Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Planned cesarean delivery - worried....

Search this Thread

Old 03 June 2010, 08:22 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Planned cesarean delivery - worried....

Visited hospital today with Mrs T where our consultant told us the larger of our twins is breach and the other is head down. We have been told the bigger twin is too large to turn around naturally and they are not keen to try this. It has been suggested that the way forward is planned cesarian birth.

I am a bit worried for a number of reasons....

I did some work in an operating theatre some years ago, three of the IT consultants I was with passed out due to the nitrogen rich environment. To be honest a few more minutes in there I would have been out of it too. So although I am permitted to be present and I want to be, I am concerned that my lights may go out....

Secondly, I have read up a bit on what is involved, and by all accounts it is a fairly major bit of surgical intervention, with a significant recovery time, which poses a degree of increased risk to both my wife and unborn kids.

I am not one to worry about things, but instead of looking forward to the arrival of our kids I am now dreading it due to the elevated degree of risk to both my wife and unborn kids. I don't want to worry Mrs T by talking to her about it, she is very happy and relieved to have been given a date, as she is not enjoying the whole pregnancy experience.

Any first hand experiences from fathers / mothers / medical professionals PM or on the thread?

Last edited by tarmac terror; 03 June 2010 at 08:25 PM.
Old 03 June 2010, 08:30 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

At least her chuff won't end up like a wizards sleeve
Old 03 June 2010, 08:39 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

TBH it's understandable that you're nervous.

Breech isn't going to work, so the safe option is a cesarean. It's fairly major surgery, so I understand, but not the major operation it was years ago.

Just try and relax, and support your wife. You'll soon have two healthy babies for you both to look after.

Oh, and bank some sleep old chap. By God you'll need it.
Old 03 June 2010, 08:51 PM
andy sti
Scooby Regular

Hi
We have twins that are 15 months old, my partner had them naturally but needed help towards the end, given the choice i think she would have opted for c.section as labour was 18 hours and lots of worrying times through out so although i understand your worried with twin births c.section is classed as one of the safest. It will all be worth it, being a twin daddy is the best.
Old 03 June 2010, 08:51 PM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

We are expecting in the next few weeks and as a result of classes etc we know a couple of people that have had a cesarean.
I promise you, don't worry. If its necessary then you could not be in a better position, you will have experienced people, a 1st world state of the art hospital and to the staff involved this is just a bread and butter routine thing.

Don't let this take anything away form the fact that soon you will be a farther with the biggest smile on your face.
I understand that its scary and I have friends (fathers) who have been in you position and have been worried, of course you will be. Its your family and they are the most important thing in the world to you but IME it has always worked out fine.

Stay positive, keep your chin up, stay strong and happy for the Mrs and look forward to being a dad!!
Old 03 June 2010, 08:54 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

As impending father Mr Winner says it is a bread and butter routine. 25% of births in this country are by caesarian so very much a standard practice. And a non-emergency caesarian will greatly reduce the risk of complications.
Old 03 June 2010, 08:57 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Originally Posted by jods
Charming

Originally Posted by tarmac terror
Visited hospital today with Mrs T where our consultant told us the larger of our twins is breach and the other is head down. We have been told the bigger twin is too large to turn around naturally and they are not keen to try this. It has been suggested that the way forward is planned cesarian birth.

I am a bit worried for a number of reasons....

I did some work in an operating theatre some years ago, three of the IT consultants I was with passed out due to the nitrogen rich environment. To be honest a few more minutes in there I would have been out of it too. So although I am permitted to be present and I want to be, I am concerned that my lights may go out....

Secondly, I have read up a bit on what is involved, and by all accounts it is a fairly major bit of surgical intervention, with a significant recovery time, which poses a degree of increased risk to both my wife and unborn kids.

I am not one to worry about things, but instead of looking forward to the arrival of our kids I am now dreading it due to the elevated degree of risk to both my wife and unborn kids. I don't want to worry Mrs T by talking to her about it, she is very happy and relieved to have been given a date, as she is not enjoying the whole pregnancy experience.

Any first hand experiences from fathers / mothers / medical professionals PM or on the thread?
First of all, many congratulations to you both.

It's understandable you will be scared, but honestly it sounds like it is the best for your wife and children.
You won't be able to see any of the surgery and you will be amazed at how strong and supportive you will be for your wife.
Try not to worry, I am sure you will take it all in your stride and be a proud Dad before you have time to think about keeling over.

All my best wishes
Old 03 June 2010, 09:40 PM
+Doc+
Scooby Senior

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

If your wife is fit and healthy and has no other underlying issues in the stomach region then I would say this procedure is the best option, sometimes nature needs a helping hand.
Old 03 June 2010, 09:44 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

We have 2 daughters both delivered by c section, the first was emergency, the second pre-planned.

Everything worked out fine, but it is an emotional roller coaster.
Old 03 June 2010, 09:50 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

The risk of harm to your Mrs or the twins is less with the CS than it is with a breach birth, thats why the decision has been taken.

Be assured its the best way for all concerned, I won't say don't worry, because you will - both my children were natural births, one with minor complications but all was good, however I was bricking it just like every father does in the delivery room

Last edited by Jay m A; 03 June 2010 at 09:52 PM.
Old 03 June 2010, 10:02 PM
Kev_turbo
Scooby Regular

SWMBO had a c section 12 months ago. The only thing to remember is the pain killers work VERY well so ensure your wife does not push herself too hard too soon, if she is still on the pain killers and doing something hurts then it is bad.

Give your wife a few days rest, make sure the wound is kept clean (your job as she can't see it!!) and you will be fine.

First child was natural birth, second was a c section. Her in doors was in less pain after the section, use common sence and all will be good
Old 03 June 2010, 10:10 PM
Wagon Gaz
Scooby Regular

Both my daughters were born c section, the oldst was an emergency as she was 8 weeks premature, the youngest (had her first driving lesson today) was a planned section which was a very straightforward procedure, however your missus will be a bit "tender" for a few days, like the man says get your sleep cause you will have plenty to do till she gets on her feet proper again.
Old 03 June 2010, 11:02 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats

In the first line of your post you mention the dreaded word "Consultant" !

I'm an NHS Consultant and your taxpayers money has trained me to pretty good at my job ...........and the same taxpayers money has also trained your consultant.

Forget SN and discuss this with your consultant

Shaun
Old 03 June 2010, 11:25 PM
jonc
Scooby Regular

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Wife and I had twins by planned c-section, was in an out of the theatre in 20 minutes. I was in there with the wife along with two teams of doctors and nurses and was surprised how quick, efficient and routined the process was. Then again, they must carry out loads of c-sections week-in week-out. Don't worry you and your wife will be in good hands.
Old 04 June 2010, 07:28 AM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

My first born was with CS, as above in and out in no time, she was a bit tender for a while, but quickly recovered.

Word of advice - stay at the head end. Your missus will need you there and, well... just stay at the head end.
Old 04 June 2010, 08:19 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TT - our twins (27 months) were born naturally but the C-Section in many trusts is the preferred route as there is a reduced risk. In the case of Mrs TT, a natural birth with one in Breech will be far riskier than a C-Section. Rest assured, with twins you are treated like royalty, our midwife even made me tea and toast! On a serious note, they will be looking after both your little ones and your wife and their safety is their primary concern - they wouldn't suggest a course of action if it wasn't the best and least risky.

You mention that your larger twin is too large to turn, well don't be surprised if the twin decides, "y'know what, I think I'll turn just for the hell of it". There are plenty of stories like this on Tamba

So what's the outcome of a C-Section vs Natural?
- Impact to Mum: She has a large cut which needs time to heal. You'll be the taxi for a few months, she can't rush around so you'll be doing a job of work.
- Impact to little ones: From what I recall they are more susceptible to Jaundice in the first couple of weeks (Daniel was Jaundiced anyway from a natural birth - luck of the draw). They also are more likely to spend the first week or so getting rid of mucus on their chest which would have cleared itself through a natural birth.

Words of advice:
- Pack your own bag for the hospital: chocolate bars, pen & newspaper with plenty sudoku, Tom Clancy book, etc.
- Bag a chair in Theater so you don't fall over if you think you might
- Make sure the camera/mobile phone/etc are all charged up and ensure you pack them before leaving.

Best of luck

Last edited by SJ_Skyline; 04 June 2010 at 08:22 AM.
Old 04 June 2010, 08:24 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Dave - I'd try not to worry.

A girl I work with has had 2 cesarean sections
Her husband was present at both and he didn't pass out either.
Biggest downside that I can make out from her is that its a long recovery time - not just from surgery, but afterwards.
No lifting weighted items, no driving etc for I think 6 weeks.

Good luck anyway, I'm sure all will go well.

Cheers,
Shaun
Old 04 June 2010, 10:19 AM
Coffin Dodger
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jods
My thoughts exactly

Thought it was considered a bonus if the birth was by C section
Old 04 June 2010, 12:41 PM
every1sgottablue1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MattW
We have 2 daughters both delivered by c section, the first was emergency, the second pre-planned.

Everything worked out fine, but it is an emotional roller coaster.
Ditto! Don't worry about it! On the second C. Section the surgeon was showing me all the bits inside
Old 04 June 2010, 02:20 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I would have thought the medics would have advised you to go that way for a very good reason. Certainly not worth getting into the problems with a possible breech birth.

That operation is quite a normal and well practised procedure and it would seems more sensible and safer to do that.

Les
Old 04 June 2010, 11:29 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

tt, my first child was an emergency caesarian, and the second child was a planned caesarian. Planned surgery was much better. Level of distress was comparitively much lower, as I was prepared for it. Even 18 years ago, it was performed well enough and I was breastfeeding my baby girl just after a few minutes of her birth. Apparently I had lost a lot of blood during the surgery, but I didn't feel any feeble etc. The recovery was very quick. In hospital, they kicked my @rse to get out and about after just a day. I was home on 3rd day, and back fully functioning within a fortnight. The only thing that caused me a little distress after the 3rd day of the surgery that a young, student type Scottish midwife with moustache checked my scar, and said to my ex-husband: "It is healing very well. It looks beautiful " Did it f**k! It looked bleddy awful! Sarcastic bitch!

Your circumstance is a bit different with the twins coming. Even then, don't worry too much. Best of luck to you and Mrs. tt.

Last edited by Turbohot; 04 June 2010 at 11:31 PM.
Old 04 June 2010, 11:45 PM
maydew
Scooby Regular

girlfriend had an emergency caesarian after 27 hours off trying, i was in the room at the time and couldnt see anythin unless you try too look over lol .

less stress on them both no women should have to go through that, never mind twice in one day lol caesarian all the way just let her take it easy for 2 weeks and light duties for 6 weeks and be fine.

20 mins and you will be holding them good luck

Last edited by maydew; 04 June 2010 at 11:48 PM.
Old 04 June 2010, 11:48 PM
brendy76
Scooby Regular

We had three healthy daughters via C Section, first one, Hollie was an emergency then Summer and Indie came along on planned CS's, it sounds worse than it is, my wife was back on her feet the next day all three times though the first time she did get an infection from the shower in her side ward and was sore for quite a while.
It is quite a surgical operation but the guys do dozens a month and never seem to fluster. at least you know there wont be as many unforseen circumstances like natural birth where forceps etc can be needed.

Last edited by brendy76; 04 June 2010 at 11:50 PM.
Old 05 June 2010, 12:27 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tarmac terror
...I worried...
Dual-pronged advice - understandable, but dont worry too much, itll be alright and secondly: get used to being worried, because youll spend the rest of your life worried to some degree (and certainly the first eighteen years).....
Old 05 June 2010, 11:02 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

Thanks to those who offered sensible comment. As has been said the whole process has been a roller coaster so far, the changes that everyone advised would happen after the birth of the kids are creeping in already. It is completely new to me to worry about things, but there is a lot of good advice above to be borne in mind. I have read this thread several times now, and no doubt will again over the coming weeks. Thanks again folks.
Old 05 June 2010, 11:34 PM
Flaps
Scooby Regular

We had a planned c-section in Feb for out little girl (our first) She was breech and my wife had high blood pressure so we opted against trying to turn her and went down this route instead. I was with my wife for the whole process.

She had a spinal to numb her before going in to theatre which she found uncomfortable but then they took her through and I had to wait while they prepared her, that seemed to take ages but was only 2/3 minutes. When I went in (in my gown and hat ) I had to sit 'up top' and there was a cloth hanging over her so neither of us could see anything. I kept looking in the reflection but one of the nurses saw this and stood in the way. No one passed out

It didn't take long to get the baby out but there was a lot of tugging on her, she was being pulled about a bit on the bed, it was quite brutal but my wife didn't feel anything. They cleaned the baby up (both of us were surprised to see she was blue!) and they then gave her to me while sorting out the Mrs. I bet the whole process took about 25 minutes from my wife going in to coming out of theatre.

The recovery wasn't much fun. For the first few days my wife could hardly move and bled quite a lot. She was in quite a lot of pain too. She got out of bed on day 3 and then things started getting easier, she came out of hospital on day 4.

At home she was told to take it easy which she found hard, it was a good job I had the 2 weeks off with them both! I didn't let her do anything, not that she really could have anyway. She was like a little old lady with her limited movement and surgical stockings! She had to wear these for 6 weeks.

14 weeks on and she still gets twinges in her stomach from time to time and her internals are still doing strange things but we have been told this is nothing to worry about.

It's hard seeing your wife go through all that but you need to think what's best for the baby and just be there for them both.

If I can be of any more help then just ask or drop me a pm.
Old 05 June 2010, 11:39 PM
Flaps
Scooby Regular

Oh and good luck to you all and let us know how it goes
Old 06 June 2010, 12:03 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

TT - your first few weeks are going to be really hard. The late night feeds when both of them need feeding need both of you there. The one book we found helped was Gina Ford's http://www.amazon.co.uk/Contented-Ho.../dp/0091906989

Some will say she's good, some will say she's the antichrist. For us, we adapted the book to how we worked as a family and our little ones have been great. Hard work, yes but it could have been so much worse.

All I can say is that you will eventually get some form of life back!

Good luck!!
Old 06 June 2010, 12:13 AM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Whatever happens ... 4 years later they do this to you....and the past dissolves a little

Old 06 June 2010, 12:54 AM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

Our twins were C section or as the doc said 'looks like a sunroof job'

No panic.Hospitals are far more savvy than people give them credit for

Good luck! Its a wallet emptying experience thereafter! ( but a joy)

Quick Reply: Planned cesarean delivery - worried....