Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Riding a bike on a footpath

Search this Thread

Old 26 July 2010, 02:36 PM
Turbo2
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Riding a bike on a footpath

When I was a kid I only got into "trouble" once with the Law. I was collared by a local policeman for riding my bicycle on the footpath in our local town centre. I never did it again.

The cycling proficiency test also drilled it into us that footpaths are strictly for pedestrians only and bikes for the road and as far as I can remember the Highway Code said the same. So that's where I stayed.

So how come it's now considered perfectly normal for people to just ride around on the footpath all day? In fact I rarely see a kid riding on the road any more.

OK so there's generally more traffic around now, but unless the Law has changed, I don't see why cyclists should be allowed to ride on the footpath.
Old 26 July 2010, 02:49 PM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

They aren't.

It is illegal to ride on a footpath and you can be fined. The only time you 'can' is when you are directly accessing a shared cycle/footpath.

Discretion is used though, and if the cyclist shows consideration for pedestrians, it's usually not enforced.

The problem for everyone are the kamikaze brigade that use the footpath as a shortcut to avoid traffic / other impedimentia.

Drives me nuts when I see the pavement hopping lot in full flow. Some numpty took exception to me being quicker than him when cycling in to work one morning and proceeded to barrel down the pavement when I was slowed down by traffic
Old 26 July 2010, 02:50 PM
CAT2
Scooby Regular

This drives me nuts too. I was also nicked for doing this as a child and as far as I'm aware, the law hasn't changed. So how come it is absolutely commonplace to see cyclists on footpaths now? I've seen them ride past police without the slightest issue several times.

Don't even get me started on cyclist behaviour at traffic lights (that is the ones who don't just switch to the pavement) When did cyclists decide they had a moral right to do what they want AND look down their nose at virtually every other road user (including slower/more sensible cyclists)?

I must say that the worst offenders seem to be "serious" lycra-clad thirty-something males.

Last edited by CAT2; 26 July 2010 at 02:52 PM.
Old 26 July 2010, 02:58 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

LOL here we go again.
Old 26 July 2010, 03:51 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

I try to stay "off-road" whenever possible

Usually on muddy tracks etc. though. Must say if it makes things safer then kids should be allowed to ride on the pavement. Roads are pretty dodgy these days, nearly every time I venture onto them with the bike I seem to have some sort of near miss - horse box vs. oncoming Landrover last time while overtaking me

Did you know that your only allowed to ride your mountain bike when off road on bridleways, by-ways and roads used as public paths (RUPPs), not on footpaths.
Old 26 July 2010, 04:05 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's the mongs in their shopmobility spakka chariots that annoy the **** out of me. Some clot nearly mowed me down on the pavement last week, doing well over 10mph in a pedestrian area. I can't sodding well hear your electric motor if you come tanking up behind me! Maybe you wouldn't be so bloody fat if you walked you lazy inconsiderate scumbag.

Sorry. I feel better now that's out of the system
Old 26 July 2010, 04:20 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Coffin Dodger
Did you know that your only allowed to ride your mountain bike when off road on bridleways, by-ways and roads used as public paths (RUPPs), not on footpaths.
Er yeah, didn't everyone know this? Isn't footpath a bit of a giveaway as to it's use?
Old 26 July 2010, 04:27 PM
pimmo2000
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My Dad is 66 and rides on the pavement, he stops when ever he gets near anyone and gets off his bike.

He's had a few comments, including from me .. but he's willing to risk a fine as he doesn't feel the roads are safe for him and to be honest the speed he goes he couldn't kill a snail ..
Old 26 July 2010, 04:34 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

elbows
Old 26 July 2010, 05:18 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Generally "proper" cyclists are going too fast for the pavement, its usually kids, the elderley and the perpetually terrified on the pavements, I very rarely go on the pavement unless stopping to go to the shops and I ride up and get off, also a very dodgy junction on the way to work, offset crossroads across a busy A road, bad enough in a car, on a bike, no chance, so I ride round on the pavement, or at least coast at walking pace as I dont want to injure anyone or appear inconsiderate, its about ten yards and there is never anyone on it anyway, if there is I pull over, get off or move out of their way. I am very polite whne pedestrians are blocking the single tracks I use, i just say excuse me and wait, its so easy to be like that, you dont loose any time and people do sometimes remember and are polite back, failing that do it for the Karma !

There was some spong on a motorised Scooter going round the common near us last night, flat out, then on the way back on the pavements, he was about thirty as well, trying to look cool, just looked an inconsiderate dick, I did think it would be fun to punch him on the way past, wouldnt have even had to swing
Old 26 July 2010, 05:23 PM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

When I was a kid I was stopped by the police for not having any lights at night, bollocked and then frog marched home. These days the police do not bother even when these kids are doing 20 mph+ on the pavement at night with no lights.
Old 26 July 2010, 08:01 PM
CAT2
Scooby Regular

LMAO @ SJ Skyline.
Old 26 July 2010, 10:25 PM
TheVoices
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Steinerline !
Old 26 July 2010, 10:37 PM
CAT2
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TheVoices
Steinerline !
Eh?? Having read the whole of your "never-ending engine woes" thread last night, I appreciate that you're not quite the full shilling but am I missing something? Steinerline??
Old 27 July 2010, 11:53 AM
austinwrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SJ_Skyline
It's the mongs in their shopmobility spakka chariots that annoy the **** out of me. Some clot nearly mowed me down on the pavement last week, doing well over 10mph in a pedestrian area. I can't sodding well hear your electric motor if you come tanking up behind me! Maybe you wouldn't be so bloody fat if you walked you lazy inconsiderate scumbag.

I agree.

aka as council go carts.

you can cycle on anything, but not pavements.

I cycle once/twice a week with a lawyer. He knows the law ! we get this crap from folk when they find us on footpaths (i.e over moors and such like) I don't mean pavements in town.
Old 27 July 2010, 12:14 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Did it occur to you that there might be a very good reason for him having to use an electric transporter. Most people would much prefer to walk to do their shopping rather than one of those.

You always have to consider that one day you might be forced to use one of those.

Les
Old 27 July 2010, 12:19 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Cyclists should not use the footpath and it is right that it is illegal. It gets to the stage where many of them think they have priority over pedestrians and they are usually the ones who go belting along jumping up and down if pedestrians don't jump out of their path. Ill mannered and selfish trogs I reckon.

Les
Old 27 July 2010, 12:22 PM
Hanley
Scooby Regular

mongs in their shopmobility spakka chariots

Quote of the week!!

Quality
Old 27 July 2010, 09:12 PM
TheVoices
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Smile

Originally Posted by CAT2
Eh?? Having read the whole of your "never-ending engine woes" thread last night, I appreciate that you're not quite the full shilling but am I missing something? Steinerline??
Rick and Scott Steiner are / were american wrestlers, one of their trademark moves was the 'Steinerline'.

This involved bouncing an opponent off the ropes and extending a rigid arm to hit them in the throat when they bounced back !

Just one of the random thoughts that passes through my mind when I see selfish d**kheads on bikes riding on the pavement.
Old 27 July 2010, 09:23 PM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davyboy
LOL here we go again.
Go on then, I'll bite.
Here we go again what?
Old 27 July 2010, 10:01 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

We got to several pages last time lycra louts were metioned!
Old 27 July 2010, 10:03 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, and they still doing it, this time side-by-side, whilst I'm out running; ended up back in the road
Old 27 July 2010, 10:17 PM
TheVoices
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Double Steinerline ?
Old 27 July 2010, 10:31 PM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

Davyboy

Shouldn't cyclists be on the road though?
To be fair, cycles themselves cause a fair old mangle when they hit pedestrians.
Old 27 July 2010, 11:01 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Absolutely....although I have no problems with small kids on paths.

...whats your thoughts on riding 2 abreast
Old 27 July 2010, 11:27 PM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

a little selfish I think, but it's hardly as serious as statutory rape in the grand scheme of things.
I thought in the good ol days you were pretty much allowed to ride on the pavement until you were about 7...
Old 27 July 2010, 11:59 PM
LEUVEN
Scooby Regular

Not heard the rant at cyclists for being on the road and to get off because they don't pay road tax etc... still time I guess.

OK I'll say it

Cyclists shouldn't be on the fe**ing road in the first place as they don't even pay road tax even though we have to in our cars.
Old 28 July 2010, 01:41 AM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
Did it occur to you that there might be a very good reason for him having to use an electric transporter. Most people would much prefer to walk to do their shopping rather than one of those.

You always have to consider that one day you might be forced to use one of those.

Les
Have I told the storey about the lardy heffer from Mansfield Woodhouse who rides her 'spakka chariot' along the A38 to McDonalds, always wearing the same nightie, loads it up with enough burgers to feed an army and then rides back up the A38 to Woodhouse?

Tonight there was even some chav hanging on to the back of it
Old 28 July 2010, 08:05 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyWon't
Have I told the storey about the lardy heffer from Mansfield Woodhouse who rides her 'spakka chariot' along the A38 to McDonalds, always wearing the same nightie, loads it up with enough burgers to feed an army and then rides back up the A38 to Woodhouse?

Tonight there was even some chav hanging on to the back of it
She obviously wasn't doing that when I lived near there. We have a few of those around here but they do use the main road only and don't seem to get in anybody's way. All the drivers take care when they are near them, but that is typical of the South West.

Les
Old 28 July 2010, 08:08 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

The local community coppers around this way are always riding around on the pavement.

Quick Reply: Riding a bike on a footpath