Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

iPhone has moved the game forward once more!

Search this Thread

Old 08 June 2009, 10:59 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts
Default iPhone has moved the game forward once more!

Nice work Apple.

Apple - iPhone - A Guided Tour
Old 08 June 2009, 11:01 PM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I WILL be getting one for sure.
Old 08 June 2009, 11:04 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Can someone tell me what the main advantage the 3GS has over the normal iPhone (doubt I could stand sitting through a 15min commercial video )?

Last edited by ALi-B; 08 June 2009 at 11:05 PM.
Old 08 June 2009, 11:04 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Im getting one !
Old 08 June 2009, 11:09 PM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
Can someone tell me what the main advantage the 3GS has over the normal iPhone (doubt I could stand sitting through a 15min commercial video )?
It has this camera zoom function that looks awesome, The video camera has a touch edit function and the thing that impressed me the most is total voice control. For instance you can say "play its raining men*" and if you have that in your play list it will go to ipod function and play it.

MMS appear on the screen in the txt conversation so its like messenger and it has longer battery life.

* I do not own a weather girls album.
Old 08 June 2009, 11:16 PM
Spooky Mulder
Scooby Regular

When can I have one?
Old 08 June 2009, 11:22 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Honestly, not being biased, but im seriously not impressed.
Not what I was expecting to see on a 15 min advert.

MMS sounds trick, fancy that, being able to send pictures by text message, whatever next.
Oh and apparently (10.20) you can ACTUALLY delete text messages. Viva la revolution!!

Seriously though, the interfaces are indeed beautiful and a work of art. But the spec for a 3rd gen device.... Is far from what I expected.

Meet the Apple iPhone 3GS, the iPhone 3G is here to stay as well - GSMArena.com news

Funky phone for sure, but I will stick with Blackberry and my inferior 5800

Enjoy guys.
Old 08 June 2009, 11:26 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

1/ Do they still instantly display SMS messages when they arrive, so anybody stood next to your desk can see them?

2/ Can you sms picture messages yet?

3/ Are they still a **** telephone?

If the answer to any or all of the above is still yes, I'll give it a miss thanks

Apple; Easily as crap as Microsoft, they just find better ways to do it
Old 08 June 2009, 11:27 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

Red face

Literally just been to O2 today and bought 3 3G IPhones on 24 month contract on the advise from the manager that the 3GS wouldn't be available for MONTHS!!

Thank God for the 14 day cool off period - they are going back at the weekend and I'll pick up the new version on the 19th June!!!
Old 08 June 2009, 11:27 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CrisPDuk
1/ Do they still instantly display SMS messages when they arrive, so anybody stood next to your desk can see them?

2/ Can you sms picture messages yet?

3/ Are they still a **** telephone?

If the answer to any or all of the above is still yes, I'll give it a miss thanks

Apple, easily as crap as Microsoft, they just find better ways to do it :
2/ yes they have invented something called MMS, Media Messaging Service , trick huh!
Old 08 June 2009, 11:30 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nat21
wow 3.2 meg camera

Apple FAIL as usual.

Consumer FAIL even more for being sucked in.

its a lovely piece of equipment, but im far from impressed at the latest spec.

Originally Posted by jods

Literally just been to O2 today and bought 3 3G IPhones on 24 month contract on the advise from the manager that the 3GS wouldn't be available for MONTHS!!
lol thats one way of getting rid of old stock for ya.
Old 08 June 2009, 11:38 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

Snazy - The wife is giving me plenty of neckache about this - she's old stock n all - Perhaps I should take my lead from O2
Old 08 June 2009, 11:39 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Sorry Jack how do you quantify your statement "Moving the game forward once more"?

3MP camera?
Most phones in the iphone bracket have been at 3.2 MP since launch. Most are now moving to 5MP, although thats the bottom end. 8MP & 12MP are becomming the norm now.

Voice commands?
My K750i & K800i 3-4 year old phones had voice commands on them.

MMS
Again most if not all phones in this bracket (except the iphone & iphone 3G) had mms out of the box.

Video
The rest of the bunch have started to up the anti, HD video is allready on phones released now.

So theyve brought the phone up to the spec most phones are today.
perhaps the 4 or 5 Gs xxxxxxxxx may move the game forward... there's nothing new in that lot

Mart
Old 08 June 2009, 11:42 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

lol im with you Mart.

I wanna see one of THESE kiddies !
The specifications of the device that have been revealed up to now are all pretty impressive. It packs the 1GHz CPU, we came to know since the Toshiba TG01 complemented by sweet 256 MB of RAM. The Acer F1 will also come with a thrilling 3.8" WVGA display, 3G with HSDPA and a 5 megapixel autofocus camera. There will also be a built-in GPS plus an FM radio receiver and a 3.5mm standard audio jack. Now that hardly leaves anything to be demanded, does it? Yes, there's no Wi-Fi mentioned but we guess it's part of the package as well.
Side by side would be interesting.

I dont agree for one second that the 3GS is "moving the game forward" more catching up with a few things it missed.

Not to say its not a nice device, IT IS! But not the amazing mindbending thing it was at the 1st Gen launch.

Oh I almost forgot...

Voice Command. Without knowing I cant say for sure, but I will be impressed if all those commands are done flawlessly, and without completing at least 45 mins voice training first. I will be suprised if its like that out the box.

Comparing to a current opposition model...
http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3...&idPhone1=2826

Last edited by Snazy; 08 June 2009 at 11:45 PM. Reason: Added HTC compare
Old 08 June 2009, 11:55 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nat21
All Apple things are lovely pieces of kit....but they're all low spec
Yup, in total agreement there.
But they do the trick I guess, and have a BIG market share and fanatical following too, so they are made
I will stick with the next gen BB myself. Practical, suits me
Old 09 June 2009, 02:22 AM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

I love it when "fans" not typical consumers need a 15 minute 'advert' to lure them into thinking this phone is any good, my HTC HD is still twice as good as this and my contract is coming to an end third quarter of this year.

The only game Apple have moved forward is there relentless marketing spin. I would love to see someone lay before me a tech request for company wide implementation of this devise, over everything else on the market at the minute and in the immediate future, a sacking would never happen so fast.
Old 09 June 2009, 03:01 AM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

But Apple generally win on the single most important factor for anything - 'User Experience'
Old 09 June 2009, 07:21 AM
Spooky Mulder
Scooby Regular

From my own experience of Apple v. Wintel and Apple v. HTC I have to say I am a fanboy all the way.

Just on simple things like my Macbook - it is three years old so it will surely not be 'low spec' it must be poverty spec. However when I run Windows on it (as a virtual machine) it easily beats the pants of similarly specced Wintel machines running Windows natively. (I only use the Windows example as it is very easy to compare them side by side).

Added that to the user experience. When I first got my Mac I thought, hey, it's OK nothing special. Then after a year I had to go back to using a Wintel machine supplied by my client. It was horrible - clunky, slow, crashing. Yuk!

As for HTC v iPhone. Anyone who says that there HTC is easily better than the iPhone is totally deluded or totally missing the point. I guess people who have Wintel or HTC type devices focus on the wrong thing. Show me any phone with the consistency of interaction across such a massively broad range of functionality and then I will see the iPhone has a competitor.

At present I cannot see that competitor.
Old 09 June 2009, 09:22 AM
ronjeramy
Scooby Regular

I see o2 aren't doing the upgrade like they did on the 2g to 3g, so I must asume that the 3g update does everything the 3gs does? Will the battery life and loading of apps be as quick on the 3g as the 3gs?

Last edited by ronjeramy; 09 June 2009 at 09:31 AM. Reason: It's does not dies :mad: dame you iPhone and fat fingers :D
Old 09 June 2009, 09:23 AM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Who the hell needs a camera in a phone anyway...

Sorry but that is 1 piece of redundant technology IMHO.
Old 09 June 2009, 10:04 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by **************
Always makes me laugh that as an existing iphone owner I can't have the new one until my current contract expires next year However if i'm understanding it correctly if I put the new v3 software on my 3g the only difference will be the camera/video camera and alleged better battery life on the new one? Only reason I want to upgrade is to have the 32gb so looks like i'll have to wait.
Perfect summary really. A 15 min advert to talk about the above things, and not much else.

Spooky, I know what you are saying, and totally agree, the user interfaces on the iPhone are beautiful and must be nice to use. But then I rarely find myself getting frustrated with my phone for being too slow, or not doing as I tell it anyway.

To me, its the same as eating dinner with a plastic knife and fork or silverware..... delivery is different, result is the same.

Credit where its due, Apple have always been great at enhancing the user experience. But I dont see that as moving the game forward, or creating any advances. Technology wise they have just caught up, software wise, they have stood still.
Old 09 June 2009, 10:25 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by **************
Snazy the best thing about my iphone is being able to use the web anywhere with an interface I like. Nothing else can give me that and I don't believe the Blackberry has wifi either so does not have everything an iphone has. I dislike blackberries as much as you dislike iphones
My Blackberry has WiFi, I dont use the touchscreen Storm, mainly cos i dont like touchscreen phones, although just got a Nokia 5800 lol.

There is no denying that the iPhone is a good device, I just prefer a keyboard on my phones. The Apple interfaces are indeed very nice, and "user friendly"
Just not my thing

Browsing the web on the BB is fine for me. I only do it when I am in the middle of nowhere and either bored or need something lol. So I can tolorate the smaller display.
Old 09 June 2009, 10:48 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

I'll take this over the iphone please.

Sony Ericsson - Phone portfolio - Satio
Old 09 June 2009, 11:20 AM
Spooky Mulder
Scooby Regular

I think the key thing to remember about Apple generally is that their products will succeed for the very reasons many are criticising them.

In the same way the Wii (hugely criticised on a tech spec level by PS3/Xbox fanboys) was designed for the non-gaming marketplace, Apple products are designed for the non-PC using/tech phone using marketplace.

Once you get your head around that concept then you will realise that Apples marketplace doesn't give two hoots about which phone has which techy function.

Quick Reply: iPhone has moved the game forward once more!