ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum

ScoobyNet.com - Subaru Enthusiast Forum (https://www.scoobynet.com/)
-   Non Scooby Related (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/)
-   -   Outdoor gas grill or barbecue? (https://www.scoobynet.com/non-scooby-related-4/840561-outdoor-gas-grill-or-barbecue.html)

Rat who ate the Cat 06 July 2010 02:43 AM

Outdoor gas grill or barbecue?

What's your thoughts on the above, I've always used a barbecue but unfortunately it's seen better days and is falling apart due to our wet weather and it's time to replace it, so do I buy a new barbecue or go for a outdoor gas grill or gas bbq as I've heard them called?

I like the taste of barbecued food due to the charcoal smoke taste, I also like grilled food in the house, but it's not quite the same, although I hear there are wood chips you can sprinkle on the gas grills which give a similar flavour to barbecued food, also they're more convenient with flame control and less cleaning etc!

So what should I go for, a traditional Barbecue or modern outdoor gas grill?

TIA
Ratty :)

Edit. I meant to put a vote up but hit submit too quickly :( If one of the site admin team could put a poll up I'd be grateful, Thanks.

stevo7 06 July 2010 07:23 AM

I prefer the Gas, for the reasons you mentioned....

You want a spur of the moment BBQ, no problem, ready to cook in 5 minutes.
You want to cook for ages as people keep turning up, no problem.
you want to cook something quickly for jjst one or 2 people later on, no problem
Evening starts getting a little chilly, no problem, fire up the Gas BBQ and viola - makeshift patio heater.

I do miss the smell of a charcoal bbq sometimes, usually when I'm out and about and smell them from all directions... Thats when I usally get home and fire it up and am cooking, with a cold beer in hand within 10 or so minutes.

One word of advice.. (well a few)
I bought one of the small cheap B&Q ones, you know the one, about 60 or 70cms wide.
It has no warming grill, so make sure you get one with it (B&Q dont stock it standalone any more!)
Also, the heat is more concentrated round the middle, so the edges arent so great at cooking if you want toget a lot of food on at one time - but it does double up as a warming area, whicch lessens the 'pain' of no proper warming rack!

I bought a 15kg gas bottle - had it for about 8 or 9 years no, and still about 1/4 full!! Think I'd get a smaller, lighter 7.5kg bottle next time.
I take my BBQ to Silverstone for trackdays, and it's a ballache fitting it in the boot withthe 15kgs bottle!

Hope that helps.

dpb 06 July 2010 08:14 AM

Dont mess about with that **** man , this is what you need

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...00px-Braai.JPG

If you cant steal a drum , use a couple of breeze blocks - does the same thing :thumb:

David Lock 06 July 2010 09:38 AM

1) Real men use barbecues.

2) Wimps use gas

For 1) Food is often burnt and guests have gone home by the time the food is cooked.

For 2) The food tastes about the same especially if the right sauce is poured over during cooking. Chef has more time for a drink with his guests.

I'm a wimp :p

But I have used one of those £5 throw away barbecues and just used that under the grills to keep the kids happy.

But I would concede that for a big do you can't beat a whole lamb or pig cooked for 6-8 hours over logs.

dl

stevo7 06 July 2010 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by David Lock (Post 9482137)
1) Real men use barbecues.

2) Wimps use gas

For 1) Food is often burnt and guests have gone home by the time the food is cooked.

For 2) The food tastes about the same especially if the right sauce is poured over during cooking. Chef has more time for a drink with his guests.

I'm a wimp :p

But I have used one of those £5 throw away barbecues and just used that under the grills to keep the kids happy.

But I would concede that for a big do you can't beat a whole lamb or pig cooked for 6-8 hours over logs.

dl

Hmmm. lemme know when you do one of those then!! I'm in WSussex too :)
Thats if you could stand an Evo fan at your Do!! :norty:

BlkKnight 06 July 2010 10:27 AM

I'm a coal man - Just because I like fire. With lumpwood rather than bricks - you can be cooking in 10 minutes and it's insanely hot.

I can see the convenience of gas - just just don't want to go to the dark side.

stevo7 06 July 2010 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by BlkKnight (Post 9482176)
I'm a coal man - Just because I like fire. With lumpwood rather than bricks - you can be cooking in 10 minutes and it's insanely hot.

I can see the convenience of gas - just just don't want to go to the dark side.

LOL, do you use half a bottle of BBQ lighter fluid, sprayed on from the obligatory 6 feet away so you get a nice stream of fire from the bottle!! :lol1:

DARB 06 July 2010 10:38 AM

I'm a wimp and got me one of these :norty: love the convenience of gas, as said before you can cook all night long so no need for any guests to go hungry :thumb:

http://www.sbfpics.co.uk/out.php?i=12629_bbq1.jpg

SJ_Skyline 06 July 2010 10:40 AM

Charcoal, every time :thumb:

M444GY 06 July 2010 11:13 AM

coal for me and i even mine it myself :) hardcore;)

urban 06 July 2010 12:02 PM

BBQ like a man using charcoal :)

BBQ like a homosexual using gas :(

Coffin Dodger 06 July 2010 12:08 PM

Charcoal is king, I don't think that can ever be questioned, however....

I've got a gas BBQ. It's really great to get home from work of an evening and cook a couple of chops, drumsticks, etc. with no hassle. Just turn it on, leave it for a while to heat up, and cook :D Added to that while our extension is getting built (new kitchen) it's really useful to be able to cook dinner out in the garden.

You do get some of the BBQ flavour as well, mine is packed with lava rock, the fat drips of the meat onto the hot rocks and gives plenty of smoke, and a good bit of flammage sometimes too :D

Leslie 06 July 2010 12:38 PM

Don't they produce an additive to get the charcoal taste these days?

Les

kbsub 06 July 2010 04:24 PM

I have both , Gas gets used for cooking things in a hurray like burgers or sausages , Charcoal for things like Roast Chicken, Baby Back Ribs etc

Using a chimney starter you can get the charcoal lit as quick as it takes the Gas Grill to warm up :thumb:

Rat who ate the Cat 09 July 2010 01:20 AM

Thank you for all your replies, I've decided to build a proper all weather stone Charcoal jobby for proper barbies and maybe buy a little gas one for quick and easy outdoor dinners ets :)

I fancy something like this http://www.primrose.co.uk/colorado-b...gc7j87jibc2j50 for proper barbecuing as it should last years and also be a focal point in the garden too, what's your thoughts, is it too big too expensive etc?

cster 09 July 2010 06:25 AM

TBH, I think the main drawbacks with a gas BBQ are the size and initial outlay.
Burnt burger anyone?

dpb 09 July 2010 08:05 AM

My ole dear has something like that Florida masonary thing she picked up at bricomarche or similar , in france . A put it together job , wasnt that dear tho

alcazar 09 July 2010 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Rat who ate the Cat (Post 9486852)
Thank you for all your replies, I've decided to build a proper all weather stone Charcoal jobby for proper barbies and maybe buy a little gas one for quick and easy outdoor dinners ets :)

I fancy something like this http://www.primrose.co.uk/colorado-b...gc7j87jibc2j50 for proper barbecuing as it should last years and also be a focal point in the garden too, what's your thoughts, is it too big too expensive etc?

That's OK, but the roof and such, being metal, will either need constant maintenance, or will corrode: the smoke will do it no good at all.

How about this one: http://www.bigkproducts.co.uk/ about half way down the page.

£325 isn't bad, either, and the grills can be had in most French supermarkets if you ever need another. I have two like that, one here, one in France.

They are pre-cast concrete, you cement them together, smear the outside with wet cement to seal it, then, when it's dry, paint it.

The only thing you have to watch is using too much wood to start it: if you do, the chimney gets too hot too quick and cracks. Both mine have, and both have been repaired with a 5mm aluminium plate INSIDE, held on with two stainless coachbolts. Neither have moved since I did the repair, and the French one has now been repainted and the crack has disappeared.

Oh, btw, if you have a trailer, one like the above, or with a side stone shelf, can be had from most French supermarkets in Spring for €200 or so. Day-trip over and come back with some cheap-ish booze too?