Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Thieving scum, which mountain bike now?

Search this Thread

Old 17 June 2010, 09:43 AM
hail-hail
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thieving scum, which mountain bike now?

Had the shed broken into on Monday night and the MB has gone.
Looks like they targeted the bike as there is a load of good stuff still there. Go-ped, golf clubs, decent power tools etc....

Looking at approx £500 payout from insurance so what should I get.
I do quite a bit of road cycling, but needs to go off road now and again. So probably looking for a hybrid.

Any recommendations, happy to add a few quid for the right bike.
Old 17 June 2010, 09:46 AM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

cant go wrong with a Kona
Old 17 June 2010, 09:47 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

I recently got a Specialized HardRock Pro and love it to pieces. Good spec, and a great ride on and off road.
Old 17 June 2010, 09:53 AM
RA Dunk
Scooby Regular

Another vote for Specialized, I have a Specialized StumpJumper I used very hard when I was into it all with out any problems, nowdays it's just hung up in the garage like an ornament
Old 17 June 2010, 09:59 AM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RA Dunk
nowdays it's just hung up in the garage like an ornament
Likewise
Old 17 June 2010, 10:18 AM
hail-hail
Scooby Regular

Insurance have just told me that I am getting £550 Halfords vouchers.

So I have had a look and came up with these:

GT Sum Z1

This is latest version of the bike that was nicked:
Carrera Banshee

Any good?
Old 17 June 2010, 11:23 AM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

I know absolutely nothing about bikes, but ask your local plod who are dealing with the burglary if they can supply you with some Smart Water so you can mark the new bike.

It's invisible to the eye, but shows up under u/v light and should it ever be taken and recovered, we can see who that Smart Water is registered to and which scumbag has that Smart Water stuck to there hands.

Sadly a lot of the people don't realise the value of the bikes and they will be changing hands for as little as £30.
Old 17 June 2010, 12:32 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hail-hail
Had the shed broken into on Monday night and the MB has gone.
Looks like they targeted the bike as there is a load of good stuff still there. Go-ped, golf clubs, decent power tools etc....

Looking at approx £500 payout from insurance so what should I get.
I do quite a bit of road cycling, but needs to go off road now and again. So probably looking for a hybrid.

Any recommendations, happy to add a few quid for the right bike.
Sorry about the theft. I hope the thieves get caught and well sorted.

Not an expert on 'bikes but it sounds as though you might have enough cash to replace it with a good one.

Les
Old 17 June 2010, 12:35 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Vouchers? wtf, what happened for things like "like for like" replacement etc. Surely they cant tie you into one outlet to replace an item that comes from such a wide market.

Personally I would be asking them for Evans vouchers instead if they insist on issuing vouchers. Probably got a cashback deal with Halfords or something.
Old 17 June 2010, 12:39 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

halfords sell complete sh1te when i comes to bikes. as snazy says i would be wanting cash to pick a bike that I choose.
Old 17 June 2010, 12:48 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Have you just chosen the most expensive in range for whats available in halfords, or did you want a full susser?
£550 is cheap for a full suss, if I was definatly buying from halfrauds I would more be looking towards a higher end hardtail.

Definatly try and see if there is room for manouvre with the insurance.
Old 17 June 2010, 12:52 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/...-bike-ec019397

In the same price bracket.
Old 17 June 2010, 01:25 PM
hail-hail
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Snazy
Vouchers? wtf, what happened for things like "like for like" replacement etc. Surely they cant tie you into one outlet to replace an item that comes from such a wide market.

Personally I would be asking them for Evans vouchers instead if they insist on issuing vouchers. Probably got a cashback deal with Halfords or something.
It is a like for like replacement, mine was a 2003 Carrera Banshee and they have given me £550 which is the price of the current model Carrera Banshee.
Halfords are the only stockists of the Carrera make, hence the Halford Vouchers.
Old 17 June 2010, 01:32 PM
hail-hail
Scooby Regular

Have you just chosen the most expensive in range for whats available in halfords, or did you want a full susser?
£550 is cheap for a full suss, if I was definatly buying from halfrauds I would more be looking towards a higher end hardtail.

Definatly try and see if there is room for manouvre with the insurance.
Those are not the the most expensive in either range. I went for bikes in a price range around £550.

I am probably going to go for a Hybrid now anyway. Quite fancy this one, seem to have good reviews.
Boardman Hydrid Team
Old 17 June 2010, 01:47 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

It is a like for like replacement, mine was a 2003 Carrera Banshee and they have given me £550 which is the price of the current model Carrera Banshee.
Halfords are the only stockists of the Carrera make, hence the Halford Vouchers.
Aaaah fair play, there was me being sinical lol

Those are not the the most expensive in either range. I went for bikes in a price range around £550.

I am probably going to go for a Hybrid now anyway. Quite fancy this one, seem to have good reviews.
Boardman Hydrid Team
Certainly a change lol.
Good luck with your choice mate. Would still be nice to choose from other manufacturers too though
Old 17 June 2010, 01:56 PM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Insurance have just told me that I am getting £550 Halfords vouchers.

So I have had a look and came up with these:

GT Sum Z1

This is latest version of the bike that was nicked:
Carrera Banshee

Any good?
For what you've described you'll be using it for you'll be better off with a hybrid or a hardtail mountain bike. Rear suspension is a waste of time.

Something like

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...egoryId_165499

Looks like good spec for the money, if you are happy to top up the vouchers a bit, or

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...egoryId_229915

If not.
Old 17 June 2010, 02:05 PM
hail-hail
Scooby Regular

Aaaah fair play, there was me being sinical lol

Certainly a change lol.
Good luck with your choice mate. Would still be nice to choose from other manufacturers too though
Easy to be cynical when it comes to insurance companies but this lot have been spot on (Aviva).

Phoned them this morning to make a claim, told them the make and model etc.
My policy said 'No Pedal Cycles' so wasn't even sure I was covered but they told me I was as it was taken from a secure shed.

Anyway they asked me for proof of ownership, I had none as it was 2003 when I got it originally.

"Just hold the line a minute, I neeed to speak to my manager"

Oh aye, here we go I thought.

"Thanks fine sir, no need for proof of ownership"
"Was anything else taken?"

"Well yes, a Specialized Pad lock, child seat and wee pouch thing for under the saddle"

"Ok, that's about £100 worth, we will just waive the £100 xs an sent you out £550 of vouchers, they will be with you in a few days"

Ok, thanks
Old 17 June 2010, 02:09 PM
hail-hail
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Devildog
For what you've described you'll be using it for you'll be better off with a hybrid or a hardtail mountain bike. Rear suspension is a waste of time.

Something like

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...egoryId_165499

Looks like good spec for the money, if you are happy to top up the vouchers a bit, or

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...egoryId_229915

If not.
Good shout, going to go for the Hybrid I think, it wil be used mainly on the road, parks, up and down kerbs etc
Old 17 June 2010, 02:13 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

Sounds like you did well from it really I guess mate Fair play to them.
Now if only I could get my spelling as good as my bitching, I would be on fire (not sure why the hell I got cynical so wrong lol)
Old 17 June 2010, 02:22 PM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

On the hybrid front this looks pretty decent for the money (although you'd need to top up)

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...egoryId_231001
Old 22 June 2010, 05:19 PM
hail-hail
Scooby Regular

Well the voucher came in on friday morning, so I am now the owner of a brand spanking new Boardman Team Hybrid

Voucher for £550, bike was £700 but the price sticker they had on it in the shop was £650. The very helpful assistant told me he had no option but to sell it to me at the reduced price

This bad boy

Last edited by hail-hail; 22 June 2010 at 06:41 PM.
Old 22 June 2010, 07:34 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RA Dunk
Another vote for Specialized, I have a Specialized StumpJumper I used very hard when I was into it all with out any problems, nowdays it's just hung up in the garage like an ornament
Thats Mountain Bikes for you, if you do road cycling get a road bike rather than some huge, heavy monstrosity with motorbike tyres that needs carrying anywhere in a car, defeats the object, a proper road bike can do off road, just not big drop offs or bouldered descents, bridle paths and unmade roads are fine if sensible and to be honest thats what most MTB's do if their lucky, stuck on to the back of a car to pootle round a park with the kids !

My Kona full susser never, ever gets used, my Hybrid got relegated when I got the roadie and has not turned a wheel since.

I reckon Mountain Biking killed cycling to a certain extent in the uk through the nineties, its only now making a comeback from being good intentions and garage ornaments via the cycle to work scheme, speaks volumes when the first round of CTW at our place all bought MTB's and are now all, second time round buying road bikes.
Old 22 June 2010, 07:36 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Well the voucher came in on friday morning, so I am now the owner of a brand spanking new Boardman Team Hybrid

Voucher for £550, bike was £700 but the price sticker they had on it in the shop was £650. The very helpful assistant told me he had no option but to sell it to me at the reduced price

This bad boy
Just read that, very nice, though that isnt a Bad Boy, this is !

Old 23 June 2010, 10:04 AM
Devildog
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
Thats Mountain Bikes for you, if you do road cycling get a road bike rather than some huge, heavy monstrosity with motorbike tyres that needs carrying anywhere in a car, defeats the object, a proper road bike can do off road, just not big drop offs or bouldered descents, bridle paths and unmade roads are fine if sensible and to be honest thats what most MTB's do if their lucky, stuck on to the back of a car to pootle round a park with the kids !

My Kona full susser never, ever gets used, my Hybrid got relegated when I got the roadie and has not turned a wheel since.

I reckon Mountain Biking killed cycling to a certain extent in the uk through the nineties, its only now making a comeback from being good intentions and garage ornaments via the cycle to work scheme, speaks volumes when the first round of CTW at our place all bought MTB's and are now all, second time round buying road bikes.
No doubt fashion played a huge part too.

I used to have a full race (road) bike, then went hybrids for the tracks and paths. when we moved to the higlands went hardail MTB for riding on a mixture of road, paths and tracks - many with exposed tree roots, mud, ruts and boulders which would have killed the wheels and frame of my hybrid.

My MTB is fine on the roads to be honest - "sensible" tyres, SPD pedals, lock out on front forks and its light.