Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Mountain Bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 19 June 2010, 07:01 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mountain Bikes?

Does anyone on here know much about mountain bikes?

I have seen the following bikes at a local shop, one is the GT Avalanche 3.0 which is £379 and another one which is a Diamondback Peak HD at £349 but should be £449 but £100 off in the shop.

I dont know much about either of these bikes.

Is one make generally known as a better make as I assume the Diamondback has something different/better than the GT if in theory it should be £100 more?!

Any advice on either of these makes would be appreciated or if anyone can recommend any others around this price bracket.

Many thanks

Regards
Rob
Old 19 June 2010, 07:48 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

www.paulscycles.co.uk always have good prices. Gotta be quick to get the right size as popular ones sell out quick. I've always fancied this myself....

http://paulscycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b4s1p1746

Lots of offers....

http://paulscycles.co.uk/offers.php?cat=1
Old 19 June 2010, 07:54 PM
dunx
Scooby Senior

I still prefer my "cheap" bike, rigid frame + Pace carbon fibre front suspension.....

Just "quicker" than my fully suspended Marin.

Depends what your main use is IMHO.

dunx
Old 19 June 2010, 09:28 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

As long as you can lock out the suspension, then a full sus can be just as good on the smoother runs (road/trail), if a little heavier, and with the advantage on the rougher stuff.
Old 19 June 2010, 09:57 PM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Don't forget to check if you can get the bike through your work using the cycle scheme.

Doesn't cost your work and can save a good few quid. I have Genesis Core 01 and the wife has a Gary Fisher of some sort.
Old 19 June 2010, 09:58 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get a Road/Hybrid Bike unless you plan actual Mountain Biking on proper trails, loads of people buy one and never use it as they are generally crap on the road, slow, heavy, bouncy with knobly tyres and unless you are going to put it on he car and drive somewhere to use it they tend to just sit there in the garage and there is no fun riding on the road on one.

A lot of peple think they need full suspension and massive disks for a farm track, Bridleway or rough road, you dont, even my Specialized Road Bike will cope with that, a lot more robust than you think as log as you dont go mad, to be honest a lot of the roads round here are rougher than the bridle paths due to pot holes !

Ok if you intend dropping off things, flinging yourself down boulder strewn paths then an MTB is the way to go, otherwise they tend to be overkill and being honest, anything that copes with hard use is hard to find at £300, My Carrera Kraken from Halfords disintegrated before my eyes when I started using it hard, crank, gears, forks all conked, the cable disks were woeful and got replaced by Hopes as I nearly ended up in the River Bollin.

I now have a fairly old full suspension Kona "Bear", I beleive it was the forerunner of the Dawg, but I never use it, finding time to stick it on the car and go somewhere to ride it is rare but I ride my road bike every day to work and at the moment extend my ride home just for the fun of it.
Old 20 June 2010, 02:32 AM
subaruturbo_18
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stiscooby
Does anyone on here know much about mountain bikes?

I have seen the following bikes at a local shop, one is the GT Avalanche 3.0 which is £379 and another one which is a Diamondback Peak HD at £349 but should be £449 but £100 off in the shop.

I dont know much about either of these bikes.

Is one make generally known as a better make as I assume the Diamondback has something different/better than the GT if in theory it should be £100 more?!

Any advice on either of these makes would be appreciated or if anyone can recommend any others around this price bracket.

Many thanks

Regards
Rob
My mate has the GT, It's only that cheap as i bet its last years model? My mates was up at a little bit more than that last year, but we got disco'unt "cuz we no ppl"...In other words my mate works at halfords and was about to quit so he sorted us out

Id read reviews if i were you, check out any bad or good reviews on the bikes and see what they say. Users will no more than sales employees.
Old 20 June 2010, 03:13 AM
tathan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EddScott
Don't forget to check if you can get the bike through your work using the cycle scheme.

Doesn't cost your work and can save a good few quid. I have Genesis Core 01 and the wife has a Gary Fisher of some sort.
Indeedy...
Old 20 June 2010, 10:45 AM
Kieran_Burns
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by J4CKO
Get a Road/Hybrid Bike unless you plan actual Mountain Biking on proper trails, loads of people buy one and never use it as they are generally crap on the road, slow, heavy, bouncy with knobly tyres and unless you are going to put it on he car and drive somewhere to use it they tend to just sit there in the garage and there is no fun riding on the road on one.

A lot of peple think they need full suspension and massive disks for a farm track, Bridleway or rough road, you dont, even my Specialized Road Bike will cope with that, a lot more robust than you think as log as you dont go mad, to be honest a lot of the roads round here are rougher than the bridle paths due to pot holes !

Ok if you intend dropping off things, flinging yourself down boulder strewn paths then an MTB is the way to go, otherwise they tend to be overkill and being honest, anything that copes with hard use is hard to find at £300, My Carrera Kraken from Halfords disintegrated before my eyes when I started using it hard, crank, gears, forks all conked, the cable disks were woeful and got replaced by Hopes as I nearly ended up in the River Bollin.

I now have a fairly old full suspension Kona "Bear", I beleive it was the forerunner of the Dawg, but I never use it, finding time to stick it on the car and go somewhere to ride it is rare but I ride my road bike every day to work and at the moment extend my ride home just for the fun of it.

+1

People get MTBs because they see everyone else has one... unless you are doing some serious off-road stuff you don't need one. If you get one and all you do is road / light trail riding you'll regret the choice and not use the bike. Nothing is a greater waste of money than something not used.

I went down the same path as J4CKO, watched my (flat-bar) road bike disintegrate before my eyes when I started to put some serious mileage on it (including light trail) so went for a CX (Cyclocross) bike - Specialized Tricross Sport - never looked back.

Oh, and +1 to the CTW idea. You can get a much better bike for the money if you can on this scheme.
Old 20 June 2010, 12:04 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by EddScott

+2, we bought two bikes this way and have saved a fortune
Old 20 June 2010, 09:43 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by subaruturbo_18
My mate has the GT, It's only that cheap as i bet its last years model? My mates was up at a little bit more than that last year, but we got disco'unt "cuz we no ppl"...In other words my mate works at halfords and was about to quit so he sorted us out

Id read reviews if i were you, check out any bad or good reviews on the bikes and see what they say. Users will no more than sales employees.
I think the GT is this years model from what I gather - http://www.evanscycles.com/products/...20899?query=gt 3.0

I suspect they might have £100 off the Diamond Back because it is last years model?? I can't seem to find this out.

Yea, I'm not really after a bike with rear suspension either, front is enough.
Old 20 June 2010, 10:18 PM
scoobyboy
Scooby Regular

i use a mountain everyday to go to work (trek fuel ex5) and i do a 16 mile round journey and i'm glad i went with a mountain bike and not a road bike. i don't like being in the hunched over position for starters i prefer a more upright position and although it may make you act like an airbrake i'm not in to speed so it doesn't matter to me. i also like that i can bump up and down kirbs and potholes in our awful roads without worrying about bending my wheels. and i find that with a more substantial frame rather than the spindly frames on road bikes i have more confidence that it's not going to snap! i know the road frame won't but i'm not the lightest of people so i wanted something that i felt confident on.
yes i've put road tyres on it as the droning noise from the knobblies gets on your nerves and sounds like a wheel bearing gone! but i don't lock the suspension out and it doesn't really bob like the old full sussys did, i only find it bobbing if i'm peddeling to fast in a gear so i just go up a gear and it stops.
at the end of the day you need to feel comfortable on what ever your going to ride be it a mountain bike or road bike they each have advantages over the other so try and borrow one of each for a couple of hours and see what suits you best.