Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Buying CAT D

Search this Thread

Old 13 June 2010, 07:28 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Buying CAT D

i've seen a car for sale which is immaculate and cheap but it's listed as a CAT D

this is a normal hatch not a boy racer thashed model and the seller says it was cosmetic damage only, would it be a problem come trade in time or should it be avoided?

is there any way to get a CAT D taken off the register as i thought if it was inspected you could pay to have it removed, is this true?

cheers
Old 13 June 2010, 07:38 PM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

you generally won't loose - buy it cheaper, then sell it on cheaper. The problem lies with trying to sell it. If it's an older car I wouldn't worry as much, but a newish car I'd personally avoid. Not sure about having a Cat D removed, never heard of this.
Old 13 June 2010, 07:45 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

i'm just wary incase i decide to trade it in later and dealers wont touch it

it's a 2009 car worth £13k A! but as its a CATD it's up at £9k
Old 13 June 2010, 07:55 PM
apples24
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do some proper value reasearch ie used values, not unless your buying on the strap

id be put off on nearly new cars to be honest, id happily buy the wife one cheap and repair it, howver i wouldnt want to be selling one

however it depoends on the car, if were talking high end sports then thats different its easily sold, if its a run of the mil ford mondeo i wouldnt bother
Old 13 June 2010, 08:04 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

I think there is confusion about having Cat C VIC checked and getting a "cat" removed.
its a status marker, there is no legal way to remove it, so its with the car for life.

I know plenty of people who sell C's and D's all the time with no issues. As above, buy cheap, sell cheap. Dealers will take them but at a mark down. However car buyers etc will usually eat them up.

Re the damage. For a 2009 car to have been graded a D for "cosmetic" damage, that must have been pretty extensive none the less. So something tells me he was lying or the assessor was on drugs lol.

As long as I know what the damage was, and where I am looking to check repairs, C's and D's dont worry me.
Old 13 June 2010, 08:07 PM
apples24
Scooby Regular

indeed as i said however in my eyes quite well price reflected, but int he real world they sell just as good, i tonight sold a cat d 2001 206 convertible for £2400, pretty car and colour tho low miles.

i think sometimes its the public getting that feeling of there getting a bargain, and we know everyone loves a bargain, in my view unless it was something tasty i wouldnt buy something that late damaged

just my humble opinion though
Old 13 June 2010, 09:17 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by robby
i've seen a car for sale which is immaculate and cheap but it's listed as a CAT D

this is a normal hatch not a boy racer thashed model and the seller says it was cosmetic damage only, would it be a problem come trade in time or should it be avoided?

is there any way to get a CAT D taken off the register as i thought if it was inspected you could pay to have it removed, is this true?

cheers
There was a time, but that time has long passed. Autoligns contract was re-negotiated in 1995 and since then cars which pass move to the 'condition inspected' register, as opposed to being removed from the condition alert register altogether.

Simon
Old 13 June 2010, 09:21 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Snazy
I think there is confusion about having Cat C VIC checked and getting a "cat" removed.
its a status marker, there is no legal way to remove it, so its with the car for life.

I know plenty of people who sell C's and D's all the time with no issues. As above, buy cheap, sell cheap. Dealers will take them but at a mark down. However car buyers etc will usually eat them up.

Re the damage. For a 2009 car to have been graded a D for "cosmetic" damage, that must have been pretty extensive none the less. So something tells me he was lying or the assessor was on drugs lol.

As long as I know what the damage was, and where I am looking to check repairs, C's and D's dont worry me.
Ive addressed the 'inspection' matter in my prevous post. I think that a vehicle could be relatively lightly damaged within the first year and constructively written off, if thats a feature of the policy. I realise that this doesnt sound overly friendly, but dont be offended: Im tired and Im struggling to articulate my thoughts better.
Old 13 June 2010, 09:25 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Remember too that a higher value on a newer car means that extensive damage can be graded lower. By this Im suggesting that whilst a 10+year old car will only need a scratcvh to be written off, a new car can be relatively heavily damaged and still only be written off due to a 'one year' replacement clause in the policy.

With a nearly new car a D categorisation could have required a good pull on a jig and new structural panels.

Theres a lot more to understanding salvage and categorisation than looking aT THE abiS WEBSITE AND COPYING AND PASTING THE explanation.....
Old 14 June 2010, 09:12 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by robby

cheers

There is a company that does the inspection for the register and itg was £200 7 years ago so I have no idea on what it is now. If your considering this test you have to know that the repair has been done to an impressive standard as if there is any thickness of filler used it will fail instantly. They expect the car to be in showroom condition and once done it supposedly lets you trade the vehicle in and if you have an insurance claim they will pay top dollar instead of say half price.
Old 14 June 2010, 11:16 PM
skoobidude
Scooby Regular

I bought what I was lead to believe, a Cat D. Had lots of trouble getting it right as there were some unresolved issues with it. It was an Impreza STi6 Type R Ltd by the way.

When it came to selling it I never considered all the problems I'd get trying to get rid. I felt like a criminal answering all the **** questions from each tyre kicker coming around. And in the end, the guy who purchased decided to HPi anyway and found it was actually a CAT C!!

If it's nothing special then I would say look with your eyes open. Perhaps double check with HPi too..

Nick

Last edited by skoobidude; 14 June 2010 at 11:17 PM.
Old 15 June 2010, 08:19 AM
apples24
Scooby Regular

well you bought it knowing it was damaged and tried to sell it bit telling so asking for a pain int he ****

if there cheap enough you can resell them stating prev light damaged or stolen recovered etc
Old 15 June 2010, 10:10 AM
Scoobydudey
Scooby Regular

Cat D, no problem at all ive had loads of cat D,s
cat C I wouldnt touch, I bought a 55 plate WRX Wagon 12K miles in 2007 that was cat D that had a new carpet set and 2 seat bases the work was carried out by Subaru Main dealer and had the bill and a statement from the dealer that was the only work carried out by them as per the insurers damage report, so not all cat Ds have had lots of damage, theres also lots of other considerations ie towing, storage charges, etc
my mate bought a cat D SL600 18mths old that had a very minor £600 of bits crash in France the charges to get it back were about £4500, as long as you or someone who Knows has a good look at the repairs and they are sound go for it,
Old 15 June 2010, 12:07 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scoobydudey
Cat D, no problem at all ive had loads of cat D,s
cat C I wouldnt touch
Cat C's can sometimes make more sense, as they need to undergo a roadworthyness check, whereas Cat D's don't, but can still have sustained quite heavy damage.

I was very tempted with a Cat D when I changed cars last summer - it was a 58-2008 325d M-Sport for £19k, whereas the market rate for a non-cat D would've been £24-25k, but decided against it in the end as it seemed like a lot of cash for a previously damaged car, and glad I did.

Sort of issues you might encounter are uneven tyre wear, poor quality paint on repaired panels, poor panel gaps - but on the other hand you could be lucky and get something which is absolutely fine and runs perfectly.
Old 15 June 2010, 03:21 PM
apples24
Scooby Regular

cat c's undergo no roadworthyness check atal
Old 15 June 2010, 07:41 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

A common misconception. The VIC is to establish that the car is honest, and nothing else.

Autolign (used, and perhaps still do) check the quality of repairs, but the case for using them disappeared with their new contract 15+ years ago.
Old 15 June 2010, 07:43 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Everything about Autolign HERE. They used to be able to remove vehicles from all registers altogether, but they now move them to a 'Condition Inspected' register, as I mentioned in aprevious post.

Simon