Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Why does it need 100 coppers?

Search this Thread

Old 03 June 2010, 06:25 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Why does it need 100 coppers?

News reports say the Bird shootings will need 100 coppers to continue with the investigation.

Why so many? The whole world knows roughly what happened and the guy himself is dead thank goodness.

I'd have thought about a dozen cops and a couple of decent psychologists could easily wrap this up?

dl
Old 03 June 2010, 07:14 PM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

Its mostly red tape, You need a couple on scene guard 24 hours a day until the scenes are closed, You will need the search teams out and about collecting all the shot etc. You need FLO (family liaison officers) to work with the families who have lost someone.

You need officers to bring the charges and prepare the files to be sent to court and last of all you will need the officers for taskings such as taking statement.
Although everyone pretty much knows whats happened the families and the community involved are owed a thorough investigation and complete findings.

Does seem like a lot but I can see how 100 officers can be tied up dealing with it.
Old 03 June 2010, 08:09 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Timwinner
Its mostly red tape,

You need officers to bring the charges and prepare the files to be sent to court
Why? he's dead, what will they do charge him retrospectily??

Mart ?
Old 03 June 2010, 08:16 PM
jods
Scooby Senior

An inquiry of this kind requires an IQ of at LEAST 100 (National Average) hence.....

;-)
Old 03 June 2010, 08:19 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

According to plod there are 30 crime scenes to investigate...... so 3.33 cops per crime scene . Not sure what they do with the 0.3 though ....

Shaun
Old 03 June 2010, 08:35 PM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mart360
Why? he's dead, what will they do charge him retrospectily??

Mart ?
They will still charge with the crimes, if not then technically it will go un detected.
The families involved, although pretty much everyone excepts who did it, will still want someone to be guilty of the murder of their loved ones.
I know it sounds like a waste of time but as I said red tape issue and a bit of closure for the families.
Old 03 June 2010, 10:08 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by David Lock
News reports say the Bird shootings will need 100 coppers to continue with the investigation.

Why so many? The whole world knows roughly what happened and the guy himself is dead thank goodness.

I'd have thought about a dozen cops and a couple of decent psychologists could easily wrap this up?

dl
Evidence would suggest it was not as random as originally thought!
Old 03 June 2010, 11:10 PM
my94wrx
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Trout
Evidence would suggest it was not as random as originally thought!
+1, seems strange that he shot one person then asked another the time and walked off why not shoot the other?
Old 03 June 2010, 11:48 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Slightly off topic, I drove through Shipley the other night, where that other nutter has killed those prostitutes... The river there is all fenced off and there are a few coppers on guard.

Old 04 June 2010, 12:24 AM
speedking
Scooby Regular

What if someone else saw an opportunity and blasted their wife. Everyone assumed it was the taxi driver, another murderer gets off scot free. Every death must be confirmed to be by one of Bird's weapons, no-one else assisted him etc.

I wonder where they conjure up 100 officers at such short notice. I assume they would have been doing something else if this had not happened and not just sitting on their hands?
Old 04 June 2010, 12:39 AM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

100 officers is nothing. Believe me or not, this is/will cost the UK near a third of a Billion pounds over the next few years.

Ask anyone working on a restricted site at the minute.
Old 04 June 2010, 01:21 AM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Its mostly red tape, You need a couple on scene guard 24 hours a day until the scenes are closed, You will need the search teams out and about collecting all the shot etc. You need FLO (family liaison officers) to work with the families who have lost someone.

You need officers to bring the charges and prepare the files to be sent to court and last of all you will need the officers for taskings such as taking statement.
Although everyone pretty much knows whats happened the families and the community involved are owed a thorough investigation and complete findings.

Does seem like a lot but I can see how 100 officers can be tied up dealing with it.
I was going to put a stinging and thorough response, but Tim has beaten me to the point. Ah well.
Old 04 June 2010, 07:06 AM
cster
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ScoobyWon't
I was going to put a stinging and thorough response, but Tim has beaten me to the point. Ah well.
You can get back to your work then
Old 04 June 2010, 07:16 AM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I suppose now is the time to gather information, not once everything has been back to however normal it can
be after such an event, they will have experts going through everything to see also what can be learnt from
this to perhaps avoid it next time. As has been mentioned, they have to give each
Murder due process, if they don't sure as eggs are eggs they will be taken to task, ok
Whilst it is very raw at the moment over the coming weeks questions will be asked
How he got a gun, all legal but they need to have their house in order, one slip up can
Cost them millions of pounds and lost public support, people will be looking for
Someone to blame and potentially a few million quid.
Old 04 June 2010, 09:51 AM
gussy
Scooby Regular

Location: oop north in a spec-c.Now sold and starting on a classic ra track/sprint/road car
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Im from Whitehaven and everybody in the area just cant belive what has gone on what people dont understand who dont live in the area is that these killings were spread over a wide area its rural with lots of back lanes as midlife said earlier over 30 crime scenes cumbria has a very small police force compared to other countys and at the moment they are collecting all info that they can so they can build a picture of what was going through birdys mind when he started his killing spee.
Old 04 June 2010, 10:00 AM
Camoscooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by speedking
What if someone else saw an opportunity and blasted their wife. Everyone assumed it was the taxi driver, another murderer gets off scot free. Every death must be confirmed to be by one of Bird's weapons, no-one else assisted him etc.

I wonder where they conjure up 100 officers at such short notice. I assume they would have been doing something else if this had not happened and not just sitting on their hands?
Eating doughnuts

Serioulsly though, I can understand how an incident of this nature requires that amount of officers to complete a thorough investigation and ensure that any loose ends are tied up. I too work in a government position and the red tape/paperwork I encounter on a daily basis is problematic to say the least

I can only imagine what the paperwork involved in something like this would look like

I think I remember reading that there were some child witnesses to the shootings - I feel sorry for those little buggers..........
Old 04 June 2010, 12:20 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

At least 10 of them will be used to make the Tea's
Old 04 June 2010, 12:23 PM
Timwinner
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stilover
At least 10 of them will be used to make the Tea's
They sacked those officers and replaced them with civilians......Bloody Labour
Old 04 June 2010, 03:30 PM
john_s
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by speedking
Overtime.

From what was said on the radio the other day, they've borrowed some officers from Lancashire and Scottish borders too.
Old 04 June 2010, 04:03 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Well it will be a good reason for not being able to tick all the target boxes then!

Les
Old 04 June 2010, 10:46 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

They will still charge with the crimes, if not then technically it will go un detected.
The families involved, although pretty much everyone excepts who did it, will still want someone to be guilty of the murder of their loved ones.
I know it sounds like a waste of time but as I said red tape issue and a bit of closure for the families.

Man seen shooting people by witness's, fail to see how that one can go un detected.

Mart
Old 04 June 2010, 10:51 PM
lozgti1
Scooby Regular

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

I thought he'd cracked becase he drove a Citroen Picasso

Crime solved
Old 04 June 2010, 11:09 PM
scooby seb
Scooby Regular

This is a genuine question but how did he get to be driving around for 5 hrs and not be spotted or caught by the police, not knocking the police here but was'nt it over a 7 mile radius!!!

not trying to ruffle feathers just curious
Old 05 June 2010, 11:23 AM
GC8
Scooby Regular

I think that 100 involved officers is a surprisingly small amount, when you consider what happened.

Of course, news reports that 100 'detectives' were involved are probably attributable to poor journalism, rather than an excessive responce: which the OP seems to be concerned about.
Old 05 June 2010, 12:07 PM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by mart360
Man seen shooting people by witness's, fail to see how that one can go un detected.

Mart
You will still need to get all the statements, forensics etc from the incident. What if the family suddenly say that he was not the lone gun man and he was a scapegoat by the police.

What if someone else has seen what was happening and took the opportunity to settle a score with someone and shot them - knowing that the police would blame the original bloke.
Old 05 June 2010, 12:19 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Yes the whole business did cover a very wide area when you think about it.

Les
Old 05 June 2010, 12:23 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Im certainly quick to criticise poor policing, and poor police officers: but I feel that seeing the full picture here is far easier with the benefit of hindsight.