Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Failed driving test...

Search this Thread

Old 09 June 2010, 12:30 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Failed driving test...

My son had a driving test yesterday and failed on one thing. He was failed over something he did on a duel carriageway. He went into the right lane(indicating) when he got on it as he could see slow cars in the left lane ahead. The road behind was empty. Its something we all do every day and is allowed because we have passed our tests.

But my sons instructor never once took him on a duel carriageway during lessons. On his very first lesson the instructor told him to apply for a test straight away and over a period of 2 months he did everything except the duel carriageway.

You are not allowed to use a motorway as a learner but you are able to use a duel carriageway. I cannot for the life of me understand why an instructor would not take you on one during a lesson, especially as you can be tested on it during your practical test. A lot of people are scared of motorway driving so i thought a duel carriageway lesson would help loads of people...

My son passed on everything else. The only thing he failed on was the one thing he was not taught.

As far as i can understand there are no set things that an instructor has to teach you. How unfair is this?

Can anyone advise me here or is this just **** luck?

Nice little earner for the instructors though as the failed pupil will need more lessons
Old 09 June 2010, 12:33 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

sounds a bit odd that was the reason for the fail. I think there is more to the result than meets the eye. I suggest asking for the reasons for the fail as it must have been in the major category to end like that.
Old 09 June 2010, 12:34 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Deffo should have had some dual carridgeway tution before the test. Remembering back to my learner days I definitely got took on one during the test plus part of my pre-test lesson was driving down the A13 to Grays where the test centre was located.

Sounds like your son's instructor isn't very good.
Old 09 June 2010, 12:34 PM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Deffo should have had some dual carridgeway tution before the test. Remembering back to my learner days I definitely got took on one during the test plus part of my pre-test lesson was driving down the A13 to Grays where the test centre was located.

Sounds like your son's instructor isn't very good.
Old 09 June 2010, 12:39 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

It is a "Dual Carriageway", not Duel (unless being hillariously ironic) , not Carridgeway and whilst we are on it, its Hamsters, Not Hampsters !

I suspect they have quota's, get more lessons, apply again, retake test until pass, dissapointing but it happens.
Old 09 June 2010, 12:41 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

From reading I am assuming your son joined the dual carriageway and pulled straight into the outside lane.
That IS an error as the guidance of joing a motorway or dual suggests matching the speed of the traffic on the road and looking for a suitable gap. Also was the indication for joining the carriageway broken before indicating for the outside lane.

I would not say its a major as such, but definatly an error.

Bad that the instructor didnt do any dual carriageway lessons though.
Old 09 June 2010, 12:43 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

I did my test 2years ago Sara and I defo had lessons on driving up and down dual carriageways. Whether or not NI is different than the mainland this way, I'm not sure.

Sorry to hear he failed but least it was for something minor, hopefully he'll be confident in passing next time.
Old 09 June 2010, 12:45 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by J4CKO
It is a "Dual Carriageway", not Duel (unless being hillariously ironic) , not Carridgeway and whilst we are on it, its Hamsters, Not Hampsters !

I suspect they have quota's, get more lessons, apply again, retake test until pass, dissapointing but it happens.
Lol, i am in a hurry so spelling fell apart

As for the miss spelling of hamster, i have now rectified that...............but how did you know?

You spelt disappointing wrong lol

He has booked a new test but its still unfair. I might ask the driving instructor for free use of his car for it
Old 09 June 2010, 12:47 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sarasquares
My son had a driving test yesterday
you have a 17 yr old son

i thought you were some sweet young thing not the resident SN MILF!!!!
Old 09 June 2010, 12:48 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jamz3k
I did my test 2years ago Sara and I defo had lessons on driving up and down dual carriageways. Whether or not NI is different than the mainland this way, I'm not sure.

Sorry to hear he failed but least it was for something minor, hopefully he'll be confident in passing next time.

When i did mine they didnt teach you to park but they do now. So glad i have done mine but its due to change again in October.

All my sons instructor did was keep stopping for *** breaks during lessons. My son didnt ask for these but i assume it saves petrol
Old 09 June 2010, 12:49 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bigsinky
you have a 17 yr old son

i thought you were some sweet young thing not the resident SN MILF!!!!
He is no longer a teenager....GILF
Old 09 June 2010, 12:49 PM
Camoscooby
Scooby Regular

I failed first time (passed second!) simply because the instructor said I was 'too hesitant' when driving and did not leave junctions/pull away when I could have.

I was gutted for having failed my test for being too careful

Horses**t !
Old 09 June 2010, 12:55 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

When i did mine they didnt teach you to park but they do now. So glad i have done mine but its due to change again in October.

All my sons instructor did was keep stopping for *** breaks during lessons. My son didnt ask for these but i assume it saves petrol
I was defo taught to park but my front bumper would lead you to believe otherwise!

My first instructor was a paedophile, the second one had just passed his instructor training and was a complete ****** constantly reminding me that a car is a life taking WEAPON! Luckily my 3rd attempt at getting a non sucidial anti-paedophillic instructor paid off and passed very quickly!
Old 09 June 2010, 01:04 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jamz3k
I was defo taught to park but my front bumper would lead you to believe otherwise!

My first instructor was a paedophile, the second one had just passed his instructor training and was a complete ****** constantly reminding me that a car is a life taking WEAPON! Luckily my 3rd attempt at getting a non sucidial anti-paedophillic instructor paid off and passed very quickly!
A paedo lol Good job you was too old to be fiddled with

I passed on my third. I know this will stun everyone here as i should have passed on my first!

On my second test the examiner got out the car and walked back to the test center taking the keys with him lol
Old 09 June 2010, 01:10 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

Good job you was too old to be fiddled with
Sara, you are never too old to be fiddled with
Old 09 June 2010, 01:11 PM
Will
BANNED

I passed on my 20th, after a bribe. I know this will stun everyone here as i should have passed on my first!
Old 09 June 2010, 01:13 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Sara, you are never too old to be fiddled with
I have never wanted to be a moderator more than i do now lol
Old 09 June 2010, 01:15 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

I have never wanted to be a moderator more than i do now lol
why? was that a creepy thing to say. just durty old man syndrome. i get that a lot nowadays, being really old and decrepid.
Old 09 June 2010, 01:21 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

why? was that a creepy thing to say. just durty old man syndrome. i get that a lot nowadays, being really old and decrepid.

Not for what he said but for changing my post. I am going to have to send him a FB nail now

I am not old a decrepit lol, just old
Old 09 June 2010, 01:23 PM
Torquemada
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

My instructor took me on the A3 plenty of times 2 and 3 lane.
He also made me accelerate to 105mph one day when he said "see that junction?", I said yep, "see that truck just before the junction", yep, "I want you to get off on that junction before the truck passes it, FLOOR IT!", so I did.

That was fun, but a touch scary at the time and definitely not really the kind of stuff for lessons!! It did help my confidence somewhat though, right up to the point I rolled my classic Beetle 6 times......

Shame that your boy's failed on what sounds fairly minor but it's difficult to judge without being there. Hope he gets it right next time round!
Old 09 June 2010, 01:29 PM
Will
BANNED

Not for what he said but for changing my post. I am going to have to send him a FB nail now
Old 09 June 2010, 01:50 PM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

back in the day a friend of my brothers failed his test quite quickly,

when asked by the examiner at the outset to "take me to your car"

he replied - "what -- don't you provide one?"
Old 09 June 2010, 02:03 PM
billythekid
Scooby Regular

When I had my test (many moons ago!) the examiner asked if he could smoke a *** as we went round! Obviously I did not say no so we drove round with the windows down, he had about 3 **** I think! He must have been having a bad day I think, looked well stressed! He passed me though.
Old 09 June 2010, 02:22 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hodgy0_2
back in the day a friend of my brothers failed his test quite quickly,

when asked by the examiner at the outset to "take me to your car"

he replied - "what -- don't you provide one?"

reminds me of the time I turned up at a new guitar class at school thinking that playing the guitar would be cool and get me loads of girls ... Up to the point where the teacher said
" okay people take out your guitar for the first lesson "

whipping out my recorder wasn't quite the same
Old 09 June 2010, 03:52 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

My son had a driving test yesterday and failed on one thing. He was failed over something he did on a duel carriageway. He went into the right lane(indicating) when he got on it as he could see slow cars in the left lane ahead. The road behind was empty. Its something we all do every day and is allowed because we have passed our tests.

But my sons instructor never once took him on a duel carriageway during lessons. On his very first lesson the instructor told him to apply for a test straight away and over a period of 2 months he did everything except the duel carriageway.

You are not allowed to use a motorway as a learner but you are able to use a duel carriageway. I cannot for the life of me understand why an instructor would not take you on one during a lesson, especially as you can be tested on it during your practical test. A lot of people are scared of motorway driving so i thought a duel carriageway lesson would help loads of people...

My son passed on everything else. The only thing he failed on was the one thing he was not taught.

As far as i can understand there are no set things that an instructor has to teach you. How unfair is this?

Can anyone advise me here or is this just **** luck?

Nice little earner for the instructors though as the failed pupil will need more lessons
If he did not inconvenience anyone during joining and turning into the right hand lane I cannot understand why he was failed. If you join too close in front of someone already on the road that is a different matter since those on the road already have right of way over a joining car, but you said the road behind was empty anyway.

I think the examiner should be asked to explain his action.

Les
Old 09 June 2010, 04:18 PM
scooby L
Scooby Regular

joining a dual carriageway and immediately changing to the right hand lane would mean his blind spot was huge.... It would have involved him looking in 3 different directions (front, blind spot, mirror) in a very short amount of time, (probably twice) along with judging his closing speed on the slower traffic.. a Something I'd not expect a "learner" (however capable) to undertake... especially on his test!

I'd suggest he bit off more than he could chew.. neglecting some kind of observation mid maneuver..or just scaring the be'Jesus out of the instructor...

Failed due to over confidence or lack of observation during a maneuver

Last edited by scooby L; 09 June 2010 at 04:20 PM.
Old 09 June 2010, 04:22 PM
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Maybe the examiner comes on here, realised it was your son and failed him so that you would have more reasons to post about failures, hardships etc in your life lol .......... trolling hat off now.

On a serious note.... seems a bit odd that it was a major unless the instructor thinks he did not check his mirrors at all............ and also sounds a bit suspect that his instructor did not give him a single dual carriage way lesson
Old 09 June 2010, 04:35 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

I have just called the instructor to ask him why he hadnt taken my son onto a dual carriageway during a lesson and he told me that he didn't have time as he had only had a few lessons. But he told Jack on his FIRST lesson he was ready for his test. So for 9 more lessons he had no time?

Jack said all they did every lesson was just drive round and stop for ****. Jack had no problems with any other aspect of driving so i cant understand why he didnt use a dual carriageway during the 9 hours of lessons he had after the first one. Jack canceled a lesson last week as he couldn't afford it so you would have expected the instructor to say that he needed the extra lesson if that was the case.

The instructor was busy with a lesson when i called him and he said he couldn't talk more but he would call me later. I know nothing can be resolved but it still stinks.

I cant even get him insured on mine so his lessons are cheaper, they wont insure him.

Does anyone know of insurance companies that would insure him as a named driver?
Old 09 June 2010, 04:38 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scooby L
joining a dual carriageway and immediately changing to the right hand lane would mean his blind spot was huge.... It would have involved him looking in 3 different directions (front, blind spot, mirror) in a very short amount of time, (probably twice) along with judging his closing speed on the slower traffic.. a Something I'd not expect a "learner" (however capable) to undertake... especially on his test!

I'd suggest he bit off more than he could chew.. neglecting some kind of observation mid maneuver..or just scaring the be'Jesus out of the instructor...

Failed due to over confidence or lack of observation during a maneuver
I didnt mention earlier that he joined the carriageway from a roundabout on the right lane. I dont know if that makes a difference though.
Old 09 June 2010, 04:39 PM
mrtheedge2u2
Scooby Regular

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

AFAIK, you cannot have two policies on one car

Quick Reply: Failed driving test...