http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Bus...By_The_Company

Share loss estimated at $10bn, and now another few million for a bumper to

fix the design fault

Mart
Old 16 July 2010, 07:07 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

Is anyone or anything perfect Mart. Why are you even bothering to post this?

Did you see the images of pretty much every popular smartphone exhibiting the same behaviour, are those manufacturers ignoring the "issue"?
Old 16 July 2010, 07:52 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well judging by the way you defend anything apple Jack, you seem to think they are

Many people on here have given fair and honest reviews on the various apple offerings, ipod or iphone,

But in each case you dismiss whats said as not relevant, because you don't deem it worthy.

Ive commented on how i like my ipod touch, but don't like the fact the browser / OS doesn't support flash, you then dismiss it as not relevant
if i recall ..

Originally Posted by JackClark
And as for flash, you can keep it, apart from youtube, which is covered by the Youtube app what flash would you miss if your fancy phone dropped flash? Adverts are all I see.

Flash is unnecessary Mart, why bother adding an a layer to everything, browsers have moved on and are now capable of displaying everything that flash can on their own. It's going to die so why start supporting it now. I don't miss the crappy adverts that make up 90% of Flash content.
So because JackClark doesn't like it no one else can

No company is perfect Jack, we all accept that but most companys

dont stand there and tell people that dare to complain, that there holding

the phone wrongly lol , and expect them to leave it at that.

Mart
Old 16 July 2010, 08:02 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Are you still sore about Flash dying a death? What exactly is it that's making you cry, **** videos or some silly game? Maybe you like the adverts?? Neither of those need flash Mart, you will get over it.
Old 16 July 2010, 08:07 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

It would be nice to see bbc news videos.....a website I use a lot (not when mobile), and get frustrated as I can't view much of it's content.
Old 16 July 2010, 08:09 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Give them time Davyboy, they've just redesigned their website, no doubt HTML5 is on the list of upgrades. They've done a great job with iPlayer.
Old 16 July 2010, 08:11 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Here's their dev page if you want to track it. http://open.bbc.co.uk/rad/projects/html5

Trending Topics

Old 16 July 2010, 08:32 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Are you still sore about Flash dying a death? What exactly is it that's making you cry, **** videos or some silly game? Maybe you like the adverts?? Neither of those need flash Mart, you will get over it.

Actually its none of the above Jack, Blinkered again!!

I watch a race series racing thats streamed live from each venue,

Given that its done on a budget, using the capablity of either the current

3G network, or the available upload bandwidth, is in itself quite an

achivement.

Given that i cant get to each venue, its great to be able to watch the

racing whilst i'm out and about, Sadly something which the iphone isn't

capable of doing.

Mart
Old 16 July 2010, 08:37 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Mart, get a grip, your iPod is a fantastic piece of kit that performs many, many functions, you shouldn't get upset about not being able to watch a certain race on it. Perhaps you could take it in hand to make a change for the better, show the people who broadcast the stream CatchupTV, they might just adopt the standard themselves when they see how good it is.

Have you tried Flash on other mobile devices by the way? If not, please do, then you may start to realise that you're better off without it.
Old 16 July 2010, 08:55 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Jack,

Flash is not dying a death. Why do you continue to say this? It is dying a death in your world because your chosen vendor has taken their ball in over it.

Eventually Flash will die a death but right NOW it isn't. As has been pointed out on this thread the world's most visited website uses it extensively for starters.

Oh and so what if someone wants to watch Flash based **** videos or play a Flash game? You are so condescending sometimes it beggars belief.

Tonight though I forgive you as I am sure you and a few other members of the Apple SN Massive are feeling a bit shocked that Apple themselves have admitted the iPhone is not perfect. Hope you all pull through OK LOL!
Old 16 July 2010, 09:04 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Mart, get a grip, your iPod is a fantastic piece of kit that performs many, many functions, you shouldn't get upset about not being able to watch a certain race on it. Perhaps you could take it in hand to make a change for the better, show the people who broadcast the stream CatchupTV, they might just adopt the standard themselves when they see how good it is.

Have you tried Flash on other mobile devices by the way? If not, please do, then you may start to realise that you're better off without it.
Yes Jack i used it no problem on the Samsung Omnia, & the N97 both stream flash seamlessly

What good it catchuptv?

its a live feed from venues around the country using ADSL or 3g

The key word being "live"

not a prerecorded stream some time later.

Mart
Old 16 July 2010, 09:23 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know why everyone gets so aerated about the iPhone, and phones in general, I haven't seen a heated debate like these regarding toasters.
Old 16 July 2010, 09:33 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
I don't know why everyone gets so aerated about the iPhone, and phones in general, I haven't seen a heated debate like these regarding toasters.
You will when Apple release the iToaster
Old 16 July 2010, 10:01 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Mart, do a bit of research, you can watch live TV on your iPod at tvcatchup.com.

F1_Fan, Flash is dying, I stand by the statement, it was fine when it was needed but we now have HTML 5.

People moan about iPhone's being proprietary, locked in, then try to defend Flash which is a proprietary and locked in product... that no one needs anymore.

It might die a slow death, but it is dying and if you want to be cutting edge you move away from it now.

I use http://clicktoflash.com/ you should try it.
Old 16 July 2010, 10:23 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Mart, do a bit of research, you can watch live TV on your iPod at tvcatchup.com.

F1_Fan, Flash is dying, I stand by the statement, it was fine when it was needed but we now have HTML 5.

People moan about iPhone's being proprietary, locked in, then try to defend Flash which is a proprietary and locked in product... that no one needs anymore.

It might die a slow death, but it is dying and if you want to be cutting edge you move away from it now.

I use http://clicktoflash.com/ you should try it.
Jeez jack you dont give in do you

I don't want quicktime,

I don't want to block flash, on the contrary i want flash

I think jack you should carry taking the blue pills and live in your iworld

me, i'm sticking with the red pill and living in the real world

Mart
Old 16 July 2010, 11:01 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mart360
Straight from the horses mouth

Mart

Mart

This is the actual quote from Steve Jobs and the slideshow

You know, we're not perfect. We know that, you know that. And phones aren't perfect either."

Notice the subtle difference.

But hey, neither are you perfect in your accurate reporting
Old 16 July 2010, 11:31 PM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

How many xbox 360's died before Microsoft admitted there was a design fault and gave every owner the option of a free replacement with warranty when they got the RROD and redesigned the internals to avoid over heating and the RROD?

Toyota have also had problems recently.

Apple aren't the first big player to have some issues and I'm sure they won't be the last.
Old 16 July 2010, 11:41 PM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Jeez!!!

We have a standard called HTML 5 that includes new audio and video tags that could ultimately repalce Flash. The thing is though only 70% of people use a browser that claims to be HTML 5 compliant and even the ones that claim to be won't be properly compliant for a good while.

New Flash sites or sites using Flash as a component are still coming online every day. The BBC use it on their news site!!! Just because we have a better standard (assuming it is actually better) waiting in the wings does not mean Flash is in any way dying yet.

As an example CSS floating and positioning was going to kill the HTML table element .... yet it's still here many years on.

I will wager that Flash will be around for at least another 5 years before its use starts to noticeably decline and I wouldn't call that dying.
Old 16 July 2010, 11:56 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

You might not see HTML 5 as a threat to Flash, but Adobe do.

http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/da...tm#riskfactors

The HTML 5 tidal wave has been given a kick start by iPhone and iPad usage, you're just too far behind the curve to see it.
Old 17 July 2010, 12:28 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

The HTML 5 tidal wave has been given a kick start by iPhone and iPad usage, you're just too far behind the curve to see it.
LOL, there you go again with the put down, but anyway to address your point. I have not said it is not a threat, I am saying it is not an immediate threat ergo Flash is not dying as you orginally put it.

Adobe aren't stupid, they are simply outlining the long term threat to one of their products in that report, but they aren't saying that's it - game over.

As an analogy the hydrogen fuel cell is a threat to the internal combustion engine, but the internal combustion engine isn't dying yet.

Just to pick you up on one point... 'the HTML 5 titdal wave has been given a kick start by the iPhone and the iPad'. Firstly the figures for usage of these products are still fairly low compared to laptops and PCs, secondly where is any evidence to show sites moving away from Flash to HTML 5 because of the iPhone/iPad rather than just because they see it as the future in general?
Old 17 July 2010, 12:46 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Usage may be be low, but uptake has been incredible I think you'll agree, stats should be easy to find. As for evidence of sites being steered towards HTML 5 by iPads/iPhones, I don't have anything concrete to hand, I haven't needed any, it's obvious.

Look me up in 5 years, if Adobe Flash is not on it's knee's then I'll suck Lemons and take a photo.
Old 17 July 2010, 06:32 AM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

I also read that there has been a 'software error' on the iphone since 2007 that shows more signal bars then there is actually signal strength.
Old 17 July 2010, 08:28 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Usage may be be low, but uptake has been incredible I think you'll agree, stats should be easy to find. As for evidence of sites being steered towards HTML 5 by iPads/iPhones, I don't have anything concrete to hand, I haven't needed any, it's obvious.

Look me up in 5 years, if Adobe Flash is not on it's knee's then I'll suck Lemons and take a photo.
And you could send it to all concerned via your i-phone...if you have a signal that is!
Old 17 July 2010, 10:19 AM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

Jack, you know **** all about HTML5. You even started a thread in Computer Related about this subject saying how great it was, I pointed out how limited it is and how it is a minimum of ten years away, you never replied back to that thread.

Flash is not dying, only Apple and Google want that to happen so they can make money from their plugins.
Old 17 July 2010, 10:26 AM
f1_fan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dedrater
I pointed out how limited it is and how it is a minimum of ten years away
Absolutely.... as I said above look at CSS2 as an example of how long this will take.
Old 17 July 2010, 10:39 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Is anyone or anything perfect Mart. Why are you even bothering to post this?

Did you see the images of pretty much every popular smartphone exhibiting the same behaviour, are those manufacturers ignoring the "issue"?
Can't help wondering if Mr Jobs has got you on a retainer!

Still seems odd to me that Apple did not find this problem out before they put it on the market. It will have cost them dearly.

If you design the aerial so that people have to put a hand round it while holdingthe phone and it is possible to bridge each end of the aerial then the capacitance will de-tune the aerial and the received signal will deteriorate. Simple rf theory and it is surprising that they overlooked it.

Les
Old 17 July 2010, 11:12 AM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

As was explained in the conference Leslie, practically all smartphones suffer from this problem. Changing the aerial design will only move the problem elsewhere. The groundbreaking design of the iPhone 4's aerial has improved reception more than it has degraded it, I very much doubt that Apple will change this.
Old 17 July 2010, 11:30 AM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SwissTony
Mart

This is the actual quote from Steve Jobs and the slideshow

Notice the subtle difference.

But hey, neither are you perfect in your accurate reporting
Swiss, we've all known for a long time that the phone isnt

perfect, its you and JC that have been in denial. the edit was to

emphasise the fact. But it is nice to see your finally accepting.

mart
Old 17 July 2010, 12:00 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

You need to get out more Mart, how about Computer Related, not much of a trip. There you'll see multiple mentions from me of a real issue that's affecting me.

Yes I will tell you that the iPhone is the best Smartphone on the market, but I won't tell you it's absolutely perfect in every way. Although it's getting there with the iPhone 4.

Quick Reply: "We're not perfect and neither are our phones."