Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Insuring/taxing a car I dont own..

Search this Thread

Old 03 August 2010, 08:44 PM
Scumbag
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Insuring/taxing a car I dont own..

My Dad is struggling after a couple of strokes, and wants me to sell his car for him (he's 76, and wont be driving again). His car is currently declared as a SORN case, and is in his garage (it's currently not insured at all). In order to sell it, I'm going to need to somehow insure it, MOT it, and tax it (unless some mug wants to buy a 5 year-old Saab 9-5 without a test drive!)

My Dad is the registered owner, but I dont think he will be able to insure it after the strokes. However I can probably insure it on my policy. What I dont know is whether I can then get the car taxed...the SORN/renewal will be in my Dads name...can I then use the insurance certificate in my name to get the car tax?

Any thoughts welcome

Cheers
SB
Old 03 August 2010, 08:50 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Add it to your policy ..... and risk the tax for the test drive ...... that's what I would do - AFTER I had advertised it as is, may be someone who will buy without test drive given the situation.
Old 03 August 2010, 08:51 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how much you looking for it mate?
Old 03 August 2010, 10:35 PM
ronjeramy
Scooby Regular

Insure it in your name, take in just the green slip off the reg doc and fill on your details on it. That is the only way you will be able to do it.
Old 03 August 2010, 10:57 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Insure it in your name, but add your father as a named driver, then you can tax it using the existing SORN document, although I personally would take the risk and test drive it without.

Also as Dave says, anyone wishing to test pilot the car should provide written evidence of their own insurance.
Old 04 August 2010, 07:45 AM
ritchie21
Scooby Regular

I got my first car shortly before I turned 17. I insured it in my dad's name and then taxed it without any problems, even though the car was registered in my name. As long as the insurance know that when you insure it you are not the registered keeper, you will be fine. Tax it online after the insurance-they simply check the insurance database to find out whether the car has a valid insurance policy and will post the disc out to you.

Trending Topics

Old 04 August 2010, 10:16 AM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

I'm with the 'don't worry about the sorn' brigade. Use a temporary insurance company to give the car its own policy so it is legally covered there (someone like day insure) then get it an MOT. You can't tax it without doing that anyway and it will look more attractive to a buyer.

Can't see why it wouldn't pass but only other option is a 'sold as seen' and you'll lose a fair bit.

You could also see if someone locally who knows him/the car would be interested and then all he has to do is sign the forms.

5t.
Old 04 August 2010, 10:19 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Is it MOT'd?

If so i would risk the tax for a test drive but without an mot then no, get it mot'd locally to your dad/you first, also this will help no end with price and the sale.

Without prying too much is your dad OK to drive now he has had a series of 'episodes', doctor not told him to stop driving and informed plod/dvla???
Old 04 August 2010, 10:21 AM
Spec'c'57
Scooby Regular

Insure it as above in your name, tax it online. tax disc sent to dads house simples.
Old 04 August 2010, 11:21 AM
Simon K
Scooby Regular

What sort of 9-5 is it ?? Auto ? Saloon ?? Im after a 4 door car.

SBK
Old 04 August 2010, 02:36 PM
fivetide
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood
Is it MOT'd?
I'm going to need to somehow insure it, MOT it, and tax it
To get it on the road for an mot (pre booked) you need to insure it. Day Insure should allow you to do that.

5t.
Old 04 August 2010, 02:55 PM
scoobyster
Scooby Regular

Had the same situation with my uncle. He wasn't fit to drive but hadn't informed the DVLA or fuzz and as such we were able to insure it in his name with me as the named main driver (thereby using his NCB which meant a big saving since I was 24 and my own NCB was tied up for my own car). We could then tax and MOT the car legitimately without issue, and since he was never going to drive the car to facilitate having an accident, the insurance co was never going to find out he was unfit to drive.
Old 04 August 2010, 03:26 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

If you do use a short term insurance policy to get the MOT, then tax it and the insurance runs out as its only a day policy beware that anyone who comes for a test drive will not be able to drive the vehicle without a specific policy for that vehicle rather than using their "can drive any vehicle" bit of their regular policy for the test drive.

Its unlikely you would get caught - but it would only take for you to drive past a police car with ANPR....
HTH.