Look at MS with the Xbox, they denied anything was wrong and quoted

statistics till they came out of there *rse, but it didnt fix the problem

When they did partially come clean, They spent millions on the 3 year

warranty & refunds to customers who had had to pay out multiple times for

fixes

One things for sure, this one.s going to run and run

Mart
Old 10 August 2010, 02:35 PM
SteveShort
Scooby Regular

Mart

There will be no release of an iPhone 5 any earlier than July.

regards

Steve

Old 10 August 2010, 03:11 PM
stevejobs
BANNED

Hi everyone

A lot of people are misinformed.
There will be some updates coming soon

Steve
Old 10 August 2010, 03:15 PM
mart360