CD woes

Search this Thread

Old 24 May 2010, 10:35 AM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CD woes

I'll try explain this as best I can.

I tend to buy choons over the net and download them over buying CD's themselves. So I have an extensive library on my PC's external hardrive. I use the program which was on the PC when I bought it (5 years ago) to burn discs. This programs called "Sonic Record Now" and is uber easy to use. Now I usually burn MP3 discs for the car and audio discs for my DJ'ing (better sound quality IMO).

I've never thought about writing speeds before as this program is just so simple. The re-writer in the pc must have done 1000's of CD's by now so I'm not sure if this is partially my issue too - or the quality of the CDR's I buy.

So I've noticed of recent when playing on my CDJ's upstairs, one or two of the tracks may sound muffled or skittish, like a terrible sound quality.

Then I took some burnt audio CD's to a mates BBQ on saturday as he was getting his CDJ's out for a bit of a sesh. Now on one deck 75% of my CD's worked and on the other none did. I got the skittish and muffled sound again. His CD's however worked fine on his CDJ's.

I was kinda stumped as only one or two of mine were troublesome at home. So I've asked and it seems my issue may be partially a worn out re-writer (it's an IDE one which is approx £20 to replace) and also writing discs too quickly?

I've used all brands of discs from Sony to Asda, Phillips to Maxell etc.etc. with good results all round, but always written at one speed whether MP3 or audio CD.

Seems I'm in a situation where I need to get a decent program with adjustable burning speeds, a new re-writer just incase and about 600 new CD's to re-burn the stuff I would play out when DJ'ing. My worst fear is when I DJ this big night in July with a mate and my CD's don't work on their equipment.

For the record (pardon the pun) I have 2 Denon CDJ's and a Pioneer CDJ 1000mk3 at home (which has seen very few faulty CD's), the guy whos BBQ it was had CDJ 800mk1's and the place I'll be DJing at has Pioneer CDJ 1000mk3's too.

Any advice, similar situations, tip's & tricks etc much appreciated. I'm looking at around £20 for the re-writer, £60+ for the CD's (as I use CDR's not CD-RW) and a new decent but quick to use program. Oh, and about a week to do all these CD's

Ta

Andy
Old 24 May 2010, 10:41 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

My old car stereo used to be a right pain for CDR`s, and would only use 1 or 2 brands, everything else would not work, even though they worked in my hifi.

Maybe your mates need a lens clean.
Old 24 May 2010, 12:45 PM
phoenixgold
Scooby Regular

This doesn't usually crop up much now as most people don't bother writing to CD, just usually copy to ipod or similar!

If you go for a retail boxed copy of a CD writer, they will usually come with a copy of recording software.

If you are used to using that particular software, then I don't see the need to replace it. I would be very surprised if you can't choose the burn speed. Equally, if the majority of your CD's work with your decks, then I don't see that the drive needs replacing.

Most DJ's that I knew that used CD's would either carry their own kit or do a test ahead of time to ensure the club kit would work. Would it be a problem to take your decks?
Old 24 May 2010, 01:24 PM
Dedrater
Scooby Regular

Remember too, that burnt disks have a limited life span, they basically start to erode the day you burn them, due to influences from nature, more expensive disks are more robust, due to what ever dye materials they use (years since I have bothered with this sort of stuff) Some CDRs will only last a few months, others a few years. Retail CDs don't suffer from this as they are hard pressed.

You should, if you don't already, use only markers intended for CDs and not use sticky type labels on the disk.
Old 24 May 2010, 05:02 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by phoenixgold
This doesn't usually crop up much now as most people don't bother writing to CD, just usually copy to ipod or similar!

If you go for a retail boxed copy of a CD writer, they will usually come with a copy of recording software.

If you are used to using that particular software, then I don't see the need to replace it. I would be very surprised if you can't choose the burn speed. Equally, if the majority of your CD's work with your decks, then I don't see that the drive needs replacing.

Most DJ's that I knew that used CD's would either carry their own kit or do a test ahead of time to ensure the club kit would work. Would it be a problem to take your decks?
I'm in Scunny, the venue is in Leeds so it's not really possible to try out straight away. My equipment isn't really as good as theirs and there are other DJ's playing the same night so thats kinda out the question

I've looked on the program and can't see any particular setting for the writing speed. From the people I've spoken to who said the same as Dedrater below, if you write the discs slower the quality is better and they may last longer. My aim is to get decent CD's which will last a while and burn them at a slower speed.

Originally Posted by Dedrater
Remember too, that burnt disks have a limited life span, they basically start to erode the day you burn them, due to influences from nature, more expensive disks are more robust, due to what ever dye materials they use (years since I have bothered with this sort of stuff) Some CDRs will only last a few months, others a few years. Retail CDs don't suffer from this as they are hard pressed.

You should, if you don't already, use only markers intended for CDs and not use sticky type labels on the disk.
Only ever use CD markers, never used printable labels etc. as I thought they may play havoc with the discs.
Old 24 May 2010, 07:00 PM
LostUser
Scooby Regular

I always use CDBurnerXP for writing CD/DVDs these days. Excellent free program and definitely allows you to choose writing speed.

http://cdburnerxp.se/
Old 24 May 2010, 07:02 PM
LostUser
Scooby Regular

In terms of a CD/DVD writer, either of these should do the job. Depending on whether you've got IDE or SATA connections

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/156129

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/176026
Old 24 May 2010, 07:11 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LostUser
In terms of a CD/DVD writer, either of these should do the job. Depending on whether you've got IDE or SATA connections

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/156129

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/176026

Ooooh

Think I'll have one of them. Gonna figure out how much it is to buy it all from Scunny tomorrow from the computer shops (re-writer and 600 CD's) compared to next day delivery for everything off there.

Link is much appreciated.
Old 24 May 2010, 07:50 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Just made an order from Ebuyer. That same re-writer and 600 CD's.

£71 delivered tomorrow

Happy as ****.

Gonna check out the writing software now.
Old 24 May 2010, 08:01 PM
Jamz3k
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

COB just an FYI, i found the Maxell CD-R Audio disks to be completelyn flawless on my old CDJ800's mk2 and well just about every other application i've used them in.
Old 24 May 2010, 08:17 PM
daviee
Scooby Regular

+ 1 for the Maxell CD-R Audio disks, i find nero express a simple program usually get it free with lite on burners etc, has adjustible burn speed but i find 48 speed on a 52 speed discs work fine
Old 24 May 2010, 08:25 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Just downloaded the program LostUser linked above. Nice and simple to use.

But when I went to burn a test disc the only speed I could write at was 40x(7056kb/s).

Does this mean I have a rewriter only capable of writing at one speed?
Old 24 May 2010, 08:26 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Can you not use vinyls, like proper DJs?

p.s. you still owe me £50
Old 24 May 2010, 08:27 PM
ScoobyWon't
Scooby Regular

Old 24 May 2010, 08:30 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by ScoobyWon't

That'll be £100 now with your double post
Old 24 May 2010, 08:31 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
I'll try explain this as best I can.

I tend to buy choons over the net and download them over buying CD's themselves. So I have an extensive library on my PC's external hardrive. I use the program which was on the PC when I bought it (5 years ago) to burn discs. This programs called "Sonic Record Now" and is uber easy to use. Now I usually burn MP3 discs for the car and audio discs for my DJ'ing (better sound quality IMO).

I've never thought about writing speeds before as this program is just so simple. The re-writer in the pc must have done 1000's of CD's by now so I'm not sure if this is partially my issue too - or the quality of the CDR's I buy.

So I've noticed of recent when playing on my CDJ's upstairs, one or two of the tracks may sound muffled or skittish, like a terrible sound quality.

Then I took some burnt audio CD's to a mates BBQ on saturday as he was getting his CDJ's out for a bit of a sesh. Now on one deck 75% of my CD's worked and on the other none did. I got the skittish and muffled sound again. His CD's however worked fine on his CDJ's.

I was kinda stumped as only one or two of mine were troublesome at home. So I've asked and it seems my issue may be partially a worn out re-writer (it's an IDE one which is approx £20 to replace) and also writing discs too quickly?

I've used all brands of discs from Sony to Asda, Phillips to Maxell etc.etc. with good results all round, but always written at one speed whether MP3 or audio CD.

Seems I'm in a situation where I need to get a decent program with adjustable burning speeds, a new re-writer just incase and about 600 new CD's to re-burn the stuff I would play out when DJ'ing. My worst fear is when I DJ this big night in July with a mate and my CD's don't work on their equipment.

For the record (pardon the pun) I have 2 Denon CDJ's and a Pioneer CDJ 1000mk3 at home (which has seen very few faulty CD's), the guy whos BBQ it was had CDJ 800mk1's and the place I'll be DJing at has Pioneer CDJ 1000mk3's too.

Any advice, similar situations, tip's & tricks etc much appreciated. I'm looking at around £20 for the re-writer, £60+ for the CD's (as I use CDR's not CD-RW) and a new decent but quick to use program. Oh, and about a week to do all these CD's

Ta

Andy
Andy, burners have a limited lifespan of usually x thousand copies. As stated before CD-Rs go wánk in sunlight etc..
Old 24 May 2010, 08:44 PM
hux309
Also known as daz

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I tend to use maxell or kodak for my audio burns, they seem to have better longevity and no playback problems.

Those two cd burners are good, i have come from a samsung and now have the 24x liteon, you won't see much difference in the two.

Supposedly the best drive is an old nec optiarc 3540a which i have, thing sounds like a jumbo jet when taking off.

The cd/dvd brand isn't important, it's the manufacturer, you should be able to get the dye info from a good writing program.

Personally i use imgburn, it's much better than nero tbh.

There is a list somewhere as to what discs/dyes are best, i'll see if i can find it, either way taiyo yuden and verbatim are usually top quality.

Should say something like tyg01/tyg02 or mcc for the mitsubishi plant that verbatim and others use.

Here we go.

http://www.digitalfaq.com/reviews/dvd-media.htm

Last edited by hux309; 24 May 2010 at 08:52 PM.
Old 24 May 2010, 09:23 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyWon't

You're gonna have to pm me the £50 joke as I bet I do owe you £50 for the cover up right?
Old 24 May 2010, 10:21 PM
LostUser
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by chocolate_o_brian
Just downloaded the program LostUser linked above. Nice and simple to use.

But when I went to burn a test disc the only speed I could write at was 40x(7056kb/s).

Does this mean I have a rewriter only capable of writing at one speed?
Hmm. dunno. Are you burning Audio or Data CDs?

Do you get the dropdown box for speed but there's only one speed listed?
Old 24 May 2010, 10:33 PM
chocolate_o_brian
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by LostUser
Hmm. dunno. Are you burning Audio or Data CDs?

Do you get the dropdown box for speed but there's only one speed listed?
Audio CD's yep.

Drop down list is there, only one speed option 40x.

Tried it with Nero 7 and the write speed option is there.