Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Why do gatwick parking fees vary day to day???

Search this Thread

Old 05 June 2010, 08:09 AM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Why do gatwick parking fees vary day to day???

I want to park in the short term car park at Gatwick for two weeks from Monday. When I checked last week it was £160, yesterday £140, today its £204!!!!!

Why is that?
Old 05 June 2010, 08:22 AM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why dot you park in the long term? Much, much cheaper.

Prices vary for the same reason that flights prices do. Demand.
Old 05 June 2010, 08:29 AM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

I didn't want the hassle of having to wait for a bus with two screaming kids and loads of luggage/prams etc etc and was happy to pay a small premium for this.

I thought airport car park fees were a set amount ie £x per hour/day like all other car parks!
Old 05 June 2010, 10:20 AM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

DD look on the airport carpark site, they do a cracking deal on a few variants, sometimes including longtern at the shortterm.,..

As for the bus thing, do what I do. Arrive, drop luggage and others at the departures drops off, then take the car to the car park, that way its only you waiting on the bus that comes every 5 mins.

That said, last time I did that at Gatwick, the bus had an "incident" with a Ka, and I ended up with cuts and bruises before I even boarded a plane lol.

http://www.gatwickairport.com/parking-transport/
Old 05 June 2010, 11:19 AM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

Is there not a company operating out of gatwick who will collect you car from the drop off area then bring it to pick you up when you arrive back ?
Old 05 June 2010, 11:23 AM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Snazy, that website gives the same price ie £204 for two weeks!

Luan, I don't want any sort of valet parking because a) I don't want anybody driving or parking my car and b) there is often a delay waiting for them
Old 05 June 2010, 11:25 AM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

taxi ?
Old 05 June 2010, 11:42 AM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luan Pra bang
taxi ?
I won't bore you with my travel plans mate but I'm staying in a nearby hotel the night before. Most hotels around there these days have 'offsite parking' ie some ****** parks it in a muddy field miles away and it comes back with dents and scratches none of which they are liable for.

So my plan was to stay in a nice nearby hotel then drive to short term car park, park my own car and walk to terminal.

Shame the price has shot up by £65 over night.

I'll use the long term car park then as that's only £105
Old 05 June 2010, 12:35 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

The greedy pikers don't sell themselves short do they. What a rip off!

Les
Old 05 June 2010, 05:20 PM
Snazy
Scooby Regular

I know what you mean mate. We have opted for Travelodge the night before, then drive to the airport, drop off the missus and the bags. Drive to the on site car park and hop on the bus. Travelodge £39, parking at South Terminal longstay £79 for 2 weeks, job done. On return she waits with the bags, I hop on the bus, 5 mins later I am back, and we save a shed load.

We stayed at the Sofitel last year, and other than the HUGE bed and expensive room service, it was no different to the Travelodge lol. (ok maybe a bit)

Trust me, the time it takes to walk over you can just hop in the transfer bus and be at the terminal.

Just to rub salt in the wounds, 2 weeks at the shout stay 3 weeks in advance is £114. I always book early lol. Long stay for me has gone up to £107 if I booked now.

Last edited by Snazy; 05 June 2010 at 05:22 PM.
Old 05 June 2010, 05:28 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Snazy
DD look on the airport carpark site, they do a cracking deal on a few variants, sometimes including longtern at the shortterm.,..

As for the bus thing, do what I do. Arrive, drop luggage and others at the departures drops off, then take the car to the car park, that way its only you waiting on the bus that comes every 5 mins.

That said, last time I did that at Gatwick, the bus had an "incident" with a Ka, and I ended up with cuts and bruises before I even boarded a plane lol.

http://www.gatwickairport.com/parking-transport/

+1 drop - the brood and park up, by the time you get there they should be checking in or checked in, if checking in then you get a big jump on the existing que

Park long stay for a better price, get a taxi back to the long stay and save your money for more fun things.
Old 05 June 2010, 05:43 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
The greedy pikers don't sell themselves short do they. What a rip off!

Les
£205 / 14 days is £14.65 a day. Not expensive for a secure long term car park IMHO.

I've just paid £5 for 3hrs 20 mins in Gun Wharf Quay Portsmouth. Work out that daily rate, then tell me the airport car parks are expensive!
Old 06 June 2010, 07:29 AM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Well how bizarre!

If I wanted to book from 7th (the day I fly) to the 21st it was £207, if I booked from 6th evening to 21st its circa £147. So over £50 less if I book for a longer period of time, how does that make sense???

Anyway, I have booked from the 6th and paid £147. This may sound like a really stupid question but just because my entry time starts at 1700hrs on the 6th doesn't mean I have to arrive then does it? I'm still planning to enter on 7th morning.
Old 06 June 2010, 08:32 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

I have two words for you - price elasticity
Old 06 June 2010, 08:57 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by FlightMan
£205 / 14 days is £14.65 a day. Not expensive for a secure long term car park IMHO.

I've just paid £5 for 3hrs 20 mins in Gun Wharf Quay Portsmouth. Work out that daily rate, then tell me the airport car parks are expensive!
Yes I see your point but they are still really coining it with a good size airport carpark which has to be reasonably cheap to run if it is full of cars.

Your charges in Portmouth are well over the top of course, and I did not mean only airport car parks in my initial post. As usual the motorist get stung from every direction.

Les
Old 06 June 2010, 09:50 AM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

We use valet parking at gatwick and it's brilliant - ideal with small kids and luggage etc. It's only the wife's honda so I don't care what they do with it whilst we're away
Old 06 June 2010, 10:29 AM
hodgy0_2
Scooby Regular

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I do sympathise Dong – (we travel with 5 kids – all under 12)

Although we have used all the methods mentioned in the thread at one time or other

The best way, I find is to have a mutual arrangement with family or friends on a quid pro quo basis – i.e. they take and collect you and you return the favour

Interestingly, on the subject of arbitrary pricing – coming back from the south of France yesterday – Sea France who we always sail with, and normally charge £10.00 to change the booking – i.e. catching an earlier ferry, but charged £60.00 yesterday – for no reason, it seemed, other than it was half term

The travelling family seems very easy game for the travel industry

Have a good holiday anyway
Old 06 June 2010, 10:42 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Oooooof!

Les