Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Anybody know France well?

Search this Thread

Old 21 April 2010, 04:07 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anybody know France well?

Hello, can anybody tell me roughly where this place is?

CERGY PONTOISE CEDEX - FRANCE

I've googled away but because I don't know France very well can't figure out where it is. I need to know how far it is from places like Paris, Calais etc.

Thanks
Old 21 April 2010, 04:11 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

30 miles from Paris, easy enough to get to from the payage. quicker from le harve rather than calais
Old 21 April 2010, 04:17 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bigsinky
30 miles from Paris, easy enough to get to from the payage. quicker from le harve rather than calais
Thanks mate.

Could you tell me if I wanted to get there quickly and cheaply from London what you be the best means? I would want to get back the same day.

Also is the electricity over there the same as here What I mean is would an electrical appliance bought there work here
Old 21 April 2010, 05:28 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

It's on the outskirts of Paris, as mentioned above, the "cedex" part is part of the postal address that refers to an industrial estate, afaik.

Are you SURE that whatever you are going to buy is THERE, that's it's not just the head office? That happens a lot in those kinds of addresses. I'd NOT travel unless you know for sure.

Electrical appliances will work over here but you'll have to cut the plug off and wire in a UK plug, or see if you can get hold of one of those adpators that accept the French plug INSIDE the UK plug, and are screwed shut, they look like a slightly oversized UK plug, I have one on my Nikon charger. If you cut off the plug, you effectively lost your warranty

You could Eurostar to Paris, RER to Cergy Pontoise, then taxi or walk to the place. That would be doable the same day, not cheap though. Alternatively, drive to Dover, day ferry return to Calais, drive to Cergy Pontoise, around 3.5 hours.

http://www.multimap.com/maps/?qs=cer...20Val-d%27Oise
Pretty rough area, btw.
Old 21 April 2010, 05:29 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

It's on the outskirts of Paris, as mentioned above, the "cedex" part is part of the postal address that refers to an industrial estate, afaik.

Are you SURE that whatever you are going to buy is THERE, that's it's not just the head office? That happens a lot in those kinds of addresses. I'd NOT travel unless you know for sure.

Electrical appliances will work over here but you'll have to cut the plug off and wire in a UK plug, or see if you can get hold of one of those adpators that accept the French plug INSIDE the UK plug, and are screwed shut, they look like a slightly oversized UK plug, I have one on my Nikon charger. If you cut off the plug, you effectively lost your warranty

You could Eurostar to Paris, RER to Cergy Pontoise, then taxi or walk to the place. That would be doable the same day, not cheap though. Alternatively, drive to Dover, day ferry return to Calais, drive to Cergy Pontoise, around 3.5 hours.

http://www.multimap.com/maps/?qs=cer...20Val-d%27Oise
Pretty rough area, btw.
Old 21 April 2010, 05:38 PM
redrum1974
Scooby Newbie

220-240v in France but a different plug therefore you can use an adapter or re-wire the plug

FYI - Cedex is the equivalent to a postcode and is a 5 digit number (if I remember correctly)

Cheapest would be the eurotunnel by car to calais then the A16 motorway to Paris and a few miles around the peripherique (equivalent to the M25)

You will need a high vis vest for each person in the car and a red triangle - the French cops will give you a big fine for not having these or for speeding - all fines payable on the spot or car impounded - and they love stopping the brits.

Have fun. Tom
Old 21 April 2010, 06:26 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I think your actual cheapest would be newhaven dieppe rouen paris .
isnt the ride from calais to paris an expensive toll ?
Old 21 April 2010, 06:49 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Thanks. Given the thirst of my car and the price of petrol it maybe better to try and avoid that option. Added to that the hassle of driving on the wrong side of the road in a country I haven't been to in 20 years etc

The plug isn't a problem as long as the leccy is the same as the item comes with one of those removable IEC type cables, so I just buy a UK one?

Alcazar, I'm assuming they are based there according to their website. Problem is its in bloody French and I don't understand a word of it

I'll get a mate to decipher it and make sure.

How about Eurostar to Paris and then a train? How much does that cost in the middle of the week?
Old 21 April 2010, 07:30 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Have you heard of google maps?

Of course Le Harve may be close than Calais, but have you seen how long the ferries take, how often they sail and how much they cost?
Old 21 April 2010, 08:25 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

is it really 240 quid return on the chunnel ?
Old 22 April 2010, 01:38 PM
redrum1974
Scooby Newbie

it probably is that expensive if you don't book well inadvance - my wife books all my stuff very early.

How big is the appliance - do you need to go by car or can you carry the item as hand luggage - to Paris and back by coach might be dirt cheap?
Old 22 April 2010, 06:39 PM
Dingdongler
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by redrum1974
it probably is that expensive if you don't book well inadvance - my wife books all my stuff very early.

How big is the appliance - do you need to go by car or can you carry the item as hand luggage - to Paris and back by coach might be dirt cheap?
Sorry guys but found it cheaper in Germany, and I maybe able to convince him to post it to me even though he isn't allowed to. Price in Germany £1700, price in UK £2750!

Thanks to all those that helped and sorry to waste your time
Old 22 April 2010, 08:02 PM
Jamie
Super Muppet

I can speak it