Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Outdoor gas grill or barbecue?

Search this Thread

Old 06 July 2010, 02:43 AM
Rat who ate the Cat
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Outdoor gas grill or barbecue?

What's your thoughts on the above, I've always used a barbecue but unfortunately it's seen better days and is falling apart due to our wet weather and it's time to replace it, so do I buy a new barbecue or go for a outdoor gas grill or gas bbq as I've heard them called?

I like the taste of barbecued food due to the charcoal smoke taste, I also like grilled food in the house, but it's not quite the same, although I hear there are wood chips you can sprinkle on the gas grills which give a similar flavour to barbecued food, also they're more convenient with flame control and less cleaning etc!

So what should I go for, a traditional Barbecue or modern outdoor gas grill?

TIA
Ratty

Edit. I meant to put a vote up but hit submit too quickly If one of the site admin team could put a poll up I'd be grateful, Thanks.

Last edited by Rat who ate the Cat; 06 July 2010 at 03:06 AM.
Old 06 July 2010, 07:23 AM
stevo7
Scooby Regular

I prefer the Gas, for the reasons you mentioned....

You want a spur of the moment BBQ, no problem, ready to cook in 5 minutes.
You want to cook for ages as people keep turning up, no problem.
you want to cook something quickly for jjst one or 2 people later on, no problem
Evening starts getting a little chilly, no problem, fire up the Gas BBQ and viola - makeshift patio heater.

I do miss the smell of a charcoal bbq sometimes, usually when I'm out and about and smell them from all directions... Thats when I usally get home and fire it up and am cooking, with a cold beer in hand within 10 or so minutes.

One word of advice.. (well a few)
I bought one of the small cheap B&Q ones, you know the one, about 60 or 70cms wide.
It has no warming grill, so make sure you get one with it (B&Q dont stock it standalone any more!)
Also, the heat is more concentrated round the middle, so the edges arent so great at cooking if you want toget a lot of food on at one time - but it does double up as a warming area, whicch lessens the 'pain' of no proper warming rack!

I bought a 15kg gas bottle - had it for about 8 or 9 years no, and still about 1/4 full!! Think I'd get a smaller, lighter 7.5kg bottle next time.
I take my BBQ to Silverstone for trackdays, and it's a ballache fitting it in the boot withthe 15kgs bottle!

Hope that helps.
Old 06 July 2010, 08:14 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Dont mess about with that **** man , this is what you need

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...00px-Braai.JPG

If you cant steal a drum , use a couple of breeze blocks - does the same thing
Old 06 July 2010, 09:38 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

1) Real men use barbecues.

2) Wimps use gas

For 1) Food is often burnt and guests have gone home by the time the food is cooked.

For 2) The food tastes about the same especially if the right sauce is poured over during cooking. Chef has more time for a drink with his guests.

I'm a wimp

But I have used one of those £5 throw away barbecues and just used that under the grills to keep the kids happy.

But I would concede that for a big do you can't beat a whole lamb or pig cooked for 6-8 hours over logs.

dl

Last edited by David Lock; 06 July 2010 at 09:39 AM.
Old 06 July 2010, 10:02 AM
stevo7
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
1) Real men use barbecues.

2) Wimps use gas

For 1) Food is often burnt and guests have gone home by the time the food is cooked.

For 2) The food tastes about the same especially if the right sauce is poured over during cooking. Chef has more time for a drink with his guests.

I'm a wimp

But I have used one of those £5 throw away barbecues and just used that under the grills to keep the kids happy.

But I would concede that for a big do you can't beat a whole lamb or pig cooked for 6-8 hours over logs.

dl
Hmmm. lemme know when you do one of those then!! I'm in WSussex too
Thats if you could stand an Evo fan at your Do!!
Old 06 July 2010, 10:27 AM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

I'm a coal man - Just because I like fire. With lumpwood rather than bricks - you can be cooking in 10 minutes and it's insanely hot.

I can see the convenience of gas - just just don't want to go to the dark side.
Old 06 July 2010, 10:37 AM
stevo7
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BlkKnight
I'm a coal man - Just because I like fire. With lumpwood rather than bricks - you can be cooking in 10 minutes and it's insanely hot.

I can see the convenience of gas - just just don't want to go to the dark side.
LOL, do you use half a bottle of BBQ lighter fluid, sprayed on from the obligatory 6 feet away so you get a nice stream of fire from the bottle!!
Old 06 July 2010, 10:38 AM
DARB
Scooby Regular

I'm a wimp and got me one of these love the convenience of gas, as said before you can cook all night long so no need for any guests to go hungry

Old 06 July 2010, 10:40 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Charcoal, every time
Old 06 July 2010, 11:13 AM
M444GY
Former Sponsor

Location: MSOCs tyre and ROTA wheel dealer .Ruisliptyres@gmail.com

coal for me and i even mine it myself hardcore
Old 06 July 2010, 12:02 PM
urban
Scooby Regular

BBQ like a man using charcoal

BBQ like a homosexual using gas
Old 06 July 2010, 12:08 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Charcoal is king, I don't think that can ever be questioned, however....

I've got a gas BBQ. It's really great to get home from work of an evening and cook a couple of chops, drumsticks, etc. with no hassle. Just turn it on, leave it for a while to heat up, and cook Added to that while our extension is getting built (new kitchen) it's really useful to be able to cook dinner out in the garden.

You do get some of the BBQ flavour as well, mine is packed with lava rock, the fat drips of the meat onto the hot rocks and gives plenty of smoke, and a good bit of flammage sometimes too
Old 06 July 2010, 12:38 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Don't they produce an additive to get the charcoal taste these days?

Les
Old 06 July 2010, 04:24 PM
kbsub
Scooby Regular

I have both , Gas gets used for cooking things in a hurray like burgers or sausages , Charcoal for things like Roast Chicken, Baby Back Ribs etc

Using a chimney starter you can get the charcoal lit as quick as it takes the Gas Grill to warm up
Old 09 July 2010, 01:20 AM
Rat who ate the Cat
BANNED

Thank you for all your replies, I've decided to build a proper all weather stone Charcoal jobby for proper barbies and maybe buy a little gas one for quick and easy outdoor dinners ets

I fancy something like this http://www.primrose.co.uk/colorado-b...gc7j87jibc2j50 for proper barbecuing as it should last years and also be a focal point in the garden too, what's your thoughts, is it too big too expensive etc?

Last edited by Rat who ate the Cat; 09 July 2010 at 01:26 AM.
Old 09 July 2010, 06:25 AM
cster
Scooby Regular

TBH, I think the main drawbacks with a gas BBQ are the size and initial outlay.
Burnt burger anyone?
Old 09 July 2010, 08:05 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

My ole dear has something like that Florida masonary thing she picked up at bricomarche or similar , in france . A put it together job , wasnt that dear tho
Old 09 July 2010, 10:03 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Rat who ate the Cat
Thank you for all your replies, I've decided to build a proper all weather stone Charcoal jobby for proper barbies and maybe buy a little gas one for quick and easy outdoor dinners ets

I fancy something like this http://www.primrose.co.uk/colorado-b...gc7j87jibc2j50 for proper barbecuing as it should last years and also be a focal point in the garden too, what's your thoughts, is it too big too expensive etc?
That's OK, but the roof and such, being metal, will either need constant maintenance, or will corrode: the smoke will do it no good at all.

How about this one: http://www.bigkproducts.co.uk/ about half way down the page.

£325 isn't bad, either, and the grills can be had in most French supermarkets if you ever need another. I have two like that, one here, one in France.

They are pre-cast concrete, you cement them together, smear the outside with wet cement to seal it, then, when it's dry, paint it.

The only thing you have to watch is using too much wood to start it: if you do, the chimney gets too hot too quick and cracks. Both mine have, and both have been repaired with a 5mm aluminium plate INSIDE, held on with two stainless coachbolts. Neither have moved since I did the repair, and the French one has now been repainted and the crack has disappeared.

Oh, btw, if you have a trailer, one like the above, or with a side stone shelf, can be had from most French supermarkets in Spring for €200 or so. Day-trip over and come back with some cheap-ish booze too?