Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

compensation??

Search this Thread

Old 12 May 2010, 05:13 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default compensation??

hi everyone,we have lived in the same house now for about 5 years,over the last year or so the bathroom and toilet area(downstairs) has developed a severe damp problem,the mrs foned up a few months back and had someone come out to have a look.(we are in rented property that is owned by a large housing association)he basically fobbed her off and she was made felt like she was wasting their time. since this the damp has spread to the extent that we have large fungi growing from the floor and out of the skirting boards,we have also seen woodlice as the skirts are going black,wet and rotting.so she foned again and someone else came out today,he was shocked at what he saw and has foned a plumber to come out tommorow to check for any leaks etc.my six year old son has developed asthma over this time and is now using inhalers etc.i think they will probably do something about it now.(maybe??) so earlier i took the bath panel off to find a leak from a pipe which is blatently the cause,it must have been like this for ages as its soaking everywhere,its even spread so when you go outside and look at the brickwork you can see that the water/damp is coming through the bricks aswell? asthma is not in any of our family and we firmly believe this is what has affected our sons health! looking for some info on what is the best thing to do here as i think we may have a case to claim compensation? i have pics of the damp and fungi!
Old 12 May 2010, 05:49 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Received 51 Likes on 34 Posts

The best thing to do would have been to look for the leak as soon as you saw there was a problem then fixed it.
Old 12 May 2010, 05:51 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

here are just a few pics.

Old 12 May 2010, 05:53 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JackClark
The best thing to do would have been to look for the leak as soon as you saw there was a problem then fixed it.
there is no way we would had any idea of a leak and it is totally not our responsibility either,we informed them when we noticed the start of the damp!thats when they fobbed us off!
Old 12 May 2010, 05:53 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I quite agree, you should have more insistent in the first place. Can't think you would get much in the way of compensation now.

Les
Old 12 May 2010, 05:55 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

these pipes were painted just a couple weeks ago.
Old 12 May 2010, 05:57 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie
I quite agree, you should have more insistent in the first place. Can't think you would get much in the way of compensation now.

Les
they were not even prepared to investigate it back then,it is only now they are starting to panic,as mentioned above my son has developed asthma in this time.its their doings by not investigating and fixing,its not down to us at all.
Old 12 May 2010, 05:59 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

so if you were fobbed off months ago and then your son/daughter developed a bad case of asthma,would you be saying"oh well its my own fault?" the housing association are responsible for all internal repairs.
Old 12 May 2010, 06:02 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

Whether I owned it or not I would have cleaned that up, how could you live with that growing in your bathroom?
Old 12 May 2010, 06:06 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

Whether I owned it or not I would have cleaned that up, how could you live with that growing in your bathroom?
the reason its in there is the actual fungi only started about a week ago and we insisted on leaving it there so that when they visit they can see for themselves how bad it is,otherwise they would have just fobbed us off again and done nothing about it.we have now got rid of the fungi as the place was inspected today and also ive got pics,if i had cleaned it up before they would have defo fobbed us off again.
Old 12 May 2010, 06:07 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

we were constantly repainting the place and it was just all coming back through. we are not skanks lol
Old 12 May 2010, 06:10 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

the bathroom and toilet are two seperate rooms at the back of the house(which is an extention) there has always been a damp problem and like i said they wouldnt do **** all about it......they said"not alot we can do about that my love"
Old 12 May 2010, 06:47 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

i think i may have a possible case?
Old 12 May 2010, 06:47 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

been on the fone to enviromental health office and went very well!
Old 12 May 2010, 06:55 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

Jesus

Good move calling in Environmental Health. Good luck, that needs sorting asap
Old 12 May 2010, 07:03 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

well i think they will probably sort it,but if they lame it like just try and cover it up then the enviromental health will be coming and i think ill have a case,(my sons asthma)personally i think its a major job to put right to the extent of having to knock the bathroom and toilet out and start again?i know that the plumber will spot the leak that i found today,but it looks as if its been leaking for so long.......its a bit more than just fix the leak now,its beyong that with the damage thats been caused!
Old 12 May 2010, 07:11 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Maybe you should be thankful that you are one of the lucky ones who has been provided accommodation at a preferential rate. There are many others out there that are not nearly as lucky.

If you were concerned about asthma (I have it), you would have cleaned up those fungi ages ago. Its just a leak, get over it. I've had whole ceilings come down, and I did not even think to ask for compensation. Life is too short to get up tight about stuff like this.
Old 12 May 2010, 07:16 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luminous
Maybe you should be thankful that you are one of the lucky ones who has been provided accommodation at a preferential rate. There are many others out there that are not nearly as lucky.

If you were concerned about asthma (I have it), you would have cleaned up those fungi ages ago. Its just a leak, get over it. I've had whole ceilings come down, and I did not even think to ask for compensation. Life is too short to get up tight about stuff like this.
read the posts properly!!!! the fungi only started about a week ago and it was left there for inspection!and as for the preferential rate,my house was an absolute ****e hole when we moved in and still is,and thats not through being lazy or lack of putting money into someone elses property!luckier than some i suppose but unluckier than many more!its not the leak im concerned about!if u have had ceilings fall down then more fool you for not asking!
Old 12 May 2010, 07:18 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

if the property owners do not carry out simple repairs when prompted and it affects my sons health,then i dont think ill just be "getting over a little leak" somehow do you?
Old 12 May 2010, 07:23 PM
JackClark
Scooby Senior

I think you're missing the point. If you cared about your sons health then you would have fixed the problem then put in a bill for repairs rather than asking for compensation for something that happens to all of us.
Old 12 May 2010, 07:24 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

I think you're missing the point. If you cared about your sons health then you would have fixed the problem then put in a bill for repairs rather than asking for compensation for something that happens to all of us.
im not a plumber and the leak was only spotted today.we were constantly cleaning and painting the damp!
Old 12 May 2010, 07:29 PM
Luminous
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 99greenwagon
im not a plumber and the leak was only spotted today.we were constantly cleaning and painting the damp!
So what are you complaining about then

I'm really glad Cameron has just got into power. I hope one of the first cuts he makes is to the benefits system and people like you. I HATE it when people complain about what they have been given to help them.

There are SOO many people worse off, and all you can do is think about how to take more out of a system that is already overstretched. What do you think will happen then? It means there is even less money to help other people like you.

Its a leak, they happen. Its only just been found, and if you keep the place clean while it gets fixed there won't be any issues for asthma.

Or were you hoping coming on here you'd get advice about how to get enough money for a free Plasma TV?? If you'd come on hear about how best to get your leak fixed you may have got a lot more sympathy.

All you cared to ask about is compensation cash, and that's got nothing to do with your leak. Cash that could be put to better use helping someone else out.
Old 12 May 2010, 07:36 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Luminous
So what are you complaining about then

I'm really glad Cameron has just got into power. I hope one of the first cuts he makes is to the benefits system and people like you. I HATE it when people complain about what they have been given to help them.

There are SOO many people worse off, and all you can do is think about how to take more out of a system that is already overstretched. What do you think will happen then? It means there is even less money to help other people like you.

Its a leak, they happen. Its only just been found, and if you keep the place clean while it gets fixed there won't be any issues for asthma.

Or were you hoping coming on here you'd get advice about how to get enough money for a free Plasma TV?? If you'd come on hear about how best to get your leak fixed you may have got a lot more sympathy.

All you cared to ask about is compensation cash, and that's got nothing to do with your leak. Cash that could be put to better use helping someone else out.
donkey! i pay every penny for rent and so does my mrs,we work our ***** off and are are no benefits at all. we struggle all the time and the reason im asking is if i do have a case to claim some compensation as the ******* wouldnt fix it but they are still keen to take our hard earnt cash then i would gladly try,my son developed asthma from this and it is their responsibilty after viewing it months back! dont bother posting unless you are genuinely trying to help! the "system takes all my cash and i stick to my end of the deal! if they cant stick to their end then ill try get some of MY cash back!(if i have a case)
Old 12 May 2010, 07:37 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Typical of so many people who sit on their backside and wait for someone to come and help.

I had a leak the other day.....

Before "phoning" my plumber (as I'm not one) I thought I'd try and find where it was coming from. You needed to do the same thing. In fact it was coming from a loose pipe on our shower pump if you are still reading I fixed it myself, so damp house.
Old 12 May 2010, 07:43 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davyboy
Typical of so many people who sit on their backside and wait for someone to come and help.

I had a leak the other day.....

Before "phoning" my plumber (as I'm not one) I thought I'd try and find where it was coming from. You needed to do the same thing. In fact it was coming from a loose pipe on our shower pump if you are still reading I fixed it myself, so damp house.
yeah thats right,"sit on my backside" and wait to fix something thats not even visible! i would be an idiot to try and fix something as i wouldnt have a leg to stand on if something went wrong,like ive said before i though it was an on going damp problem,but it got much worse,after they couldnt be arsed to investigate,thats when i did,its still 100% down to them to put it right!
Old 12 May 2010, 07:54 PM
Wish
Scooby Regular

Compensation .... I dont think so.

And we wonder why this country is in such a state !
Old 12 May 2010, 07:54 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Lee247
Jesus

Good move calling in Environmental Health. Good luck, that needs sorting asap
totally agree
Old 12 May 2010, 07:55 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Wish
Compensation .... I dont think so.

And we wonder why this country is in such a state !
did u not look at the pictures?
Old 12 May 2010, 07:56 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

google it and u will see why im asking!
Old 12 May 2010, 07:57 PM
99greenwagon
Scooby Regular

one thing is for sure if i do have a case and get any compensation ill be laughing at u!

Quick Reply: compensation??