Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Getting the incorrect change!

Search this Thread

Old 02 June 2010, 10:54 AM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Getting the incorrect change!

My missus has throw a wobbler at one of the local shops as they have done her out of a tenner. A tenner ain't a great deal but she's a nutter(ginger) and hates being ripped off.

What happened is that she has had an overly chatty cashier, handed over £20 and only given a fiver back instead of £15. She left and noticed straight away, came back in and explained the situation. Cashier denied that she was given a £20 and won't give the rest of her change as apparently she never makes mistakes!

My opinion was, she's a daft cow and should have checked her change as soon as she got it, thus being her own fault but now she's going down after work to tear them a new arsehole!

Where exactly do you stand on getting the wrong change?
Old 02 June 2010, 11:18 AM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if they have a disclaimer she be fooked mate. responsibility of the customer to check their change as mistakes cannot be rectified after. you snooze you loose. just let her take her anger out on you, but in sexual, sensuous way.
Old 02 June 2010, 11:18 AM
Wish
Scooby Regular

Till should have been closed and then cashed up against the till, this would then show £10 over.
If the other transactions where correct of course !
Old 02 June 2010, 11:19 AM
Wish
Scooby Regular

Till should have been closed and then cashed up against the till, this would then show £10 over.
Old 02 June 2010, 11:31 AM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Wish

Or wait until the end of the day, some places it is not feasible to close the till an cash up everytime someone accuses you of mischanging them. If they genuinely think they have mischanged they will be back, if it is one of the many chancers out there they will not.

Not saying the op's missus is a chancer looking for a free tenner but the missus used to work on a till and used to get all sorts trying it on.
Old 02 June 2010, 11:33 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Wish
Aye, happened to me in the local Wetherspoons once. £20 note, couple beers and seemed £10 under changed. Questioned it to the lass on the bar, she was polite enough and said she would ask the manager. Manageress was a snooty cow and threatened to throw us out for being drunk (on 3 pints love? ).

Anywho I gave the line about speaking to the local rag on her attitude and calling the regional office as I hadn't done anything untoward. She obviously tarred me and my mates with the same brush for the regular **** heads.

Checked the till figures... £10 over.

She did not like swallowing her pride and coming over to apologise. To her credit though she offered a free round of drinks as means of apology (5-6 of us so about £12).

Do most shops not have those automatic type tills where change mistakes can be checked pretty quickly now? Or has your Mrs donned the shoe war mask and mace already no wonder your a miserable b@stard
Old 02 June 2010, 11:36 AM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

I'm sure I've read somewhere that a shop is not obliged to give you change if you 'overpay' for goods. However, it has become custom and practice to do so and to be honest, if a shop didn't give you change, you wouldn't go back!

Steve
Old 02 June 2010, 11:38 AM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This happened yesterday and when she rang up thismorng they said the till was grand so she must be wrong. As she lifted the money out of the cash machine right before going into the shop she is confident she did hand them £20.

So either they are lying, the cashiers a chancing thief or my missus is on drugs. Either which way I hope to God they are prepared for World War 3 as she's on a complete mission.

If this country had any morals, i'd be allowed to give her the back of the hand for causing this mess in the first place regardless of whos at fault.
Old 02 June 2010, 11:45 AM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had exactly the same last week, topped up the Oyster card with £5, gave the guy £20. He gave me the Oyster card and the receipt back and went on his way. Didn't trigger and I left. Went to cash point to get more money out for night on the beer, and wallet was empty - that's when it triggered. Guy started by saying that he had given me the change, then denied that I'de even been in his shop. I was away for less than 5 minutes. He couldn't prove whether the till was up or down because he wasn't using a till roll or tracking his sales. I ended up calling the police and, whilst they were frustrated by the guy's inconsistency, they were unable to do anything.
Old 02 June 2010, 11:51 AM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Gosh thats amazing public service ..!

Iv had the same ??? lapse of concentration when putting a mobile on top of car park ticket machine i suppose
Old 02 June 2010, 11:55 AM
kingofturds
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I must admit I have been done on those self service tills at asda a few times. I have taken the coins and left the notes in the bottom.
Old 02 June 2010, 12:34 PM
Norman D. Landings
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by kingofturds
I must admit I have been done on those self service tills at asda a few times. I have taken the coins and left the notes in the bottom.
Fecking things got me too! Never get cashback from them, it's way too easy to leave it in the machine
Old 02 June 2010, 12:40 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Not saying the op's missus is a chancer looking for a free tenner

Go on, tell him exactly what we are all thinking
Old 02 June 2010, 12:45 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

the missus used to work on a till and used to get all sorts trying it on.
Many Moons ago when I worked part time behind a Bar, I'd get people trying in on all the time.
Old 02 June 2010, 12:56 PM
phoenixgold
Scooby Regular

Fact of life - some people try it on and sometimes honest mistakes are made. To be fair, there's no proof either way unless the till is on CCTV. Gonna have to chalk this one down to experience and pay more attention in future.
Old 02 June 2010, 01:34 PM
coupe_20vt
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I had something very similar happen at a chippy a couple of weeks ago. I bought chips, 2 pieces of chicken and a bottle of coke, came to just under a fiver. I gave the bloke a £20 note and he gave me change for a tenner.

I said to him I'd given him a £20 and he said I'd given him a tenner I said to him again I'd given him a £20 and the women behind me in the queue piped up and said she was certain I'd given him a £20.

The chippy asked me to prove I'd given him a £20. Luckily for me I'd just been to the bank and withdrew £120 and all the notes were virgin notes. I placed the remaining 5 on the counter and said the serial number of the £20 in his till would either be xxx or yyy.

He refused to open his till to check so I said ok I'd call the police and accuse him of stealing from me (It was a hollow threat as I knew plod wouldn't be interested). However this appeared to work so he opend his till, took a tenner out, screwed it up and threw it at me and told me to f**k off out of his shop

I gladly picked up my tenner and to my suprise the 2 people in the queue behind me told him he was rude and they wouldn't be giving him their business

Moral to the story, when you hand over a £20 make sure the recipient knows its a £20 by telling them
Old 02 June 2010, 01:46 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Did you split the tenner wit your accomplice
Old 02 June 2010, 01:54 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by coupe_20vt
I had something very similar happen at a chippy a couple of weeks ago. I bought chips, 2 pieces of chicken and a bottle of coke, came to just under a fiver. I gave the bloke a £20 note and he gave me change for a tenner.

I said to him I'd given him a £20 and he said I'd given him a tenner I said to him again I'd given him a £20 and the women behind me in the queue piped up and said she was certain I'd given him a £20.

The chippy asked me to prove I'd given him a £20. Luckily for me I'd just been to the bank and withdrew £120 and all the notes were virgin notes. I placed the remaining 5 on the counter and said the serial number of the £20 in his till would either be xxx or yyy.

He refused to open his till to check so I said ok I'd call the police and accuse him of stealing from me (It was a hollow threat as I knew plod wouldn't be interested). However this appeared to work so he opend his till, took a tenner out, screwed it up and threw it at me and told me to f**k off out of his shop

I gladly picked up my tenner and to my suprise the 2 people in the queue behind me told him he was rude and they wouldn't be giving him their business

Moral to the story, when you hand over a £20 make sure the recipient knows its a £20 by telling them
mmm they must love being in business
Old 02 June 2010, 02:06 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by SwissTony
mmm they must love being in business
If you have a short term view of business, it would make quite a good plan. Short change everyone and only refund those who question it
Old 02 June 2010, 02:28 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JonMc
If you have a short term view of business, it would make quite a good plan. Short change everyone and only refund those who question it
Short change short term business wearing shorts, staffed by short people called Claire Short with flickering lighted premises caused by electrical shorts based in Shorten Nils, selling shortbread.............sorted (or shorted )
Old 02 June 2010, 02:31 PM
coupe_20vt
Scooby Regular

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dpb
Did you split the tenner wit your accomplice
Old 02 June 2010, 02:49 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

Originally Posted by coupe_20vt
I always do this

"Sorry but I've only got a £20, is that OK?"
Old 02 June 2010, 02:51 PM
JonMc
Scooby Senior

Annoying thing is I know it was £20 because the bus driver refused to take it, hence why I ran in to top up my oyster card
Old 02 June 2010, 03:14 PM
Dan Gleebits
Scooby Regular

Location: in a place where there lots of rocks to chuck at feejits

You've all missed the point.. OP's missus is a GINGA.. now , we ALL KNOW they cant fekkin' add up..

Old 02 June 2010, 03:23 PM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Location: It's like finding a cocktail sausage, when what you really wanted was a rather large saveloy.

w@nker!

Old 02 June 2010, 03:24 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

and if by magic the little ginge appears
Old 02 June 2010, 03:25 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

do you have a ginga tracking alert thingy running on your laptop that rings a bell wherever the keywords appear ??
Old 02 June 2010, 03:27 PM
Dan Gleebits
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by little-ginge
w@nker!

Id rather have a w@nk than be Ginga!!

Old 02 June 2010, 03:29 PM
Dan Gleebits
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SwissTony
do you have a ginga tracking alert thingy running on your laptop that rings a bell wherever the keywords appear ??
Its an interbred Day-walkers phenomonon (do do do doo doo )
they seem to pick up when one of their own is being sullied
Old 02 June 2010, 03:35 PM
little-ginge
Scooby Regular

Location: It's like finding a cocktail sausage, when what you really wanted was a rather large saveloy.

It's true *nods*

Quick Reply: Getting the incorrect change!